HENDERSON, N.C. - Javion Magee, 21, found dead leaning against a tree with a rope around his neck

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Him giving a homeless person such an odd yet significant amount of money, $228, says to me that he gave him all the cash he had....which is common with people who plan to commit suicide, they give away possessions prior to taking their life. IMO him doing this is because he knew he would soon have no need for that money.
I disagree with this . I gifted a gas station family all the gold on my wedding finger last month. I was not suicidal . One ring had a 500 appr. 15 months before.
I also talked a guy into giving me a free Microwave after that... I do not know why but I do put peoples ethics to the test.

Dang this is sad! Only 21 and his first time out driving after getting his commercial license. Definitely all evidence points to suicide but I understand the family having a hard time accepting it.

I disagree with this . I gifted a gas station family all the gold on my wedding finger last month. I was not suicidal . One ring had a 500 appr. 15 months before.
I also talked a guy into giving me a free Microwave after that... I do not know why but I do put peoples ethics to the test.

Giving away possessions is a common trait of those who end up taking their own life. As with being seen buying rope or a weapon, it doesn't innately point to suicide, but the likelihood is high.

Buying a rope doesn't innately imply he used it to commit suicide. I have been seen on camera buying knives, I've never once used them to hurt myself or anyone else. People buy guns every day and never use them to injure themselves or another.

I get what you're saying, but I think it's important to make the distinction that having bought the rope doesn't innately mean he's the one who put it around his neck, despite it being a possibility.
the articles I have read state the sheriff (who is also a black man) saying the rope was not tied or fixed around Javion. It was simple on his neck. Who knows what he purchased the rope for? Possibly something completely unrelated to his death. MOO. It is also possible he placed the rope around his neck, not because he intended to harm himself but simply for convenience so he could carry it and still be hands free.

I'm going to wait for more info on this one before even beginning to speculate. I need to know COD and more about Javion and his life before I decide if I think there is foul play on this.

the articles I have read state the sheriff (who is also a black man) saying the rope was not tied or fixed around Javion. It was simple on his neck. Who knows what he purchased the rope for? Possibly something completely unrelated to his death. MOO. It is also possible he placed the rope around his neck, not because he intended to harm himself but simply for convenience so he could carry it and still be hands free.

I'm going to wait for more info on this one before even beginning to speculate. I need to know COD and more about Javion and his life before I decide if I think there is foul play on this.

Here's a quote from the Sheriff regarding the rope;
The rope was wrapped around his neck. It was not a noose. There was not a knot in the rope...
Source

And here is a description from the timeline of events;
He had a rope wrapped around his neck 11 times and secured tightly to a tree branch.
Source

Of course it is possible he purchased the rope for some other task. And it is also possible he gifted a homeless man $228 out of the kindness of his heart, not because he wouldn't need it because he planned to commit suicide.

I think it's important to consider the video evidence given in the timeline of events;
6:52 p.m. — Truck pulls back onto the dirt lot at 285 Vanco Mill Road and the ignition is turned off.

The sheriff’s office said surveillance footage from the area shows Magee exiting the driver’s side of the truck and walks “alone towards the wood line on the eastern side of the dirt lot” with an object in his hand.

Magee walks around a trailer and to the front gate of a tractor and truck repair shop before walking back to the wood line of the lot, investigators said.

7 p.m. — Surveillance video shows Magee re-enter the truck and the GPS shows the truck ignition is turned on. From the video, it does not appear Mr. Magee has anything in his hand at the time he re-enters the truck.

7:28 p.m. — Truck is still in an idling state.

7:30 p.m. — Ignition is turned off for a final time.

Investigators said Magee is seen on video walking away from the truck towards the trees, alone, and he does not return.
Source

If I were investigating this, I might think it likely that Javion walked to the treeline with a bundle of rope in his hand, before returning to the truck to contemplate his decision for half an hour, then walking back to the treeline, having decided. It has not been reported that any other person was seen on those security cameras during this timeline, although always possible LE is excluding such a detail as part of their investigation.

I tend to subscribe to Occam's Razor, generally preferring the simplest theory. In this case, the simplest explanation so far points to suicide. Though, I certainly would not have stated as much early on without completing a thorough investigation, which Javion's family has accused the Sheriff's office of doing. This seems to be the family's main point of contention and I certainly do not begrudge them that, if it is true.

Publicly, the Sheriff's office has not yet come to an official conclusion regarding Javion's cause of death.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dr_snuff