UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 Jul 1986 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My impression is that DL wanted SJL remembered as virginal, saintly, beautiful and innocent. She wanted this thought of SJL more than she wanted her presumed killer* brought to justice. If a trial and conviction had entailed the disclosure of what DL would have considered a shameful private life, DL would rather no such trial happened.

Her actions and words then and since make more sense if this was what was animating her. The inaccurate recollections, the management of witnesses, the editing of information given to the police, the successful attempts to censor AS' book and even the publication of photographs which SJL no longer resembled but in which she was better looking than was really the case, all point to this.

SJL's actual private life is possibly an early example if the Streisand Effect. Probably there was nothing very remarkable to see or know but if you try to shut it down you're just going to provoke interest in it.

* if someone disappears without trace it's pretty likely she's been killed
Definitely agree with the Streisand effect ,don't see anything remarkable suzys love life . I suppose if you want to nitpick prehaps the only judgement I would pass is sleeping with married men .While we don't know if this is gospel or what stories of woe were being spun by these men to suzy . This would portray more of a negative image of suzy at the time and I can understand any mother not wanting that revealed but a young woman keeping her options open in the dating world was normalish for the time .women for most parts were moving away from the expected housewife role and becoming career focused .

I also can imagine if a conviction and trail had happened DL would have seen to it that it was private behind close doors and tried to sue any newspaper that tried to publish the finer details. Seems DLs image was much more important and as Cherwell states typical behaviour of the narcissist. Its all about them and no one else matters even a missing daughter

Did any one see the Mystery of suzy lamplugh on sky crime I haven't seen it and was wondering if its any good I think it aired in 2021

Did any one see the Mystery of suzy lamplugh on sky crime I haven't seen it and was wondering if its any good I think it aired in 2021
I don't think so, but all these documentaries are without exception retreads of the "Cannan dunnit" line. I suspect that anyone who tried to make a programme suggesting anything different would find they got zero cooperation from the police.

I suppose if you want to nitpick prehaps the only judgement I would pass is sleeping with married men
Was SJL doing that? I'm probably demonstrating my moral incompetence here, but I've long thought that if a man can't hold onto his wife, it's not a job for other men to keep her faithful to him. It's a mug's game to get involved in someone else's marriage of course - if they'll cheat on their current spouse, they'll presumably cheat on their bit on the side too. But maybe that's the perceived advantage. Commitment and fidelity are neither required nor expected.

Someone once wrote that married people should be unfaithful with other married people because nobody expects exclusivity and both will connive at keeping it secret.

If she was doing that I'd question her judgment because where would it ever lead, but I don't think I'd want to scold her for the morality of it...

Was SJL doing that? I'm probably demonstrating my moral incompetence here, but I've long thought that if a man can't hold onto his wife, it's not a job for other men to keep her faithful to him. It's a mug's game to get involved in someone else's marriage of course - if they'll cheat on their current spouse, they'll presumably cheat on their bit on the side too. But maybe that's the perceived advantage. Commitment and fidelity are neither required nor expected.

Someone once wrote that married people should be unfaithful with other married people because nobody expects exclusivity and both will connive at keeping it secret.

If she was doing that I'd question her judgment because where would it ever lead, but I don't think I'd want to scold her for the morality of it...
It is alluded to in AS book .as I had posted allegedly she was involved with married men I was merely nitpicking at why a mother may want certain aspects of suzys love life hidden. My philosophy is each to their own .whatever floats the boat as they say .

I don't believe suzy was abducted because of her love life more so because of whomever she allowed into it . As for judgement of suzy's love life it serves no purpose other than trying to find blame within the victims life so i tend not to judge

. Although I do think the killer is someone suzy had a relationship with .whether that was platonic or romantic is anyone's guess .
She was talking about seeing someone new in the weeks before her disappearance, she confided in tasmin told her not to breathe a word and in her situationship beau Hall he told her to be careful she also confided in her dad who told her to be careful on the sunday re the new property deal and business plan and confided in her family of not liking the intensity of the new relationship and was planning a lunch with this person to break it off .
I think this is the person sending flowers and the person she met that lunchtime .

The reason I don't think this person is Cannan is suzys flat was up for sale before cannans release to the halfway house . So the plans for moving to this new property which the funds were being put forward by someone else was already in motion as far as I can see this person has never been said to have come forward. They may have and its not publicly shared but if they haven't. This is a red flag for me as nobody buys a house for someone else just for recieving post and no strings attached. It may well have been a wealthy married man wanting to put his mistress up in a more upmarket property and didn't come forward for obvious reasons but if I could go back in time this is the angle I would look at imo

Last edited:
I don't think so, but all these documentaries are without exception retreads of the "Cannan dunnit" line. I suspect that anyone who tried to make a programme suggesting anything different would find they got zero cooperation from the police.
Surely. It’s disgraceful but it is what it is. Whatever its flaws, DV’s book was a good indicator as to how entrenched that attitude is.

@su5ie thank you very much indeed for posting the archive library link to AS’s book recently! I assumed I’d have to wait until I chanced on a cheap copy somehow.

Surely. It’s disgraceful but it is what it is. Whatever its flaws, DV’s book was a good indicator as to how entrenched that attitude is.

@su5ie thank you very much indeed for posting the archive library link to AS’s book recently! I assumed I’d have to wait until I chanced on a cheap copy somehow.
I actually could not believe the lucky find NorthParade it was definitely a link worth sharing.

Has DV said much recently on any updates from his book?

It’s so frustrating the book didn’t shed more light onto the case and got more people wanting answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974
Back