GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MauiJen thank you for your everything that you've added to our lives. Bad English, I know but you're owed a huge hug either way! :heartbeat:

Taking personal property... No!
Entering without notice... absolutely, if the situation demands such attention.

The landlord can not withhold property to it's rightful owner without a judgement, basically due process must be served. He'll have to return her property. But he also has the right to sell it if she doesn't pay rent. Either way, both parties will have to go to court.

Keep in mind, if you or I were to take a hiatus from life and go off the grid for a few days without telling the family, does your next-of-kin have the right to go into your apartment and start packing you up?

Unfortunately I don't think Charli and her baby boy took a hiatus.

A landlord is allowed to enter what is technically their property IF there is a reasonable and warranted issue such as a burst water pipe that needed immediate attention. Otherwise notice to enter is to be given. A landlord cannot come and go as they please.

If the rent is not paid, there is an eviction process through the local courts that needs to be followed. Back rent does NOT give a landlord the right to access the property or take items as "payment". The eviction process can take 2-3 months.

If rent is owed and the property is reasonably considered abandoned and attempts to collect go unanswered any personal property must be cataloged and kept safe for thirty days. After 30 days it's the landlords. Sell it, throw it out, keep it, give it to family.

Lease or no lease a tenant has rights.

It seems like the landlord could have potentially tampered with evidence. For all anyone knows, Charli or someone else could have returned to her home prior to her disappearance. I noticed on the video that her rental was an "Ohana"...a separate building next to the main residence on the taxlot. Common in Hawaii, they are used for relatives and renters alike. This ohana looked to be very close to the main house. I'm sure the landlord would know there was a new tenant on the way...by which I mean the fact that his tenant was pregnant.

Everyone knows newborns make noise....and the landlord seems hellbent on getting her belonging out of there...and she has only been missing 10 days or so? Its not even end of the month rent due time. Not only is the landlord issue sad, it seems suspicious.

Have search parties looked in the gullies and fields near her residence?

To continue,
Nikki Lisette is absolutely correct.
As a property manager, you do not have the right to give access to the apartment to anyone, police included, without a search warrant/court order. Family included as well.
One can assume it is the right thing to do in particular situations but ultimately following the legal process is the best path. The police should have a court ordered search warrant to obtain any evidence that may be in her home. And the landlord needs to start the legal process of eviction. As horrible as it sounds that's the world we live in. Laws sometimes prevent us from the simple act of doing the nice thing.

I am shocked that the police have not been in her home yet after 2 weeks?!
I can certainly understand the family's frustration. I would probably have snuck in a window to. But at the end of the day like I posted above..do it all by the book. Less chance of tampering with evidence and legal bull down the road.

I too find it somewhat suspicious...no decent landlord let alone person behaves the way he has. How often did he just let himself in? Maybe he followed her that night to "collect" on the rent he claims she owed him...hmmmm

Here is an idea which I'm surprised has not been presented on this form.

Everyone is wondering why call a pregnant woman to help with car trouble?

They were friends with benefits (who probably had sex about the time she got pregnant) and full moon was 2/14. The call for help could also have been a booty call too....get the stuck truck & stop at the beach on the way home.

Could explain the blanket and clothing.

On the drive down they had been talking baby names (according to interview transcript of ex), so they were probably getting along. At some point talk of the future would be a natural topic to arise...perhaps on the drive down...or perhaps at the beach....perhaps after a bit of fun in the moonlight. Who knows how such a discussion would go down.

Sure it's the landlords property but he does not have the right to enter it at will nor to take anything out of it until after he's gone to court and gotten a judgment. That's terrible that this girl was gone 11 day and he's already in there picking things over, taking all her electronics. He does not have the right to do that, it's her property. And until her body is found or he goes through the eviction process, he has no right or business entering the premises. And right now, isn't it just his word that rent is owed? Where is his proof that rent is owed and not paid? In any case, he doesn't get to take possession of the premises nor her belongings in 11 days. No way.

FYI - Friends visiting from the mainland has a scary encounter on the Hana highway last month (Jan 2014) when going for coconut ice cream at a well known street stall/store...the local rustic "kine" (kind for all you mainlanders), during daylight hours.

Somewhere along the drive in the jungle, they pulled over and were approached by a masked man riding a dirtbike who circled back around to them and asked them if they were scared...then sped off.

The group was 2 mothers (both 40 or so) and 3 young girls.
The mask was one of those which resemble a skull face.
They were a bit spooked, enough to tell me about it the next day.

Guys on dirtbikes are a common site on Maui roads...popular transport for the pot growers heading up the hill...and the skull mask isn't exactly uncommon either, however asking a bunch of females in the middle of nowhere if they are scared is disturbing.

I think the ice cream place is at the Nahiku Marketplace...but I really don't know for sure....but it is noteworthy that the dog Nala was found near or at Nahiku Marketplace.

Here is a bit of info regarding what happens to vehicles left unattended overnite on Maui:

Night 1 - Break-in via window(s), interior stuff disappears.
Night 2 - Wheels are stripped and sound system too...if they survived night 1.
Night 3 - All remaining windows and lights are smashed to smithereens.
Night 4 - Vehicle is torched.

That's what I've seen happen on the highly trafficked main highway on the west side. For a more remote locations, especially those off the main road... timeline is certain to advance.

So having a SUV get stripped and torched is the norm if it was left unattended overnite for any reason on or near the Hana Highway...especially south of Paia/Haiku.

Getting a SUV flipped?
Gotta drive it like you stole it and get hurt rolling it in the process, pull it over with one truck...or lift it with a bunch of buddies.

I find all the players in this drama to be strange.. the exBf calling a pregnant woman to help him with a disabled car... the family wanting to get into her ohana to get her posessions.. the landlord already in there stealing her stuff... smh.
We are taking her ex's word that he lost track of her on the way home... but we do not know that she did not go home.. or anyplace else... after she helped him out. (just playing devils advocate here) Could the landlord have taken her possessions while she was gone and she returned to find them gone.. and a dispute occurred? ( does not explain the dog being found so far away tho)

I am surprised the police had not sealed off her ohana, checked it for evidence.. just allowed the landlord to go in and disturb anything he wanted? Im sure the police asked him if she had been home that evening (after helping the ex) If he were involved ( not at all saying he is... just theorizing) it would be easy to say No... then go in and 'clean up" evidence. Either way, the land lord appears to be pond scum.

Do we know if the ex supposedly called anyone else to help with the disabled truck? ( I would assume that MOST men would first ask another man to help.. not a pregnant ex gf... ) Do any friends confirm that he called THEM to help him first?

And I am just gonna toss this out there... could Charli have had some car issue herself... no cell reception... started walking... maybe struck by a car ( since there is NO shoulder of the road, and in the dark no one would expect to see someone walking there...) and end up off the road somewhere... and her car stolen and torched by someone who just thought it abandoned? I am sure if this were the case, neither perp would come forward for fear of being charged with murder... ( and could the dog have been picked up by someone heading the other way.. who had no idea that it was not just a nice lost dog?)

Wow! Unbelievable! I would say it's more than disturbing, it's downright disgusting and selfish of the landlord. What a miserable thing for her family to have to go through!

We had a landlord that tacked an eviction notice on our front door one time, just because we didn't pay the rent on time. We were one day late!! Can you beat that?? My husband went over to his house with the rent money the same day and he apologized, but we never trusted him after that. Needless to say, we found another place to rent soon after.

I realize the landlord is within his rights to deny the family entrance into the house, but this girl is missing, there is potential evidence inside her home and the police are not able to get in there to collect it (her DNA) to use in their investigation. The laws need to change in this case. Basically, the family's hands are tied and this is horrible. I'm sorry, but I just can't see the landlord's POV. Maybe if he hadn't taken her things, but that was crossing the line and once he did that, he loses all credibility in this situation.

Exactly!! Here, I think a landlord doesn't even have the right to enter the tenant's home without prior notice, except in an emergency. Most landlords I've ever had are respectful, but a few have been total jerks. Tenants have a right to their privacy.

In this situation, I'm going to guess that he KNEW she was missing, most likely dead, and he took advantage of it. Despite that, LE could get a search warrant and he would have no choice but to let them in.

I have no idea what rights her parents have regarding removing her things, though. I'm sure if they got a lawyer who would do some research on the laws there, it could be settled to everyone's advantage, but I agree he crossed the line when he took her belongings. That was.... crude.

Also, I just wanted to pop in here and let you guys know that I'm not sure I'll be back on here much. Emotionally, this case is just way too close to home and it's too upsetting for me. I'm not sleeping well, I'm on edge, and I think because I personally know Charli and consider her a friend, I am having a hard time looking at this objectively. I'm not sure it's healthy for me to be involved in this type of conversation. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I realized that the more time I spend on here and going over and over the case, the more upset I become. I'm still happy to answer any specific local questions that the other locals can't help you with. Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime! And I may stop in every few days or if I come across anything specific to report. But I probably won't be here on a daily basis. I'm not even sure it's appropriate to post this, but oh well! :-)

I can tell you that everyone who knows Charli is taking this very hard. I was at the Hui for several hours yesterday and the staff there is a mess. They have had Grief Counselors coming in regularly to work with the staff and plan to continue to have them there. We all just want answers. And now with this landlord situation, and the family is also trying to figure out a way to keep Charli's dogs (they also rent and are having some difficulty with their own landlords, they finally got approval to keep the dogs, but have a very short deadline to get a large kennel built by SATURDAY, and don't have the supplies or manpower to get that done). All of these extra issues are not where family / friends focus needs to be right now.

So anyway, I'm sure none of this is really relevant to this forum, but there you have it. Thank you all for being so welcoming to me, a complete newbie!

I'm sure it must be overwhelming, so I completely understand. I appreciate you for what you have contributed here. I'm not able to be on this thread a lot, but I do check it as often as I can, and you have been very helpful. Especially describing the area, and your insights on Charli as well.

Thank you for being open and honest, it must be so difficult to know someone that well, and go through all this with her missing. My prayers and thoughts to all that knew and loved her, especially her family. When I came across the picture of Kim yesterday, it made me cry. As a mother, I can only imagine the pain she must feel.

FYI - Friends visiting from the mainland has a scary encounter on the Hana highway last month (Jan 2014) when going for coconut ice cream at a well known street stall/store...the local rustic "kine" (kind for all you mainlanders), during daylight hours.

Somewhere along the drive in the jungle, they pulled over and were approached by a masked man riding a dirtbike who circled back around to them and asked them if they were scared...then sped off.

The group was 2 mothers (both 40 or so) and 3 young girls.
The mask was one of those which resemble a skull face.
They were a bit spooked, enough to tell me about it the next day.

Guys on dirtbikes are a common site on Maui roads...popular transport for the pot growers heading up the hill...and the skull mask isn't exactly uncommon either, however asking a bunch of females in the middle of nowhere if they are scared is disturbing.

I think the ice cream place is at the Nahiku Marketplace...but I really don't know for sure....but it is noteworthy that the dog Nala was found near or at Nahiku Marketplace.
OT: Was it a mask or a helmet? I've seen the helmets with menacing skull faces.

There are jerks everywhere. One thing I noticed that sets tourists apart from locals is tourists cling to their valuables with a protective hand. They wear their wallets in a fanny pack, women have their handbags draped across their bodies. I assume it's because they are carrying vacation cash and whatnot. But tourists need to remember, some locals carry valuables too! Lol. Anyway, I don't know why I brought that up. I was just thinking about the visitors I see Westside.

MAUIWatch
CHARLIWatch: JUST RELEASED STATEMENT FROM CHARLI'S FAMILY:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=261334420713930&id=175532162627490&set=a.175752005938839.1073741828.175532162627490&source=46

The Family of Charli Scott would like to thank the*Maui Police Department*for their tireless efforts in the investigation of Charli’s disappearance. We want to clear up any rumors or misconceptions that we are displeased with the efforts of the police. They are working hard, long hours and sacrificing time with their own families to assist our family in this difficult time. For that, we are deeply grateful. We are asking the Maui community to join us in our support of the police and their efforts. We have complete faith in our police and know that they will call upon whatever law enforcement resources they need to find our Charli. The police have treated our family with kindness and dignity every step of the way and kept us apprised of case developments as appropriate. Our community is lucky to have them looking after us.

We’d also like to clear the air about rumors surrounding Charli’s ex-boyfriend, Steven Capobianco. Steven has been identified by police as a “person of interest” in this case because he was one of the last people to see Charli before her disappearance. Importantly, the police have not named him as a suspect in her disappearance. The family is aware that Steven has met with Maui police and has been fully cooperative in their investigation. We want to express our gratitude for Steven for his continued cooperation. We also want to discourage the community from harming, threatening, or unfairly judging Steven. This is a difficult time for him as well, and he also deserves the compassion of the community. His continued cooperation may be the key to solving this mystery and any mistreatment of Steven is counterproductive to our shared goal of getting to the truth.

Finally, we want to thank the people of Maui – and beyond – for their support to our family during this time of fear and uncertainty. Your thoughts and prayers are felt and greatly appreciated. We want to encourage the public to keep talking, calling in tips, and forming search parties. We don’t want Charli’s disappearance fading into history unsolved. We also want to echo the police’s wish that if any possible evidence is discovered by community volunteers, please preserve the crime scene and call the authorities for proper evidence retrieval and crime scene investigation.

Mahalo,
The Family of Charli

Last night they showed a teaser right before the news of police loading Charli's entertainment center in a truck. So I assume they took her possessions from the landlord. I recorded it because I didn't stay up to watch but I will watch it later today.

MAUIWatch
CHARLIWatch: JUST RELEASED STATEMENT FROM CHARLI'S FAMILY:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=261334420713930&id=175532162627490&set=a.175752005938839.1073741828.175532162627490&source=46
We also want to discourage the community from harming, threatening, or unfairly judging Steven. This is a difficult time for him as well, and he also deserves the compassion of the community. His continued cooperation may be the key to solving this mystery and any mistreatment of Steven is counterproductive to our shared goal of getting to the truth.
I imagine Charli's family (and MPD) don't want SC moving away as Mo's ex did, perhaps due to threats from the public. (of course many think he left because he is guilty)

BBM

This all just seems so pre-meditated to me. I've been thinking for some time that all the road to Hana stuff is a red herring. Carly might be somewhere close to her house, or the perps house.

Do we know if she went home after she left her sister's? Did she have her dog with her at her sister's? Did she have to go home to pick him up? Were the clothes found the same she was wearing that night when she left her sister's?

Many of us are thinking along the same lines with regard to the road to Hana. Charli may or may not be there. There is currently no evidence to indicate that she got as far as Keanae, although her dog was found even farther up the road in Nahiku. I definitely think the dog is a red herring, but I have mixed feelings about the clothing and blanket. Charli’s cell phone reportedly last pinged at approx. 11:00 PM at Honomanu. Her clothes and blanket were found at Nuaʻailua Bay. If I were conducting the investigation, I would assemble a good dive team and check that bay thoroughly. If the search came up empty, I’d go back to the Haiku-Peahi area.

I went through the resource thread again this morning. The links say that Charli’s car was found in pineapple fields, but the area above Jaws looks like sugar cane fields to me, and it sure would be easier to hide a vehicle in a cane field as opposed to a pineapple field. I wonder if anyone saw smoke or smelled anything burning. Someone could have stolen and burned Charli’s car, but if foul play was involved in her disappearance, a more likely scenario would be that a perpetrator burned it to destroy evidence.

Do we know if the ex supposedly called anyone else to help with the disabled truck? ( I would assume that MOST men would first ask another man to help.. not a pregnant ex gf... ) Do any friends confirm that he called THEM to help him first?

And I am just gonna toss this out there... could Charli have had some car issue herself... no cell reception... started walking... maybe struck by a car ( since there is NO shoulder of the road, and in the dark no one would expect to see someone walking there...) and end up off the road somewhere... and her car stolen and torched by someone who just thought it abandoned? I am sure if this were the case, neither perp would come forward for fear of being charged with murder... ( and could the dog have been picked up by someone heading the other way.. who had no idea that it was not just a nice lost dog?)

I've been wondering something similar... like What IF Charli got a flat tire? The road is very winding so it's plausible that SC would've driven around the next bend and even if she tried flashing her lights, he wouldn't see them. Supposing SC made it home, truly had nothing to do with Charli's disappearance ... that puts him in a tough place because maybe no one can verify his whereabouts (home & to bed?) and he wouldn't have known he needed an 'alibi' ... he may forever regret not waiting for her car lights to reappear/not calling her to make sure she was home safe. But, to be fair to him, did her family call that night to make sure she got in okay? In one interview, they mentioned how tired Charli was from a long day but I'm under the impression it wasn't until the next morning they became worried. Some people are the paranoid type who worry about things like that (I am - I call if I'm late or when I get home from visiting my family so they know I got home ok), others have the 'no news is good news' approach to life.

But ... I keep coming back to her dog ... if Charli was frightened, would Nala let anyone near her without putting up a big fight? How did her abductor separate them? Even if Nala knew her abductor, I find it hard to believe she would not be aggressive if Charli was upset or injured! I actually know very little about dog behavior so I probably shouldn't speculate on this.

Last thought about SC... you know how some people just don't have a 'filter'? Whatever crazy thought pops into their head comes out their mouth before they realize how it's going to sound... maybe he's like that and that could explain the odd interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle