Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last holiday season when whole nuts were no longer available at Nino's or Meijer, DH ordered 10# of whole walnuts for our squirrely buddies. We were buying about 2# every week @$4.99 per pound at Nino's. Whole nuts never go on sale because they sell well throughout the holidays. When they're gone, they're gone. Meijer sometimes had 1# bags of whole walnuts. The price of whole nuts has slowly crept up, and we figure it will be up to 5.99# this year. It makes more sense to order a bulk supply because we enjoy feeding the little critters. The cost of the whole walnuts is the same as last year, but a discount is offered when you buy more. Last year, DH ordered 10# but increased it to 20# this time. Shipping cost decreases on larger order, as well. We won't have to buy the nuts on a weekly basis and will have enough to feed our little buddies during the winter.

Last holiday season when whole nuts were no longer available at Nino's or Meijer, DH ordered 10# of whole walnuts for our squirrely buddies. We were buying about 2# every week @$4.99 per pound at Nino's. Whole nuts never go on sale because they sell well throughout the holidays. When they're gone, they're gone. Meijer sometimes had 1# bags of whole walnuts. The price of whole nuts has slowly crept up, and we figure it will be up to 5.99# this year. It makes more sense to order a bulk supply because we enjoy feeding the little critters. The cost of the whole walnuts is the same as last year, but a discount is offered when you buy more. Last year, DH ordered 10# but increased it to 20# this time. Shipping cost decreases on larger order, as well. We won't have to buy the nuts on a weekly basis and will have enough to feed our little buddies during the winter.

You are very good to your squirrels! Have you noticed an increase in the local squirrel population? :D We had more squirrels than usual this year. DH used to feed squirrels cob corn that he skewered on a nail on his homemade wooden squirrel feeder (attached to tree), but he kept having to replace the feeders because they got chewed up. They go after the seed and suet we put our for the birds, of course.

You are very good to your squirrels! Have you noticed an increase in the local squirrel population? :D We had more squirrels than usual this year. DH used to feed squirrels cob corn that he skewered on a nail on his homemade wooden squirrel feeder (attached to tree), but he kept having to replace the feeders because they got chewed up. They go after the seed and suet we put our for the birds, of course.

Since we no longer have a dog, we tend to think of the squirrels as our pets. They are so cute and fun to watch as they scurry around the backyard seeking hiding spots for the whole walnuts or eating them while sitting on the deck railing. They seem to sense when we've tossed whole walnuts out on the deck/patio and will sometimes actually come to the back door to remind us that they are there and want some nuts :D

I had labs this morning in preparation for my annual exam next Tuesday. DH went to the Post Office while I was there. Afterwards, we made a trip to Nino's. Swordfish with acorn squash tonight, and tomorrow we'll have pot roast with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, beef stock, red wine, fresh herbs. I will attempt the dish in my new slow cooker.

Last fall, my sister's slow cooker shorted out, so I gave her mine when we visited during the holidays. She uses a slow cooker several times a week, and I rarely used mine. Now that cooler months are here, I find that I missed having the slow cooker and found a really nice one online at Macy's. It is red and looks nice with red accents that I have in my black/white kitchen. I used the special FRIENDS savings offer, and some "Macy's Money", so the slow cooker was practically FREE! I'll let you know how the pot roast turns out.

MCY

Last edited:
I forgot that figure skating (Cup of Italy) started this morning and wanted to watch, so I didn't have enough time to prep all the veggies, sear the roast, and get it into the slow cooker to cook for 7-8 hours. The seared meat and aromatics with beef stock and red wine are now simmering gently on the stove, and I will eventually add potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. I will do my best to refrain from checking the pot roast frequently as that's a problem that I have with a slow cooker. Ideally, you're supposed to "Fix It, and Forget It" (nice cookbook), but I struggle to leave well enough alone :oops:

I had labs this morning in preparation for my annual exam next Tuesday. DH went to the Post Office while I was there. Afterwards, we made a trip to Nino's. Swordfish with acorn squash tonight, and tomorrow we'll have pot roast with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots, beef stock, red wine, fresh herbs. I will attempt the dish in my new slow cooker.

Last fall, my sister's slow cooker shorted out, so I gave her mine when we visited during the holidays. She uses a slow cooker several times a week, and I rarely used mine. Now that cooler months are here, I find that I missed having the slow cooker and found a really nice one online at Macy's. It is red and looks nice with red accents that I have in my black/white kitchen. I used the special FRIENDS savings offer, and some "Macy's Money", so the slow cooker was practically FREE! I'll let you know how the pot roast turns out.

MCY
Love that red color!

Love that red color!

It is a stunning appliance :) It's also larger and heavier than I thought it would be. My previous slow cooker (stainless with black trim) was tall and deep, but I don't think the capacity was 8 quarts like the new one. I hope I can put it to good use. Will have to study slow cooker recipes that I haven't made in years. I've been inspired by all the fine cooks here to branch out and try something new. I really want to master "Fix It and Forget It"!

The shelves at Publix had more stock today.

I found this pumpernickel mini bread loaf! I hadn’t seen one in years. A month or so ago I found this Lebanon Bologna roll. It was pricey but I just couldn’t pass it up. Now I can make an appetizer type snack for myself.

Lebanon Bologna is similar to a salami without the greasiness. I get it at the deli sometimes. I love it with mustard & Natures Own Butterbread.

Years ago we used to go to Ruby Tuesday's restaurant for their salad bar. They always had fresh made pumpernickel croutons that weren’t dry and hard. They were the only croutons I’d ever eat. I’m tempted to use a little of this bread for croutons. I went to make myself a salad last night and my romaine was bad. Today Publix had 3 bags of the salad mixes for $10.

Attachments

• E0277C64-7076-4BBA-9A35-5AF92D769480.jpeg
    E0277C64-7076-4BBA-9A35-5AF92D769480.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 14
Producer prices rise 8.6%, matching September record high (clickondetroit.com)

WASHINGTON – Inflation at the wholesale level rose 8.6% last month from a year earlier, matching September's record annual gain and offering more evidence that inflationary pressures are not yet easing.

The Labor Department reported Tuesday that its producer price index — which measures inflation before it hits consumers — rose 0.6% last month from September, pushed higher by surging gasoline prices. Excluding volatile food and energy prices, wholesale inflation was up 0.4% in October from September and 6.8% from a year ago...

The 20# bag of whole walnuts that DH ordered online arrived last week. There are still plenty of acorns and dogwood berries for the little critters, so we decided that we would start putting out walnuts whenever we have the first measurable snowfall. We've had some lovely fall days - 65* yesterday - but that is going to change this week. Wintry mix predicted for this weekend. Last warm days of fall in Michigan? Big change is coming (detroitnews.com)

Since we no longer have a dog, we tend to think of the squirrels as our pets. They are so cute and fun to watch as they scurry around the backyard seeking hiding spots for the whole walnuts or eating them while sitting on the deck railing. They seem to sense when we've tossed whole walnuts out on the deck/patio and will sometimes actually come to the back door to remind us that they are there and want some nuts :D
I like the squirrels too. We don’t feed them, but they have a lot of acorns to eat from our oak trees. My neighbor doesn’t like them for some reason. He said they’re just rodents, and sometimes shoots at them with a pellet gun! :mad:
After I mentioned that we like squirrels he seems to have stopped.
Seriously, I do realize they are rodents, but different than rats, which I detest. For one, squirrels have a bushy tail, rats don’t. And squirrels don’t live in nasty sewers, etc. like rats. Idk, to me they’re way different.

Latest inflation reading hits highest level in three decades (nbcnews.com)

Consumers are starting to notice the increasing bite that rising food prices are starting to take out of their monthly budgets.

Inflation isn’t going anywhere fast — but prices certainly are. The latest Consumer Price Index for October recorded a 6.2 percent increase, year over year, according to data released Wednesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

It's the largest increase in over 30 years and far outpaced economists’ expectations of a 5.9 percent spike. October's data represents a continuation of months of markedly faster rising prices, compared to levels the U.S. economy has seen in recent years.

The greatest month-to-month increases were seen in food, up 0.9 percent; energy, up 4.8 percent; and shelter rising 0.5 percent. Used cars and trucks reversed a late summer decline and rose 2.5 percent, and new vehicles notched up a 1.4 percent increase...

I don’t typically even stroll thru the meat Dept at Publix. I just happened to pass the seafood counter and was shocked at the prices. Then I strolled over to the prepared but uncooked meals display. Shocking how they were $16 on average when you can go to a restaurant and pay the same for a cooked takeout meal.
Yes. I buy meat at Costco and put in food saver bags because of the prices.
The packaged meals are pricey but there are no restaurants close by that have those type of meals. I don’t buy it but some of my elderly relatives do. Within a radius here it’s fast food and burger/wings/bar food. By time you get it home you have to nuke it which takes away the appeal.

I had to have a second blood draw this morning because my renal function numbers were skewed last week. Hopefully, they will improve without a 12-hour fast and minor dehydration. Looking at the graph of previous lab results, renal function seems to be impacted with fasting. I made sure I drank plenty of water yesterday and had toast with jam this morning prior to the blood draw.

DH and I stopped at Nino's afterwards and took advantage of this week's rewards and specials. We haven't had tuna steaks for a while and got two since they are featured this week - usually 13.99# for 7.99. Bell & Evans whole chickens on special - I will try to make it in the slow cooker. Rewards customers were "thanked" with $10 off coupon for use with a $50 purchase this week. Shelves are beginning to show signs of holiday necessities and goodies, and Nino's already has their live Christmas greens that we will likely get next weekend.

I spent 30-40 minutes in Whole Foods at 9:00am today trying to find the gluten free items we need for Tday. I left empty handed. I really don’t like WF anyway but I expected, since it was a specialty store, I’d have a higher chance of finding things.

I went to Publix and couldn’t find the items there either. They aren’t something I can order online either. I have one more store to try, maybe tomorrow. I was too tired and frustrated after getting gas, getting rotary blades at JoAnn Fabrics (snotty sales clerk didn’t help) and 2 grocery stores. When I got home I had 3 Twizzlers as my reward for not committing homicide. I hate shopping. Now, I shall nap….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach