GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all want to understand why he did this and how. That said, I know some honest-to-goodness true narcissists that are former patients of mines, one with a dual diagnosis and none of them behave like Steven. Not even close. Steven seems to be in a state of self preservation. He effed up, regretted it and had to play the role of "I didn't do it". Why did he kill Charli? Because he's an idiot. He valued his life over that of someone elses. And while this is no where near the same on a grand scale, remember the times you've run a red light. At that moment you were valuing your life over that of someone elses. Justify it as you may, you broke the law and you didn't feel like braking.

No personality disorder is needed to lose all sense of reality and kill someone. He is capable of love and affection, he just didn't give any to Charli. I hate to use this as a copout for his stupidity but the boy liked video games. While playing video games you maim and destroy with one goal; self preservation.

I stayed up late last night watching Loo's testimony again, specifically the video of Charli's remains presented to the jury. Steven had his mouth covered for a good portion and his jaw was clenched. He looked horrified and grimaced. No way that was acting. I saw him draw in a big breath and squeeze his eyes with his hand as if he were reliving the moment and wanted to erase it from his mind. I don't think he'd ever seen his crime in the daylight. He was particularly disturbed by the clumps of red hair. Why?

It's time for him to confess and let her loved ones grieve for her. The testimony is only going to get worst.

To piggyback on this I think it's possible he did the heinous above and beyond because he believed it was more heinous than what he actually would do or was in his heart and that those who knew him would think so too and so not believe it was him and think it was some kind of serial killer instead. Maybe insane coke-filled night for that one.

Snipped from Nikki "That said, I know some honest-to-goodness true narcissists that are former patients of mines, one with a dual diagnosis and none of them behave like Steven. Not even close."

Can you elaborate on what you mean?
Yep. For instance, if SC were a diagnosed narcissist or one with a personality disorder, he wouldn't be sitting there, quiet and reserved. He might exhibit outbursts and defiance when his character was malaligned by testimony. I haven't heard any testimony of boastful claims made by SC. I've heard the opposite, that he was sullen and withdrawn when he was typically very social (re: the invite to Kaiser's sister's home). Most importantly, SC attempted to hide his crime. He also attempted to remove Charli's identity so it wouldn't appear he'd done it. If you recall murders commited and bodies found hidden in plain sight, those may have been commited by someone with a narcissistic personality disorder. They just don't give a damn. The men also tend to be volatile and abusive. OJ Simpson?

Narcissism is only one facet of a diagnosed personality disorder and cannot be selectively relied upon as a label to fit flawed character traits. We all have quirks and if necessary, each one of us would be diagnosed with a textbook disorder.

This is a subject in which none of us is qualified to diagnose or label SC. To avoid embarrassment, it's best we leave the psychiatry and psychology to the doctors.

Yes, SC murdered Charli and then dismembered her but why is that any different from strangling? There is no safe zone in homicide. His dismemberment showed extreme depravity but he was already there when he first sliced into her womb.

To understand his mental state
father abadonment
mother issues extreme and then sudden abandoned him by dying.
mother died about a year before Charli was murdered
i don't think he dealt with his feelings about mothers death
Taylor didn't need him
Cass moved back to PA
Charli wouldn't have an abortion for him
As Peter Tosh has said, SC saw it as HIS island. He wasn't going to move and it was too small to spend next 18yrs as a deadbeat dad. He wanted fantasy life with Cass not real life.

Thanks Nikki! That's what I was trying to say. You said it much better.

18 years supporting and nurturing a unplanned child would have been a walk in the park compared to a life in prison with no freedom whatsoever, not to mention the loss of all of his good friends and the girlfriend he was so crazy in lust with.

I agree with you, Nikki. We are all just trying to figure out this horrible moment in time. It is beyond my understanding how one human being could try to obliterate another in such a depraved, heinous manner.

I just pray she went quick. However... ...

1. This does put to rest any doubts about his cleaning his veh. & seems to connect with SC's post from the cleaning website.
2. It would be surprising if that was not the *truck* that was "home" " broken down", the whole time.

Simple: he's just not that smart and thinks he is.

I keep thinking how dumb to go all the way out the Hana highway, but only to Honomanu which is the FIRST place with beach access by vehicle from Hana highway, and then ditch the truck at Pe'ahi which is right by his house.

He didn't torch it far out in Hana in the jungle some place where it would be less likely found because he would have needed first hide another vehicle there for him to drive back. And then if that vehicle didn't start he's damned for having it parked right next to Charli's burned vehicle. So just torch it at Pe'ahi and walk home.

He just thought it all could look like someone else
"I mean, probably. Did they say that was the only car torched and flipped over, 'cause that's a load of crap. There's like a dozen of them down there."

"Everybody else on the island seems to love me." Who could ever believe he could do such things!

Please please don't take this as argumentative, I'm not trying to be, but we really don't know what his relationship with his mother was. We can speculated based on things we've read but at the end of the day we just don't know. He could have had many good years of a good childhood and a good relationship with her. We've read that she struggled with drugs but again we don't know her history either.

We also have not heard from an expert psychologist that he is diagnosed with any personality disorder. Other than the alleged crime we've heard from several people that considered him family, a best friend, coworkers who liked him and at least 2 women that were in love with him.

Having said that, I suspect both play a factor but the way it's being worded is as tho this is all fact and not speculation.
I'm waiting to see if a psychologist does in fact testify. I'm waiting to hear from a witness that they felt he was these things.
: )

I've asked the mods to delete my post.

Good luck to you all in your sleuthing.

*goes back to lurk mode*

From the Maui News article dated Aug 13:

Scott's mother reported her missing the night of Feb. 10, 2014, after family members hadn't been able to contact her all day.

The next night, at about 9 or 9:30, after Gaines had received information that Scott's Toyota 4Runner may have been seen in Keanae, he said he drove there with Capobianco.

Here again is a reference to the non-specific information that AG had received (perhaps on FB?) that Charli's 4Runner may have been seen in Keanae on Sunday, Feb. 9. I hope that we will hear from upcoming testimony who gave AG that information and when. SC told Kurt Kaiser that his vehicle was in the parking lot of Mana Foods, unlocked, on Sunday Feb.9 and then told Brooke and Adam Gaines on Tuesday, Feb. 11 that he and Charli went in her car to Keanae to repair his vehicle which was on Hana Hwy. So why did he tell a different story to the police, Brooke and Adam on Tuesday? I'm again thinking that he thought someone had seen Charli's 4Runner, with it's distinctive skull grille lights in the Keanae area so he had to make up a story to explain his whereabouts. Now, if Adam received that information late Monday, or before the police went to SC's house on Tuesday, maybe Adam told SC, "Hey, I got this tip, let's go search in Keanae tomorrow". Or maybe SC saw a familiar vehicle on Hana Hwy. that night and knew he'd been spotted. And if he was indeed spotted by someone, maybe that other someone will testify.

If they can prove without a doubt that SC is the one who torched her 4runner the jury will have a hard time thinking SC was not involved in the murder. You gotto wonder why he would torch it if he didn't murder her.

Somewhere in the back of my head I'm wondering. Like Pua said when he watched the pictures of her remains he seemed to react like that's what happened!!?? I just don't know if it was an act or true shock from him. I wonder if someone else finished for him and he didn't know that's what was done to her.

What is this big lie Apo speaks of?

I really really want to know if he had any emotion when his friends were on the stand calling him a best friend and family. Was anyone there to tell??
I think this will speak volumes.

Somewhere in the back of my head I'm wondering. Like Pua said when he watched the pictures of her remains he seemed to react like that's what happened!!?? I just don't know if it was an act or true shock from him. I wonder if someone else finished for him and he didn't know that's what was done to her.

What is this big lie Apo speaks of?

That's a major question in my mind, also, HGO: Did SC mutilate Charli's body or did an acomplice? Killing a person in a rage or not is one thing, maybe even understandable at times (not right, but one could see how it could happen) but mutilation, especially to the extreme as in Charli's case seems to be an entire other twisted realm.

That's a major question in my mind, also, HGO: Did SC mutilate Charli's body or did an acomplice? Killing a person in a rage or not is one thing, maybe even understandable at times (not right, but one could see how it could happen) but mutilation, especially to the extreme as in Charli's case seems to be an entire other twisted realm.

I imagine it takes a bit of a while to kill somebody with a blade. Machete or what ever. Was her jawbone cut off and then the tongue? Was she still alive but unable to fight back? I imagine this was a traumatic experience for him that will weigh upon him the rest of his life and so when we saw his emotion in the court upon seeing the jawbone in the light of day as Nikki said...I believe it affected him. Having to re-live the trauma.

I imagine it takes a bit of a while to kill somebody with a blade. Machete or what ever. Was her jawbone cut off and then the tongue? Was she still alive but unable to fight back? I imagine this was a traumatic experience for him that will weigh upon him the rest of his life and so when we saw his emotion in the court upon seeing the jawbone in the light of day as Nikki said...I believe it affected him. Having to re-live the trauma.

Interesting, PT. So you also believe SC's emotions, upon seeing the carnage in court, to be sincere. I give more weight to locals' postings since some of you either knew him to some degree, know key players and family members, and hear the word on the street. Maybe his reactions were authentic displays of horror, etc, but.......Charli's jaw was defleshed. Why? I can understand that if he was swinging a machete around, in the dark, that the first joints of fingers of one hand could be sliced off, maybe even the jaw and tongue (with the stud) or even possibly a nipple w/stud, but.......defleshing her jaw? And why keep
those parts, some consider to be identifiers, when the rest of the body is still missing? I'm sure he has relived that night many times it if he indeed was the one to mutilate Charli, but I can't quite swallow the sincerity of his emotions in court. To me it looked and felt like acting. JMO.

Thanks Nikki, and appreciate much you sharing from your background. I definitely am not interested in sticking on labels that don't fit, simply because they are popular.

on a side note, given your background, I wonder if you are familiar with the work of my godfather, Dr. Peter H. Wolff. He is very old now, but still working and writing in the pediatric psychiatry field.

I do not have any medical background at all. None. My focus in graduate school was psychoanalysis. I spent five years while in a Ph.D. Program participating in an interdisciplinary "working group" with teaching and practicing psychoanalysts from the San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute and Clinic and the Wright Institute in Berkeley doing cross-discipline work with U.C. Berkeley professors from various departments from sociol sciences and humanities. Our focus was object relations psychoanalytic theory (pioneered by Melanie Klein). My interest was very serious, but, as said, not a medical background.

I am seeking to understand Steven as he is, not to overlook behaviors in order to force a fit. That is a good point about his calmness. Scott Peterson's crime has many similarities. How did he behave? Kapua? You said you followed that one closely.

As far as not speculating on Steven's psyche and its twists, I don't see the harm in putting out thoughts on this any more than with speculating on what was meant by the skull painting. We do both spec and deduction here. Most importantly we are not influencing the jury. The jury should absolutely only hear from medical experts, if any. When we speculate and people rebut our ideas, that is part of how our perceptions evolve. To shut our thoughts down completely, as opposed to correcting and informing why, because we lack the proper degree so we should not have thoughts in that area, seems to me counter productive of learning, but that is MOO. :)

From the Maui News article dated Aug 13:

Scott's mother reported her missing the night of Feb. 10, 2014, after family members hadn't been able to contact her all day.

The next night, at about 9 or 9:30, after Gaines had received information that Scott's Toyota 4Runner may have been seen in Keanae, he said he drove there with Capobianco.

Here again is a reference to the non-specific information that AG had received (perhaps on FB?) that Charli's 4Runner may have been seen in Keanae on Sunday, Feb. 9. I hope that we will hear from upcoming testimony who gave AG that information and when. SC told Kurt Kaiser that his vehicle was in the parking lot of Mana Foods, unlocked, on Sunday Feb.9 and then told Brooke and Adam Gaines on Tuesday, Feb. 11 that he and Charli went in her car to Keanae to repair his vehicle which was on Hana Hwy. So why did he tell a different story to the police, Brooke and Adam on Tuesday? I'm again thinking that he thought someone had seen Charli's 4Runner, with it's distinctive skull grille lights in the Keanae area so he had to make up a story to explain his whereabouts. Now, if Adam received that information late Monday, or before the police went to SC's house on Tuesday, maybe Adam told SC, "Hey, I got this tip, let's go search in Keanae tomorrow". Or maybe SC saw a familiar vehicle on Hana Hwy. that night and knew he'd been spotted. And if he was indeed spotted by someone, maybe that other someone will testify.
This question of why he switched stories is crucial to me as well. I do not think that Adam would have received this on Monday though. At least, I haven't heard anything about Adam making search plans on Monday, or of anyone talking to Steven about Charli being missing as early as Monday. I realize he was asked at the Kaiser house if he had seen Charli, but I take that as a normal question, given she is having his baby and friends are wondering how that is going with them.

Also the quote makes it sound like Gaines got a tip in the evening on Tuesday. We have heard that Steven ended up at Kim's Haiku house after the Tuesday afternoon search. Wasn't Adam there as well? I picture Adam and Steven taking off after Adam gets a tip.

Then Adam and Steven must have come back to Haiku, because later, maybe 11:30 or so, the family got word about Nala, and Adam went to Nahiku with Fiona, but Steven was left behind, supposedly to go home. I've got to say, kudos to Adam for going out Hana Highway at least halfway to Hana three or more times on Tuesday.

That would be interesting indeed if Adam had tipped Steven off Monday night, but I don't see the evidence for it. I may have missed it?
I also don't think the police tried to trap him by insinuating he was seen. I don't know that, but I would base it on the police not treating him as a suspect on Tuesday morning. Because if they had asked him that question and not read him his rights, then that should have been raised in the motion to exclude that first interview.

I agree with you that something very likely happened to induce him to make up his unpremeditated story on the fly when Tuesday morning came. I just don't think we have that piece yet. fromtheladle did say there was info that someone saw Steven out there Sunday night in a vehicle not his own. But this has not come up in testimony so far. If he was seen, then maybe he saw someone seeing him. But then why not have the story ready Monday? I don't know, but it's possible that his concern that he was seen grew as time passed. Like at first he didn't think so, didn't want to think so, but it niggled at him until he decided he had been seen, and needed a reason to be out there before he was caught in the lie.

That is just spec. Also, if there really is someone who saw HIM driving HER car that night, and she was not seen in it, then that is huge and should have been revealed earlier. So I don't know what to think.

If they can prove without a doubt that SC is the one who torched her 4runner the jury will have a hard time thinking SC was not involved in the murder. You gotto wonder why he would torch it if he didn't murder her.
Agree totally. But can they prove it without a doubt? If so, why not lead earlier on with that evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech