Hurricane Dean

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know, I guess they are just doing it as a precaution. They arent taking any chances. They have emergency crews ready and everything here.

The Caymans were torn up by Ivan.....we vacation there and are really bummed :( The island is so little I can't imagine there's anywhere to go that is safe...except for OFF the island! Prayers to all those in the path.

Looks like my hubby is headed to Corpus to help friends board up!

None of the computer models show it heading towards LA.

Yes, in fact, they do, one has it headed towards right between New Orleans & Mobile, AL. Chances are it will go into South TX and Mexico but as far out as it is now, no one can say it won't turn north. I'm glad they are preparing in Louisiana...since Katrina, much better safe than sorry.

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurricane_spaghetti.asp

You never now what these things are going to do, especially once they hit the Gulf. We were the target for one a few years back - a biggie, but I can't recall the name. We were told to evacuate. It was coming up the gulf coast and was suppose to hit the Clearwater/Largo area. All of a sudden it took a sharp right turn and that's the one that slammed into Punta Gorda. We never even got any high winds from it........

Dean is wobbling; this could possibly indicate a slight change in direction. Nothing new with the 2:00PM AST report. The next report will be at 5:00PM AST.

Dean is wobbling; this could possibly indicate a slight change in direction. Nothing new with the 2:00PM AST report. The next report will be at 5:00PM AST.

Change in which direction??? Guess I'll find out at 5. I just pray it stays away from us (West Coast Florida). Actually I really pray that it fizzels out.

NASA just reported that they will land the space shuttle one day ealrier due to Dean

You never now what these things are going to do, especially once they hit the Gulf. We were the target for one a few years back - a biggie, but I can't recall the name. We were told to evacuate. It was coming up the gulf coast and was suppose to hit the Clearwater/Largo area. All of a sudden it took a sharp right turn and that's the one that slammed into Punta Gorda. We never even got any high winds from it........
--you're talking about Charlie from August 2004--Tampa/Clearwater lucked out again, no hurricane has made a direct hit in that area since 1921

According to the news update....Houston and Galveston are going to be spared of Dean.:p :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Well, good thing I have the cars gassed up, and things packed. Looks like it might be headed here. But I do hope Galveston is spared as I have family there. Not that there is any GOOD place for it to hit. Anyway, good luck and God Bless ev1.

Well, good thing I have the cars gassed up, and things packed. Looks like it might be headed here. But I do hope Galveston is spared as I have family there. Not that there is any GOOD place for it to hit. Anyway, good luck and God Bless ev1.
Stay safe froggie

:blowkiss:

--you're talking about Charlie from August 2004--Tampa/Clearwater lucked out again, no hurricane has made a direct hit in that area since 1921

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

what hurricane was that - what was the category? I guess I could go look it up.

Dean is still growing:
was:
HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES...95 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 205MILES...335 KM.

Is now:

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND
TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES...370 KM.
PUNTA CANA IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING TROPICAL STORM FORCE WIND GUSTS FOR THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS. .

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED OVER JAMAICA...WITH MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE. AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER SOUTHERN HAITI WITH MAXIMUM TOTALS OF 10 INCHES POSSIBLE. THE REMAINDER OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...HAITI AND EASTERN CUBA...COULD RECEIVE 2 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN WITH MAXIMUM AMOUNTS UP TO 7 INCHES POSSIBLE. ADDITIONAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER PUERTO RICO...WITH ISOLATED STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 5 INCHES. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 7 TO 9 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...IS
POSSIBLE NEAR THE CENTER OF DEAN IN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA.

REPEATING THE 500 PM AST POSITION...16.1 N...70.2 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 18 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...930 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 800 PM AST FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 1100PM AST.

HEADS-UP JAMAICA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/024525.shtml?3day?large#contents
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/143525.shtml?5day?large#contents

Category Four Hurricane:
Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Charley of 2004 was a Category Four hurricane made landfall in Charlotte County, Florida with winds of 150 mph. Hurricane Dennis (pdf) of 2005 struck the island of Cuba as a Category Four hurricane.

Category Five Hurricane:
Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Only 3 Category Five Hurricanes have made landfall in the United States since records began: The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, Hurricane Camille (1969), and Hurricane Andrew in August, 1992. The 1935 Labor Day Hurricane struck the Florida Keys with a minimum pressure of 892 mb--the lowest pressure ever observed in the United States. Hurricane Camille struck the Mississippi Gulf Coast causing a 25-foot storm surge, which inundated Pass Christian. Hurricane Andrew of 1992 made landfall over southern Miami-Dade County, Florida causing 26.5 billion dollars in losses--the costliest hurricane on record. In addition, Hurricane Wilma (pdf) of 2005 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclone on record with a minimum pressure of 882 mb.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back