Holiday and Winter Alternatives for Social Distancing Gatherings

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We had fairly close contact with my folks twice last week. Couldn't be helped. My step dad was fooling with the sump pump in the unfinished basement and couldn't get up. So the choice was the fire department or my husband to get him up. Then all of mom's computers and devices got screwed up and it was either me or a tech guy coming in. I am playing winter by ear, I guess. But we're still definitely not doing large in-person family gatherings.

The Los Angeles County (CA) Department of Public Health issued a new set of guidelines for celebrating Halloween this year, and haunted houses, carnivals, festivals, and live entertainment are out, while trick or treating is "not recommended."

Instead, they recommend online parties, "car parades," and themed drive-in movie nights, among a few other more socially distanced options.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/coronavirus/docs/community/GuidanceHalloween.pdf

LA issues Halloween guidelines; NYC cancels parade
Many places in South Jersey, near us, have opened for apple and pumpkin (and sunflower) picking, as well as continuing to host their various events such as barrel train rides through the apple orchards (my grandson recently did this for his first ride ever), hayrides and mazes. Many of them require advance ticket purchase so crowds can be limited and masks are required whenever you are in an inside area or close to others.

Our local fairgrounds are hosting a wine festival next weekend, featuring all the local South Jersey wineries...tastings and food trucks and music. Again- advance tickets required. Our gym is hosting a drive thru health fair, with all kinds of screenings and places to gather info about health related issues.

And best of all, one local farm, Creamy Acres, is renowned for its Night of Terror events and have started hiring actors for their haunted houses, corn mazes and haunted hayrides. Their FB page says they are opening for this weekends in October, and next weekend (Sept 26) they will open for their kids' pumpkin patches and hayrides. Fingers crossed - I so enjoy this time of the year and all the fall activities.

Caveat: We have no small children in our family, my only grandchild is 20 years old (and studying to be an undertaker- but that's an entirely different thread, isn't is?).

We are planning to revive a childhood tradition - neighborhood caroling. We stay in the yard/ off the porch- so plenty of distance. Carolers are only people in our small family group. And we're noting neighbors with Ring doorbell cameras and such to leave a recorded greeting if they are not home.

My youngest is a special education preschool teacher in a Title I (low income) school- so rather than gifts- we are pooling our Christmas money to purchase books for her kids. Last year, we were able to gift each child in her class five books to take home.

Caveat: We have no small children in our family, my only grandchild is 20 years old (and studying to be an undertaker- but that's an entirely different thread, isn't is?).

We are planning to revive a childhood tradition - neighborhood caroling. We stay in the yard/ off the porch- so plenty of distance. Carolers are only people in our small family group. And we're noting neighbors with Ring doorbell cameras and such to leave a recorded greeting if they are not home.

My youngest is a special education preschool teacher in a Title I (low income) school- so rather than gifts- we are pooling our Christmas money to purchase books for her kids. Last year, we were able to gift each child in her class five books to take home.
This is awesome!

Halloween activities, such as trick-or-treating and costume masks, discouraged by the US CDC this year

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued its first guidance for the holidays, including Halloween, while the coronavirus pandemic rages on. Most traditional activities for Halloween, such as door-to-door trick-or-treating and costume parties, are discouraged this year due to the pandemic, the CDC said in a new posting on its website.

The new guidance lists “low-risk, moderate and higher risk activities” for celebrating All Hallow’s Eve.

Low risk activities include: carving pumpkins and decorating your home, outdoor scavenger hunts, virtual costume contests and hosting a movie night with household members.

Moderate risk things to do include: so-called “one-way trick-or-treating” by exchanging goody bags placed at the end of a driveway or the edge of a yard, having a small group outside for an “open-air costume parade” where participants are at least 6-feet apart or attending an outdoor costume party where masks are worn and people social distance.

Higher risk activities the CDC is urging against include: door-to-door trick-or-treating, attending crowded, indoor costume parties, visiting indoor haunted houses or going on hayrides or tractor rides with strangers.

The agency is also discouraging: the use of costume masks this year, saying they are not a substitute for cloth masks. It is also warning against wearing a costume mask over a protective cloth, pointing out it’s dangerous because it might make it hard to breath.

The annual New York Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop will be virtual this year.

Organizers say it will be a “virtually enhanced celebration,” though added there would be some small, scaled-back live events using social distancing associated with it.

Times Square New Year's Eve Ball Drop Will Be Virtual

Television has come a long way from the old "sound tracks" to give involvement to the viewers (e.g. the Emmy Awards and last night's The Masked Singer". )

It will be interesting how creative they will be MOO

Boredom prompts half of Americans to start holiday shopping early, study claims

According to a new study, nearly half of Americans have already begun shopping online for the holidays, Southwest News Service (SWNS) reports. And the reason is simple: People are bored. With the coronavirus pandemic disrupting daily life, limiting travel and forcing folks to work from home, a significant chunk of the population is planning on being more productive as we head into the holiday season.

snip

The study also revealed other ways that the pandemic had impacted the upcoming holiday season. According to the survey, 41% of respondents had previously planned on traveling over the holidays but had either canceled their plans or decided not to make them. On the other hand, a small percentage stated that not only did they plan on traveling this year, they planned on spending more on travel than they normally would.

It is so sad for me to talk to my kids, one daughter in college. That is supposed to be a fun time, meeting new people, enjoying new experiences. She hunkers in her room all day, scurries out to get food, and take it back quickly to her room. No one is allowed to eat in the dining hall. The library is closed. No study groups, no parties, no church.

I don't mind at my age, having to "Social Distance" and wear a mask. But my heart just breaks for young adults, teens, and kids.

It is so sad for me to talk to my kids, one daughter in college. That is supposed to be a fun time, meeting new people, enjoying new experiences. She hunkers in her room all day, scurries out to get food, and take it back quickly to her room. No one is allowed to eat in the dining hall. The library is closed. No study groups, no parties, no church.

I don't mind at my age, having to "Social Distance" and wear a mask. But my heart just breaks for young adults, teens, and kids.
Me too. I’ve been isolating for 3+ years. It’s not a big deal for me.

My oldest lives in an area with lots of retirees, not a lot of 20 somethings. She’s been there for 18 months and is still trying to meet young adults. Now she has to work from home. One day last week she went to the office to print something and stayed for 8 hours. I think it was just to get out of the house.

I’ve put her in charge of Tday this year. She’s 27 and she’s ready. Most likely it will be the 3 of us.

Last edited:
My family is doing the holidays virtually but I know my boss will be getting together with his family- 18 people. So I've scheduled time off the week after T-day so I can avoid him. Yup. I'm using my vacation days this year to avoid people who are not taking care and may be incubating the virus.

My family is doing the holidays virtually but I know my boss will be getting together with his family- 18 people. So I've scheduled time off the week after T-day so I can avoid him. Yup. I'm using my vacation days this year to avoid people who are not taking care and may be incubating the virus.
Smart choice! I'd rather have a boring staycation than C-19!

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time when many families travel long distances to celebrate together. Travel increases the chance of getting and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others. If you must travel, be informed of the risks involved...

I'm curious if anyone who normally decorates, puts up a tree and has a family gathering for Christmas is reluctant to decorate if the family can't come this year? I probably will but at times I feel like, why go to all that work. At other times I'm determined not to let this virus take away anything I can still hang on to.

I'm curious if anyone who normally decorates, puts up a tree and has a family gathering for Christmas is reluctant to decorate if the family can't come this year? I probably will but at times I feel like, why go to all that work. At other times I'm determined not to let this virus take away anything I can still hang on to.
I had shared custody when my kids were younger and even when the visitation stopped, on the years they were not with me, I did not put up a tree or cook a big meal. When they returned, we did gifts but nothing elaborate. At that point, they were tired of the holiday menu. I would make lasagna or something nontraditional that they liked. I didn't care enough about decorating to do all the work involved.

I probably will put up a tree. We have to force cheerfulness at Christmas. Our dog died 5 years ago, a few weeks before Christmas. And we were in such a deep grief. I couldn't decorate that year. And the gloom, starts at Thanksgiving, remembering Jazz. I have to make an effort to make some sort of holiday cheer. Otherwise, we just sink into a huge depression.

No more dogs. Just cats now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back