Huckaby defense seeks second Sandra Cantu autopsy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Disagree. If the defense's expert, Dr. Terri Haddix thinks information could still be ascertained from the body then I think her 10+ years of experience in this field holds more weight.
You are welcome to disagree, but it was stated in their request for the exhumation that decomp was an immediate problem which would only deteriorate further with time. I guess the expert and I agree on this issue.

The best evidence will come from the ME who had access to the body first before more decomp took place. It is not a theory. It is a fact.

We don't know if the kidnapping charge is warranted as we don't know where death occurred. If death occurred at Melissa's home and it was an accident then transporting the body to the church does not construe kidnapping. LE believes death occurred at the church but we have yet to see what evidence they have to support this claim. It also cannot be ascertained whether or not SC was confined in any way prior to death which would also negate any kidnapping charges.

We don't even know if the rape was posthumous or postmortem. Again this has bearing on whether or not death occurred during the act of a felony. Again this could have a direct impact on an accidental death or one that was premeditated or caused in the act of a felony. Needless to say the differences have a tremendous effect on conviction and sentencing. We just don't know enough to reach any definite conclusions yet. Speculative ones yes, definite ones no.

LE believed they had enough evidence and charged her. How reliable, concrete and irrefutable it is has yet to be seen. I believe SC's death may very well have been an accident with with everything else being part of the cover up. It's been my gut since she was arrested. Like everyone else, I too must wait to find out the truth.

If an accident, why not call 911. It seems like a lot of work just to cover up an accident.

We don't know if the kidnapping charge is warranted as we don't know where death occurred. If death occurred at Melissa's home and it was an accident then transporting the body to the church does not construe kidnapping. LE believes death occurred at the church but we have yet to see what evidence they have to support this claim. It also cannot be ascertained whether or not SC was confined in any way prior to death which would also negate any kidnapping charges.

We don't even know if the rape was posthumous or postmortem. Again this has bearing on whether or not death occurred during the act of a felony. Again this could have a direct impact on an accidental death or one that was premeditated or caused in the act of a felony. Needless to say the differences have a tremendous effect on conviction and sentencing. We just don't know enough to reach any definite conclusions yet. Speculative ones yes, definite ones no.

LE believed they had enough evidence and charged her. How reliable, concrete and irrefutable it is has yet to be seen. I believe SC's death may very well have been an accident with with everything else being part of the cover up. It's been my gut since she was arrested. Like everyone else, I too must wait to find out the truth.

Bolded by me:

This seems to be a huge deal with you. In my opinion, I don't care when she was raped. She was. That's all that matters to me. She was raped and the evidence at this time is pointing to Melissa. I don't care if she raped her to cover up an accident. It's still sick and she needs to be puinshed for a very long time. IMO

Bolded by me:

Do you seriously think that she is being railroaded with trumped up charges? If so, why wouldn't they have just charged one of the sex offenders living there? That would have been easier to believe.

No not railroaded but it is very common for LE to tack on extra charges in case the initial charge is somehow disproved, weakened or if the evidence is not rock solid. They may in fact have irrefutable evidence for all charges or they may not, I just don't know. It's harder to break three pencils together than just one...

Of course this is all just theory, I'm just as anxious as you are to learn the whole truth.

Here is an interesting ABC video report on Melissa Huckaby and the subject of Woman Killers which aired on April 14th. In it is an interview with a Dr. Michael Welner from the NYU School of Medicine that reveals a more objective approach to the issues. You may have already seen it but if not you might find it interesting. I posted the link in another thread but here it is again: "Woman Who Kill"

Personally, I feel that in order for the truth to brought to light, victims have to be willing to revictimize themselves, either spiritually, like a rape victim having to repeat their testimony over and over again to people who are trying to tear it apart, or physically, like Sandra's body being submitted for another autopsy, in order for all the evidence to be discovered.

Also, in order to convict criminals based on evidence and not the wild emotional need to punish someone when the unimaginable happens, both the defense and the prosecution need to be able to conduct their own investigation. Someone earlier in the thread posted an account of an incompetent medical examiner. It happens. Prosecutors and LE are human; they're not immune to bias and corruption. To ensure that criminals are convicted on the correct charges, evidence, i.e. the body, needs to be looked at from both sides.

Amen. I couldn't agree more.

No not railroaded but it is very common for LE to tack on extra charges in case the initial charge is somehow disproved, weakened or if the evidence is not rock solid. They may in fact have irrefutable evidence for all charges or they may not, I just don't know. It's harder to break three pencils together than just one...

Of course this is all just theory, I'm just as anxious as you are to learn the whole truth.

Here is an interesting ABC video report on Melissa Huckaby and the subject of Woman Killers which aired on April 14th. In it is an interview with a Dr. Michael Welner from the NYU School of Medicine that reveals a more objective approach to the issues. You may have already seen it but if not you might find it interesting. I posted the link in another thread but here it is again: "Woman Who Kill"

You are correct police often tack on extra charges. I don't believe they would have charged MH with rape with a foreign object if they didn't have the evidence to prove it. I don't believe that they would put Sandra's family through that. IMO

Under California law the victim does not have to be transported a defined distance while alive to qualify for kidnapping, all that has to happen is the victim is kept from leaving freely and moved. Ref. California Penal Code 207-210. Huckabee has been charged under 207(a): (bold mine)

For instance, the street that runs in front of MH's house and a room inside her house would be different parts of the same county. Would this be enough distance to constitute kidnapping? Well, assuming this goes before a judge and jury that is what they will have to decide based on the facts of this case and this case alone.

Yes yes I am aware of this which is why I mentioned the fact that Sandra may not have been transported and/or detained at all before her death. The kidnapping charges may be speculative and hinging on the fact that LE believes death occurred at the church -which would mean of course that she was brought there while alive.

You are correct police often tack on extra charges. I don't believe they would have charged MH with rape with a foreign object if they didn't have the evidence to prove it. I don't believe that they would put Sandra's family through that. IMO

They (LE) are under a tremendous amount of pressure from the community to not only find the person(s) responsible but also to make the charges stick. Under this kind of pressure they may be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at her in the hope that something lands. Not saying this is what they're doing but it is plausible.

LE knows the location of the death... :waitasec:hmmm I bet that is why they have charged her with kidnapping?

Yes yes I am aware of this which is why I mentioned the fact that Sandra may not have been transported and/or detained at all before her death. The kidnapping charges may be speculative and hinging on the fact that LE believes death occurred at the church -which would mean of course that she was brought there while alive.

Yes, but at some point I'm sure Sandra wanted to leave and was prevented from doing so.

There will be no argument if the rape occurred before or after death. The evidence will be very clear. Rape by Instrumentation (foreign object) would produce inflammation if the rape occurred before death and none would be present after death. There are other obvious factors which can determine this, too. It won't be in question in court, imo.

They (LE) are under a tremendous amount of pressure from the community to not only find the person(s) responsible but also to make the charges stick. Under this kind of pressure they may be throwing everything including the kitchen sink at her in the hope that something lands. Not saying this is what they're doing but it is plausible.

If that is what they are doing it would have been more plausible to go after one of the sex offenders living there. IMO

There will be no argument if the rape occurred before or after death. The evidence will be very clear. Rape by Instrumentation (foreign object) would produce inflammation if the rape occurred before death and none would be present after death. There are other obvious factors which can determine this, too. It won't be in question in court, imo.

It may be if the second autopsy is granted and new revelations are found.

Mellisa may have been more convenient.

Really? More convenient than a sex offender being charged with a rape and murder of a child. A sunday school teacher and Mother of a small daughter was more convienent that a sex offender? Do you really believe that?

Speculative at best. She may have been content were she was right up until the moment of death.

Yes. Quite possibly - especially if drugs were involved (as the rumors of a previous drugging and which the police are not outright denying).

I, for one, am awaiting the toxicology results. I expect it to yield something of significance. JMO

Melissa may have been more convenient.
The investigators themselves, when first confronted with the evidence that pointed to Huckaby, were inclined to look for another suspect.

"When investigators were first looking at this they went 'Huh, no way... Who did she work with?'" Sheneman said. "We got that info and said 'there's no way, that doesn't happen.'"

"After this case, I'll never say never again," Sheneman said, adding that police remain confident that Huckaby acted alone.
http://www.tracypress.com/pages/ful...widget=push&instance=home_news_bullets&open=&

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back