Hope Sykes arrested 1/20/2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Howdy doody...15 year mand. mininum sentence. They played the tape of her with her Momma and said it showed no remorse. Well...

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23277023/detail.html

snip~Hope Sykes, a cousin of Ronald Cummings, received a minimum mandatory sentence of 15 years in prison after pleading no contest to a drug trafficking charge. She also faces $250,000 in fines.

The prosecution played an audio recording in court of a jail conversation Sykes had with her mother. They claimed it proved her lack of remorse for the crime.

Sykes was among five people, including Ronald and Misty Cummings, Hank Croslin Jr., and Donna Broch, who were arrested in January on the drug charges resulting from a month-long undercover investigation in Putnam County.~ end

Played a phone conversation showing lack of remorse .... holy cow, guess Misty and Tommy and Ron can all forget about their dreams of 3 years, or boot camp or whatever.

Bet this will stir up the hornets nest a bit for sure.

Thanks for the links - you too SWAG !!!

This one talks about RC:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/...Cummings-cousin-gets-15-years-for-trafficking

Ronald Cummings, her cousin, was on the witness list and was in the courtroom on Tuesday. But he was not called to testify.

So, she got 15 years. WOW - think they are sending their message? She was only charged with ONE count! And RC got to witness the whole thang.

I think it would be pretty safe to say this was done intentionally! Kudos again to LE & the court for making RC there to witness the sentencing.
Does anyone know what the 'parole' time is? Hope it's not too lenient.

Hope MC hears this info soon! I feel another letter to the governor coming on!

JMO

above it says she plead no contest.....how come the court docket says entered a plea of not guilty?

I think the no contest is the same as not guilty. When there is so much overwhelming evidence the no contest isn't an admission of guilt but truly no difference between that and a guilty plea..

What does the "no contest" plea mean?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•A: There are three possible pleas to a criminal charge- guilty, not guilty and "nolo contendere" or "no contest." A plea of "no contest" means you don't contest the charges against you. While a "no contest" plea isn't an admission of guilt, it does allow the court to impose a sentence on you. In practical effect, there's no significant difference between a "no contest" plea and a guilty plea.

Why would you want to plead "no contest" instead of "guilty?" If you don't agree that you're guilty, but you believe a judge or jury might find you guilty anyway, you may not want to risk going to trial. In this situation, you may want to plead "no contest" to the charge, or to a lesser charge, because it'll resolve the case without a trial and won't require you to admit your guilt.

Like a guilty plea, a "no contest" plea waives important constitutional rights, including the right to trial by jury and to confront the witnesses against you. And unless there's some sort of agreement for a deferred adjudication, the court may sentence you on a "no contest" plea as if you pleaded guilty, and you'll have a record of conviction.
http://criminal.lawyers.com/Criminal-Law--Procedure-FAQ.html

Me to, Ron is going to be one of her character witness. I would love to see and hear what he has to say. I can't believe there is not even one media outlet covering the story from the inside. :banghead:

Do they ever ask for a character witness for a character witness? I just don't see how they could possibly, take HIS word for it!

I wonder if Hope got to ride in the car with Ronald again? She was soooo excited about that last time.

Please God....let us WS members have access to the tape of the next phone call Hope makes from within her prison walls.... Amen

Too funny...LOL. I'll join in that prayer with ya!

15 years? Wowza!

I haven't the experience to know if this is harsh or normal. Nor do I know what possibility for parole would be. Anyone?

Hope is a Cummings. But is this a message to the Cummings family, or just a message to all involved in the bust?

Not that a judge for one trial can necessarily give a message to future juries for another, but ... certainly Hope's circumstances are the same as those involved in her particular drug bust.

Weren't both Ronald and Misty in the car for Hope's crime-on-tape?... And didn't Hope have less "leadership" than the others? (I can't say 4 sure (I'm at werk, little time to sneak a peek here...) - were these pills that Hope got from her source, rather than Misty getting them?)

*shudder* She's just a young girl. Such a waste of a life.

I think the no contest is the same as not guilty. When there is so much overwhelming evidence the no contest isn't an admission of guilt but truly no difference between that and a guilty plea..

Thanks, LLL. I have to wonder if Hope was under the mistaken impression that she would only receive a slap on the wrist by pleading 'No contest'.

Hope is a recidivist. This wasn't her first time to the court rodeo. That statement about being worse when she gets out........well, I believe her.

Just getting caught up (vacation this week) on all the cases here at WS....so help me please...were these state or federal charges???

Where will she do her time?

Cummings' Relative Sentenced In Drug Case
Hope Sykes Gets 15 Years In Prison On Drug Trafficking Charge

"Snip" http://www.news4jax.com/news/23277023/detail.html
UPDATED: 11:42 am EDT April 27, 2010

PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. -- Hope Sykes received a minimum mandatory sentence of 15 years in prison after pleading no contest to a drug trafficking charge. She also faces $250,000 in fines.

Sykes was among 5 people, including Ronald and Misty , Hank Croslin Jr., and Donna Brock, arrested in January on the drug charges.

If convicted, Ronald and Misty Cummings could receive a minimum mandatory sentence of 25 years in prison. Hank Croslin, if convicted, could face a minimum sentence of three to 15 years in prison.

Investigators said, that Haleigh is likely dead, the investigation has gone from a missing persons case to a homicide investigation.

Investigators searched a St. Johns River boat ramp and found two cinder blocks, according to sources. They are waiting for the forensic evidence to be processed. Hank Croslin's attorney said it was Croslin's tip that led investigators to search the river. Misty Cummings was also seen at the dock being questioned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel_008
Back