Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 2 produce pick ups and my USDA Grocery pickup this week, I was given four gallons of 2% milk! Unfortunately they were all 3-4 days out of date and I couldn’t find anyone to give them to. Sadly, I poured them down the drain.

I know there’s a lot of spoilage and tossed items if the food bank can’t get items distributed. That’s why they give us so much and ask us to share with others. Not everyone can get to a scheduled pickup but I usually can.

I took a huge pile of produce to my friend who hasn’t had child support in 2 months. I thought she was going to cry she was so grateful. I also gave her a frozen pack of some type of thin beef so she is making beef veg soup now too! We’ve got to keep taking care of each other regardless of whether we qualify for the food bank or not!!

Do you like yogurt? I used to make it. I know there are actual yogurt makers, but I just used a meat thermometer and an electric blanket wrapped around the pot. Milk plus a few spoonfuls of Fage, but I’d add heavy cream sometimes too.

behind a paywall.

Gist of article is finding ways to maximize meat purchases while prices are high. Suggestions include:

*monitor prices - take advantage of sales & stock up
*purchase quality product
*buy direct
*use less
*buy whole cuts and process them yourself
*drop a grade
*use lesser cuts
*be creative

Gist of article is finding ways to maximize meat purchases while prices are high. Suggestions include:

*monitor prices - take advantage of sales & stock up
*purchase quality product
*buy direct
*use less
*buy whole cuts and process them yourself
*drop a grade
*use lesser cuts
*be creative

Thank you! :)

Take the bite out of meat costs (detroitnews.com)

You don’t have to be an economist to know that food prices are going up.

And up.

While you can’t halt inflation or fix supply chain issues, you can shop smart. Especially when it comes to meat purchases, often your biggest-ticket food item. Here’s how to be frugal and still serve fabulous food...

yep in the last week I've noticed increases cause I compare shop a lot and always have things in my online carts

The food bank in our area has 3 types of food pickups. Many of the churches participate in the distributions. The church I go to for the regular grocery pickup gives me household products like toilet paper, napkins, paper plates, shampoo, hand lotion, etc.

A USDA Grocery pickup includes meat, dairy, produce and dry goods.

A Grocery pickup doesn’t usually have meat or dairy but may have some produce.

A produce pickup always has fresh produce, whatever is in season. Sometimes you’ll get milk too.

Put in your zip code on this site to find one close to you. Some do require eligibility such as low income.
FoodFinder

Sorry that it took me so long, but thanks @PayrollNerd

Btw: you can freeze milk if you pour a little out. I have cleared out my freezer, so hopefully I can find some meat mark-downs to fill it with.

I found some low quality steak on mark down for $3.80/lb, which is much cheaper than ground beef or stew meat. I trimmed the fat off, cubed it up and put it in the slow cooker with some veggies.
The dogs and I have been enjoying it since then.

My oldest took me to the Super Target tonight. The shelves weren’t as bare as Publix. We bought the cheeses and sauce to make the gluten free lasagna.

I couldn’t find the Jimmy Dean precooked turkey sausage crumbles. But we did get the last 1 lb chub of Target brand turkey sausage. It’s for the breakfast cups since I can’t make a casserole. (They were out of the tater tots too) I’ll make the breakfast cups with eggs, cheese, veggies in the cupcake pan.

The girls went strawberry picking today. $3/lb and the berries were small and not all that ripe. Kinda underwhelming for them. It’s a great childhood memory but different this year. I couldn’t go due to bone pain but also I can’t walk the fields anymore. But I’m glad they went together, just the two of them. New memories.

Grocery stores continue to feel stress of supply chain issues

I haven't noticed this lately, but then again, I rarely shop. Maybe once a month or so at Costco. My husband shops once a week with his "Senior Companion", they stopped that program last year, it was really tough for a lot of people. Especially his Companion, who counts on the job for extra money.

Has anyone tried the new Mulino Bianco Italian cookies made by Barilla? Where did you purchase them?

I keep seeing ads for them online and would like to try them but would like some feedback. TIA

Link to what the packages look like:

Mulino Bianco | Free Shipping Orders $59+ | Yummy Bazaar

The Galletti cookies are simply delicious and dangerously easy to eat at any time of day/night! They’re shortbread-like, not too crumbly and not soft. The texture reminds me of the Girl Scout cookies called Trefoils, if you know them. The Galletti are buttery in flavor, with coarse sugar crystals on top, and they’re slightly larger than a domino tile in size. They go great with coffee and tea, and they’re my favorite of all of the MB cookies (I have also had the wagon wheel-shaped cookies called Girotondi, which are also good, and the diamond-shaped cookies, which are just a bit too plain for my taste).

Tonight was the monthly USDA Grocery pick up at the school. I waited over an hour in line. I may have been #30 in line. There were a lot of cars. I don’t know how people are feeding their families with the rents almost doubling here in SWFL.

There was a young man in a truck that they knew by 1st name. They gave him 4 of everything. You’re allowed to pick up for others if you have their card number. He looked tired and he was filthy like he’d been working in construction all day. I was thinking how kind that was of him to come get things for others.

There are some odd things in this pickup that I’ll need to find a home for. Like the bucket of peanut butter and jug of grapefruit juice. But over all a nice assortment for me to food prep with.

Attachments

• E8883F28-042B-4F0A-A76C-A946BF76BCC8.jpeg
    E8883F28-042B-4F0A-A76C-A946BF76BCC8.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 601AE8E2-4EB8-4905-9EC7-2A5E02B8FB48.jpeg
    601AE8E2-4EB8-4905-9EC7-2A5E02B8FB48.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 56
  • BF4D52E7-4D62-44C4-89C5-D0FE11B389CF.jpeg
    BF4D52E7-4D62-44C4-89C5-D0FE11B389CF.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 5E8F6BF8-F774-4D83-A466-9FFBE7695E95.jpeg
    5E8F6BF8-F774-4D83-A466-9FFBE7695E95.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 769CCD5F-2AE3-44A5-95E4-58FDBA4594E9.jpeg
    769CCD5F-2AE3-44A5-95E4-58FDBA4594E9.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 59
  • C4D2FA82-4985-4C2D-B3F2-F12CC0BDEEEF.jpeg
    C4D2FA82-4985-4C2D-B3F2-F12CC0BDEEEF.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 48
The food bank gives us some odd stuff sometimes. I’ve learned a lot about food from everyone here educating me on what stuff is and what to do with it. Like the loaf of Keto Bread sitting in my fridge that I likely won’t eat. I’m trying to find someone who wants it.

if you have local free stuff groups, you can post in there and someone may want to pick up - I'm in some of those in my area - freecycle or gifting groups

if you have local free stuff groups, you can post in there and someone may want to pick up - I'm in some of those in my area - freecycle or gifting groups
Good idea. I went by the Little Pantry that the church fills yesterday. It only had 2 water bottles in it!! It’s right next to the bus stop bench. I’m going to load up some of the cans with the pop top lids. I’ll go put them in there for people. I’m afraid to put in boxes of Mac and cheese due to bugs. Maybe I could put them in a ziploc bag first. Hmmm.

Tonight was the monthly USDA Grocery pick up at the school. I waited over an hour in line. I may have been #30 in line. There were a lot of cars. I don’t know how people are feeding their families with the rents almost doubling here in SWFL.

There was a young man in a truck that they knew by 1st name. They gave him 4 of everything. You’re allowed to pick up for others if you have their card number. He looked tired and he was filthy like he’d been working in construction all day. I was thinking how kind that was of him to come get things for others.

There are some odd things in this pickup that I’ll need to find a home for. Like the bucket of peanut butter and jug of grapefruit juice. But over all a nice assortment for me to food prep with.
Oh my gosh! A gallon of Clorox 360!
It goes in the electrostatic spray machines that the cleaners use. Expensive stuff!

I’m thinking peanut butter bars with frosting.....mmmm.

Oh my gosh! A gallon of Clorox 360!
It goes in the electrostatic spray machines that the cleaners use. Expensive stuff!

I’m thinking peanut butter bars with frosting.....mmmm.
I have no clue what I’m suppose to use that Bleach 360 for. I noticed the picture of a machine on the front. I looked up that machine you mentioned. Maybe I can clean my concrete patio? No clue.

We are allergic to nuts so hopefully a zealous peanut butter fan will appear in my orbit soon.

Monday I picked up produce and tomorrow, I will also pick up more produce. Food prep day tomorrow. Kiddo has decided she doesn’t need veggies this week. I must have loaded her up too much last week. So I’m sharing with friends who are tight on funds.

I went to Publix tonight. The cereal aisle and the juice aisle were filled more. Still some empty spots but not near as much. I wanted original Cheez-It crackers that were 2 for $6 but they were out. Bummer. They are my go to first thing before meds snack. I had to buy huge boxes of cereal to get the sale price. I’m going to bag some up because it will go stale before I can use it all. Another dry snack before meds option.

I’ve made 2 trips to the Little Red Pantry at the church by the bus stop. It makes me happy to know someone can use the food that I cannot. Most of the stuff I put in there yesterday was gone by the time I went today. Pop top cans, boxes of raisins, jar of peanut butter, jelly, etc. Today I included precooked brown rice, instant mashed potatoes, cans of beef stew that will require a can opener, more peanut butter and jelly, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay