Gun Control Debate #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Georgia Lawmakers Punish Delta Air Lines Over NRA Feud[/h]
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...awmakers-punish-delta-air-lines-over-nra-feud

Republican lawmakers in Georgia made good on a threat to eliminate a proposed tax break for Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, after the carrier declined to reverse a decision to cut ties with the National Rifle Association.
Earlier this week, Delta — the state's largest private employer, with 33,000 workers statewide — was among numerous companies to announce that it would end discounts for NRA members in the wake of the mass shooting that killed 17 people at a Parkland, Fla., high school.

Ignoring warnings that taking on Delta could harm the state's pro-business image, the GOP-controlled House, which had earlier approved a larger tax bill containing the exemption, voted 135-24 on Thursday for a new version stripped of the provision. Meanwhile, some experts have raised First Amendment concerns over the legislature's punitive move.
House Speaker David Ralston, a Republican, made it clear that there was a direct link between the vote and the NRA controversy: "I hope they are better at flying airplanes than timing PR announcements," he said.

Delta did not immediately comment on the votes, but the controversy has prompted several states in recent days to lobby the airline to relocate its headquarters.
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, tweeted Tuesday: "Hey [Delta] —Virginia is for lovers and airline hubs. You're welcome here any time."

The governors of Connecticut and New York, also Democrats, have also pitched their states to the airline, according to The Associated Press, which says the mayor of Birmingham, Ala., and a congressional representative from Ohio "also have reached out to Delta in recent days."

Most don't wait until they're 18 to hunt, but the opportunity to buy a gun should be there, when you become an adult. My daughter will be hunting deer for the first time this year and she's 12. We got her a new rifle for Christmas. And we're not sad, we're very happy and excited.

Just a question. If a person is given a gun by parents at 12 or younger, then changing the age of buying a gun to 21 isn't really a big deal, as it seems you can buy a gun legally and then gift it to a minor (which just circumvents age restrictions in buying guns). I have no issue with you buying a gun (well maybe I do, but I don't think that's important as it's just a difference in opinion and not important in this debate). Changing the age to 21 is actually a responsible change imo, because human brains aren't mature at 18.

You also mentioned using hollow point bullets in teachers' guns to avoid ricocheting. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't hollow points do much more damage to a person if they hit them, therefore if a teacher accidentally shot an innocent bystander the likelihood of death or serious injury would be increased, no?

You have answered a lot of my questions (as I'm not familiar with firearms) and I appreciate that.

Australia's murder rate falls to record low of one person per 100,000
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-falls-to-record-low-of-one-person-per-100000
(USA is 4.88 per 100k)

Gun violence by the numbers: How America, Canada and the world compare

The United States has the world’s highest rate of civilian gun ownership, by a significant margin,

And those high ownership rates translate into one of the highest rates of firearm homicides in the world. America is behind Brazil, El Salvador Colombia and Iraq but ahead of Somalia, Costa Rica, Argentina and India, among other countries, according to the Global Health Data Exchange’s 2013 statistics.

Overall, Americans are almost 70 per cent more likely to die at the end of a gun — shot by someone else, by themselves, by accident — than Canadians are to die in a car accident.

Firearms suicide per 100K:
firearm-suicides-per-100k.jpg

Wow. I can't see how a state can punish a company for disassociating itself with a lobby group. That can't be legal. Surely it's a breach of the first amendment? Hope Delta relocate. They provide 30,000 jobs, wonder how GA would feel if they moved those jobs because of it?

I was wondering the same thing, it just doesn't seem to make sense legally or economically for GA.

Easy. These cowardly people who like to kill innocent kids, will be much less likely to do so, knowing someone is there who will be shooting back.

They do not care if they die. What is the lesson learned?

We know words do not matter. Kids look at what adults do, not what they say. They learn the way to deal with issues is to use a gun.

We know words do not matter. Kids look at what adults do, not what they say. They learn the way to deal with issues is to use a gun.

We've seen how many of them kill themselves in the midst of a shooting. Many of them go in wanting to die so the threat of a gun on the site won't deter them. They still get what they're after even if their gym teacher shoots them at the end.

People talk about suicide by cop, why not suicide by teacher, with the added bonus of terrifying and murdering some of your classmates?

I have decided to leave the raunch . This means leaving the bobcat to do his damage. Leaving my lantana in tge gardento thrive on its own.

I am taking my primer black Doge pick up with the gun rack on the back to Disneyworld!

Can I bring my AK strapped onto my back? Where and how should I carry my extra clips? You never know if someone is going to have a meltdown and start a massacre in Disneyworld! After all, it is the wild wild west of the US, I guess.

I like the look of my AK on the gun rack! Should I get some more for my trip to look really tough?

Can I have machine pistols lke Rambo? One in each hand?

See, I am a retired teacher. I kept my hand gun in my left hand while I entered my lessons on the Smart board.

Hopefully you all have a Smart board because I hate turning my back to the class to write on a black board or a white board. Those fumes from the markers . Yuck.

The chalk did keep my hands nice and dry to keep a firm grip on my pistol. Ooooh. The power I felt. Little Johnny didn’t smart off in my class!

I did hate putting my head down to enter the info, but I feel the pistol kept shenanigans in check.

I loved the training where we jumped onto desks and did a backflip to thwart the shooter! So DieHard or is it Harder?

I miss those days of POWER!

I was wondering the same thing, it just doesn't seem to make sense legally or economically for GA.

I wonder how serious they are. Do they think guns matter more than jobs to most of their constituents?

Who's in charge here, anyway?! The people, the law or the lobbyists? (This reminds me more and more of Big Tobacco and Big Pharma.)

:sick:

NRA says Trump opposes new gun control laws

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nra-says-trump-opposes-new-gun-control-laws/

Chris Cox, the executive director of the National Rifle Association (NRA), says that President Trump does not "want gun control."
"We all want safe schools, mental health reform and to keep guns away from dangerous people," Cox tweeted Thursday evening. "[Mr. Trump] & [Vice President Mike Pence] support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don't want gun control.

Cox then retweeted Mr. Trump, who said he had and "Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!"

Gross.

Just a question. If a person is given a gun by parents at 12 or younger, then changing the age of buying a gun to 21 isn't really a big deal, as it seems you can buy a gun legally and then gift it to a minor (which just circumvents age restrictions in buying guns). I have no issue with you buying a gun (well maybe I do, but I don't think that's important as it's just a difference in opinion and not important in this debate). Changing the age to 21 is actually a responsible change imo, because human brains aren't mature at 18.

You also mentioned using hollow point bullets in teachers' guns to avoid ricocheting. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't hollow points do much more damage to a person if they hit them, therefore if a teacher accidentally shot an innocent bystander the likelihood of death or serious injury would be increased, no?

You have answered a lot of my questions (as I'm not familiar with firearms) and I appreciate that.

I don’t have too much of a problem with just the minimum age of purchase being 21, but is that also going to mean a person under 21 cannot posses a firearm? That I have a big problem with. So until a person is 21 they can’t hunt, target shoot, or protect themselves? Now if it were only for the evil so called assault weapons, that would be better and I wouldn’t really care about that.

The hollow point bullet question- yes a hollow point bullet will expand and make a bigger hole. It’s what anyone using a handgun for self defense would use.

They might not care if they die but they care about taking as many with them as possible. That's why they hit soft targets. IMO

We don't ever hear about some crazy person storming the US Bullion Depository in Fort Knox.

[h=1]Depth Of Russian Politician's Cultivation Of NRA Ties Revealed[/h]
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/5900...-politicians-cultivation-of-nra-ties-revealed

A prominent Kremlin-linked Russian politician has methodically cultivated ties with leaders of the National Rifle Association, and documented efforts in real time over six years to leverage those connections and gain access deeper into American politics, NPR has learned.
Russian politician Alexander Torshin claimed his ties to the National Rifle Association provided him access to Donald Trump — and the opportunity to serve as a foreign election observer in the United States during the 2012 election.

These revelations come amid news that the FBI is investigating whether Torshin, the deputy governor of the Bank of Russia, illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to assist the Trump campaign in 2016, McClatchy reported in January.

Not only are congressional investigators interested in the NRA's relationship with Russia, but this inquiry comes as the NRA is receiving additional pressure from groups hoping to pass additional gun restrictions into law, and as dozens of American companies have cut ties with the NRA in the wake of the Parkland, Fla., shooting last month.
"These revelations suggest that for years the NRA courted a top Putin ally who is now reportedly attracting scrutiny from the FBI," John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, told NPR. "NRA leaders still haven't explained their close relationship with Russian officials in Putin's orbit. Until they do, people will continue to wonder what the NRA is hiding."

Can Gun-Control Advocates Make the NRA Toxic?
The fight over firearms is fast becoming a test case for the potential, and limits, of stigma in U.S. politics.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-control-advocates-make-the-nra-toxic/554207/

“It undermines the status of the NRA as a mainstream organization. They’re smart enough to not want to become a 21st Century John Birch society: lots of membership but limited political clout because they’re broadly viewed as extremists.”

“It’s making the organization culturally toxic where it’s been impervious before.”

How the NRA won the obedience of the US government

https://qz.com/1214787/how-the-nras-money-forces-republicans-to-fight-gun-control/

(rbbm)

Asked why they were joining the powerful gun lobby, some first-time members said they felt the NRA had been unfairly maligned after the Florida shooting. Did it matter that companies were cancelling special discounts for NRA members, in the wake of public outrage over the Florida shooting? “No,” answered Linda Petrou and Mary Fleming, two new members from North Carolina, with a laugh. “We don’t even know what the benefits are,” Fleming said.

Overall, NRA members make up only 1.5% of the US population.

In fact, 80% of American gun owners are not NRA members.

Yet the organization wields an outsized influence in the US debate over gun control, and has significantly shaped the US gun laws, through an aggressive attack mentality, sophisticated marketing, relentless political lobbying and big money.

I don’t have too much of a problem with just the minimum age of purchase being 21, but is that also going to mean a person under 21 cannot posses a firearm? That I have a big problem with. So until a person is 21 they can’t hunt, target shoot, or protect themselves? Now if it were only for the evil so called assault weapons, that would be better and I wouldn’t really care about that.

The hollow point bullet question- yes a hollow point bullet will expand and make a bigger hole. It’s what anyone using a handgun for self defense would use.

But isn't the age 18 now? So how would that change a 12 year old being gifted a gun from what happens now?

*Sorry I'm really not sure about how this works. I would have thought the current 18 year old age thing would mean that kids aren't allowed to be in possession of a gun, which I was obviously wrong about.

Yes, a ruling by a corrupt right wing Supreme Court, that was appointed by corrupt right wing politicians, who were elected with money donated by the NRA, and which reversed 230 years of legal precedent. The only thing that proves, is that with enough money you can get the Supreme Court to interpret the Constitution anyway you like it.

Without a link this sounds like sour grapes.

No, one or two shots and the killer would be dead.

IMO

If the NYPD has an 18% hit rate, what are the chances a teacher will bring down a gunman with a shot or two?

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/5900...for-gun-control-protests-wont-hurt-applicants

[h=1]Students Get Mixed Messages On Whether Protesting Will Get Them In Trouble[/h]
After last month's mass shooting a Florida high school, students around the nation have staged walk-outs, rallies and other demonstrations to advocate for stricter gun measures. In response, some school administrators have threatened to suspend students who protest, and are being criticized for cracking down too hard. At the same time, many colleges are sending the opposite message, encouraging and congratulating students' activism.

Needville, Texas Superintendent Curtis Rhodes, was more explicit, posting a warning on Facebook forbidding demonstrations during school hours, and threatening 3-day suspensions for anyone taking part. "Life is all about choices, and every choice has a consequence whether it be positive or negative," he wrote. "We will discipline no matter it if is one, fifty or five hundred students involved... and parent notes will not alleviate the discipline."The post has since been taken down, and the school declined comment, but the warning got students worried — and got lawyers involved.
"Really what that is, is retaliation for a student expressing their first amendment rights," says Texas ACLU Staff Attorney Kali Cohen. She says the hard line approach is not only unconstitutional, but also flies in the face of public schools' mission, as affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court, to prepare young people to be engaged citizens.

Just this week, some 700 middle school students staged a walk out, after informing school officials that it was coming, and getting their blessing.
In Boston, high school students gathered to plan their March 14 walk out were waiting to hear how friendly their administrators would be to the idea, when School Superintendent Tommy Chang popped in unexpectedly, and pleasantly surprised them. He praised their work, and assured them they will not be disciplined for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcou111