Identified! Holland - Male, size 48 jeans, sailing yacht(‘1 HB)Den Helder, 16 Jul 1995 - Hans (Surname withheld)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good thoughts. It could also be that the watch strap closure wasn't working properly anymore and he used the string for safety when it came of?? If it was to big and it slides down it would be in this direction.

View attachment 259996

View attachment 259997

Does it still fit the pattern? I tried to figger it out put it's so hard to see. Somehow it looks turned.....

Yes I think you’re tight about the orientation...although there is not much to tell us just where that “tattoo/bruise/imprint” mark is exactly & it’s orientation on his body.

I think I’m seeing the skin fold between the thumb & hand at the left of the photo....however we don’t know if that photo taken in situ or whether the ‘tattoo mark’ was excised to be preserved.
We just don’t have much info.

Also, if the watch was loose & the man’s hand was lying beneath the weight of his body, possibly moving a little with each wave, the imprint might be exaggerated or skewed.

I think with that type of strap there is some flexibility, though am not sure of this.

Rbsbm.
This post?
DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match."]DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match

Yes, thank you...I couldn't find it, forget the name....
Yes I think you’re tight about the orientation...although there is not much to tell us just where that “tattoo/bruise/imprint” mark is exactly & it’s orientation on his body.

I think I’m seeing the skin fold between the thumb & hand at the left of the photo....however we don’t know if that photo taken in situ or whether the ‘tattoo mark’ was excised to be preserved.
We just don’t have much info.

Also, if the watch was loose & the man’s hand was lying beneath the weight of his body, possibly moving a little with each wave, the imprint might be exaggerated or skewed.

I think with that type of strap there is some flexibility, though am not sure of this.

The "bruise" is on the left hand. "Possible he has a tattoo on the upper-side of his left hand" Den Helder, Razende Bol | politie.nl You see the opening between ring finger and pinkie on the left. I wonder if there is something to see if you fill in the white squares.

Ah...left hand...thank you...picture now makes sense.

Incidentally, my father & I, both left-handed, would always wear a watch with the face on the inside of the wrist....easier to glance at.

I don’t know if this is peculiar to us ( a family trait) or if this is common in left-handed people? Can any left-handed readers chip in?

He has been identified!

News article in Dutch: Aangespoelde zeiler na 25 jaar geïdentificeerd als Zweedse man | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

He was a 59 year old sailer named Hans from Sundsvall, Sweden.

This summer the police spread a message through Swedish media, because the watch was made for the Swedish market, and also the pants indicated a Swedish origin.
A woman recognized her uncle in the story and a DNA match was made with his children.

The mans daughters are happy that they no longer live in uncertainty about what happened to their father, why he didn't react to their reaching out for contact.
Because of circumstances they never reported him missing.

He has been identified!

News article in Dutch: Aangespoelde zeiler na 25 jaar geïdentificeerd als Zweedse man | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

This summer the police spread a message through Swedish media, because the watch was made for the Swedish market, and also the pants indicated a Swedish origin.
A woman recognized her uncle in the story and a DNA match was made with his children.

The mans daughters are happy that they no longer live in uncertainty about what happened to their father, why he didn't react to their reaching out for contact.

Wow! That is wonderful news. RIP Hans. Condolences to his loved ones. He was probably doing what he loved most went he passed, maybe that gives a little comfort.

@dutchhelp did you find an article about it in MSM? We can use this to "proof" his identification and change the header to identified, notifying the mods.

Last edited:
More extensive article from the Dutch police (in Dutch)
boot-moet-naamsverwijzing-bij-albert-vermeulen.jpg

(picture by Albert Vermeulen)
fran-1991.jpg

(picture from family of Hans)

The family wish no contact with the media as such only the first name (Hans) is disclosed

Found it.
Dode zeezeiler na 25 jaar geïdentificeerd

Dead sea sailor identified after 25 years
A dead sailor whose lifeless body was found on the Razende Bol sandbank in July 1995 has been identified after 25 years.

The man's two daughters responded happy, grateful and emotional to the final message that their father had been identified, said police officer John Welzenbagh, who spent six years on the investigation. "All these years they have lived in uncertainty with the question of what happened to their father, why he no longer responded to contact requests. Due to circumstances they have not reported their father missing in Sweden," said Welzenbagh. Due to the corona measures, the daughters are considering coming to the Netherlands in the spring and bringing their father home.

I did notify the mods.

He has been identified!

Wonderful news.....!!

I sent a tip in to the Dutch police mid-August suggesting the name of a Swedish family/company who had connections to the Herne Bay area.

I wonder.........??!

Oh my goodness......just found a connection........!
I might be on to something very significant here!

Watch this space.....!

Probably a total coincidence......but nice to imagine my tip may have helped in some way.

If the family I thought it could be....I can understand why they don’t want his full name released

I wonder when he was identified? Can’t see that info on the Dutch article.

Probably a total coincidence......but nice to imagine my tip may have helped in some way.

If the family I thought it could be....I can understand why they don’t want his full name released

I wonder when he was identified? Can’t see that info on the Dutch article.

They don't state an exact when.
They do state how they arrived at Hans as a potential match in the police article:
"In the summer of 2020 the communications department of the police North Holland spread a press release among Swedish media. This was done because the watch that the man was wearing was specially destined for Sweden also the label in his pants was of Swedish origin. The press release was shared with over 50 papers. Efterlyst, a television show about missing and other police requests, was also contacted to again pay attention to the anonymous sea sailor. The news paper piece [sic] resulted in a reaction from a woman, who recognized her uncle in the story of the unknown deceased. She e-mailed the research team, after which the, by now adult, children from the man she thought to be the sailor. After DNA-comparison it could be determined that the deceased male was Hans from the Swedish Sundsvall. He was 59 years old in 1995"

Beached sailor identified as Swedish man after 25 years | NOW - World Today News
''The body was found on July 16, 1995 on the uninhabited sandbar between Den Helder and Texel. The man’s boat also washed up on it.''
aangespoelde-zeiler-na-25-jaar-geidentificeerd-als-zweedse-man.jpg

rbbm.
Sleepless night leads to identification of sailor drowned 25 years ago - DutchNews.nl
''A sleepless night in Sweden has led to the identification of a man whose body washed up on the small island of Razende Bol between Texel and Den Helder in 1995, the Telegraaf reports. DNA evidence has shown that the man, who was dubbed ‘the sailor of the Razende Bol’, is 59-year-old ‘Hans’ from Sundsvall in Sweden.''

''Earlier attempts to find the man, who had not been reported missing, via Swedish crime show Efterlyst did not yield any results. This summer police decided to reopen the case and sent press releases to numerous Swedish papers. A woman who couldn’t sleep came upon the article in one, and read about a man who had, with little money and much creativity, built himself a yacht. ‘She thought: that could well be my uncle,’ maritime police officer John Welzenbach told the Telegraaf.
‘Apparently he was always an enterprising man and she knew he had gone missing after going on a sailing trip in 1995.’ The woman contacted Welzenbach directly and put him on the trail of her two nieces. They told him that their father had written to them after he left to say he had gone to Germany and Denmark. After that, all contact ceased and attempts to find out if he had renewed his passport came to nought. It is not known why the girls never reported their father missing.''

''Wenzenbach said it was important for people to contribute DNA to the maritime police DNA bank if they have relatives who were lost at sea. ‘We are finding a lot of skulls and bones in the North Sea, some of which belong to people who drowned in the last 100 years. That means we can still find their relatives via DNA,’ he said.''

So the woman knew her uncle had gone missing following a sailing trip in 1995.....presumably his daughters also knew.

Strange they didn’t report him missing...but we don’t know the family circumstances...I’m not judging them...he may have walked out of their lives & they presumed he didn’t want contact.

It’s great that the family shared a picture of Hans & are possibly going to bring him home to Sweden.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back