Hannah's Journey on 09/13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very interesting thoughts. I did think the timing was relevant.
Could HG have encountered a sexual assault earlier in the evening? There has been much discussion on here about a possible date rape drug being given to her, maybe earlier in the evening. Or maybe a friend of hers had been a victim?

I was getting chills thinking about that last party HG went to, where supposedly she ran into a male classmate out on the street who invited her to that party, then to read about what the classmate did to the poor girl in the RS article. I agree, why this information came out at this particular time is curious.

So.... this was really wierd.

Last night Evie Ivy Over and I were watching Hannah's you tube accounts. I had to bounce it off her to make sure I was not going crazy! You can see from the picture someone took over all of Hannah's video's on you tube, their account is now suspended. It appears the you tube video's were hacked. Notice "all" of the posts had been changed to "lisadefer" as the poster, as many of you have been watching the Hannah Graham case know this is not correct. I took a snappy - it's posted below.

View attachment 63968

It's amazing how many HG videos are there. I've never really searched anything beyond the surveillance videos, but there are so many, many more. So many people cared so much about her.

I wonder what this person was doing with videos that got them suspended from YouTube?

It looks like the "orginal poster's" names are back now on the youtube videos. Wha the heckwas that all about? Lisadefer , itlooks like, was last active 2 days ago and then she/he was banned. How was this person able to change the name of the poster and WHY??? Very odd.

I was getting chills thinking about that last party HG went to, where supposedly she ran into a male classmate out on the street who invited her to that party, then to read about what the classmate did to the poor girl in the RS article. I agree, why this information came out at this particular time is curious.
It is strange timing. Although we should keep in mind that JM is tied to University rapes being swept under the rug (granted not UVa, but Va).
And maybe with all the talk and trauma the Uni has been going through, the victim of the frat rape wanted to come forward/felt compelled to do so, hearing that another female student died of (most likely) rape and violence.
I love that she went straight to Rolling Stone. No messing around with the Cavalier Daily or The Cville Weekly.

Doesn't a magazine article take forever? The article has to be written, proofed, the mag printed.

I think the whole process takes months.

I bet the magazine article was in the works a long time before Hannah

I was thinking the same about timing of Hannah. "Several" sexual assaults were reported the same night HG disappeared. Not to mention that many have suggested her disorientation could have been result of a roofie. There were at least two huge frat parties going on that night. IMO there really should be a toxicology screen as part of the autopsy. I think that is crucial to the case.

This came up at some point early on here and I think it was concluded drug toxicology tests unfortunately can't be done on only bones (assuming the drug was administered soon before death) ... But I can't remember where that was discussed and what type of link backed that up. Maybe it was just general speculation of this, but it seems to make sense to me that drugs couldn't make it to bones in that short of a time. Of course, all assuming there were only bones left. JMO

From the Rolling Stone article:

"The first weeks of freshman year are when students are most vulnerable to sexual assault. Spend a Friday night in mid-September walking along Rugby Road at UVA, and you can begin to see why. Hundreds of women in crop tops and men in khaki shorts stagger between handsome fraternity houses, against a call-and-response soundtrack of "Whoo!" and breaking glass."

At UVA it looks like wearing crop tops is popular among women.

Fwiw, in the past 24 hours I've received (as a UVA alum) two email letters regarding the RS mag article. One from the Alumni Association president, and one today from the President of the University Theresa Sullivan. Both of them very much taking this article and the allegations extremely seriously- to the point President Sullivan has suspended all grounds fraternity social events until at least Jan 9th. University has also launched a comprehensive investigation including the local police. Phi Psi has also voluntarily withdrawn from the Fraternity Council temporarily. There is a related article with a statement from Phi Psi as well. I'll come back in a bit to try to link up.... Not in a place I can easily do so right now.

eta: (also posted in What Do We Know About JM thread): alumni letter:

Dear Fellow Alumni,

By now, most of you have been made aware of an article in the Rolling Stone titled, "A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA." The article tells the story of a current student and her horrendous experiences at a fraternity party.

We are, as are all alumni, extremely concerned and distressed about the information presented in this article. The behavior described in this article is abhorrent and not to be tolerated anywhere, and particularly not on the Grounds.

We have heard from many of you through direct email, posts, phone calls and tweets. You have expressed shock, anger, extreme disappointment and disbelief. While the article was sickening to read, it has highlighted this issue and has ignited a critical and much-needed conversation about the dangerous behavior occurring here and elsewhere in the country.

President Sullivan has asked the Charlottesville Police to fully investigate the allegations in the article. Last night, the Rector of the Board of Visitors George Martin, issued a statement announcing that the University, in coordination with Virginia's Attorney General, will appoint an independent counsel to review all aspects of the University's policies with regard to sexual misconduct. Both the President's and the Rector's statements can be found here, along with other related information.

The Alumni Association would like to provide you a means to express your concerns, thoughts and recommendations. We have set up an online portal for you to communicate with the University. We will take your comments and ensure that they are delivered to the right people here at the University. You may register your comments here. You may also participate in an online conversation using the Alumni Forum.

We realize that this is a difficult and painful subject, but we also know that through your ideas and debate, a stronger University will emerge.

Tom Faulders, College '71
President & CEO
University of Virginia Alumni Association

Dear members of the University Community,

Over the past week many of you have reached out to me directly to offer your opinions, reactions, and suggestions related to combatting sexual violence on Grounds. I want you to know that I have heard you, and that your words have enkindled this message.

At UVa we speak in idealistic terms: honor and tradition inform our thinking, and balance our daily actions. And it is easy here, where success is demanded as much as it is sought, to let our idealism outweigh our reality.

Jefferson, as he always does, provides a compelling backdrop:

It is more honorable to repair a wrong than to persist in it.

The wrongs described in Rolling Stone are appalling and have caused all of us to reexamine our responsibility to this community. Rape is an abhorrent crime that has no place in the world, let alone on the campuses and grounds of our nation’s colleges and universities. We know, and have felt very powerfully this week, that we are better than we have been described, and that we have a responsibility to live our tradition of honor every day, and as importantly every night.

As you are aware, I have asked the Charlottesville Police Department to investigate the 2012 assault that is described in Rolling Stone. There are individuals in our community who know what happened that night, and I am calling on them to come forward to the police to report the facts. Only you can shed light on the truth, and it is your responsibility to do so. Alongside this investigation, we as a community must also do a systematic evaluation of our culture to ensure that one of our founding principles– the pursuit of truth – remains a pillar on which we can stand. There is no greater threat to honor than secrecy and indifference.

I write you today in solidarity. I write you in great sorrow, great rage, but most importantly, with great determination. Meaningful change is necessary, and we can lead that change for all universities. We can demand that incidents like those described in Rolling Stone never happen and that if they do, the responsible are held accountable to the law. This will require institutional change, cultural change, and legislative change, and it will not be easy. We are making those changes.

This morning the Inter-Fraternity Council announced that all University fraternities have voluntarily suspended social activities this weekend. This is an important first step, but our challenges will extend beyond this weekend. Beginning immediately, I am suspending all fraternal organizations and associated social activities until January 9th, ahead of the beginning of our spring semester. In the intervening period we will assemble groups of students, faculty, alumni, and other concerned parties to discuss our next steps in preventing sexual assault and sexual violence on Grounds. On Tuesday, the Board of Visitors will meet to discuss the University’s policies and procedures regarding sexual assault as well as the specific, recent allegations.

In the words of one student who wrote to me this week, “Policy is needed, but people make change.” We need the collective strength of the members of our community to ensure that we have the best policies. So as you prepare for what I hope is a restful Thanksgiving holiday, I hope that you will take time to review and respond to the recently posted Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, which is currently open for public comment. You may find that policy at this link. Providing candid feedback to this policy is a practical step that you can take to help and I hope that you will.

To our fourth-year students: as you prepare to celebrate your last home football game today, I hope that you will embrace your role as leaders and demonstrate a renewed sense of responsibility to our community, and a renewed commitment to make that community better. It starts today.

Finally, I want to express my grief at hearing the news of the death of second-year student Peter D'Agostino, whose passing adds overwhelming emotion to what has been a difficult semester for all of us.

We are united in our compassion, resolve, and determination: Compassion for survivors of assault; resolve to make our community better; determination to begin to solve this problem here and now.

I hope that you will join me.

Teresa A. Sullivan
President

Posted 2 hours ago.

http://thevirginiaadvocate.com/2014/11/22/crime-map-updates-reflect-new-sexual-assaults/

It has been almost a year since The Virginia Advocate unveiled a device called the “UVa Crime Map,” powered by Google Maps. The Crime Map presents a vivid, interactive rendering of every police report published by Michael Gibson, the Chief of the University Police. It was our sincere hope that the Crime Map would revolutionize the way that students perceive crime on Grounds (and in some cases, neighboring Charlottesville).

With the Rolling Stone uproar, The Virginia Advocate has published new updates to the Crime Map that have occurred throughout the semester. If students zoom into the Downtown Mall, they will see an icon for the abduction of Hannah Graham, who was last seen at Tempo Restaurant and Bar. They will also see several new additions of sexual assault, which are noted under the icon of two blue people standing next to one another.

Looking at our Crime Map, it is clear that sexual assault and forcible fondlings are among the most reported crimes contained in Michael Gibson’s police reports. Assault still appears to be the number one reported crime. The sexual assaults tend to take place around the Corner, particularly on Wertland Street and the surrounding areas.

While The Virginia Advocate has yet to publish an official opinion piece on the Rolling Stone article, we do urge students to consider the data that our Crime Map provides. We want to note that some sexual assaults in Michael Gibson’s reports have no location data, so we decided not to create icons for these reported crimes on our Crime Map in order to maintain a macro picture of the areas on Grounds that have a history of crime.

By Rob Mogni, Editor in Chief

Posted 2 hours ago.

With the Rolling Stone uproar, The Virginia Advocate has published new updates to the Crime Map that have occurred throughout the semester. If students zoom into the Downtown Mall, they will see an icon for the abduction of Hannah Graham, who was last seen at Tempo Restaurant and Bar. They will also see several new additions of sexual assault, which are noted under the icon of two blue people standing next to one another.

Looking at our Crime Map, it is clear that sexual assault and forcible fondlings are among the most reported crimes contained in Michael Gibson’s police reports. Assault still appears to be the number one reported crime. The sexual assaults tend to take place around the Corner, particularly on Wertland Street and the surrounding areas.

By Rob Mogni, Editor in Chief

Thanks so much for sharing this! There is a link to a similar map on the Cvillle police web site. I had tried to search it when I learned that assaults were reported the same weekend HG went missing. NOT one sexual assault was mapped over the course of at least three months. I did not expect to see a lot of pins, but it did seem strange to see burglaries, etc all on their own.

Thanks so much for sharing this! There is a link to a similar map on the Cvillle police web site. I had tried to search it when I learned that assaults were reported the same weekend HG went missing. NOT one sexual assault was mapped over the course of at least three months. I did not expect to see a lot of pins, but it did seem strange to see burglaries, etc all on their own.

Do you think the fraternity rapes are not being reported or why are none showing up?

Dear members of the University Community,

Over the past week many of you have reached out to me directly to offer your opinions, reactions, and suggestions related to combatting sexual violence on Grounds. I want you to know that I have heard you, and that your words have enkindled this message.

At UVa we speak in idealistic terms: honor and tradition inform our thinking, and balance our daily actions. And it is easy here, where success is demanded as much as it is sought, to let our idealism outweigh our reality.

Jefferson, as he always does, provides a compelling backdrop:

It is more honorable to repair a wrong than to persist in it.

The wrongs described in Rolling Stone are appalling and have caused all of us to reexamine our responsibility to this community. Rape is an abhorrent crime that has no place in the world, let alone on the campuses and grounds of our nation’s colleges and universities. We know, and have felt very powerfully this week, that we are better than we have been described, and that we have a responsibility to live our tradition of honor every day, and as importantly every night.

As you are aware, I have asked the Charlottesville Police Department to investigate the 2012 assault that is described in Rolling Stone. There are individuals in our community who know what happened that night, and I am calling on them to come forward to the police to report the facts. Only you can shed light on the truth, and it is your responsibility to do so. Alongside this investigation, we as a community must also do a systematic evaluation of our culture to ensure that one of our founding principles– the pursuit of truth – remains a pillar on which we can stand. There is no greater threat to honor than secrecy and indifference.

I write you today in solidarity. I write you in great sorrow, great rage, but most importantly, with great determination. Meaningful change is necessary, and we can lead that change for all universities. We can demand that incidents like those described in Rolling Stone never happen and that if they do, the responsible are held accountable to the law. This will require institutional change, cultural change, and legislative change, and it will not be easy. We are making those changes.

This morning the Inter-Fraternity Council announced that all University fraternities have voluntarily suspended social activities this weekend. This is an important first step, but our challenges will extend beyond this weekend. Beginning immediately, I am suspending all fraternal organizations and associated social activities until January 9th, ahead of the beginning of our spring semester. In the intervening period we will assemble groups of students, faculty, alumni, and other concerned parties to discuss our next steps in preventing sexual assault and sexual violence on Grounds. On Tuesday, the Board of Visitors will meet to discuss the University’s policies and procedures regarding sexual assault as well as the specific, recent allegations.

In the words of one student who wrote to me this week, “Policy is needed, but people make change.” We need the collective strength of the members of our community to ensure that we have the best policies. So as you prepare for what I hope is a restful Thanksgiving holiday, I hope that you will take time to review and respond to the recently posted Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, which is currently open for public comment. You may find that policy at this link. Providing candid feedback to this policy is a practical step that you can take to help and I hope that you will.

To our fourth-year students: as you prepare to celebrate your last home football game today, I hope that you will embrace your role as leaders and demonstrate a renewed sense of responsibility to our community, and a renewed commitment to make that community better. It starts today.

Finally, I want to express my grief at hearing the news of the death of second-year student Peter D'Agostino, whose passing adds overwhelming emotion to what has been a difficult semester for all of us.

We are united in our compassion, resolve, and determination: Compassion for survivors of assault; resolve to make our community better; determination to begin to solve this problem here and now.

I hope that you will join me.

Teresa A. Sullivan
President

I read that she has gone into hiding for fear of repercussion. Now imagine how the young women who have reported rapes to authorities feel every day.

One gang rape and those boys should never see the light of day. But the President only finds it "appalling". Well, they have known for some time or maybe this indicates their own aberrant behavior/preferences. Didn't one of "Jackie's" friends tell her she should have just enjoyed it?

The fox guarding the hen house?

These men did not participate in a gang rape one weekend and then return to normal dating/sex.
A study from 2002:
Pooling data from four samples in which 1,882 men were assessed for acts of interper- sonal violence, we report on 120 men whose self-reported acts met legal definitions of rape or attempted rape, but who were never prosecuted by criminal justice authorities. A majority of these undetected rapists were repeat rapists, and a majority also committed other acts of interpersonal violence. The repeat rapists averaged 5.8 rapes each. The 120 rapists were responsible for 1,225 separate acts of interpersonal violence, including rape, battery, and child physical and sexual abuse. These findings mirror those from studies of incarcerated sex offenders (Abel, Becker, Mittelman, Cunningham-Rathner, Rouleau, & Murphy, 1987; Weinrott and Saylor, 1991), indicating high rates of both repeat rape and multiple types of offending. Implications for the investigation and prosecution of this so- called "hidden" rape are discussed. Lisak and Miller, 2002

Do you think the fraternity rapes are not being reported or why are none showing up?

Good question! I have only skimmed RS article but was aware of UVA culture/policy prior to its release. From the things I have read, women were either greatly discouraged to report assaults or the few who did brave it, were put under gag order and/or intimidated. IMO, fraternity rapes are grossly under reported. Also, I think there are LE jurisdictions in place, but not sure what they are off the top of my head. I think the ones on the map are police and the frat accusations go through UVA.

A former president of UVA is quoted as saying (paraphrasing here) "rape means waking up the next morning and regretting that you had sex." This website, while obviously not exactly objective in the matter, has a lot of good historical info.

http://www.uvavictimsofrape.com

I do think the timing of the RS article has a lot to do with HG.

Have not been on thread for a while, so hope this has not already been posted and that this is the appropriate thread for this link.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...rat_activities_amid_sexual_assault_probe.html

"CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The University of Virginia on Saturday suspended activities at all campus fraternal organizations amid an investigation into a published report in which a student described being sexually assaulted by seven men at a fraternity in 2012.

President Teresa Sullivan said in a letter to the university community that the Board of Visitors is scheduled to meet Tuesday to discuss the allegations contained in a Rolling Stone article, along with the university's policies and procedures concerning sexual assaults. Groups of students, faculty, alumni and others will be asked to hold similar discussions".

Doesn't a magazine article take forever? The article has to be written, proofed, the mag printed.

I think that's true. A month ago is when HG was found. The victim could have went to RS after HG first went missing, or when she was found, especially if HG was somehow connected to a fraternity party and the victim knew that. JMO

I read that she has gone into hiding for fear of repercussion. Now imagine how the young women who have reported rapes to authorities feel every day.

One gang rape and those boys should never see the light of day. But the President only finds it "appalling". Well, they have known for some time or maybe this indicates their own aberrant behavior/preferences. Didn't one of "Jackie's" friends tell her she should have just enjoyed it?

The fox guarding the hen house?

Heads are going to roll on this one...more than hers. As they should!

After reading the RS article, it makes me wonder if Hannah's case would have been handled with the same intensity if the last place Hannah was seen was a frat house. If UVA covered up a gang rape, why wouldn't they cover up a missing person case? I am sure that people connected to these frats are very infuential at the university.

The Internet has really revolutionized publishing. When everything went to a printer or through a press, yes it took awhile. Yes, most journalistic investigations would usually take some time, but as technology has progressed so has the publishing speed. Think of Watergate; it didn't take so long. In this case, the story had been essentially written and published for some time. This story goes back decades and it was all online. Many woman went public with their experiences, so it is very easy to find witnesses. I wonder how many victims will speak up now. Power in numbers. o one cared to look until now.

Still, this is an old story and not a particularly unique one (wonder what other venerable institutions will be called out); it has been moldering in The Cloud for awhile. Why is it just appearing now as if it were big news? Hannah G.

I wonder who saw fit to push this and make it happen? Someone has the right kind of connections. It amazes me how HG has really touched lives far than she will ever know. Sad, but I think she would be glad that she was the inspiration behind something that will hopefully be a stepping stone for woman. It is not like this issue is new, yet maybe it will be the one time we have dialog that leads to real change.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
red carpet fiber
Back