Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutor is getting frustrated with Kenney on redirect. As am I. He seems to have trouble giving straight answers. Just answer the question asked. Geeeez! He’s hedging so much.

State - Why is it not a good idea to fire full loads around animals?
Answer- Frankly, it’s considered animal cruelty.
Objection. Sidebar.

Gahhhhhh! Just give a straight answer.

JMO

Ok Morrissey what kinda game are you playing? She doesn’t know when to quit. How many times did Bowels call the detective is relevant how?? Obv a witness/potential suspect calling that many times is very different from a defense attorney doing so. JMO

Yes that’s what the state argued in a pre-trial hearing as to why the presumed cocaine evidence was relevant - it was evidence tampering. Her use of drugs on the job was evidence and she was trying to conceal it. But they have no evidence of her using on set. Seems like a streeeeeeeetch to me but what do I know. JMO
I thought the charge was a real stretch as well. Just no way to show that her alleged drug use played a part. I haven't gotten to watch the trial, but from what I have read, it doesn't sound like there were able to show it was.

@cathyrusson

Stills photographer, Karen Kuehn, on the set of Rust is the state's first witness today.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ql3HwmmXhvg#HannahGutierrez #RustMovieSet

View attachment 487976

Photo taken by Kuehn on the set of Rust shows #HannahGutierrez, David Halls and #AlecBaldwin. Gutierrez has a gun belt in her hand containing a gun and ammo. Witness notes one of the bullets primer color is different than the others.

View attachment 487977

View attachment 487978
Blew my mind when still photographer Karen Kuehn said AB pointed a gun at her & told her to get out ?!
Also found out Alec’s gun was a NEW gun.
In fact all the real guns on set were new.
Per Seth’s testimony.
JMO & what I heard

Can anyone clarify what the horse incident mentioned in court was? I couldn't quite understand what had happened? Was it on the Rust set? Seemingly that a loud firing blank had startled a horse and HGR is allegedly to blame for this too?

I know AB had a producer credit and I think he probably had script approval as well as veto-power over the director and his fellow actors. But I doubt he got involved in the nitty-gritty of hiring the "little" people like HGR or DH or all the other minutiae of movie-making such as budgeting, scheduling and so on. Do you really see him poring over resumes, updating spreadsheets, and so on? That's the job of the line producer. In the case of Rust that was Gabrielle Pickle, who testified previously.

I don't know if I'd go that far. AB was the big name and I'm sure the highest paid person on the movie. He could have insisted that they follow protocol in regards to the safety briefings and ammunition checks. I'm sure DH and HGR would have listened and followed through.

But it doesn't seem like AB ever used this power, so DH had free rein to run the set however he wanted.

Whether or not he does the ‘nitty gritty’ it makes no difference in the hiring of professionals.

If you are the top producer it’s up to you to secure a safe and professional environment on site. Even if DH did the hiring AB should have ‘trusted but verified’. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

You can bet he will be hands on going forward, as it should be.

Blew my mind when still photographer Karen Kuehn said AB pointed a gun at her & told her to get out ?!
Also found out Alec’s gun was a NEW gun.
In fact all the real guns on set were new.
Per Seth’s testimony.
JMO & what I heard
I heard her say he pointed at her to get out of the way, but didn't hear her say he pointed
a gun at her. 40:10 to 40:40.

I have a feeling we'll learn the answer before the end of the trial.

I'm still trying to figure out why HGR loaded dummy bullets into the prop gun when they were only blocking camera shots. They weren't needed. Also, if DH called "cold gun", why were there dummies inside. Cold gun means the gun is empty. Why was AB given a prop gun with dummy bullets, but told the gun was empty?
I’ve been a bit confused about the “cold gun” call myself. My initial understanding was as yours that a cold gun meant no ammo. But if a cold gun is no ammo and a hot gun is loaded with blanks, what are they supposed to say when it is loaded with dummy rounds? So now I think that cold gun refers not only to an empty gun but might also refer to one loaded with dummies - that is cold gun refers to one that isn’t supposed to be able to fire - no “live” ammo as opposed to empty - no noise & nothing propelled from the barrel because it has no powder. I’m not saying that is what cold gun means but it would apply whether it was empty or a dummy round. And “hot gun” means one with “live” ammo referring to a blank which has powder but no bullet - will make noise and could propel something out of the barrel (such as debris or a pebble). I was also a bit confused by the use of the term live ammo as I thought that they were referring to a regular live bullet. It seems I was wrong on that count too since they are not even supposed to have live bullets on sets I guess they don’t need a term for them.

I’ve been a bit confused about the “cold gun” call myself. My initial understanding was as yours that a cold gun meant no ammo. But if a cold gun is no ammo and a hot gun is loaded with blanks, what are they supposed to say when it is loaded with dummy rounds? So now I think that cold gun refers not only to an empty gun but might also refer to one loaded with dummies - that is cold gun refers to one that isn’t supposed to be able to fire - no “live” ammo as opposed to empty - no noise & nothing propelled from the barrel because it has no powder. I’m not saying that is what cold gun means but it would apply whether it was empty or a dummy round. And “hot gun” means one with “live” ammo referring to a blank which has powder but no bullet - will make noise and could propel something out of the barrel (such as debris or a pebble). I was also a bit confused by the use of the term live ammo as I thought that they were referring to a regular live bullet. It seems I was wrong on that count too since they are not even supposed to have live bullets on sets I guess they don’t need a term for them.
It's stupid and dangerous terminology. Anything which is intended as safety information which is ambiguous (which this certainly is) is stupid and dangerous by definition. In fact, I think we've heard from various sources that these are not accepted industry standard terms in any event.

I think they are especially dangerous terms to use because they imply that a different standard of gun safety can apply. If it's a "cold gun" you can't harm anyone, right? This should never be the case where firearms are concerned.

What's wrong with simply saying "gun with banks", or "gun with dummies", or "empty gun"? I also think that an instruction along the lines of "firearm(s) on set" should be announced before anything else.

Let's face it - they say "cold gun" or "hot gun" (both of which are pretty meaningless) because it sounds kinda cool and sexy!

Something I've been struck by during the course of this case is that there's very little suggestion from anyone that HGR could have been 'set up' because people didn't like her.

Does nobody else think that someone could have deliberately mixed in the live rounds to show HGR up and teach her a lesson?

I'm not suggesting anyone wanted to cause a death or murder if they did such a terrible thing, the motivation IMO could be to humiliate her and have her sacked once and for all.

JMO MOO

As well as providing dummy rounds, blanks and other weapons-related material to Rust, Kenney bought the brand-new Colt .45 that star/producer Alec Baldwin used on the movie. Coming from a “provider” in California, that gun – the one that the recently recharged Baldwin was holding when it shot and killed Hutchins – was designated specifically for use on Rust.
Kenney told the court that he provided a single box of 50 Colt .45 dummy rounds that had just come off the prop truck in Texas from Taylor Sheridan’s 1883 series, which Kenney had recently worked on, and was handed over to Rust prop master Sarah Zachery on October 12, 2021.

Something I've been struck by during the course of this case is that there's very little suggestion from anyone that HGR could have been 'set up' because people didn't like her.

Does nobody else think that someone could have deliberately mixed in the live rounds to show HGR up and teach her a lesson?

I'm not suggesting anyone wanted to cause a death or murder if they did such a terrible thing, the motivation IMO could be to humiliate her and have her sacked once and for all.

JMO MOO
I don't think that that is a likely scenario, tbh. Replacing dummies with live rounds is an insanely dangerous thing to do and I can't imagine that anyone would risk killing someone in order to show someone up.

Whether or not he does the ‘nitty gritty’ it makes no difference in the hiring of professionals.

If you are the top producer it’s up to you to secure a safe and professional environment on site. Even if DH did the hiring AB should have ‘trusted but verified’. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

You can bet he will be hands on going forward, as it should be.
AB wasn't the "top producer" on the movie. There were several. He wasn't familiar with how the workers in props, etc. were doing their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass