Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if AB thinks maybe he should consider new counsel? Seeing how this has unfolded, IMO one has to wonder. IANAL. MOO

Can't think of a reason to do that. So far, the story about AB leaking the deal to NBC hasn't been verified. AB and his attorneys were still reviewing the proposal when the prosecution pulled it off the table. That wasn't the defense team's fault.

The bigger problem is the prosecution not showing the GJ exculpatory evidence that supported AB's version of the events.

Can't think of a reason to do that. So far, the story about AB leaking the deal to NBC hasn't been verified. AB and his attorneys were still reviewing the proposal when the prosecution pulled it off the table. That wasn't the defense team's fault.

The bigger problem is the prosecution not showing the GJ exculpatory evidence that supported AB's version of the events.
Wasn’t it given somewhere upthread that the defense had leaked the supposed plea deal offering? While maybe it was not specifically known whether it was the defendant and / or his counsel, still does not seem to be a good maneuver. And IIRC that was the reasoning given for the prosecution having pulled the offer. And if so was justified.

I hope this latest case and charges are carried across the finish line IMO. Sadly it is about the untimely death by an on-set shooting incident of a movie director. IMO it is not about this defendant. It is about his actions. MOO

Wasn’t it given somewhere upthread that the defense had leaked the supposed plea deal offering? While maybe it was not specifically known whether it was the defendant or his counsel, still seems a bad move. And IIRC that was the reasoning given for the prosecution having pulled the offer. And if so was justified.

I hope this latest case and charges are carried across the finish line IMO. MOO

I read the prosecution's filing and didn't see any reference to evidence or a source for that information. Making a claim that the prosecution in New Mexico somehow got information from people at NBC News in New York that AB or his team were sharing information with an NBC tv reporter requires some kind of evidence to back it up. Witness testimony, a copy of a text or email, etc. The prosecution's filing didn't have any evidence in that document to back up that claim, at least not that I could find.

JMO, for now, I'm discounting it until I see proof. It could just be a rumor. If they bring that up in court, they'll need to provide evidence.

@Betty P The plea offer was rescinded because the defense publicized it. Thats a no no. It was a confidential discussion between the parties. That’s what Morrissey said in her response.
Was the offer contingent upon it not being make public? Morrissey has now released confidential discussions about between her and defense counsel made in settlement discussions. That is crazy. I don't think this case is going to trial.

It seems to me that there is no proof needed of anything as to how negotiations for a plea deal transpired. NEITHER side has any obligation to perform on any of that, until a deal is reached and signed - and none ever was.

Something may have been put on the table. But it was not accepted. The state decided they didn't want to make that offer after all, for some reason (whether a good one or a bad one is up to them to decide).

Until the defense signs it, neither side is obligated.

They can quibble all they want, about who woulda done what or who wanted to do what, and why, but if there's no deal, there's no deal.

Like all negotiations, there can be back and forth, offers, counter-offers, and things put on the table and taken off from both sides. But proof of "why we didn't make a deal" isn't a thing, since "because we would rather try the case" is always the prerogative of either side, up until the point a plea deal is signed by both parties. That's how I see it.

Was the offer contingent upon it not being make public? Morrissey has now released confidential discussions about between her and defense counsel made in settlement discussions. That is crazy. I don't think this case is going to trial.
Don't know. All I've learned is what I read in her recent court filing. She also claims that the GJ members voted not to look at the exculpatory evidence about AB, after hearing all the evidence against him. I know the rules are different in Grand Juries because they're only voting whether to charge someone, but that seems unusual.

It seems to me that there is no proof needed of anything as to how negotiations for a plea deal transpired. NEITHER side has any obligation to perform on any of that, until a deal is reached and signed - and none ever was.

Something may have been put on the table. But it was not accepted. The state decided they didn't want to make that offer after all, for some reason (whether a good one or a bad one is up to them to decide).

Until the defense signs it, neither side is obligated.

They can quibble all they want, about who woulda done what or who wanted to do what, and why, but if there's no deal, there's no deal.

Like all negotiations, there can be back and forth, offers, counter-offers, and things put on the table and taken off from both sides. But proof of "why we didn't make a deal" isn't a thing, since "because we would rather try the case" is always the prerogative of either side, up until the point a plea deal is signed by both parties. That's how I see it.
If the prosecution puts an offer out for a set amount of time, they need to leave it. It appears from her filing they were looking at taking but posturing how it would be done. She revealed confidential information of steps taken by the Defense in reliance upon the offer. Why would she pull the offer because it was disclosed? It is going to be disclosed eventually anyway.

The plea offer was pulled because defense was acting in bad faith. As an officer of the court, Morrissey is not going to file something that is an outright lie. And if it is a lie, then defense can and will refute it and the judge will file a complaint with the bar for Morrissey’s actions. I highly doubt Morrissey is willing to lose her license for this case. Based on AB actions in the media since the incident, it is entirely plausible that he would publicize the confidential plea negotiations; and that he was working on a campaign to distract from any plea hearing; and that he was trying to put together a documentary about the incident and was trying to get state witnesses to be in it. It sounds to me like he was gearing up to take the plea but wanted to create a media circus to take the sting out of it and then the docu would come out later to put a favorable spin on the whole thing after the plea hearing. This is all entirely plausible to me. That’s why the state pulled the offer, rightfully so. AB effed up big time by not taking the plea. As usual, narcissism is the criminal’s foil.

JMO

Last edited:
The plea offer was pulled because defense was acting in bad faith. As an officer of the court, Morrissey is not going to file something that is an outright lie. And if it is a lie, then defense can and will refute it and the judge will file a complaint with the bar for Morrissey’s actions. I highly doubt Morrissey is willing to lose her license for this case. Based on AB actions in the media since the incident, it is entirely plausible that he would publicize the confidential plea negotiations; and that he was working on a campaign to distract from any plea hearing; and that he was trying to put together a documentary about the incident and was trying to get state witnesses to be in it. It sounds to me like he was gearing up to take the plea but wanted to create a media circus to take the sting out of it and then the docu would come out later to put a favorable spin on the whole thing after the plea hearing. This is all entirely plausible to me. That’s why the state pulled the offer, rightfully so. AB effed up big time by not taking the plea. As usual, narcissism is the criminal’s foil.

JMO
What was the bad faith on behalf of the Defense?

Ms Gutierrez Reed, 26, is due to be sentenced on Monday.

She is currently facing a maximum of 18 months in prison, but in a memo to the court obtained by Variety, her lawyers reportedly argue that Ms Gutierrez Reed has already suffered enough “press deluge” surrounding the high-profile case and that no matter what the judge decides in her sentencing, her life will be forever changed.

Pathetic this:

The defence added that Ms Gutierrez Reed wants to express her “deep sadness” to the family of Hutchins, which the defendant was working on, but that legal proceedings have prevented her from doing so.

Well that's the first time I've seen prosecution attorneys trying to sell their case in the news media. It's rather rare and not a good look, JMO. I'll view their news media statements the same as defense attorneys when they do the same thing - I'll judge when I see the evidence and testimony submitted in court.

Those quotes are from the state's filed response, not from a media interview.

In a sentencing memorandum filed this week the state asked that Gutierrez be sentenced to 18 months with a designation of serious violent offender due to her "extreme recklessness."

They argued that her jail calls since being incarcerated demonstrated that she "continues to deny responsibility and blame others," including the paramedics who attempted to save Hutchins.

Prosecutors claim she has complained about the negative effects of the incident during the calls "while never expressing genuine remorse at any time." Gutierrez reportedly referred to the jurors in her trial as "idiots" and "a-------" and complained about the length of time they deliberated for, according to summaries of the jail calls provided by prosecutors.

"Stunningly, Ms. Gutierrez requested during jail calls that her legal team request that Ms. Hutchins' husband and son be contacted and asked to speak on her behalf at her sentencing," prosecutors wrote.

Wow as I predicted HGR has been enabled for too long and this incident will not change her. 6 months or 18 months in prison won’t make a difference imo. It’s disheartening. This sounds like James Crumbley going off on the prosecutor in jail calls and calling himself a martyr. Sometimes I’m scared of where society is headed. These people walk among us.

JMO

Wow as I predicted HGR has been enabled for too long and this incident will not change her. 6 months or 18 months in prison won’t make a difference imo. It’s disheartening. This sounds like James Crumbley going off on the prosecutor in jail calls and calling himself a martyr. Sometimes I’m scared of where society is headed. These people walk among us.

JMO
And many of these nuts are out in public, carrying loaded guns. Scary times.

I'm confused how a gun control and/or a 2A discussion is relevant to the movie set shooting and trial?

She definitely won't win any awards for being smart or intelligent. It seems to me that HGR just keeps digging herself in deeper. Why doesn't anyone tell this girl to act meek, sad, repentant...and to keep her mouth shut?!

She definitely won't win any awards for being smart or intelligent. It seems to me that HGR just keeps digging herself in deeper. Why doesn't anyone tell this girl to act meek, sad, repentant...and to keep her mouth shut?!

So does the jail record everybody's phone calls then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper