Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yum pretzels! I use them to dip in hummus or peanut butter. Or use crumbled for a dessert base layer. I love a multigrain rustic style bread for sandwiches. That’s a bunch of bread!

I recall having read your post but took a phone call and didn't respond. I was eyeing those pretzels, too, as that is my favorite snack. Perfect with peanut butter! I also like apple slices with peanut butter or Laughing Cow cheese, pear slices with a little blue cheese. My other favorite snacks include Baby Bel Lite, nuts and dried fruit, hummus with pita or raw veggies, guac and tortilla chips. I occasionally indulge in a little dark chocolate (Lindt 70% cocoa bar is awesome). Not a big fan of popcorn, but we always have some in the pantry.

What are your go-to snack foods?

Saturday I went to the stadium for the monthly USDA grocery distribution. I wasn't going to go but figured Easter will be a big meal. My youngest still has her hand in a brace. So food prep will be helpful for her. Maybe assemble some freezer meals for her.

It was awesome to get so much fresh produce. They gave us an Easter Lily so I had to look up how to care for it. I've been thinking about where I want to plant it later on. They asked if I wanted a chicken and I said yes. That is one big bird! Kinda surprised at those 2 little containers of coffee.

I texted a friend with "Do you want some mushroom food?" Ha! Thankfully, she came over and took all the stuff we're allergic to and the jalapeño peppers. I also gave her that hot Italian sausage from last week.

This morning another friend wanted to meet up so I boxed up 3 kinds of cereal, macaroni and cheese, tuna, spaghetti, and the cupcakes. She has 3 grandsons who will be thrilled.

Attachments

• 82380E62-D1A0-42C1-AA94-5E9BDA53C012.jpeg
    82380E62-D1A0-42C1-AA94-5E9BDA53C012.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 37
  • B393E1A1-53B5-47CB-BCCB-14BF41ACDAE6.jpeg
    B393E1A1-53B5-47CB-BCCB-14BF41ACDAE6.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 18CDF900-DE36-441E-910B-5E7362BEFB6D.jpeg
    18CDF900-DE36-441E-910B-5E7362BEFB6D.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 24679F95-DB67-4E8C-BF62-02E77C25B69C.jpeg
    24679F95-DB67-4E8C-BF62-02E77C25B69C.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 65268044-B152-4D7B-B497-E264D0E7C8F1.jpeg
    65268044-B152-4D7B-B497-E264D0E7C8F1.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 31
I recall having read your post but took a phone call and didn't respond. I was eyeing those pretzels, too, as that is my favorite snack. Perfect with peanut butter! I also like apple slices with peanut butter or Laughing Cow cheese, pear slices with a little blue cheese. My other favorite snacks include Baby Bel Lite, nuts and dried fruit, hummus with pita or raw veggies, guac and tortilla chips. I occasionally indulge in a little dark chocolate (Lindt 70% cocoa bar is awesome). Not a big fan of popcorn, but we always have some in the pantry.

What are your go-to snack foods?
Well, I packed snacks for my trike trip. My plan was to go today. But my friend, who’s husband was just diagnosed with terminal cancer, wanted to meet up. I’m glad she got out of the house today. Tomorrow is a good trike day too.

Attachments

• 8AFF80D6-FF5D-43EC-AE52-98C7EBC0072A.jpeg
    8AFF80D6-FF5D-43EC-AE52-98C7EBC0072A.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 39BE5B5C-7E12-47EE-8C8A-5ABD78531B90.jpeg
    39BE5B5C-7E12-47EE-8C8A-5ABD78531B90.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 28
Saturday I went to the stadium for the monthly USDA grocery distribution. I wasn't going to go but figured Easter will be a big meal. My youngest still has her hand in a brace. So food prep will be helpful for her. Maybe assemble some freezer meals for her.

It was awesome to get so much fresh produce. They gave us an Easter Lily so I had to look up how to care for it. I've been thinking about where I want to plant it later on. They asked if I wanted a chicken and I said yes. That is one big bird! Kinda surprised at those 2 little containers of coffee.

I texted a friend with "Do you want some mushroom food?" Ha! Thankfully, she came over and took all the stuff we're allergic to and the jalapeño peppers. I also gave her that hot Italian sausage from last week.

This morning another friend wanted to meet up so I boxed up 3 kinds of cereal, macaroni and cheese, tuna, spaghetti, and the cupcakes. She has 3 grandsons who will be thrilled.

that's a good haul!
just keep the lily away from cats if you have them

Well, I packed snacks for my trike trip. My plan was to go today. But my friend, who’s husband was just diagnosed with terminal cancer, wanted to meet up. I’m glad she got out of the house today. Tomorrow is a good trike day too.

I'm sorry that your friend's husband has terminal cancer. I'm sure she appreciates that you were available to meet up with her today.

On the subject of kitchen appliances, I found this quiz quite amusing :D

22 Nostalgic As Seen On TV Cooking Products (buzzfeed.com)
I actually purchased a rotisserie grill/oven that looked like the Ronco one but was a different brand. It worked very well and was fun but took up a lot of counter space for something we didn’t use often.

I have a George Foreman grill, a friend gave it to me couple years ago when they were moving. It makes really good grilled cheese.

Several people I know have the Nu Wave oven and use it regularly.

My mom had a Veg -O-Matic chopper when I was a teenager, but she only used it a couple of times then put it up high on a pantry shelf and probably forgot about it.

Interesting quiz!

On the subject of small appliances, does anyone have a bread maker?

I love fresh baked bread, and it was always my favorite when I first started baking. When I was a teenager my favorite book was James Beard’s “Beard on Bread.” I nearly had the book memorized, and that is how I learned to bake bread.

I couldn’t afford to buy the book but our library had a couple of copies. I would check out a copy, renew it two weeks later, then return it. Then check it out again a few days later, renew it, return it, and so on.

When bread makers first came out I was excited, but of course they were very expensive. Before long they started showing up in garage sales so I bought one. I was disappointed though, as the bread machine bread wasn’t as good as the bread I baked by hand.

I love fresh baked bread, and it was always my favorite when I first started baking. When I was a teenager my favorite book was James Beard’s “Beard on Bread.” I nearly had the book memorized, and that is how I learned to bake bread.

I couldn’t afford to buy the book but our library had a couple of copies. I would check out a copy, renew it two weeks later, then return it. Then check it out again a few days later, renew it, return it, and so on.

When bread makers first came out I was excited, but of course they were very expensive. Before long they started showing up in garage sales so I bought one. I was disappointed though, as the bread machine bread wasn’t as good as the bread I baked by hand.
I had one and used the dough cycle only. Then take it out, knead it and put it in my loaf pan to rise. Baking it in the bread machine always over baked it. I used it for years.

Birdie and I tailgated with my snacks today! Gorgeous day at the park. Rode the trail twice. Saw an enormous gator.

Attachments

• D0ADEF7C-1698-43A6-9596-78F2CACE0A02.jpeg
    D0ADEF7C-1698-43A6-9596-78F2CACE0A02.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 2A8E0575-2A77-41A3-B6AF-EADC9F833560.jpeg
    2A8E0575-2A77-41A3-B6AF-EADC9F833560.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 554AD9B6-77EB-47B3-AAB8-A10CC1D083C5.jpeg
    554AD9B6-77EB-47B3-AAB8-A10CC1D083C5.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 43

I have a fairly expensive unit and it really does work well. We bake bread in it and use dough function to make rolls. It’s a zojirushi.
I’ve only had one loaf not work and that was error on me and not following the recipe.

I had a quick office visit with my PCP yesterday (for labs) after which DH and I went to Nino's. We got everything on our list - except eggs that were $4.99 to $6.99 a dozen depending on size and brand. DH will get them at Meijer. Local Dearborn brand spiral sliced hams are $4.99# at Nino's, but Meijer has the same hams for $3.99#.

Hoping that everyone will have a nice holiday weekend. Be well.

I had a quick office visit with my PCP yesterday (for labs) after which DH and I went to Nino's. We got everything on our list - except eggs that were $4.99 to $6.99 a dozen depending on size and brand. DH will get them at Meijer. Local Dearborn brand spiral sliced hams are $4.99# at Nino's, but Meijer has the same hams for $3.99#.

Hoping that everyone will have a nice holiday weekend. Be well.

Happy Easter, Bette and all!

Checked egg prices at Baytown TX Kroger while shopping today. $2.69 for a dozen basic eggs, no idea how that compares to previous prices, haven’t bought eggs in years. Got a couple of prime rib roasts for $4.99 a pound that we will vacuum seal and put into freezer.

I had sticker shock today at Wal-Mart. No meat, nothing expensive, beans, lentils, frozen veggies, the most expensive items were Splenda, and Starbucks coffee pods for work...$236!!! Campbell's soup is a lot more expensive, $1.85 a can. The Progresso soup is getting pricey too.

Although, my grocery bills are higher now, not that I am a hoarder, but I buy three items of something, when I used to buy one. Because there are some serious supply chain issues now with some items.

We have the rotisserie :D
Has been used v v successfully for several T-day turkeys and some other random stuff. It is huge though- currently lives on top of the fridge.

I actually purchased a rotisserie grill/oven that looked like the Ronco one but was a different brand. It worked very well and was fun but took up a lot of counter space for something we didn’t use often.

I have a George Foreman grill, a friend gave it to me couple years ago when they were moving. It makes really good grilled cheese.

Several people I know have the Nu Wave oven and use it regularly.

My mom had a Veg -O-Matic chopper when I was a teenager, but she only used it a couple of times then put it up high on a pantry shelf and probably forgot about it.

Interesting quiz!

I went to Publix to get milk. $4.80/gal and there were only 2 that were whole milk. No half gallons of whole milk at all. The shelves were nearly empty.

A dozen large generic eggs were $3.59. Kielbasa was 2/$8 and they had the kind I like. But I forgot BBQ sauce. They’re not for tomorrow so it’s no biggie.

Sargento cheese slices were 2/$6 so I got the Colby Jack that I like.

Plain full size bagels $5/bag. I prefer the mini ones but they were out. I will have to freeze at least 3 of the 5 bagels.

I wanted a stuffed crust cheese pizza. DiGorno $9.89 for what looks like a 12” pepperoni pizza. It hit the spot tho.

I noticed most everyone’s cart was half full. I wonder if it’s the prices or they didn’t need much. I think I’m the only one who wore a mask.

These grocery prices are painful. My husband and I decided that we are going to eat from our freezer and pantry as much as we can for awhile. I've been more mindful about meal planning and using up stuff before it goes bad. Tossing out spoiled food was always wasting money but even more so now. I cut open an avocado today that was brown inside and all I could think about was how much I spent for it! I have a greenhouse that I mostly puttered around in for therapy :p, but now I'm setting things up to grow pretty seriously. I'm growing a lot of greens in rain gutters because they are compact, don't use as much potting soil, and don't take as much water. Shallow rooted veggies, greens, and radishes do great in them. I have radishes, spinach, chard, collards, and beet and pea microgreens going. I'm on my second crop of leaf lettuce, pak choi, and kale. And I always have herbs growing in there. I've even been watching youtube videos about hydroponics and I'm going to try a bit of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member