Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nino's was crazy busy like we knew it would be, but we were only there for about 40 minutes. DH dropped me off so I could get started on my list right away while he looked for a parking spot. I had to ask someone in the produce department to restock fennel, and I hadn't seen the Halos (clementines) outdoors and had to go out to get them. They were out of fresh mussels, so DH got a bag of frozen mussels that are already cooked. Our Cioppino will have shrimp, little neck clams, sea scallops, mussels, swordfish, fennel, shallots, garlic, Pinot Grigio, seafood stock, and canned diced tomatoes. We will enjoy it with toasted sourdough bread with garlic/herb butter.

It started snowing just before we were leaving for Nino's, and we drove through a couple of squalls along the way. It snowed heavily while were shopping, and the roads were getting slick and sloppy on the way home. We saw a couple of spinouts, and what appeared to be a multi-vehicle accident at a turnaround just north of a busy intersection. There were several police cars with flashing lights. A few minutes later, an ambulance with lights and siren passed us on the other side of the road; not sure if it was related to the accident. We were glad to get home safely. Instead of cooking, we noshed on a prepackaged charcuterie board with two types of salami, white cheddar, olives, chocolate covered cranberries, and crackers. Looking forward to a lovely dinner at Picano's this evening. We'll record Jeopardy! and It's a Wonderful Life in case we're not home in time.

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with family and/or friends. Stay safe and be well.

Last edited:
Nino's was crazy busy like we knew it would be, but we were only there for about 40 minutes. DH dropped me off so I could get started on my list right away while he looked for a parking spot. I had to ask someone in the produce department to restock fennel, and I hadn't seen the Halos (clementines) outdoors and had to go out to get them. They were out of fresh mussels, so DH got a bag of frozen mussels that are already cooked. Our Cioppino will have shrimp, little neck clams, sea scallops, mussels, swordfish, fennel, shallots, garlic, Pinot Grigio, seafood stock, and canned diced tomatoes. We will enjoy it with toasted sourdough bread with garlic/herb butter.

It started snowing just before we were leaving for Nino's, and we drove through a couple of squalls along the way. It snowed heavily while were shopping, and the roads were getting slick and sloppy on the way home. We saw a couple of spinouts, and what appeared to be a multi-vehicle accident at a turnaround just north of a busy intersection. There were several police cars with flashing lights. A few minutes later, an ambulance with lights and siren passed us on the other side of the road; not sure if it was related to the accident. We were glad to get home safely. Instead of cooking, we noshed on a prepackaged charcuterie board with two types of salami, white cheddar, olives, chocolate covered cranberries, and crackers. Looking forward to a lovely dinner at Picano's this evening. We'll record Jeopardy! and It's a Wonderful Life in case we're not home in time.

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with family and/or friends. Stay safe and be well.
That all sounds so lovely. Merry Christmas to you and Mr. BDE. Enjoy Picano's tonight. Mr. Pirate and I are headed off to Real Seafood Co. in Ann Arbor as is our tradition. We will sit in the window and slurp oysters and watch the last minute hustle and bustle of Main Street.

That all sounds so lovely. Merry Christmas to you and Mr. BDE. Enjoy Picano's tonight. Mr. Pirate and I are headed off to Real Seafood Co. in Ann Arbor as is our tradition. We will sit in the window and slurp oysters and watch the last minute hustle and bustle of Main Street.

I love oysters! Slurp a few for me :D

I know you and hubby will enjoy a wonderful dinner at Picanos!!
Merry Xmas to you and your family

My produce pick up this morning was filled with good stuff. Only one icky bell pepper and one icky yellow squash. They offered me a case of bananas! I declined. One of my best friends hasn’t had child support in 2 months so I’ll be sharing with her along with my 2 kiddos.

Attachments

• F8C54004-993C-419E-94C6-7AD432817210.jpeg
    F8C54004-993C-419E-94C6-7AD432817210.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 0323EFFC-3458-49EA-B18F-375C2D58B74F.jpeg
    0323EFFC-3458-49EA-B18F-375C2D58B74F.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 4B6E0041-9986-4FFF-8FA4-BFDB6A6AFAF9.jpeg
    4B6E0041-9986-4FFF-8FA4-BFDB6A6AFAF9.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 27
Tonight I went to the USDA Grocery pick up. I didn’t realized they’d give me more produce. Lots to share on top of 2 gallons of 2% milk, some kind of fruit smoothie drink that I can’t have and more mushrooms. My oldest was hoping for lentils so she’s excited.

Attachments

• D3511B14-77B3-495E-8313-F64897B56122.jpeg
    D3511B14-77B3-495E-8313-F64897B56122.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DABCFE90-A02D-4471-A4A0-565BE484DDF5.jpeg
    DABCFE90-A02D-4471-A4A0-565BE484DDF5.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 3DFA374B-B4A7-4212-A3A8-23BD54F2F5AC.jpeg
    3DFA374B-B4A7-4212-A3A8-23BD54F2F5AC.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 36
What's the USDA grocery pickup?
The food bank in our area has 3 types of food pickups. Many of the churches participate in the distributions. The church I go to for the regular grocery pickup gives me household products like toilet paper, napkins, paper plates, shampoo, hand lotion, etc.

A USDA Grocery pickup includes meat, dairy, produce and dry goods.

A Grocery pickup doesn’t usually have meat or dairy but may have some produce.

A produce pickup always has fresh produce, whatever is in season. Sometimes you’ll get milk too.

Put in your zip code on this site to find one close to you. Some do require eligibility such as low income.
FoodFinder

I went to Publix at 8:00am thinking it would be reasonably stocked and less crowded. Thursdays are when the new sale flyer comes out. I kept wondering, Where is all our food? So many shelves of product were so depleted or completely bare. I’ve never seen the cereal aisle that empty, even during the lead up to a big hurricane!

In the frozen potato section there were very few bags of French fries and zero bags of tater tots. I was looking for the flat crispy crown tots that I use as a crust for my breakfast casserole. No luck.

I did find the frozen Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties and the frozen Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits. I can make sausage biscuits for breakfast. It’s cheaper to buy the two items separately and assemble my own. I can scramble an egg and add cheese if I want to.

I had to get paper towels and toilet paper which was about half stocked and stupidly overpriced. I needed little garbage bags and could only find one brand that wasn’t scented! Who the heck doesn’t take their trash out often enough that they need perfume in their bag?!?! LOL!

I found some unsalted beef broth without stuff in it I can’t eat. I cut up the 2 steaks the food bank gave me, poured the beef broth over them and turned the crockpot on low. I’m going to make beef veg soup. The steaks are Angus beef and were slightly freezer burned but should make good soup. I’ll have to make the soup on the stove because I have a 1/2 size crockpot. It’s perfect for me tho. It’s going to be 45 in the morning which is cold for wimps like me.

I went to Publix at 8:00am thinking it would be reasonably stocked and less crowded. Thursdays are when the new sale flyer comes out. I kept wondering, Where is all our food? So many shelves of product were so depleted or completely bare. I’ve never seen the cereal aisle that empty, even during the lead up to a big hurricane!

In the frozen potato section there were very few bags of French fries and zero bags of tater tots. I was looking for the flat crispy crown tots that I use as a crust for my breakfast casserole. No luck.

I did find the frozen Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties and the frozen Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits. I can make sausage biscuits for breakfast. It’s cheaper to buy the two items separately and assemble my own. I can scramble an egg and add cheese if I want to.

I had to get paper towels and toilet paper which was about half stocked and stupidly overpriced. I needed little garbage bags and could only find one brand that wasn’t scented! Who the heck doesn’t take their trash out often enough that they need perfume in their bag?!?! LOL!

I found some unsalted beef broth without stuff in it I can’t eat. I cut up the 2 steaks the food bank gave me, poured the beef broth over them and turned the crockpot on low. I’m going to make beef veg soup. The steaks are Angus beef and were slightly freezer burned but should make good soup. I’ll have to make the soup on the stove because I have a 1/2 size crockpot. It’s perfect for me tho. It’s going to be 45 in the morning which is cold for wimps like me.
Lol, I always wonder about those scented bags. IMO they smell worse than my trash. And my trash does not smell really because I take it out if it does.
The cereal aisle in our major stores have been pretty bare. Seems all they can get in is the sugary types. I like those but I prefer to eat bran flakes, wheat squares and the less sugary ones for the fiber. They were nowhere to be found at Meijer. I did find them at the two smaller, fancier stores. They were 2 dollars more per box but I stocked up anyways. Five dollars for a whole box is still several breakfasts. I also love oatmeal so I bought a giant tub of original oats that cook on the stove.

Take the bite out of meat costs (detroitnews.com)

You don’t have to be an economist to know that food prices are going up.

And up.

While you can’t halt inflation or fix supply chain issues, you can shop smart. Especially when it comes to meat purchases, often your biggest-ticket food item. Here’s how to be frugal and still serve fabulous food...

In my 2 produce pick ups and my USDA Grocery pickup this week, I was given four gallons of 2% milk! Unfortunately they were all 3-4 days out of date and I couldn’t find anyone to give them to. Sadly, I poured them down the drain.

I know there’s a lot of spoilage and tossed items if the food bank can’t get items distributed. That’s why they give us so much and ask us to share with others. Not everyone can get to a scheduled pickup but I usually can.

I took a huge pile of produce to my friend who hasn’t had child support in 2 months. I thought she was going to cry she was so grateful. I also gave her a frozen pack of some type of thin beef so she is making beef veg soup now too! We’ve got to keep taking care of each other regardless of whether we qualify for the food bank or not!!

Attachments

• 9C43EF36-1952-484E-903D-C465F8AE1031.jpeg
    9C43EF36-1952-484E-903D-C465F8AE1031.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20
...I took a huge pile of produce to my friend who hasn’t had child support in 2 months. I thought she was going to cry she was so grateful. I also gave her a frozen pack of some type of thin beef so she is making beef veg soup now too! We’ve got to keep taking care of each other regardless of whether we qualify for the food bank or not!!

Thank you for your generosity and kindness. You are a gem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc