Gun Control Debate #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her mutilation (as well as the mutilation of many others) are a big reason I'm all for self defense personally. We see it all the time right here on WS.

It may shock some people to know that females know how to shoot and defend themselves. I am my own first line of defense.

I don't know about the Ledford case. However, I am a CCP holder, I do own firearms, and I do carry, when I travel. No, I don't carry at the local Walmart, nor when I go out to eat, or to the movies. I live in fairly rural location and we just don't have much crime, tbh (thieving is on the rise though...drugs). However, I do carry, when I travel. Especially if I'm travelling alone, or with my daughter/granddaughter(s). I'm friendly to folks, and believe that most folks are good, but it only takes one.

We were traveling one night when I was a child (decades ago, now). We'd stopped off at a motel. Later that night a couple people tried to get in. My Dad yelled through the door that the room was occupied, thinking the had the wrong room. They just kept trying to get in, and didn't answer. He went to his suitcase, and got out his pistol. When he cocked that pistol, up next to that door, they heard that. Total silence, then the sound of retreating feet (and no, LE wouldn't have gotten there fast enough that night.)

I don't make fun of folks for the choice not to carry, but I'm comfortable in my choice to carry.

Totally agree with you. Call me pessimistic, but I don't feel all the protests will change a thing unfortunately.

I’m more hopeful. ❤️ I sense a sea change, and some red herrings seem to be getting beached in the process.

I feel that the biggest change may just happen when these kids start voting. I think what causes discussions like these, in the general public, to erode, is continued misinformation thrown around, and, not wanting to listen to one another. Yes, I own firearms, yes, I've owned a semi automatic pistol. My spouse owns a semi automatic rifle. We enjoy target shooting. We have plenty of space to do so. It's folks who are obeying the law, have taken the CCP, keep their firearms away from children, don't sell/buy firearms on FB or Craigslist, etc... who might be useful to the discussion, rather than calling us names and assuming we want no change. We are out here.

I feel that the biggest change may just happen when these kids start voting. I think what causes discussions like these, in the general public, to erode, is continued misinformation thrown around, and, not wanting to listen to one another. Yes, I own firearms, yes, I've owned a semi automatic pistol. My spouse owns a semi automatic rifle. We enjoy target shooting. We have plenty of space to do so. It's folks who are obeying the law, have taken the CCP, keep their firearms away from children, don't sell/buy firearms on FB or Craigslist, etc... who might be useful to the discussion, rather than calling us names and assuming we want no change. We are out here.

Nobody buys or sells firearms on Craigslist or Facebook, as neither one allows firearm sales.

Nobody buys or sells firearms on Craigslist or Facebook, as neither one allows firearm sales.

I'll give you Craigslist, but, unless it's been recently implemented, you obviously don't live where I do, b/c I see them on FB Yardsale, and, missed the whole gist of my post, as well.

Person-to-person sales aren’t regulated in many states. So who knows where all those weapons are going.

Sigh

It used to be classified ads in the newspaper, now it’s more online advertising. I don’t see what difference it makes where exactly people advertise their used guns for sale. Here in Washington State it’s now required that private party gun sales go through a gun dealer so that a background check is done on the buyer. However there really is no way to force people to do this, so only the honest people are actually going to follow the law and pay the extra fees required.

And again, Craigslist and Facebook do not allow firearm sales, at least where I live. I assume their policies would be the same no matter where you are. But yes, there are many other places to sell guns online. One of my favorites is Gun Broker. And what some may not realize is that when you buy a gun online from a site such as Gun Broker, the seller has to ship it to a person or business that has an FFL (Federal Firearms License) and then a background check must be done on the buyer before he can take possession of the gun. I’ve sold and purchased many guns online so I’m pretty familiar with how it works.

Yeah she bought another one on her lunch break before Christmas. From a legit store. Taco Bell takes more time.

I've only purchased from legit stores, and have always had to have a background check run, with each firearm purchase, and live in a very loose state. With today's technology what used to take three days, now takes more like 3-5 minutes. I have purchased one firearm from a legit internet store, and had to submit my info for a background check, then, had to provide a legit "store" to have the gun shipped to, and then had to have a second background check run, when I picked the firearm up.

In my state, we can sell to each other on the street. Facebook may not allow a lot of things, and maybe they weed them out, but, yes, I've seen firearms for sale on the FB YardSale sites.

I think that the gun show loophole should be closed, and if I'm going to sell to a private party, that the firearm should be registered and transferred, at a gun shop or courthouse, w/a background check run, much like a vehicle is licensed and it's ensured that you have insurance. Folks find the time to sell their vehicles and go to the courthouse, and yes, some skirt the law on that issue too, but, it usually comes back to bite them. I don't want my firearms ending up in the wrong hands. Some troubled, young, kid's hands. That's why I sell back, or trade, with the dealer. I shouldn't be able to dial up Joe Blow, and buy an AR with 10 magazines, from some guy advertising it, privately, displayed on his dryer, or bed. That's probably not the same kind of private dealer, that I had to pick mine up from, when I purchased from an internet company.

Good point. I'm not familiar with the case but there's a very good chance her gun would have been used against her if she was smaller than the attacker..

Shirley Ledford was an innocent 16 yr. old who just happened to trust two maniacs. Personally, I don't think it's fair to even bring her up in this conversation. She died an awful death that had nothing to do with guns.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-signorile-we-can-beat-nra_us_5a88d720e4b004fc3192f605

Interesting information about the NRA. Worth a read. IMO

The engine of conservative politics in America has still failed to adequately respond to last month’s explosive story from McClatchy quoting two sources that confirmed the FBI is investigating whether Russia funneled money to the NRA specifically to help Donald Trump win the 2016 election. NRA spokespeople refused to respond to various media outlets, only telling National Public Radio that the group has “not been contacted” by the FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan O' Cone