Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was food day. First I went to the produce pick up. Then to Publix for basic stuff like milk. This evening I went to the USDA Grocery pick up. Holy cow they gave me a ton of stuff including 2 more boxes of produce! I haven’t even looked thru the box of dry goods yet.

I’m hoping my youngest will swing by tomorrow to get some veggies. I’m glad to see some Beyond Meat items, a vegan pizza and a gluten free burrito. She’ll be thrilled to have those items. She will likely take the ice cream and gelato because I will not eat either of them.

So, food prep day tomorrow. Time to look up recipes!

I stopped by The Little Red Pantry and put a number of things in there that we can’t used. I included 2 bottles of hand sanitizer too. Someone else had added items. It’s good to know others are sharing too.

Attachments

• 07894FA4-D947-431F-B6FF-DE5970F97B3B.jpeg
    07894FA4-D947-431F-B6FF-DE5970F97B3B.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 14C75345-B2BE-487C-85A6-C9F79377BE37.jpeg
    14C75345-B2BE-487C-85A6-C9F79377BE37.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 37D0B21C-2203-4762-9444-C2289188BEDD.jpeg
    37D0B21C-2203-4762-9444-C2289188BEDD.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 6B2C8C71-4B78-4DAE-A3E4-51866569A484.jpeg
    6B2C8C71-4B78-4DAE-A3E4-51866569A484.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 33
I broke down and went to Walmart - because that is the only place I can find my Aim non-mint toothpaste. It was 10am so not super busy but I stayed away from others, wore my mask and did my own checkout. I noticed the selection of items was greatly reduced. I was looking for a flavored pasta or rice mix to go with my chicken. All I could find was a family size box of chicken flavored Rice A Roni. There were no small boxes and no other flavors besides a few called Rice Pilaf.

There was more juice and cereals available. The amount of Easter candy was an entire aisle. I guess that is where they're making their money this month. The low sodium Walmart brand of bacon was still under $5 and I actually was surprised. I expected items like that to be pricier.

I could not find gluten free wraps nor were they at Publix last week. That's disappointing because I buy 1 pack which has 6 in it. I eat 2 and always give the rest to one of my kids. I do have corn wraps but I don't particularly care for them when you're using turkey and cheese.

There were plenty of paper products so I picked up a package of toilet paper since I'm about to open the one I have on hand.

I think the frozen food delivery trucks must be delayed or something. At Publix today almost every single frozen case had some empty shelves. Well, except ice cream.

I did find my frozen Pillsbury biscuits and Jimmy Dean frozen turkey sausage patty’s. I found the gluten free tortilla wraps. I didn’t get lunch meat tho. It was $13-$15/lb! I think I’ll use them for soft tacos.

I could only find the family size box of original Cheez-It’s for $6.99! I almost didn’t get them but it’s one of the only things that helps my stomach tolerate my chemo cocktail each morning.

My aunt & uncle gave me a $50 Publix gift card so my groceries were under $30. I swear the prices were doubled on most things. I kept looking at things I thought would be nice to have and just put them back on the shelf.

This food chain supply thing is worrisome. My garden is sprouting like crazy. Thank goodness.

I think the frozen food delivery trucks must be delayed or something. At Publix today almost every single frozen case had some empty shelves. Well, except ice cream.

I did find my frozen Pillsbury biscuits and Jimmy Dean frozen turkey sausage patty’s. I found the gluten free tortilla wraps. I didn’t get lunch meat tho. It was $13-$15/lb! I think I’ll use them for soft tacos.

I could only find the family size box of original Cheez-It’s for $6.99! I almost didn’t get them but it’s one of the only things that helps my stomach tolerate my chemo cocktail each morning.

My aunt & uncle gave me a $50 Publix gift card so my groceries were under $30. I swear the prices were doubled on most things. I kept looking at things I thought would be nice to have and just put them back on the shelf.

This food chain supply thing is worrisome. My garden is sprouting like crazy. Thank goodness.
I’ve noticed the shortages in frozen goods and other things, not to mention the costs down here in SE TX. I’m looking into long term storage of some basics with plastic buckets, desiccants and oxygen absorbers. I just don’t know where to store it.

Has anyone noticed that egg prices are rising? Ten days ago, a dozen eggs were $1.99. The same brand was $3.99 over the weekend. We haven't bought chicken lately, so I don't know if chicken prices are up, too. I did notice that Nino's roast chicken is up to $7.99 but is featured at 6.99 this week. The only whole roast chicken that we like is $4.99 from Costco.

Has anyone noticed that egg prices are rising? Ten days ago, a dozen eggs were $1.99. The same brand was $3.99 over the weekend. We haven't bought chicken lately, so I don't know if chicken prices are up, too. I did notice that Nino's roast chicken is up to $7.99 but is featured at 6.99 this week. The only whole roast chicken that we like is $4.99 from Costco.

I have chickens and ducks so I haven’t looked at egg prices lately. I do know feed costs have risen. I’m still giving away a lot of eggs to the church to help families that need them. I think two weeks ago I gave away about 20 dozen. Meat prices have risen as well, I would love to raise and process another batch of broilers but with our upcoming move I’m trying to cutback on things that are potentially perishable.

Sorry - I missed posting this one.. Our supplier told us last week it would be a 2.oo increase for eggs last Friday for Monday deliveries. Could go up again next week.

Poultry is definitely up and will go up again, we received early reports that it was up .03 cents from today for tomorrow. Chickens usually get a bit stronger during spring, but this is very early for it. Lamb is also higher (Easter), briskets will be higher as well (Passover)

The freezer is decently stocked but will be a different story when hurricane season starts and gas is so expensive. People won’t be able to afford to run generators for days/weeks. Or idle on the highway on the evacuation route.
Food stock is low now, I can’t imagine it will be better in 2-4 months.

I went to the grocery for a few items this afternoon. Almost no canned cat food on the shelves and no half and half. I can get along without half and half, and the cat is used to dry food I buy in 5 lb bags.

We support our local food pantry and will continue to do so. More people are going to need help as prices rise.

From what I have seen here, I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled that amount. Especially with the war in Ukraine and Russia. Wheat prices may rise, and other items.
My kids are gluten free and can't eat wheat. My oldest is concerned that those who can't find wheat flour, will then buy the bean based flours that are gluten free. We can't use nut based flours either due to food allergies. So we're forced to use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 flour or King Arthur GF flour. You get a 40 oz +/- bag for $10 on sale or $12 regular price. At this point anyway, I'm sure the price will go up. I've told them both to go buy a bag now. That is what I've done. I may go get a another bag too.

My kids are gluten free and can't eat wheat. My oldest is concerned that those who can't find wheat flour, will then buy the bean based flours that are gluten free. We can't use nut based flours either due to food allergies. So we're forced to use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 flour or King Arthur GF flour. You get a 40 oz +/- bag for $10 on sale or $12 regular price. At this point anyway, I'm sure the price will go up. I've told them both to go buy a bag now. That is what I've done. I may go get a another bag too.
I’m gluten free and I’m experimenting with some masa harina (corn flour) that’s gluten free. Tonight I made arepas. Corn flour, almond flour and my gluten free flour, a bit of baking powder, salt and some water. I made some black bean filling to keep it cheap.

I went to Publix this morning and my dozen eggs were $2.99. I didn’t buy a fancy brand either. Generic large eggs.

I think the outbreaks of Avian flu have greatly affected the price of eggs and poultry products.

It has been seen in Canada and across numerous US states.

When they cull the birds, the eggs go too.

Yet another reason for high food prices.

I spent $110 at Publix this morning. I can't believe I spent that much. Maybe $20 of it was paper products. Toilet paper $11.49. BOGO paper towels $6.29 for 4 rolls of Brawny. Parchment paper $2.89. A gallon of milk $4.59. Bread $3.63 a loaf. The Publix brand spaghetti sauce was cheaper than what was on BOGO. I got a small 9 oz package of turkey lunch meat for $5.59. The 48 oz bag of King Arthur Gluten Free flour was $9.79. I got shredded cheese that was BOGO. I decided to get regular lasagna noodles $2.59. I'll make small pans and freeze them for me. A pricey splurge these days but it will make a number of meals for me.

After I got all that back home and put away, I went to the church for their USDA Grocery pick up. They weren't too busy and they asked if I had kids. I said I have 2 so they gave me extra food. After I left I realized they must have meant school kids. I'm not sure tho. They didn't have that many more people in line.

Anyway, they gave me bags and bags of produce. Some of it was spoiled and I had to toss it. But a lot of it is usable and will be very helpful. I can't eat the hot Italian sausage but I may find someone who can. It went right in the freezer. Kudos to Trader Joes for the donations this time.

I'm not sure why they gave me so much bread. Most of it I can't eat but I did put the loaf I can eat in the freezer. I'll share it with friends. I now have enough pretzels for an army but they're a great dry salty snack when you're on chemo.

Attachments

• D35FFA19-DE31-461E-B3C0-10C7E75F0408.jpeg
    D35FFA19-DE31-461E-B3C0-10C7E75F0408.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 34
  • F1429674-6626-4C8C-A476-FE72865D265E.jpeg
    F1429674-6626-4C8C-A476-FE72865D265E.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 34
  • F8441CD7-CD48-4E7D-9EDB-9651E894AC1E.jpeg
    F8441CD7-CD48-4E7D-9EDB-9651E894AC1E.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 6647ADBC-1D86-4552-B5D1-A6FC33DB5F01.jpeg
    6647ADBC-1D86-4552-B5D1-A6FC33DB5F01.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 37D03041-0C06-415A-A761-97B86B25090E.jpeg
    37D03041-0C06-415A-A761-97B86B25090E.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 96679ED2-ED62-4452-8043-5EE8C77F15C5.jpeg
    96679ED2-ED62-4452-8043-5EE8C77F15C5.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 29
In a "normal" year, I'm sure that Nino's sells out its St. Patrick's Day corned beef briskets. They still have some in a tank, so we are having a second corned beef and cabbage meal in two weeks. At 14.99#, it seems that some folks passed on the corned beef this year. I'll make soup with the leftovers again. It will be interesting to see what kind of prices there will be on hams and lamb for Easter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe