Hunter Biden indicted, federal gun charges, Sept 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bob would be free to negotiate a plea deal as well. Can you give an example of someone facing the same charges being treated differently?
"Rapper Kodak Black’s lawyer on Tuesday slammed the Justice Department for allowing Hunter Biden to plead guilty to federal tax and firearms charges in a deal that’s expected to carry no prison time and leave the first son’s record free of felony convictions. Bradford Cohen, Black’s Florida-based attorney, decried Hunter’s apparent slap on the wrist, alluding to “2 tiers of justice” which he claims led his client to be sentenced to 46 months in prison for the same crime that President Biden’s son has been charged with." Rapper Kodak Black’s lawyer decries ‘2 tiers of justice’ after Hunter Biden plea deal

I don't know any of the details of this case but I'm not at all surprised to see this. Further, this is certainly telling:

"Cohen explained in a Twitter post that in his decades working in the criminal justice system, he has yet to have a client avoid prison time after pleading guilty to illegal possession of a weapon and tax evasion charges. “After 26 years, I have yet to have a plea in a case with an illegal possession of a weapon and tax evasion, that did not come with some kind of prison sentence. Indigents charged the same way would be getting jail time,” Cohen said."

Though not an exact parallel, look at what happened to Martha Stewart. She had NO weapons charges and ended up in a federal prison for 5 months for insider trading. No plea bargain for her:

“In 2004, Stewart was convicted of felony charges related to the ImClone stock trading case; she served five months in federal prison and was released in March 2005.”

I wonder if Bob down the street would end up with the same deal as the president's son.
My guess would be no, not a chance in hello.

It's mind boggling how certain criminals just seem to never face justice.

jmo

In Canada less than 25 percent of tax cheats go to jail so Bob up the street would probably get the same deal in Canada as HB.

In the US that percentage is substantially higher, around 80 percent but that means 20 percent get the HB treatment. These are 2013 numbers.

It seems tax evasion is a much more serious crime than falsifying records which seems odd to me. You'd think willfully lying or falsifying signed documents submitted to the federal government would be more serious, but what do I know?

There's probably thousands upon thousands of tax cheats in both Canada and the US who lie on their returns about income and they are usually workers in the hospitality business who don't claim their tips. They'd have to build more prisons if they went after them! But when the minimum wage is only 2.33 and 2.23 hour in states like Wisconsin and Delaware I can see why workers may not claim their tips

As for the lying about drug use when purchasing a weapon, that too, is a barely implemented punishment since there is no way to track drug use by a paper trail. So it seems many Bobs especially in the US avoid prison terms for drug use when purchasing weapons, just like HB.

Last edited:
"Rapper Kodak Black’s lawyer on Tuesday slammed the Justice Department for allowing Hunter Biden to plead guilty to federal tax and firearms charges in a deal that’s expected to carry no prison time and leave the first son’s record free of felony convictions. Bradford Cohen, Black’s Florida-based attorney, decried Hunter’s apparent slap on the wrist, alluding to “2 tiers of justice” which he claims led his client to be sentenced to 46 months in prison for the same crime that President Biden’s son has been charged with." Rapper Kodak Black’s lawyer decries ‘2 tiers of justice’ after Hunter Biden plea deal

I don't know any of the details of this case but I'm not at all surprised to see this. Further, this is certainly telling:

"Cohen explained in a Twitter post that in his decades working in the criminal justice system, he has yet to have a client avoid prison time after pleading guilty to illegal possession of a weapon and tax evasion charges. “After 26 years, I have yet to have a plea in a case with an illegal possession of a weapon and tax evasion, that did not come with some kind of prison sentence. Indigents charged the same way would be getting jail time,” Cohen said."

The lawyer's lying (surprise!), its not the same. Black had a prior record of violent crimes.

The “Bodak Yellow” rapper had a criminal record that would have disqualified him from buying the weapons.

And this is from a former federal prosecutor.

Though not an exact parallel, look at what happened to Martha Stewart. She had NO weapons charges and ended up in a federal prison for 5 months for insider trading. No plea bargain for her:

“In 2004, Stewart was convicted of felony charges related to the ImClone stock trading case; she served five months in federal prison and was released in March 2005.”

Technically she was found guilty of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and lying to federal investigators. :)

I don't know, but it seems inappropriate. If nothing else, direct family members of public officials should not be eligible to participate in lobby activities.

Hunter Biden didn't seem to have many qualifications, aside from the fact that his father was vice president of the United States.
Agree.
And, even worse, family members shouldn't be allowed to be in White House admin, even though they didn't have any qualifications AND didn't qualify for security clearance. That seems much, much worse to me. DJT Jr and the rest of the fam, I'm looking at you!

Technically she was found guilty of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and lying to federal investigators. :)

Thanks, you are correct —all white collar crimes with NO weapons charges. Five months in federal prison , 2 years supervised release and I believe $30,000 fine.

Two IRS whistleblowers told Congress in closed-door testimony released Thursday that there
was a Justice Department coverup in the tax fraud investigation of first son Hunter Biden.

The two tax agents told the House Ways and Means Committee that they pressed for felony charges against Hunter Biden for ducking $2.2 million in tax payments and charged that evidence implicating the first son was buried by the Justice Department, the panel’s chairman said Thursday.
(…)
In the September 2020 investigatory meeting, Shapley recalled, Wolf added that “optics were a driving factor in the decision on whether to execute a search warrant. She said a lot of evidence in our investigation would be found in the guest house of former Vice President Biden, but said there is no way we will get that approved.”

Shapley also revealed that Hunter Biden had cited his father in a July 30, 2017, Whatsapp message to one of his Chinese associates, Henry Zhao — a Communist Party official and director of Harvest Fund Management, which invested in Hunter’s firm BHR Partners.

“I am sitting here with my father and we would like to understand why the commitment made has not been fulfilled,” Hunter wrote. “Tell the director that I would like to resolve this now before it gets out of hand, and now means tonight. And, Z, if I get a call or text from anyone involved in this other than you, Zhang, or the chairman, I will make certain that between the man sitting next to me and every person he knows and my ability to forever hold a grudge that you will regret not following my direction. I am sitting here waiting for the call with my father.”

Joe Biden has repeatedly denied speaking with his son about his overseas business interests, despite clear evidence to the contrary.

I am more concerned about the rest of the information in the article, regarding his salary as a "lobbyist". Shouldn't there be some sort of ethics issue for the relatives of Vice President, to be doing lobbyist work in Congress and Senate?! That seems ethically challenged to me. And a salary of $50,000 a month?! Really?!
There should be some ethics rules for that - I agree. And same for relatives of POTUS and those of Supreme Court Justices' relatives too ... and while we are at it, how about some ethics rules for the justices themselves.

Bob would be free to negotiate a plea deal as well. Can you give an example of someone facing the same charges being treated differently?

My cousin.
This was over 20 years ago, he was fighting with girlfriend and she called cops on him and told he had a weapon (gun). Because of previous charges he was not allowed to have a gun, he was arrested and charged, 5 year sentence.

(Emphases by The House Ways and Means)

“Whistleblowers describe how the Biden Justice Department intervened and overstepped in a campaign to protect the son of Joe Biden by delaying, divulging, and denying an ongoing investigation into Hunter Biden’s alleged tax crimes. The testimony shows tactics used by the Justice Department to delay the investigation long enough to reach the statute of limitations, evidence they divulged sensitive actions by the investigative team to Biden’s attorneys, and denied requests by the U.S. Attorney to bring charges against Biden.

IRS employees who blew the whistle on this abuse were retaliated against, despite a commitment IRS Commissioner Werfel made before the Ways and Means Committee to uphold their legal protections. They were removed from this investigation after they responsibly worked through the chain of command to raise these concerns.

Last edited:
From your link - (Letter to Antony Blinken from Congress of the US)
Snipped with emphasis by me.

On October 14, 2020, the New York Post published a report detailing how Hunter Biden used the position and influence of his father, now-President Joe Biden, for personal gain with the apparent awareness of President Biden.1 The article reported on several emails found on a laptop belonging to Hunter Biden that he had abandoned in a Delaware computer shop. 2 The contents of the emails cast doubt on President Biden’s previous denials of speaking to his son about his international business dealings.

Within five days of the article, on October 19, 2020, 51 former intelligence officials released a public statement attempting to discredit the contents of the New York Post’s reporting about Hunter Biden, stating that the story “has all the classic earmarks of a Russian information operation.”3 News publications immediately ran with the statement, with Politico publishing a story with the conclusive headline, “Hunter Biden story is Russian disinfo, dozens of former officials say.”4 Social media companies simultaneously restricted access to the Post story, including Twitter locking the Post’s and then-White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s accounts for sharing a link to the article.5 During the final presidential debate on October 22, then-Vice President Biden cited the public statement to rebut President Trump’s criticism of the Biden family business dealings, saying:

Look, there are 50 former national intelligence folks who said that what this, [President Trump’s] accusing me of is a Russian plan. They have said this this has all the characteristics—four—five former heads of the CIA, both parties, say what he’s saying is a bunch of garbage. Nobody believes it except him and his good friend Rudy Giuliani.6

Subsequent reporting revealed that the New York Post story was not, as the public statement claimed and then-Vice President Biden parroted, part of a “Russian information operation.”7 This revelation nearly two years after the fact, however, was little consolation. The concerted efforts to dismiss the serious allegations in the Post’s reporting and to suppress any discussion of the story played a substantial role in the 2020 election.

(…)

Morell further explained that one of his two goals in releasing the statement was to help then-Vice President Biden in the debate and to assist him in winning the election.17 He testified:
Q: What was the intent of the statement?

A: There were two intents. One intent was to share our concern with the American people that the Russians were playing on this issue; and, two, it was [to] help Vice President Biden.18
Chairman Jordan: You wanted to help the Vice President why?

A: Because I wanted him to win the election.

Chairman Jordan: You wanted him to win; that’s why?

A:

From your link -

• The Complicated Web of Biden Family and Associates’ Companies: Biden family members and business associates created a web of over 20 companies—most were limited liability companies formed afterJoe Biden became Vice President.
  • The Biden Family Received Millions of Dollars from Foreign Sources: Bank records show the Biden family, their business associates, and their companies received over $10 million from foreign nationals’ and their related companies. The Committee has identified payments to Biden family members from foreign companies while he served as Vice President and after he left public office.
  • The Biden Family Used Business Associates’ Companies to Receive Foreign Funds: Despite creating many companies after Vice President Biden took office, the Biden family used business associates’ companies to receive millions of dollars from foreign companies.
  • Attempts to Conceal Large Financial Transactions: After foreign companies sent money to business associates’ companies, the Biden family received incremental payments over time to different bank accounts. These complicated financial transactions appear to be meant to conceal the source of the funds and reduce the conspicuousness of the total amounts made into the Biden bank accounts.
  • Chinese Nationals Hid the Source of the Money:Chinese nationals and companies with significant ties to Chinese intelligence and the Chinese Communist Party hid the source of the funds paid out to the Bidens by layering domestic limited liability companies. The Biden family and associates’ activities in coordination with Chinese nationals and their corporate entities appear to be an attempt to engage in financial deception. Multiple Biden family members received money from the Chinese after it passed through an associate’s account. Additionally, Hunter Biden received money directly into his company’s account from a Chinese-controlled entity.
  • Biden Family and Associates’ Activities in Romania Indicate Influence Peddling Scheme: The Biden family and associates’ activities in Romania bear clear indicia of a scheme to peddle influence from 2015 to 2017. While Vice President Biden lectured Romania on corruption and ethics, the Bidens received over a million dollars from a company controlled by a Romanian individual accused of corruption, Gabriel Popoviciu, through a Biden family associate.

When pushed on the allegations during a news conference Friday, Garland said that Weiss was “permitted to continue his investigation and to make a decision to prosecute any way in which he wanted to and in any district in which he wanted to.”

“I don’t know how it would be possible for anybody to block him from bringing a prosecution, given that he has this authority,” Garland said.

Garland rejected any claim that he would not appoint Weiss as a special counsel, stating that “Mr. Weiss never made that request to me.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back