HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the lack of confirmation/ruling out is strange, but it's hard to imagine the M's being "negligent" enough to leave the shoes/etc on. In fact, it seems strange no matter who did it to what victim. TM followed true crime. It would have had to have been one hell of a rush job, and I doubt she would've been that smug in the weeks following.

Maybe ruling HE out isn't news<modsnip>. Maybe the real news will be when they figure out who it is. Or maybe it's the gag order, or just bad communication w/the public.

I am not sure if this has been asked earlier in the threads. It may be a dumb question, so I am sorry in advance.

I was just wondering, with this gag order in place, if they do believe that body is Heathers or if it is finally determined to be Heathers', would we actually be told ? I would assume with a gag order in this specific case, they would still let the public know or would it still be hush hush? Again, sorry if the question seems stupid, but I really have never followed a case with a gag order before, especially one where there have been remains found that could very well be the victims.

I think they would announce it. How could they keep that information from the public? The details might not be disclosed in a gag order situation (I'm guessing here), but a positive ID would come from the M.E.'s office.

I think they would announce it. How could they keep that information from the public? The details might not be disclosed in a gag order situation (I'm guessing here), but a positive ID would come from the M.E.'s office.

Thanks. That is what I had thought. I just was not entirely sure.

I am not sure if this has been asked earlier in the threads. It may be a dumb question, so I am sorry in advance.

I was just wondering, with this gag order in place, if they do believe that body is Heathers or if it is finally determined to be Heathers', would we actually be told ? I would assume with a gag order in this specific case, they would still let the public know or would it still be hush hush? Again, sorry if the question seems stupid, but I really have never followed a case with a gag order before, especially one where there have been remains found that could very well be the victims.

If Heather's remains were positively identified, her family would have every right to bring her home, hold a funeral/memorial service, and lay her to rest properly.

The gag order is to prevent a change of venue. Heather is already believed to be dead and the Ms are charged with murdering her, so confirmation of her death is not going to taint the jury pool. Details of how she died would probably be withheld until trial, but there would be no reason to conceal the fact that her remains had been identified, IMO.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_6002d384-c4d2-11e3-887b-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

“The Volusia County Medical Examiner’s Office analyzed the remains and provided us with their preliminary findings, but we want to corroborate their findings before going public with the information.”

Still nothing new ...

Thanks for sharing this report. Honestly, in reading this article I am led to believe that the preliminary findings absolutely did not rule out this being Heather. If early M.E. findings believed it was a young child, or male even, then I believe that information would have been shared somewhere. Definitely no surprise to me that they are getting a greater analysis done though, I thought that would happen not long after they were found.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

CA Pound Lab. I'm sure they get the hardest remains possible to identify. How sad but glad they are around. It's their 40th year. Experts. Hopefully this place can determine COD. These are the experts you bring in to court. It feels like a case is being built. jmo It's one of the missing.

The remains must be hard to id. If it were HE, which I don't think it is, something awful would have had happened to her (fire/acid or?) not to find some kind of DNA but may be an older missing child's case like Haleigh, Erica or a child never reported missing & slipped through the system. FL is brutal like AZ on remains. Many of us remember Caylee after 6 months.

http://www.poundlab.org/Welcome.html

If this is Heather, than either someone was terribly misinformed about the condition of the remains, or someone lied, IMO, because the description pointed to someone who had been dead much longer. I think that for some reason, no one can be ruled out at this point, so logically,she cannot be ruled out either. Maybe the bones are in such poor condition as to make DNA extraction especially difficult, I don't know. But I do not see how this could be Heather, with plant growth, etc...but JMO.

If this is Heather, than either someone was terribly misinformed about the condition of the remains, or someone lied, IMO, because the description pointed to someone who had been dead much longer. I think that for some reason, no one can be ruled out at this point, so logically,she cannot be ruled out either. Maybe the bones are in such poor condition as to make DNA extraction especially difficult, I don't know. But I do not see how this could be Heather, with plant growth, etc...but JMO.

Caylee had plant growth within 5 1/2 months growing through her bag and skeleton per the MSM then.

I do believe that you are right about the remains being in such poor condition. With Caylee there wasn't much if at all skin tissue, bones were dispersed due to animal activity and the search area was large & gridded. Hair was present. Bone marrow, I don't remember all of it now. Gah, sad subject to need a refresher in, isn't it?

I just hope some of the missing from FL are found. RIP Haleigh, Trenton, Adji who puzzles me so from his disappearance, Erica Parsons who was gone a long time before reported missing by the people who adopted her, even some young adults like Jennifer Kesse. They have been gone too long without a final goodbye from their family. Whoever it is, may you find peace and your family know where you are at least. RIP

Caylee had plant growth within 5 1/2 months growing through her bag and skeleton per the MSM then.

I do believe that you are right about the remains being in such poor condition. With Caylee there wasn't much if at all skin tissue, bones were dispersed due to animal activity and the search area was large & gridded. Hair was present. Bone marrow, I don't remember all of it now. Gah, sad subject to need a refresher in, isn't it?

I just hope some of the missing from FL are found. RIP Haleigh, Trenton, Adji who puzzles me so from his disappearance, Erica Parsons who was gone a long time before reported missing by the people who adopted her, even some young adults like Jennifer Kesse. They have been gone too long without a final goodbye from their family. Whoever it is, may you find peace and your family know where you are at least. RIP

It would have been barely three months, from when Heather vanished until these remains were found. Seems unlikely to be confused with remains possibly left for years, which is the impression I got. Also, seems unlikely that it would be so difficult to rule rule someone out, if the remains were only about ninety days old. Jmo

Considering where the remains were found, it is more likely, IMO, that the remains (do we know they are female?) may be someone like Kelli Bordeaux (spelling?), who was last seen on April 13, 2012, in Fayetteville, NC, and reported missing 3 days later when she didn't report for work at the nearby army base at Ft. Bragg, NC. The Cape Fear is all over the Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg area. Lots of bridges and out-of-the-way dumping places...

Hoping this body does still have teeth, but I don't know one way or the other. Bodies usually decay a bit slower in water, but if it's been 2--3 years in the water, it prolly doesn't make that much of a difference. Wild animals would not have had an opportunity to scatter the body, so that may help.

I do wonder how many folks are both hoping and afraid that it might be their loved one. There are lots of missing people out there... Such a pity.

It would have been barely three months, from when Heather vanished until these remains were found. Seems unlikely to be confused with remains possibly left for years, which is the impression I got. Also, seems unlikely that it would be so difficult to rule rule someone out, if the remains were only about ninety days old. Jmo

I agree again. The remains would have to be practically destroyed for this comment if it were Heather.

Acid or ? The age of the remains seems more prominent as to that comment. jmo

Part of me thinks this is not Heather because of the presumed or assumed condition of the remains and timing.

But, part if me thinks it is her because of Horry County's interest and the attention to it.

I wonder about...

The use of acid or fire to accelerate decomposition

But thinking further about plant growth...

Was the plant growth native to Florida? If these are Heathers remains and they were disposed of by the Moorers, maybe they grabbed and used lawn bags that they had been using outside their home with leaves and basic yard waste in them.

I understand it can take some time to properly identify remains, but there just seems to be something curious about these.

Seems like the DNA must be a problem? As surely they have some on Heather, but maybe they cannot extract it from the remains for some unknown reason? I can't imagine it would take a month to test it.

Seems like the DNA must be a problem? As surely they have some on Heather, but maybe they cannot extract it from the remains for some unknown reason? I can't imagine it would take a month to test it.

Depends on where the testing is done. The University of North Texas handles DNA testing from cases all over the country and takes six months to a year to deliver results. Other labs may have a similar backlog. Every case is important to somebody, so getting one bumped to the front of the line would be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli