Holiday and Winter Alternatives for Social Distancing Gatherings

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had shared custody when my kids were younger and even when the visitation stopped, on the years they were not with me, I did not put up a tree or cook a big meal. When they returned, we did gifts but nothing elaborate. At that point, they were tired of the holiday menu. I would make lasagna or something nontraditional that they liked. I didn't care enough about decorating to do all the work involved.
If it was just me I probably wouldn't bother but I think hubby will be more depressed if we don't at least have a tree.

I probably will put up a tree. We have to force cheerfulness at Christmas. Our dog died 5 years ago, a few weeks before Christmas. And we were in such a deep grief. I couldn't decorate that year. And the gloom, starts at Thanksgiving, remembering Jazz. I have to make an effort to make some sort of holiday cheer. Otherwise, we just sink into a huge depression.

No more dogs. Just cats now.
I totally get the grief for years. Today happens to be the 5th anniversary of our mini schnauzer Lili passing over the rainbow bridge. She popped up on my Facebook memories and it was just so hard not to tear up. She was the best dog.

While she was not intended to be an emotional support animal, she ended up bonding with my youngest who has disabilities. This dog literally alerted and helped me keep my child healthy and safe by letting me know when to check on her. They leave such a huge hole in our hearts.
upload_2020-10-1_19-27-47.png

Haven’t had a family Christmas at my place in probably 15-18 years. It’s always at another family members house. I think a Christmas tree without presents is depressing. So I haven’t put one up in years.
I have lots of decorations and will do a wreath or decorate a tree outside.
I rather just hibernate until January!

I totally get the grief for years. Today happens to be the 5th anniversary of our mini schnauzer Lili passing over the rainbow bridge. She popped up on my Facebook memories and it was just so hard not to tear up. She was the best dog.

While she was not intended to be an emotional support animal, she ended up bonding with my youngest who has disabilities. This dog literally alerted and helped me keep my child healthy and safe by letting me know when to check on her. They leave such a huge hole in our hearts.
View attachment 266343

Some dogs, live larger than life. They don't live long enough. Sorry for your loss. He is waiting for you on the Rainbow Bridge, maybe with Jazz.

Okay. Maybe I should decorate today. o_O

No Halloween this year, either.

Not downsizing to a smaller house and living in the South with a couple acres is a blessing right now. I can keep 6ft easily between people, no matter how many of my kids and wives and bonus kids and "friends" show up. Most work holidays so it is always staggered. I feel for the little kids this Halloween. Glad mine are grown.

We have a portable big torch heater, 3 season porch and fire pit if necessary

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone who normally decorates, puts up a tree and has a family gathering for Christmas is reluctant to decorate if the family can't come this year? I probably will but at times I feel like, why go to all that work. At other times I'm determined not to let this virus take away anything I can still hang on to.
I have my Granny's little tree. She's been gone a decade but I always put it up even if I don't get around to putting the big tree up. As we are doing virtual, we will do our part in front of that tree so that she is with us. In some ways, she's still the glue that holds us together.

My husband has told me in past years that he didn't think he cared if we decorated, but then felt good about it after I had done it. I think it can lift spirits.

My husband is Mr. Christmas with his crazy ginormous tree many here have seen pictures of over the years. Nothing will stop him from putting it and the lights outside up.

I'm curious if anyone who normally decorates, puts up a tree and has a family gathering for Christmas is reluctant to decorate if the family can't come this year? I probably will but at times I feel like, why go to all that work. At other times I'm determined not to let this virus take away anything I can still hang on to.

I'm going to put one up. Begrudgingly. :)

I'm dreading the holidays more than usual this year. My side of the family is so small, we will do what we always do.

But the concept I'm sitting in a basement with 30 or 40 people yelling over each other for hours is a joke.

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but many, if not most, of us are probably going to be staying at home this holiday season. As the virus continues to wreak havoc on our country, we will be forced to stay indoors and limit outings to only those that are absolutely necessary: grocery shopping, medical/dental appointments, picking up carry-out meals, etc. I enjoy the many holiday movies that are featured on Hallmark Channel/s, Lifetime/LMN, AMC, among others. Some of the Christmas movies are starting as early as October 23. Some channels will offer holiday programming 24/7 from late October through early January. This year, we all need a little Christmas more than we have in a very long time. I'm actually looking forward to Christmas movie season on TV :)

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but many, if not most, of us are probably going to be staying at home this holiday season. As the virus continues to wreak havoc on our country, we will be forced to stay indoors and limit outings to only those that are absolutely necessary: grocery shopping, medical/dental appointments, picking up carry-out meals, etc. I enjoy the many holiday movies that are featured on Hallmark Channel/s, Lifetime/LMN, AMC, among others. Some of the Christmas movies are starting as early as October 23. Some channels will offer holiday programming 24/7 from late October through early January. This year, we all need a little Christmas more than we have in a very long time. I'm actually looking forward to Christmas movie season on TV :)

The irony is that when the Pandemic started, March, I realized that we were going to be home a whole lot more. So, we upgraded our TV, a new 60", new surround sound system, new furniture. We also added several new channels, Starz, HBO, a bunch of others.

I remodeled our former guest room (no more guests), turned it into my yoga studio/gym/home office.

So, we are set for Christmas movies! Make your place "pimp", cause you spend a lot of time at home now.

The irony is that when the Pandemic started, March, I realized that we were going to be home a whole lot more. So, we upgraded our TV, a new 60", new surround sound system, new furniture. We also added several new channels, Starz, HBO, a bunch of others.

I remodeled our former guest room (no more guests), turned it into my yoga studio/gym/home office.

So, we are set for Christmas movies! Make your place "pimp", cause you spend a lot of time at home now.

Sounds like you've got it made :) Just add cozy flannel pajamas, comfy slippers, a fleecy throw, a pot of tea or hot chocolate, and you're ready for a holiday movie marathon. Do you have a fireplace? That would make the experience even better. I sense there will be a lot of "pajama days" as we hunker down for a covid winter.

Sounds like you've got it made :) Just add cozy flannel pajamas, comfy slippers, a fleecy throw, a pot of tea or hot chocolate, and you're ready for a holiday movie marathon. Do you have a fireplace? That would make the experience even better. I sense there will be a lot of "pajama days" as we hunker down for a covid winter.

No fireplace. We sold our house several years ago. I haven't regretted it, until this year. I read that real estate market is really moving, because people are moving out of large cities, and they are also buying larger homes. Probably because if everyone is at home, doing school, work, they need more space. The link below is about the housing market.

Get Access

No fireplace. We sold our house several years ago. I haven't regretted it, until this year. I read that real estate market is really moving, because people are moving out of large cities, and they are also buying larger homes. Probably because if everyone is at home, doing school, work, they need more space. The link below is about the housing market.

Get Access
I've noticed an uptick in real estate brochures in my mail and voice mails on my phone. I have a 2 bedroom 1 bath 900 square foot cottage on 1/4 acre in SWFL. Apparently, my little hut is a hot commodity. LOL!

My girls have decided we're doing the holidays here and they're taking charge. I have no desire to do anything for the holidays. At least Christmas falls on a Friday this year.

My boss has ordered hundreds of Christmas movies for the library, including the Hallmark ones. If any of you don’t have access to cable, don’t forget your library probably has these.

I've noticed an uptick in real estate brochures in my mail and voice mails on my phone. I have a 2 bedroom 1 bath 900 square foot cottage on 1/4 acre in SWFL. Apparently, my little hut is a hot commodity. LOL!

My girls have decided we're doing the holidays here and they're taking charge. I have no desire to do anything for the holidays. At least Christmas falls on a Friday this year.
Same for me. I have about the same size little condo a block from the beach at the Jersey Shore and for many years leading up to this one, I owed more on the mortgage than I could have sold it for..(I bought it in 2004, right before the bottom fell out in real estate value). Now I get daily text messages telling me there are multiple people looking to buy, and even people walking by asking if any units are for sale. I have friends who sold in another beach town for thousands more this year than they could have even last summer.

It's not a place to spend the holidays though as it closes between mid-November and early March.. Still trying to figure out the holiday season with my kids, my grandkids, my mom...It's a little bit heartbreaking.

Holiday but not gathering related
Walmart Black Friday 2020: 3 November sale events planned

Although this year’s event looks different, our commitment to what our customers depend on us for – the absolute best prices of the season on hot gifts from top brands – hasn’t changed,” said Scott McCall, executive vice president and chief merchandising officer for Walmart U.S., said. “I’m really excited that this year, when it matters most to our customers, we’re offering them more convenient and safer ways to shop Black Friday at Walmart, whether that’s from the shelf in one of our stores, ordering online and picking it up curbside or having it delivered right to their front door.”

The sales will be broken into three parts:

Event No. 1

Event 1 begins online Nov. 4 with new deals in stores Nov. 7.

The sale will start online at Walmart.comon Wednesday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m. ET, with deals including onn. brand 42-inch UHD Roku TV for only $88 and Hotel Style bath towels for $5.

In-store deals will start Saturday, Nov. 7 at 5 a.m. local time with items like the Magic Bullet Blender available for $15 and a New Bright 1:6 scale RC Truck for $40. New deals will also go live at Walmart.com on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 12 a.m. ET.

Also, Walmart will also hold its annual Tire Event in-stores and online Nov. 7-13 where customers will receive $20 off per tire and free lifetime balance service from its Walmart Auto Care Centers for all modular Goodyear branded tires.

Event No. 2

Deals begin online Nov. 11 with new deals in stores Nov. 14.

The second event will offer deals on electronics, like TVs, computers and tablets. Savings on movies, music and items in apparel, hardlines, home and more will also be available.

Deals will begin online at Walmart.com on Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. ET with new deals at Walmart.com on Saturday, Nov. 14 at 12 a.m. ET and in stores starting at 5 a.m. local time.

Walmart will also host its biggest wireless phone event ever in-stores and online on Saturday, Nov. 14 with deals on iPhones and Samsung phones.

Event No. 3

Deals for event No. 3 begin online Nov. 25 with new deals in stores on Nov. 27. The deals will include electronics, toys and gifts from apparent and homes and seasonal décor.

Deals will first be offered at Walmart.comon Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 7 p.m. ET. New deals will be available at Walmart.com at 12 a.m. ET and in stores at 5 a.m. local time on Friday, Nov. 27.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back