Gun Control Debate #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda want mine in the event of a govt. melt down. I'm rural, and can hunt if I have to, and raise my own food, and I play nice with my neighbors.

If there is a meltdown, people will be coming for your food with their weapons.

If there is a meltdown, people will be coming for your food with their weapons.

It's quite possible. I've never been through a govt. meltdown but I saw how they acted in public during 14 days w/o electricity... so, yeah, I'm a bit concerned. That's why I have my firearms, and I'm a good neighbor.

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-americ...rifles-hands-ordinary-citizens-171558054.html

YEONGCHANG, South Korea – Lowell Bailey is one of the best marksmen in America. The North Carolina native is so proficient with a gun that he has made a living off it. He is an Olympian biathlete. So his opinion on the roiling gun debate in his country is worth hearing.

On Tuesday night, after he had finished competing, he gave it.

“We’re a sport that uses a .22-caliber rifle,” Bailey said. “A .22-caliber rifle that shoots a single round is a much different thing than an AR-15. In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

Bailey said he does not own an AR-15 and has no desire to get one.

“I have no interest in owning a weapon that can kill another human being – that’s designed to kill another human being,” he said. “And to do it in an expeditious way. Why is that allowed? It’s maddening.”

Sadly it's not just the US that is traumatised by these shootings, it reverberates around the world, and we scratch our heads in wonder. I have no idea why anyone would need an assault rifle. I don't know what the answer is but the NRA are powerful lobbyists who should have less to say, For me, it comes down to what I value most children or guns. No contest really. I'm sure this will upset those who want both, but I believe there should be a referendum regarding the Constitutional right to bear arms. It seems such an old fashioned right, more suited to the wild west. Sorry gun lovers.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/5674...atric-hospitals-led-to-a-mental-health-crisis

A 2012 report by the Treatment Advocacy Center, a nonprofit organization that works to remove treatment barriers for people with mental illness, found the number of psychiatric beds decreased by 14 percent from 2005 to 2010. That year, there were 50,509 state psychiatric beds, meaning there were only 14 beds available per 100,000 people.

"Many times individuals who really do require intensive psychiatric care find themselves homeless or more and more in prison," Sisti says. "Much of our mental health care now for individuals with serious mental illness has been shifted to correctional facilities."

The percentage of people with serious mental illness in prisons rose from .7 percent in 1880 to 21 percent in 2005, according to the Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights.

Many of the private mental health hospitals still in operation do not accept insurance and can cost upwards of $30,000 per month, Sisti says. For many low-income patients, Medicaid is the only path to mental health care, but a provision in the law prevents the federal government from paying for long-term care in an institution.

As a result, many people who experience a serious mental health crisis end up in the emergency room. According to data from the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, between 2001 and 2011, 6 percent of all emergency department patients had a psychiatric condition. Nearly 11 percent of those patients require transfer to another facility, but there are often no beds available.

"We are the wrong site for these patients," Dr. Thomas Chun, an associate professor of emergency medicine and pediatrics at Brown University, told NPR last year. "Our crazy, chaotic environment is not a good place for them.

Oh Donald.....

President Donald Trump held a cue card between his hands that reminded him to offer sympathy as he met with victims and families of the Florida high school massacre on Wednesday. A photo from the event shows Trump holding what appears to be a piece of paper with the White House letterhead. Point number five is clearly visible - a reminder to himself to tell his guests: 'I hear you.' Other questions that were also visible on the card included: 'What would you most want me to know about your experience?' and 'What can we do to help you feel safe?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...E-CARD-remind-say-hear-you.html#ixzz57ps9J5bE

I feel for these children, all of them. All of thier voices should be hear and not just the ones that fit the narrative the media is pushing.
This is from a student that was invited to participate in the town hall, but declined when he was not allowed to speak about armed security on campuses. If he was given a scripted statement my guess is they were all given scripted topics. That is not a debate. It is a scripted program with an agenda.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...wn-hall-quashed-question-on-armed-guards.html
Here is another student stating that media is using thier tragedy to promote anti gun, and is not giving all a chance to speak.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...dia-is-using-tragedy-to-push-gun-control.html
There was a bus convoy of 100 students from the school that went to Tallahassee. 100 hundred students out of almost 4000. What is the true majority opinion of the students that go to the school?
I feel so much for all the students that have went through this tragedy. They will be going back to school soon and I believe there will be such a rift between sides on this issue.
In Florida we did have a few schools that did walk outs, but not many. I would like to know how a majority of the students feel, not just the ones that have been given a platform to speak.

Here we go.

These kids and parents weren’t scripted. IMO. They aren’t paid crisis actors, either.

Logically, I imagine the majority of students feel like the overwhelming majority of the rest of Americans. They want common-sense gun control measures. I say we listen to them, and act on it.

I really hope this thread stays on topic.

Oh Donald.....

President Donald Trump held a cue card between his hands that reminded him to offer sympathy as he met with victims and families of the Florida high school massacre on Wednesday. A photo from the event shows Trump holding what appears to be a piece of paper with the White House letterhead. Point number five is clearly visible - a reminder to himself to tell his guests: 'I hear you.' Other questions that were also visible on the card included: 'What would you most want me to know about your experience?' and 'What can we do to help you feel safe?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...E-CARD-remind-say-hear-you.html#ixzz57ps9J5bE

Oh for "goodness" sake. Substitute another word at your own discretion.

The infowars ct stuff is the most despicable, sleazy stuff I've seen in two lifetimes. Those people haven't a shred of human decency nor two brain cells to rub together.

Instead of having a national debate on important issues like gun control and restoring peace in schools and public places, they just spin insane yarns and insult victims.

Kids and teachers have a right to feel safe in schools. Their requests are very reasonable.

Growing up, I never had to worry about such things. There was the same level of mental illness and psychological problems back then, the big difference was that people weren't armed to the teeth with military grade assault weapons. Back then, I would have been terrified if I went to a friends house to play and saw military grade weapons in their home. Everyone would have. It just wasn't common.

Doing genealogical research, I frequently peruse old newspapers. One thing I noticed in the past week was that nowhere in the local paper (in an area where EVERYBODY hunted) there was never an ad for guns or ammo. People usually had one or two guns - shotgun and rifle. No pistols, that was for police. And once or twice a year, they went out and bought some shells or cartridges if they were going to hunt for rabbit, deer, coons. The only upgrade was for a scope. People didn't stockpile guns.

It reallly appears the tide has turned and we're on the cusp of bringing some sanity and safety back to public policy about weapons. Now if we can also get mental health services for the people who read CT sites and listen to their crazy radio shows. Sadly, it's the by product of a poorly educated society.

:rant:

Oh Donald.....

I find it sad that President Trump is criticized for this. He’s doing a great job, many of the people speaking there said just that, and that they very much appreciated being given the opportunity to speak. I don’t know how it’s helping anything to put down our President for such a silly thing as having a “cue card.” Big deal. I would probably have one too if I were in that situation.

I find it sad that President Trump is criticized for this. He’s doing a great job, many of the people speaking there said just that, and that they very much appreciated being given the opportunity to speak. I don’t know how it’s helping anything to put down our President for such a silly thing as having a “cue card.” Big deal. I would probably have one too if I were in that situation.

I agree with you on this. Trump came into this job with little experience in public speaking. It's not the same as reading a script or talking on a reality tv show. There have been past presidents who excelled at extemporaneous (off the cuff) public speaking, others not so much. It's a skill you have to practice frequently and enjoy doing. This event and the topic were not things that Trump knew or cared much about, hence the need for reminders. He was uncomfortable and didn't want to be there.

Probably the best I've ever seen in recent history is Bill Clinton. I recall him giving a SOTU speech once when the teleprompter broke. He just kept right on going, giving his speech for the next 20 minutes. You never realized anything had happened. He knew his topics well. Even Obama was a scripted speaker. He was just good at hiding it. You could tell when he was speaking off the cuff and he was only so-so when he did. But he was very good at talking, making people feel good while saying nothing. He had good speech writers, though the speeches were geared towards an 6th or 8th grade comprehension level. Ronald Reagan was excellent at reading speeches. Had lots of experience, but he was 100% scripted.

A person with any genuine empathy would not need to be reminded to ask these things. Sorry, but to the rest of the world the guy's a laughing stock. Factor in his NRA affiliation and wonder why nobody believes anything will change, because he (or rather the puppeteer pulling his strings) doesn't want it to.

A person with any genuine empathy would not need to be reminded to ask these things. Sorry, but to the rest of the world the guy's a laughing stock. Factor in his NRA affiliation and wonder why nobody believes anything will change, because he (or rather the puppeteer pulling his strings) doesn't want it to.

Agree. It's part of Trump's background. He was raised in an environment where empathy and showing concern for others was considered inappropriate, unprofessional. It's kind of common in wealthy kids who are educated at exclusive private schools, but it's also part of how their parents raised them. Same thing with GW Bush. Most of us don't interact with people of this ilk on a regular basis, but when you do, you know it. They just look at the world very differently, very cold.

100% disagree but I’ll say no more on this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/us/politics/marco-rubio-gun-control-nra.html

Did anyone watch this last night? I didn't. For those who did, any feedback?

I did, and thought it went very well. Some with questions did get upset and angry, but overall it was quite civil. I believe Rubio was the inly Republican who accepted the invitation to come, so I give him a lot of credit for that. He listened, he tried to explain his position simply, but when pressed he continued to kisten —- and eventually he agreed that he culd change his mind on some things (I believe he was not for raising the age to buy a gun, and later said he wohld support that).

as for Dana Loesch .... I was not impressed. She had to know she was going to be in a minority and feelings were in turmoil, but I thought she was just trying to stand by NRA in an overbearing way and not able to communicate well to garner support for her stance. Just my impression. At least she was honest with her points and how she sees it.

At the end, the drama group sang a song they wrote .... it is touching if anyone wants to hear it. “Shine” https://youtu.be/b1DXn7jHomo

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-americ...rifles-hands-ordinary-citizens-171558054.html

YEONGCHANG, South Korea – Lowell Bailey is one of the best marksmen in America. The North Carolina native is so proficient with a gun that he has made a living off it. He is an Olympian biathlete. So his opinion on the roiling gun debate in his country is worth hearing.

On Tuesday night, after he had finished competing, he gave it.

“We’re a sport that uses a .22-caliber rifle,” Bailey said. “A .22-caliber rifle that shoots a single round is a much different thing than an AR-15. In my opinion, there’s just no reason for assault rifles to be in the hands of ordinary citizens.”

Bailey said he does not own an AR-15 and has no desire to get one.

“I have no interest in owning a weapon that can kill another human being – that’s designed to kill another human being,” he said. “And to do it in an expeditious way. Why is that allowed? It’s maddening.”

He's entitled to his opinion but folks do hunt with the semis. As it's been said earlier, define semi. We have more than one. Both are very different rifles. One can't just say, ban the AR-15. That's not feasible. I do not even have an AR-15. I even mistakenly use the term AR sometimes, b/c the term has become so synonymous with semis.

I'm not his biggest fan, but, I'm not a person where public speaking comes easily. I'm also not good w/emotional situations. I would have had to have had notes as well. He at least met with the kids, and families, so I won't fault him for notes.

Texas school district plans to suspend any student protestors:

"Needville Independent School District (ISD) Superintendent Curtis Rhodes said in a letter that was sent to families and posted on social media that students would be suspended for three days if they took part in the protests happening following the deadly Florida high school shooting, The Houston Chronicle reported."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ict-threatens-to-suspend-students-who-protest

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member