Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent $110 at Publix this morning. I can't believe I spent that much. Maybe $20 of it was paper products. Toilet paper $11.49. BOGO paper towels $6.29 for 4 rolls of Brawny. Parchment paper $2.89. A gallon of milk $4.59. Bread $3.63 a loaf. The Publix brand spaghetti sauce was cheaper than what was on BOGO. I got a small 9 oz package of turkey lunch meat for $5.59. The 48 oz bag of King Arthur Gluten Free flour was $9.79. I got shredded cheese that was BOGO. I decided to get regular lasagna noodles $2.59. I'll make small pans and freeze them for me. A pricey splurge these days but it will make a number of meals for me.

After I got all that back home and put away, I went to the church for their USDA Grocery pick up. They weren't too busy and they asked if I had kids. I said I have 2 so they gave me extra food. After I left I realized they must have meant school kids. I'm not sure tho. They didn't have that many more people in line.

Anyway, they gave me bags and bags of produce. Some of it was spoiled and I had to toss it. But a lot of it is usable and will be very helpful. I can't eat the hot Italian sausage but I may find someone who can. It went right in the freezer. Kudos to Trader Joes for the donations this time.

I'm not sure why they gave me so much bread. Most of it I can't eat but I did put the loaf I can eat in the freezer. I'll share it with friends. I now have enough pretzels for an army but they're a great dry salty snack when you're on chemo.
Yum pretzels! I use them to dip in hummus or peanut butter. Or use crumbled for a dessert base layer. I love a multigrain rustic style bread for sandwiches. That’s a bunch of bread!

OT/Related to rising prices. Besides food and gas, are there other products or services where you've experienced price hikes? My Merry Maids housekeeping company raised their rates several weeks ago due to rising gas and product prices. DH and I had hair and nail appointments yesterday and learned that the nail salon raised their prices $2 per service since our last visit. Our hair stylist hasn't raised her prices yet but is seriously considering a $1 or $2 hike per service. We encouraged her to adjust her pricing due to rising costs of just about everything. She and her boutique salon colleagues are expecting their landlord to raise the rent, and they have noticed rising costs in products. When they were able to resume services following the Covid lockdown, they invested in PPE for the facility so clients would feel comfortable and safe in the 3-chair salon but didn't raise prices to offset their PPE costs. We've all experienced rising food and gas prices, but have you noticed other price hikes in goods and/or services?

Last edited:
OT/Related to rising prices. Besides food and gas, are there other items or services where you've experienced price hikes? My Merry Maids housekeeping company raised their rate several weeks ago due to rising gas and product prices. DH and I had hair and nail appointments yesterday and learned that the nail salon raised their prices $2 per service since our last visit. Our hair stylist hasn't raised her prices yet but is seriously considering a $1 or $2 hike per service. We encouraged her to adjust her pricing due to rising costs of just about everything. She and her boutique salon colleagues are expecting their landlord to raise the rent, and they have noticed rising costs in products. When they were able to resume services following the Covid lockdown, they invested in PPE for the facility so clients would feel comfortable and safe in the 3-chair salon but didn't raise prices to offset their PPE costs. We've all experienced rising food and gas prices, but have you noticed other price hikes in goods and/or services?
Rent. Retirement apartments increased $300-$500 per month from 2-3 months ago. For seniors. On a fixed income.
Food quality decreased, now resembles elementary school type menus. Requires cooking at home and transporting (more gas) meals to supplement.

OT/Related to rising prices. Besides food and gas, are there other products or services where you've experienced price hikes? My Merry Maids housekeeping company raised their rates several weeks ago due to rising gas and product prices. DH and I had hair and nail appointments yesterday and learned that the nail salon raised their prices $2 per service since our last visit. Our hair stylist hasn't raised her prices yet but is seriously considering a $1 or $2 hike per service. We encouraged her to adjust her pricing due to rising costs of just about everything. She and her boutique salon colleagues are expecting their landlord to raise the rent, and they have noticed rising costs in products. When they were able to resume services following the Covid lockdown, they invested in PPE for the facility so clients would feel comfortable and safe in the 3-chair salon but didn't raise prices to offset their PPE costs. We've all experienced rising food and gas prices, but have you noticed other price hikes in goods and/or services?

Our scavenger Waste Removal Service is usually the first to increase fees, when they can. Paid every three months, with a weekly pick-up they increased the fee over 10.00 for 'fuel-adjustment'. In the last twenty years plus, I have never seen their 'fuel adjustment' go so high. Everything we purchase from now on, will have that 'fuel adjustment' in their bill....whether we are informed of it or not.

I’ve wanted a toaster oven for a long time. My little $6 toaster from Walmart is 4-5 years old and is about dead. My daughter keeps saying it will catch fire.

So on Amazon the toaster oven I like is $47. It’s a small boring one. Nothing fancy for sure. I think it will eventually save me money from firing up the big oven. Particularly in the summer. But, I can’t bring myself to click the checkout button. Maybe after my SS check comes I’ll feel better about splurging.

I’ve wanted a toaster oven for a long time. My little $6 toaster from Walmart is 4-5 years old and is about dead. My daughter keeps saying it will catch fire.

So on Amazon the toaster oven I like is $47. It’s a small boring one. Nothing fancy for sure. I think it will eventually save me money from firing up the big oven. Particularly in the summer. But, I can’t bring myself to click the checkout button. Maybe after my SS check comes I’ll feel better about splurging.
Do you have an air fryer? We didn’t have one but after the toaster oven died and the toaster sparked - I bought a combo air fryer/toaster/roaster. Love it.
Think I paid $75 for it locally.
Will run on the generator and doesn’t heat up the kitchen.

Do you have an air fryer? We didn’t have one but after the toaster oven died and the toaster sparked - I bought a combo air fryer/toaster/roaster. Love it.
Think I paid $75 for it locally.
Will run on the generator and doesn’t heat up the kitchen.
No, I haven’t looked at those. I’m not sure I’d use it much.

I’m not wild about appliances sitting out taking up space. My kitchen isn’t tiny but isn't huge either. I keep my can opener in a drawer, don’t own a coffee pot or blender. My Betty Crocker rotisserie, waffle iron and my canner is in the garage.

No, I haven’t looked at those. I’m not sure I’d use it much.

I’m not wild about appliances sitting out taking up space. My kitchen isn’t tiny but isn't huge either. I keep my can opener in a drawer, don’t own a coffee pot or blender. My Betty Crocker rotisserie, waffle iron and my canner is in the garage.

Really, think about a small airfryer. My husband uses it for toast. And it is useful for so many other items. We love ours.

I know how you feel. I suffer guilt pangs every time I buy something when I think of others starving, homeless, and cold.

Even so, you need it, buy it, it WILL save you money you will need.

O/T. Car prices, esp. used have gone through the roof.

If you want a new car, it’s probably on back order.

If you need/want a new couch/sofa, you will be wait listed and pay approx. twice the normal price.

ETA: in reply to BDE’s question.

Last edited:
O/T. Car prices, esp. used have gone through the roof.

If you want a new car, it’s probably on back order.

If you need/want a new couch/sofa, you will be wait listed and pay approx. twice the normal price.

ETA: in reply to BDE’s question.

I wonder if this is regional? We were just at Costco, they had several sofas available. And I recently purchased a used car, not too pricey.

Although, we had to get a van, and I think that due to gas prices, I think that the price of "gas hogs" is going down.

Last edited:
Really, think about a small airfryer. My husband uses it for toast. And it is useful for so many other items. We love ours.
I rarely use my oven because it heats up my kitchen. I have a toaster oven/air fryer that has 9 functions. I bake biscuits, muffins, bread pudding, chicken, etc, It’s my favorite appliance.

I wonder if this is regional? We were just at Costco, they had several sofas available. And I recently purchased a used car, not too pricey.

Although, we had to get a van, and I think that due to gas prices, I think that the price of "gas hogs" is going down.
New and used are scarce.
The chip shortage comes home to roost: Ford suspends operations at a major U.S. plant as the shortage continues to batter the auto industry
Took 6 months to find a decent used truck that had less than 100,000 miles on it.
Bought a floor model sofa because ordering one was 6-8 weeks out. Didn’t think about Costco, but it’s over an hour drive one way.
JMO

Yes everything, too many to name atm but I’ll think about some specifics to name after my nap.

I looked at the air fryers on Amazon. Too pricey and too big. I can’t imagine I’d use it more than a few times. Then, I looked at the combo toaster oven / air fryer. There’s one for $69 or so. The reviews mention that it’s not going to cook food like a traditional air fryer. I’m not swayed. I don’t want to have to clean it either.

I had this little Black & Decker toaster oven for years. We used it to do a single serving of tater tots, bake 2-3 cookies, toast, etc. That’s all I will use it for, especially now that the girls are in their own place. Cooking for one doesn’t warrant a huge expense.

At Publix, they barely had any tater tots and zero bags of the Crispy Crowns! I have my stash tho. I forgot cooking spray, dang it.

Also re car shortage- also affecting the rental market - our car was totaled in August had to get a rental. Took several days to get one. Nothing available. Spouse says rental companies had sold off a lot of their inventory during pandemic ? Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay