UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 Jul 1986 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression is that DL wanted SJL remembered as virginal, saintly, beautiful and innocent. She wanted this thought of SJL more than she wanted her presumed killer* brought to justice. If a trial and conviction had entailed the disclosure of what DL would have considered a shameful private life, DL would rather no such trial happened.

Her actions and words then and since make more sense if this was what was animating her. The inaccurate recollections, the management of witnesses, the editing of information given to the police, the successful attempts to censor AS' book and even the publication of photographs which SJL no longer resembled but in which she was better looking than was really the case, all point to this.

SJL's actual private life is possibly an early example if the Streisand Effect. Probably there was nothing very remarkable to see or know but if you try to shut it down you're just going to provoke interest in it.

* if someone disappears without trace it's pretty likely she's been killed
Definitely agree with the Streisand effect ,don't see anything remarkable suzys love life . I suppose if you want to nitpick prehaps the only judgement I would pass is sleeping with married men .While we don't know if this is gospel or what stories of woe were being spun by these men to suzy . This would portray more of a negative image of suzy at the time and I can understand any mother not wanting that revealed but a young woman keeping her options open in the dating world was normalish for the time .women for most parts were moving away from the expected housewife role and becoming career focused .

I also can imagine if a conviction and trail had happened DL would have seen to it that it was private behind close doors and tried to sue any newspaper that tried to publish the finer details. Seems DLs image was much more important and as Cherwell states typical behaviour of the narcissist. Its all about them and no one else matters even a missing daughter

Did any one see the Mystery of suzy lamplugh on sky crime I haven't seen it and was wondering if its any good I think it aired in 2021

Did any one see the Mystery of suzy lamplugh on sky crime I haven't seen it and was wondering if its any good I think it aired in 2021
I don't think so, but all these documentaries are without exception retreads of the "Cannan dunnit" line. I suspect that anyone who tried to make a programme suggesting anything different would find they got zero cooperation from the police.

I suppose if you want to nitpick prehaps the only judgement I would pass is sleeping with married men
Was SJL doing that? I'm probably demonstrating my moral incompetence here, but I've long thought that if a man can't hold onto his wife, it's not a job for other men to keep her faithful to him. It's a mug's game to get involved in someone else's marriage of course - if they'll cheat on their current spouse, they'll presumably cheat on their bit on the side too. But maybe that's the perceived advantage. Commitment and fidelity are neither required nor expected.

Someone once wrote that married people should be unfaithful with other married people because nobody expects exclusivity and both will connive at keeping it secret.

If she was doing that I'd question her judgment because where would it ever lead, but I don't think I'd want to scold her for the morality of it...

Was SJL doing that? I'm probably demonstrating my moral incompetence here, but I've long thought that if a man can't hold onto his wife, it's not a job for other men to keep her faithful to him. It's a mug's game to get involved in someone else's marriage of course - if they'll cheat on their current spouse, they'll presumably cheat on their bit on the side too. But maybe that's the perceived advantage. Commitment and fidelity are neither required nor expected.

Someone once wrote that married people should be unfaithful with other married people because nobody expects exclusivity and both will connive at keeping it secret.

If she was doing that I'd question her judgment because where would it ever lead, but I don't think I'd want to scold her for the morality of it...
It is alluded to in AS book .as I had posted allegedly she was involved with married men I was merely nitpicking at why a mother may want certain aspects of suzys love life hidden. My philosophy is each to their own .whatever floats the boat as they say .

I don't believe suzy was abducted because of her love life more so because of whomever she allowed into it . As for judgement of suzy's love life it serves no purpose other than trying to find blame within the victims life so i tend not to judge

. Although I do think the killer is someone suzy had a relationship with .whether that was platonic or romantic is anyone's guess .
She was talking about seeing someone new in the weeks before her disappearance, she confided in tasmin told her not to breathe a word and in her situationship beau Hall he told her to be careful she also confided in her dad who told her to be careful on the sunday re the new property deal and business plan and confided in her family of not liking the intensity of the new relationship and was planning a lunch with this person to break it off .
I think this is the person sending flowers and the person she met that lunchtime .

The reason I don't think this person is Cannan is suzys flat was up for sale before cannans release to the halfway house . So the plans for moving to this new property which the funds were being put forward by someone else was already in motion as far as I can see this person has never been said to have come forward. They may have and its not publicly shared but if they haven't. This is a red flag for me as nobody buys a house for someone else just for recieving post and no strings attached. It may well have been a wealthy married man wanting to put his mistress up in a more upmarket property and didn't come forward for obvious reasons but if I could go back in time this is the angle I would look at imo

Last edited:
I don't think so, but all these documentaries are without exception retreads of the "Cannan dunnit" line. I suspect that anyone who tried to make a programme suggesting anything different would find they got zero cooperation from the police.
Surely. It’s disgraceful but it is what it is. Whatever its flaws, DV’s book was a good indicator as to how entrenched that attitude is.

@su5ie thank you very much indeed for posting the archive library link to AS’s book recently! I assumed I’d have to wait until I chanced on a cheap copy somehow.

Surely. It’s disgraceful but it is what it is. Whatever its flaws, DV’s book was a good indicator as to how entrenched that attitude is.

@su5ie thank you very much indeed for posting the archive library link to AS’s book recently! I assumed I’d have to wait until I chanced on a cheap copy somehow.
I actually could not believe the lucky find NorthParade it was definitely a link worth sharing.

Has DV said much recently on any updates from his book?

It’s so frustrating the book didn’t shed more light onto the case and got more people wanting answers.

DL certainly abused her new found power and basically tried to run the investigation or manipulate it anyway she could .

I suppose from a perspective of what the majority of people do in regards of the death or presumed death of someone close to us we put them on a pedestal. Most people would have heard families speak of the dead as if they walked the earth in perfection, not a fault about them even if that person had not got a great moral compass .I cannot blame DL wanting to protect her daughter from the judgment of family , neighbours and the general public but if allegedly it was to the detriment of the investigation . She made sure they weren't going to find her daughter
i was surprised at how much say DL had during the original investigation. i dont think that would happen today. i believe she loved suzy and probably worshipped the ground she walked on, but making up stories and telling lies during the investigation is not good. i believe SL only told her parents what they wanted to hear.

All I will say is suzy was selling her flat ,the money that could have been gotten for that only covered repayment to the bank .. She was talking to her dad about a business man whom was putting up the money for another flat for her That the business man intended to use for post . She was was also involved in another business plan for the beauty salon which she did or was planning to back out of , This person went bankrupt within a few days or weeks after suzys disappearance , Imho suzy was getting into things over her head . This may have contributed to her disappearance MOO . With the diary entry seemingly a cover story I feel she was meeting this person or lured into meeting them .maybe she knew too much at that stage and the alleged pressure she felt was from this individual

Although JC is a sick individual and capable of the crime . I feel from what's known in the public domain he is sloppy and I think if he had any involvement it had to have been with another sex offender prehaps more capable in ways of concealment I also think JC would have left forensic evidence behind
yes, i think you could be correct regarding the sale of her flat and the mystery business deal. it all seems to be a bit shady, and SL was not letting everyone know what was going on. it does not help the fact that suzy was so secretive herself.

All I will say is suzy was selling her flat ,the money that could have been gotten for that only covered repayment to the bank .. She was talking to her dad about a business man whom was putting up the money for another flat for her That the business man intended to use for post . She was was also involved in another business plan for the beauty salon which she did or was planning to back out of , This person went bankrupt within a few days or weeks after suzys disappearance , Imho suzy was getting into things over her head . This may have contributed to her disappearance MOO . With the diary entry seemingly a cover story I feel she was meeting this person or lured into meeting them .maybe she knew too much at that stage and the alleged pressure she felt was from this individual

Although JC is a sick individual and capable of the crime . I feel from what's known in the public domain he is sloppy and I think if he had any involvement it had to have been with another sex offender prehaps more capable in ways of concealment I also think JC would have left forensic evidence behind
she was selling her flat for 74 grand. how much of that money was she to keep.

she was selling her flat for 74 grand. how much of that money was she to keep.
Good question.

She bought it using a small inheritance as the deposit. Presumably she borrowed the rest. She can only have bought it after starting work as an EA 18 months or so earlier, and could probably have borrowed 3.5 times earnings. At the rate London property was then appreciating, I'd guess she paid 60k and put down about 5 leaving 55 to find (no stamp duty then). If she could show earnings of 15 to 16k that would have been doable.

In which case she'd have had about £20k left over from selling her flat at 74k. A decent chunk of change for 1986 - I remember feeling rich after I sold one place, bought another and had £6k left over just 2 years after this.

Doesn't go very far when you're launching a business though. She would have known this and was maybe in the habit of oiling up to people with lots of money who could back her?

Good question.

She bought it using a small inheritance as the deposit. Presumably she borrowed the rest. She can only have bought it after starting work as an EA 18 months or so earlier, and could probably have borrowed 3.5 times earnings. At the rate London property was then appreciating, I'd guess she paid 60k and put down about 5 leaving 55 to find (no stamp duty then). If she could show earnings of 15 to 16k that would have been doable.

In which case she'd have had about £20k left over from selling her flat at 74k. A decent chunk of change for 1986 - I remember feeling rich after I sold one place, bought another and had £6k left over just 2 years after this.

Doesn't go very far when you're launching a business though. She would have known this and was maybe in the habit of oiling up to people with lots of money who could back her?
i wonder what was her plans regarding living arrangements. in AS book it does not say where SL was going to live. was she going to move back in with her parents, or was she going to buy another flat, but downsize to a 1 bedroom flat in putney or fulham to remain close to work. she must have discussed this with certain people like her parents, or NB, her flatmate. if she was left with about 20 grand, would that even be enough to buy a 1 bedrrom flat in putney or fulham. just curious.

yes, i watched it and thought it was a good doc. i have seen it about 5 times since. i need to get a life, ha, ha.

i wonder what was her plans regarding living arrangements. in AS book it does not say where SL was going to live. was she going to move back in with her parents, or was she going to buy another flat, but downsize to a 1 bedroom flat in putney or fulham to remain close to work. she must have discussed this with certain people like her parents, or NB, her flatmate. if she was left with about 20 grand, would that even be enough to buy a 1 bedrrom flat in putney or fulham. just curious.
FIO I bought a one bedroom flat in 1984 for 24k (new build so premium) and sold in 1986 for 35k. This was in Sussex so not even London prices.

In the AS book .it talks about her parents wondering what to do with her flat it was not selling previous to her disappearance. And after a couple of months the parents cleared the flat of suzy's belongings it mentions the sale of the flat was to be 74000 and this only covered the banks .
AFAIK it does not state if this was including interest gathered over the months suzy was missing or if her parents had paid the mortgage in the intervening months I would have to go back and check .
I read an article or watched an interview I think I linked it before Her dad was speaking about why suzy was selling up and hoping to move into a new property . Apparently she had spoke to him about this business deal on the Sunday [AS book] A business man was putting forward the money for the new property and the man allegedly only wanted to use it for post

. Suzy was disheartened by her flat not selling and was anxious enough to confide in her dad about the deal and was thinking of taking her own flat off the market . She was also supposed to set up a beauty parlour business with PSS with TS the husband (NOT POI) putting up the money for this business venture. He went bankrupt shortly after suzy went missing and it was listed in the courts August 1986
suzy was only to get 10% of the profits of the business venture very little imo if she was supposedly to do all the work I wonder if there was a flat above the proposed business property if this is where suzy was supposed to move and part of the business deal . AS doesn't specify and although it seems like two separate things I wonder was it part of the same deal .Suzy realised she didn't want to go back into the beauty business and was allegedly backing out .

With TS going bankrupt shortly after suzy went missing one would have to wonder if someone else was putting the money up for him to buy the business so money laundering so to speak . TS was in the building industry too ( access to concrete graves moo) . This is why in MOO I feel suzys disappearance is connected to this deal and prehaps was why she was never found prehaps if whoever was backing this deal was a shady character and suzy knew to much .The business deal is imo shady and suzy did feel pressured and was planning on backing out maybe suzy's part of the deal was depended on and if she didn't go ahead with it too many pieces fell apart .This is all my opinion and speculation on my part .I feel suzy knew who she was meeting that Monday I feel it was urgent enough to do something allegedly out of character create a false appointment although we don't know if she done it before and this time unfortunately it was the last time .I think the Sturgis sign was a rendezvous point and a car phone could have been used to say the person had arrived if she was lying about the appointment she could easily pretend she was speaking to someone else on the phone .I can't understand in one breath saying suzy was such a good reliable,kind ,open person to she was allegedly secretive and snuck around with married men. It's like a duality like so much else in this case confusing.

She was also depending on the alleged 3000 commission and maybe the anxiety was not for the diary but the cheque book as a means to pay a compensation as such smooth over the person for letting them down MOO

Last edited:
This is like an episode of Waking the Dead! Rabbit holes and red herrings all over.I'm about to start from the beginning for the 4th time! For many years I believed JC responsible but am now thinking he could be a handy bogeyman to hang this unsolved case on and call it done.
I thonk you’re n the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member