Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I found 2 of the gluten free items I needed. The bread for Tday dinner and graham crackers. I could not find a GF graham cracker crust that wasn’t burnt or broken. The MiDel brand isn’t very tasty anyway. So I will make one for their chocolate cream pie.

The third item is GF lasagna noodles. I found some made with brown rice. We were not impressed with them in texture, how well they held together and taste. I am going to ask at Publix if they’ll order them to sell. Sometimes they’ll do that if they stop carrying an item. If you ask they’ll start carrying it again. The pandemic may have been why they don’t carry them now. Maybe they can’t get them. I looked on Amazon but all the reviews state they’re broken on arrival.

Attachments

• 226D997F-9D24-4E9A-8173-E3E2A24CEFCF.jpeg
    226D997F-9D24-4E9A-8173-E3E2A24CEFCF.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 22
Just put a 4# bird in my slow cooker. I fashioned a rack with Reynolds Wrap so the chicken does not sit in its juices. Seasoned well with Kosher salt, pepper, Nino's no-salt savory rub. Added several sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme. I will make some type of gravy/sauce for serving, and we'll have acorn squash as accompaniment. There will be enough chicken for a second meal: I'm thinking about enchiladas with my own sauce.

Just put a 4# bird in my slow cooker. I fashioned a rack with Reynolds Wrap so the chicken does not sit in its juices. Seasoned well with Kosher salt, pepper, Nino's no-salt savory rub. Added several sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme. I will make some type of gravy/sauce for serving, and we'll have acorn squash as accompaniment. There will be enough chicken for a second meal: I'm thinking about enchiladas with my own sauce.

You ALWAYS have some delicious sounding menu ideas.

You are an amazing cook- I am salivating reading your post LOL

You ALWAYS have some delicious sounding menu ideas.

Thank you :) The slow-cooker chicken was done sooner that I expected. While the chicken doesn't brown (we don't eat the skin, anyway), it is falling-off-the-bone tender and juicy. There was about a cup of flavorful drippings that I added to chicken stock for gravy. DH decided that he wanted noodles instead of acorn squash. Nothing wrong with chicken and noodles with gravy. There is plenty of chicken left for another meal.

Thank you :) The slow-cooker chicken was done sooner that I expected. While the chicken doesn't brown (we don't eat the skin, anyway), it is falling-off-the-bone tender and juicy. There was about a cup of flavorful drippings that I added to chicken stock for gravy. DH decided that he wanted noodles instead of acorn squash. Nothing wrong with chicken and noodles with gravy. There is plenty of chicken left for another meal.

How long do you cook it in the slow cooker????

Your Rosemary Chicken sounds delish.
I slow cook whole chickens in the crock pot often. I salt and pepper the chicken put onion and celery in the breast cavity, add about 2 cups of water and cook about 7 hours (depending on size of bird). I strain the broth and use it for my home made noodles.
Always have leftover chicken for a casserole and sandwiches.

I had a large order for pick up last night at Walmart. It included Thanksgiving groceries. I got each item I ordered. They did have to substitute a few items, but I was surprised to get everything with all the talk of shortages.

How long do you cook it in the slow cooker????

I hadn't ever cooked a whole chicken in a slow cooker before, so I did research and read a bunch of recipes. Cook times vary by size of bird and whether cooked on high, low, or a combination of the two. Most said not to use liquid as it will make the chicken "soupy". Also, if you don't have a rack that fits into the crock, make one by rolling aluminum foil into a log and shaping it in an oval to fit under the chicken or make several balls of foil and make a "nest" for the chicken. We did the latter, and it worked perfectly. I didn't add vegetables, but the "rack" under the bird can be made with potatoes, carrots, onions, or other root vegetables. Season the chicken well with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and/or fresh herbs, and place lemon slices, onion, garlic in the cavity for additional flavor. We started the slow cooker on high and reduced heat to low after two hours. The chicken was completely done in 4 hours. Recipes that suggest only slow cooking for a 4-5# bird indicated 7-8 hours. After two hours on high heat, we could already smell the chicken, and it was sizzling, so we set the heat to low for the remainder of the cook time until the chicken was done.

Last edited:
Two produce pick ups this week and they are so helpful! Now we can plan our menu. The bird is in the fridge thawing. Now to look at collard green recipes.

Attachments

• FB695457-62C2-4CA2-BD07-DE2FC599AF05.jpeg
    FB695457-62C2-4CA2-BD07-DE2FC599AF05.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 6E35C601-1126-4D66-ADE7-192FA80D2896.jpeg
    6E35C601-1126-4D66-ADE7-192FA80D2896.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 24
I found the GF lasagna noodles I was looking for!

I also found a box of tea I haven’t had in years.

Attachments

• 3AB8E857-B6E9-45AB-9128-D9ED818C87DF.jpeg
    3AB8E857-B6E9-45AB-9128-D9ED818C87DF.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 32EB92FF-3011-4FC8-91CF-6C5A2240C065.jpeg
    32EB92FF-3011-4FC8-91CF-6C5A2240C065.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 19
I went back to my Publix, since it didn't sustain any damage from the vet office A/C fire last week. I had forgotten onions and milk. The 1/2 gallon of milk shelf wasn't very stocked. I also picked up more Butter Flavored Crisco for my Christmas cookie baking. I figured I should get it while it was on the shelf. The store was busy and not very many people wearing masks!

Today we will be brining our turkey, making the pomegranate jello, boiling eggs for deviled eggs, making rolls, and baking pumpkin cheesecake pies. I hope you all have a lovely day before Thanksgiving in the kitchen.
Oh, pumpkin cheesecake pie…I’ll confess. I had FIVE pieces of pie at dinner. But but but, they were all small, thin slices so that every could sample all the lusciousness of the pies that were presented.

I am generally not a procrastinator and tend to do things as soon as possible. That said, DH and I have put off going to Nino's for our holiday weekend needs until today. Salvaggio employees always tell customers that their two busiest days each year are the day before Thanksgiving and December 23 - regardless of what day Christmas falls. The market is open until 6:00PM tomorrow for the very-last-minute customers and those picking up party trays, catering orders, etc.

We plan to make Cioppino on Christmas and want the seafood to be as fresh as possible. This is the reason that we waited until today to do our last-minute grocery shopping. We know the store will be very crowded, but we will be patient and make the best of it. There will be holiday music playing, and employees and most patrons will be in a festive mood. We will wear masks and hope that employees and other customers will be donning masks, as well. We don't have a time limit but figure that we should be able to get everything in about an hour. I made two lists - one for each of us. DH will go to the seafood counter while I shop for produce, dairy, and bakery items. That's the plan: Hope it works :D

I am generally not a procrastinator and tend to do things as soon as possible. That said, DH and I have put off going to Nino's for our holiday weekend needs until today. Salvaggio employees always tell customers that their two busiest days each year are the day before Thanksgiving and December 23 - regardless of what day Christmas falls. The market is open until 6:00PM tomorrow for the very-last-minute customers and those picking up party trays, catering orders, etc.

We plan to make Cioppino on Christmas and want the seafood to be as fresh as possible. This is the reason that we waited until today to do our last-minute grocery shopping. We know the store will be very crowded, but we will be patient and make the best of it. There will be holiday music playing, and employees and most patrons will be in a festive mood. We will wear masks and hope that employees and other customers will be donning masks, as well. We don't have a time limit but figure that we should be able to get everything in about an hour. I made two lists - one for each of us. DH will go to the seafood counter while I shop for produce, dairy, and bakery items. That's the plan: Hope it works :D

You are very organized--Nino's is a great store where you can get all things you need for your special dinner-- sounds like you are ready for the crowd!!!

You are very organized--Nino's is a great store where you can get all things you need for your special dinner-- sounds like you are ready for the crowd!!!

Actually, Christmas Cioppino is for the two of us, although my brothers are welcome to join us if they choose. We're having Christmas Eve dinner at Picano's (Troy). The only times that we dined out on Christmas Eve was during holiday trips to Disney World when DD was growing up. Picano's is always very festive for the holidays, and we know that we will have exemplary food and service.

OT: We did it! We booked a 10-night cruise for January 28, 2023 on the Enchanted Princess. If the pandemic has subsided, and we are both in good health, we will fly to Fort Lauderdale on January 27 - my birthday. It's a long way off, and airline bookings aren't available until sometime next summer.

Actually, Christmas Cioppino is for the two of us, although my brothers are welcome to join us if they choose. We're having Christmas Eve dinner at Picano's (Troy). The only times that we dined out on Christmas Eve was during holiday trips to Disney World when DD was growing up. Picano's is always very festive for the holidays, and we know that we will have exemplary food and service.

OT: We did it! We booked a 10-night cruise for January 28, 2023 on the Enchanted Princess. If the pandemic has subsided, and we are both in good health, we will fly to Fort Lauderdale on January 27 - my birthday. It's a long way off, and airline bookings aren't available until sometime next summer.

That is awesome-- I truly believe the pandemic will be gone by then!!!!
So much to look forward to!!!!!!!

Just got back from the hair salon--I am a new woman!!!!
My stylist did a great hair cut and style-- My hair really
was a disaster area when I walked in--- Everybody in
the salon was really nice and they are very strict with
their masking policy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics