Hart Island, NY

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Irishknit

Former Member
Reaction score
This article appeared on NPR this am. A series of other stories are coming. I wonder how many other UID/ unclaimed remain without names due to oversight. I hope increased accessibility to Hart Island can give more families the answers they have been seeking.

(this is my first thread posting, if this is wrong please let me know

Hart Island is an unusual cemetery in many ways. Most adults are buried in wide trenches with about 150 bodies. The island has no headstones or plaques, only white posts with grave numbers on them.

The idea of mass graves is so sad. The unidentified buried there may never be moved to their own grave with a headstone. The stillborn or fetal remains, this may not be at all what the parents would have chosen; how many were given other options? The unclaimed were just buried by incarcerated men. And it says information on who was buried there wasn't easily accessible until recently. I think information on the UIDs should have always been available.

I know New York is huge and space is limited, but it's very sobering.

Hart Island is an unusual cemetery in many ways. Most adults are buried in wide trenches with about 150 bodies. The island has no headstones or plaques, only white posts with grave numbers on them.

The idea of mass graves is so sad. The unidentified buried there may never be moved to their own grave with a headstone. The stillborn or fetal remains, this may not be at all what the parents would have chosen; how many were given other options? The unclaimed were just buried by incarcerated men. And it says information on who was buried there wasn't easily accessible until recently. I think information on the UIDs should have always been available.

I know New York is huge and space is limited, but it's very sobering.
I first read about Hart Island during the pandemic when NYC had so many deaths. This article really has me thinking about the individuals interred there.

I first read about Hart Island during the pandemic when NYC had so many deaths. This article really has me thinking about the individuals interred there.

So many things to think about, aren't there.

One thing I wish would be done -- for them to go back and get DNA from any UIDs they didn't previously collect DNA from. And they could try to solve some missing persons' cases.
But that's probably not going to happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back