Hannah Graham: Body Recovered, 18 Oct, 2014 **Awaiting Forensic Confirmation** #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting study on vultures - (BBM)
http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...udy-upends-forensics-human-decay-process.html

NEWS
Type Size: A A APrintPrintEmailEmailMost PopularMost Popular
Texas vulture study upends forensics
by Michael Graczyk - Mar. 8, 2012 10:44 AM
Associated Press

SAN MARCOS, Texas -- For more than five weeks, a woman's body lay undisturbed in a secluded Texas field. Then a frenzied flock of vultures descended on the corpse and reduced it to a skeleton within hours.

But this was not a crime scene lost to nature. It was an important scientific experiment into the way human bodies decompose, and the findings are upending assumptions about decay that have been the basis of homicide cases for decades.

Experienced investigators would normally have interpreted the absence of flesh and the condition of the bones as evidence that the woman had been dead for six months, possibly even a year or more. Now a study of vultures at Texas State University is calling into question many of the benchmarks detectives have long relied on.

The time of death is critical in any murder case. It's a key piece of evidence that influences the entire investigation, often shaping who becomes a suspect and ultimately who is convicted or exonerated.

<modsnip>

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...ensics-human-decay-process.html#ixzz3Gyzy9HYz

IIRC there were 2 sighting of vultures at 2 different dates that were reported. I will try to find the link - it was a segment on CNN The Situation Room so this is just MOO until I can the link. Aired around the 20th?

I mentioned a while back of a dreaded gag order. Does anyone think a gag order would be a benefit or necessary for a fair trial? As far as releasing identity, I don't think LE rushing at this point. They probably need a little breather right now (as far as keeping up with media and going public with evidence) and don't really have the urgency now that they have the body. It's not like JM is going anywhere or has a chance to get out on bond. There's so much going on with possible connections to other cases it's prob smart to keep quiet until all the puzzle pieces fit together.

Well if it's not Hannah, then they've lost 5 days of searching and have to start the search up again. Assuming it IS her, then it agree there wouldn't be a huge urgency for LE, but if it isn't her, I think there would be utmost urgency to get back out there and find whatever can be found to continue building their case.

Maybe,,,,, they are not releasing any info because Chief Longo said they would not until the remains were id'ed, & he means ALL of the remains. So if there is more than one set, it would not seem right to ID Hannah, and announce, ' we don't know who the other remains belong to', until they have exhausted all their resources finding out. If this involves several bodies it might just take a while.
my $.02 FWIW Sneaking in this too--- Thanks to all the WS'ers, really great bunch of folks, still chuckling about Granny & the live in GF, and of course Jinky.

Has anyone else here considered, too, that JM may begin his activities up again in the fall when swimming at Walnut Creek Park closes down and activity around the park decreases? On the WCP website yesterday I saw that swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day, except for days when Albemarle County Schools are in session.

http://www.albemarle.org/department.asp?department=parks&relpage=2744

Maybe WCP is HIS playground in the fall and winter, and he just waits for other people to get out of the way. Maybe locals can explain how much less "supervision" the park has after swimming is no longer available in the fall. I believe I have already read that the maintenance hut is unmanned then, and would also assume that the fee-taker's gatehouse would be unmanned.

No telling what they'll find. Yuck.

Speculation, all moo.

Speaking of the park, are there cameras there?

Interesting study on vultures -
http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...udy-upends-forensics-human-decay-process.html

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...ensics-human-decay-process.html#ixzz3Gyzy9HYz

IIRC there were 2 sighting of vultures at 2 different dates that were reported. I will try to find the link - it was a segment on CNN The Situation Room so this is just MOO until I can the link. Aired around the 20th?

That was interesting, thanks.

Neal Augenstein &#8207;@AugensteinWTOP 12m12 minutes ago

.@HawesSpencer source says search dogs are sniffing today near where remains found in #HannahGraham search

Well if it's not Hannah, then they've lost 5 days of searching and have to start the search up again. Assuming it IS her, then it agree there wouldn't be a huge urgency for LE, but if it isn't her, I think there would be utmost urgency to get back out there and find whatever can be found to continue building their case.

Agree 100%. I just can't see Longo calling off the search if he even thought for a second there was a chance the remains were not HG's. That is one persistent and diligent man! VA is lucky to have him that's for sure.

Jeff Goldberg &#8207;@jgoldbergABC7 14m14 minutes ago

VA Medical Examiner's Office: no ID on remains found in #hannahgraham case, no timeframe as to when they will have answers

Ot but I thought it was defendant who chooses...right to a speedy trial? But if he does not request one, it could drag on, I think. Jmo

Actually the right to a speedy trial is assumed for all in Virginia.

Defendants dont have to request anything.

What that means is that the defendant actually has to sign a waiver, giving up the right to a speedy trial, if they want a continuance or postponement in the case....and only if that puts them past the 5 month mark.

It should be noted that a judge is under no obligation to grant either without good cause.

http://www.pwcgov.org/government/courts/circuit/Documents/007931.pdf

IMO this isnt going to be a long, drawn out case as per JLMs usual stalling tactics, too much is at stake here and the charges are quite a bit more serious than a case of road rage.

That being said, I hope a positive identification is made today to give a bit of closure to Hannah's family and friends.

I have a few theories, but one is that JM used the logging trails that are behind the house as a out of the way opportunity to rape HG and kill her (and others), but yet still be near civilization. Based on his patterns, I think for whatever reasons he didn't want to venture too far into the woods nor be away from his comfort zone of the area. With HG it may have not been near the house, maybe on the logging trail/woods a little ways away. He then dumped her body in the creek. I maybe giving this guy the benefit of the doubt, but maybe he learned something from the MH murder and thought he was getting rid of DNA evidence by dumping her in the creek/water. After some time, heavy rains fell and her body washed up in a tributary behind the house and got partially buried in sediment, silt, etc. The water later receded forming a "dry creek bed" and in came the buzzards. The house has nothing to do with that night. It just so happens that this is where HG's body drifted and where the buzzards later cleaned her to the bone, perhaps carrying away her body parts on to that property. On a side note, is this what the landscaper saw, failing to notice what they were doing on the roof... eating? Could these buzzards have carried parts away dropping pieces some distance from the creek bed and this what the neighbor smelled who live down the road? Are any of these characteristics of buzzards or am I stretching it? I also feel like more victims are in that vicinity of the woods and the other areas of North Garden that may have any networks of old logging roads. I do believe the remains are HG, however with each day my mind begins to roam... Is the reason we are in the dark: a) It's not HG. b) It's HG and others were found also. c) All of the above. d) None of the above, it's HG and we are just being impatient with the wait. Anyone know of a way to find out the rainfall amounts that area got in the time frame of when she went missing?

Sorry if I come across as insensitive with my choice of words and description. I am far from it. My heart breaks with the thought of the victims, family and friends! This world does not have to be so evil. I just don't get it!

Ghost Horses, Just last week I was watering plants on the 3rd story deck when suddenly a HUGE turkey buzzard flew by so close I could have touched it. It was carrying something large in it's beak and crows were in fast pursuit right behind it. Freaked me out! So, yes they do fly with their meal in their beaks. I guess they fly off somewhere else to eat what is theirs and then go back for more and that's how bones are scattered throughout an area. JMPO

I said I would not be concerned about lack of official ID until Wednesday had passed.

:sigh:

It is now Thursday.

Remains still being identified, ME is working with partners to make ID. No time frame.

Well that is very interesting to me. leads me to believe there are no teeth or they have been ate away by time. Doesn't sound like HG to me

Hi Holliberry!

In VA, the prosecutor can choose to file charges while the defendant is incarcerated for other crimes or the prosecutor can wait or choose not to prosecute. They will generally take into account: statute of limitations (none for murder), the "quality" of the prior conviction(s) (chances of an appeal nullifying prior conviction(s), the cost of trial, mood of the general public, and the severity of the various crimes.

My sister was robbed, beaten, and technically kidnapped (dragged across county lines that ran through her employer's parking lot). The prosecutor charged for the robbery and kidnapping, leaving the assault as a back up charge. This was just after the VA Truth in Sentencing laws went into effect; he explained to us that he was not sure if the laws would eventually be overturned, so he held back on the assault charges so the bad guy could be charged near the end of the statute of limitations should it look like he would not be serving much time.

The laws stuck. Had he violated my sister three months earlier, he would have probably spent 12-15 years in prison. Because of when the crime was committed, he has to serve at least 85% (I think) of his 62 year term.

CallMeTres, I am so sorry for what happened to your sister. I am delighted she got (some form of) justice for what was done to her. It is unimaginable the fear she endured. I was assaulted and robbed inside my car; but, thankfully, the guy got away (even after putting my car in reverse and trying to hit him - lol). Afterward, when talking to the police I was shaking so much they offered to call an ambulance. They almost needed one for his body if I had not pulled straight into my parking space. I learned my lesson. Always, always, back in to a space, so I can drive forward with better aim. LOL

I hope your sister is doing well.

Jeff Goldberg &#8207;@jgoldbergABC7 14m14 minutes ago

VA Medical Examiner's Office: no ID on remains found in #hannahgraham case, no timeframe as to when they will have answers

I was only speculating originally and didn't even really believe my own self, but with this I'm thinking the teeth are missing somehow. I agree with those saying more than likely HG has dental x-rays to compare so that leaves me with the conclusion that there's an issue with the teeth. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand