Still Missing HI - Ariel Sellers AKA 'Isabella Kalua', 6, last seen asleep in bdrm, Waimanalo, 12 Sep 2021*Arrests

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really don't understand that. Are all states different?

Here in California , my husband and I went through rigorous scrutiny, financial, psychological and emotional, by the State Social Workers.

They looked at our financial records. We had to show proof that we could afford to care for each child, by reporting income and debt ratio, savings, etc...And they did a background check, which included questions about any past bankruptcies or lawsuits, etc.

I am certain they would not have allowed us to adopt if we were facing bankruptcy.

Yes, all states are different. California is probably the most regulated in terms of adoptions.

I also think Hawaiian authorities are more likely to prosecute in a case like this, where they believe prior signs of abuse, coupled with suspicious behavior at the time of disappearance is enough.

Here is some information - Hawaii State Adoption Assistance Program

I just realized I don't know if the Kalua's have children of their own? It's been said that Lehua is closely/privately connected to the kid's social worker. Which makes me very angry, it makes sense that the prior abuse investigation found them not to be at fault.

In AJ Freund's case, CPS was arrested and charged Two ex-DCFS workers charged with endangering life of AJ Freund months prior to boy’s death
Hope HPD and the State are looking closely to see if Lehua's "friend" should be investigated and charged!

This is all so heartbreaking and it happens over and over, in az a family had adopted several children, and had been investigated by cps several times and a little girl in their care just disappeared, she was found deceased in their attic. How can someone adopt again after having several cases with cps, cases in which they were deemed at fault?

Foster care payment can vary from state to state in the U.S. In Illinois, where I live (Chicago) licensed foster parents receive a monthly board payment ranging from $418 to $511 per child, (the rate in 2017, likely up a little now) depending upon the child's age, to cover board, allowance and clothing expenses. That would NOT be comparable to any full-time job and the money is intended to cover expenses for the child. Specialized foster parents (such as experience with special needs children) can receive additional payment. The foster parents can both hold a job outside of the home. Adoptive parents, receive no financial support once the child is adopted.

I was adopted out of foster care, my parents were both Law Enforcement Officers. Mom quit her job as a Deputy Sheriff to be a stay-at-home Mom and they adopted two of us. I could not have had better parents - there are still many wonderful people in the system wanting to adopt which makes this situation that much more tragic.

It’s definitely state specific as to whether financial support ends if the child is adopted from foster care. I have a friend who adopted two from CA foster care. Neither are special needs and she still gets a stipend for them every month, in addition to food benefits, Medicaid, and free daycare. They moved to Texas at the start of covid and the food and medical benefits for the kids just transferred to Texas paying for them, but CA is still paying their monthly care stipend. The only ones in the family that qualify for food and insurance benefits are the two adopted ones. It really surprised me that you can adopt kids and still have the state pay for them.

This case is so unfortunate. I hope her Ariel’s older sister is able to share enough info about what happened to her to bring the killers to justice, but I hope none of the kids witnessed her actual killing. I pray the siblings get the support they need going forward to live healthy and happy lives.

CPS dropped the ball in this situation. They took the kids and placed them in foster care with a parent who had a felony criminal record showing violence. I'm so sorry for what Ariel and her siblings went through during her time in that home.
My condolences to her bio family. This whole situation makes me so sad and angry.
MOO

Can I ask what the fostering and adopting situation is in relation to finances in different countries?

For example in Wales, and likely across the UK, for fostering you are paid as if it is your job, and the rate of pay depends on the level of need of the child. Pay is around £400 per week per child. This amount will be considerably higher if you foster a child with significant behavioral or health needs. Tax-free income, and any benefits you might be entitled to are not affected by this income. In addition to this the child will get direct money for clothing and holidays as occasional lump sum payments.

Adopting comes with no payment, it is as if you gave birth to the child in every way. So you would be able to claim benefits for the child if you are eligible.

BBM this isn’t correct, payments and reimbursements are given to adoptive parents in the UK.
These differ between agencies and local authorities around the country.

Payments are not usually given in the same way as if you were fostering a child ie regular payments every week.
However there is a means tested/panel discretion 'adoption allowance' and this can be paid every week/month to the adoptive parents until the adopted child/ren are 18.

I wonder what the adoption process is like in HI.
In England it is intensive and very invasive, all aspects of the prospective adopter/s lives are explored in depth, past and present, this includes finances, criminal checks etc.

It's worrying finding out about the adoptive parents financial situation.
I really hope they showed those children love and weren't motivated only by money.

I find it absolutely awful that 'Foster carer' is considered a job and many do this just for the financial incentives. :(

I'd like to know if HPD/FBI are still at the home today. Are they digging?
Yes, they are still searching. I just drove by at 6pm, Hawaii time, and there was a large police presence and activity in the yard. It looks likely to continue tomorrow. I couldn't snap any photos since HPD had the entire block closed off and there wasn't a safe place to park on the well travelled street by the entrance to the street they live on. I saw tents up and activity in the yard using some sort of moving device (couldn't tell what it was). Local news says they were removing street manholes and searching there today, too. I sure hope they find her so she can a have respectful burial and criminal case can succeed quickly, plus some closure for her biological family.

Thanks for the update @Dave99. I was surprised not to see any media follow up today at the home. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the two sitting in jail, saved LE all the time searching and just told where Ariel is? Conscience, do they have one?

Party Name Case Case Type Filing Date Next Event Party Type Party
arrow-ff.gif

13 case(s) found, displaying 13 case(s), from 1 to 13. Page 1 / 1
KALUA , LEHUA R 1DRC-21-0007284 - BANK OF AMERICA, N.A. vs. LEHUA R KALUA Regular Claim 11-AUG-2021 Defendant @4837353
Kalua , Lehua 1DRC-21-0003151 - Midland Credit Management, Inc vs Lehua Kalua Regular Claim 05-APR-2021 Defendant @4774044
KALUA , LEHUA 1DRC-21-0001424 - DISCOVER BANK VS LEHUA KALUA Regular Claim 10-FEB-2021 07-JAN-2022 Defendant @4749319
eCourt* Kokua

Beginning in February this year, Lehua was served three notices of default from various banks and a agency that buys bad debt. She stated in a May hearing she was working with a bankruptcy attorney. In a September 10th hearing she said she was still working on filing for bankruptcy.

My point - how is a person who is filing for bankruptcy allowed to adopt children? Is there no financial due diligence performed to ensure the children can be adequately supported in the home? Mind you the Lehua's were in the process of completing the adoption of Ariel's youngest sibling this month. How does this happen?

It’s mind boggling.
I know every state has different processes, procedures, rules, etc but in my state I had to provide financial information to foster and even more to adopt. I had to provide multiple financial references or a credit check, they looked at my taxes, proof of income, debts, etc. Forms were sent out yearly to update financial status which you had to do to maintain an foster home. If you adopt and receive a post adoption subsidy they still require you report this information yearly.

I looked at Hawaii’s regulations and from what I saw it was vague. It just basically said before placing foster child they should verify adequate income. Maybe they did initially and things changed but it didn’t have the same specific guidelines and requirements like my states regulations do. Also, the interpretation of adequate is often left up to a caseworkers with too many cases and so I think things don’t get vetted like they should. I’m from a small rinky dinky town but my social worker could’ve headed up the Pentagons security. She checked everything monthly…fire extinguisher dates, their mattresses, receipts proving that I bought food, clothing, etc. She was intense, but I loved her for taking my children’s welfare so seriously. I wish Ariel could’ve had that level of advocacy and support.

https://humanservices.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/17-1625-Final-12-9-10.pdf

I find it absolutely awful that 'Foster carer' is considered a job and many do this just for the financial incentives. :(

Absolutely. I've supported young care leavers who've suffered horrific abuse in foster care. I've also been made aware of young children being abused in current foster care and reported it and nothing was done. I do know a few people who can't be bothered to go to work and became foster carers and have an income of £40,000 annually, which is almost as much as I earn having been to university and spent 20 years building a career (which of course means that they are financially far better off than I am because their income is not taxed and they don't have the expenditure of someone going out to work such as fuel and childcare costs).

What the answer is I don't know, because if it wasn't paid people wouldn't do it. It's an education for me to see that in some states the payment is £300 per month, whereas in the UK it's nearer £2,000.

HONOLULU (AP) — A biological sister of a 6-year-old Hawaii girl reported missing by their adoptive parents told police the parents forced her to keep it a secret that Isabella Kalua was not breathing inside a dog cage in the bathroom, with duct tape on her mouth and nose.

The new details were revealed in documents filed in court Friday to justify the arrests of Isaac and Lehua Kalua, who adopted Isabella and two of her siblings and were foster parents to another of her biological siblings, on suspicion of second-degree murder.

More at Sister: Hawaii girl was inside dog cage and not breathing

HONOLULU (AP) — A biological sister of a 6-year-old Hawaii girl reported missing by their adoptive parents told police the parents forced her to keep it a secret that Isabella Kalua was not breathing inside a dog cage in the bathroom, with duct tape on her mouth and nose.

The new details were revealed in documents filed in court Friday to justify the arrests of Isaac and Lehua Kalua, who adopted Isabella and two of her siblings and were foster parents to another of her biological siblings, on suspicion of second-degree murder.

OMG
They tortured that little girl and made the others watch. (IMO)

sweet jesus :(

More at Sister: Hawaii girl was inside dog cage and not
breathing

Dear God. I’m crying. I am completely unable to comprehend why anyone would do this to anyone, let alone a child. It’s evil. I don’t know what else to say.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back