Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, to expand upon that. I believe it was this morning here in California that I was watching either The Weather Channel or CNN, I think the former, and they mentioned that they had a reporter in Abaco, but it was not safe for them to broadcast yet. That was at least 12 hours ago, and I'm guessing their conditions have not improved since then.
When the storm first hit there and some images were coming out, I noticed what looked like wooden houses in a neighborhood. I don't know how long they can structurally withstand the surge and winds. Really worried about Abaco! I hope most/all people went to a safe and strong structure.

jmo

He said the water was at least to 8 Feet. That means unless one is able to get at least to 9 Ft, and be Indoors, there is no way to survive. Listening to him talk about his neighbor wanting to stay, but not having a house built 15 Ft above the ground, chilled me.

Weather Channel just showed a video where the person shows water and waves at his windows that are 20 Feet off the ground.

Last edited:
He said the water was at least to 8 Feet. That means unless one is able to get at least to 9 Ft, and be Indoors, there is no way to survive. Listening to him talk about his neighbor wanting to stay, but not having a house built 15 Ft above the ground, chilled me.

Weather Channel just showed a video where the person shows water and waves at his windows that are 20 Feet off the ground.

That video is included in this article.

Hurricane Dorian devastating the Bahamas while the East Coast starts evacuations

Evacuating is easier said than done, Estrada said. The unclear trajectory of the storm has closed businesses and cost people nearly a week’s worth of wages. The expense of evacuating and the missed income made leaving almost impossible for many, including Estrada.

“The only people on this block who left have the money to do it — a dentist, a pilot, an anesthesiologist,” Estrada said, as her granddaughter tugged on her arm. “I’m a hairdresser and am not going to be able to work this week. My son-in-law owns his own business. My daughter is a nurse, so she’s on call. I have another son who is an electrician, and he’s not working this week. My other daughter is a waitress, so this was supposed to be a big shebang weekend for them — they’re losing that money. My husband’s a machinist, and his work probably won’t be open.”
Floridians frustrated by cost of evacuation, lost wages as they wait for Dorian

Evacuating is easier said than done, Estrada said. The unclear trajectory of the storm has closed businesses and cost people nearly a week’s worth of wages. The expense of evacuating and the missed income made leaving almost impossible for many, including Estrada.

“The only people on this block who left have the money to do it — a dentist, a pilot, an anesthesiologist,” Estrada said, as her granddaughter tugged on her arm. “I’m a hairdresser and am not going to be able to work this week. My son-in-law owns his own business. My daughter is a nurse, so she’s on call. I have another son who is an electrician, and he’s not working this week. My other daughter is a waitress, so this was supposed to be a big shebang weekend for them — they’re losing that money. My husband’s a machinist, and his work probably won’t be open.”
It's not that I don't feel for these people, but they need to just be thankful that they are probably not going to bear the full force of this storm, and put not only their businesses but their homes and lives at risk.

Imagining what has happened to those in the Bahamas is far more terrifying than losing a few days of work.

WTNT65 KNHC 030652
TCUAT5

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
300 AM EDT Tue Sep 03 2019

...DORIAN REMAINS AT A STANDSTILL...

Residents should remain in shelter on Grand Bahama Island as they
continue to experience Dorian's eyewall.

Hazards:
- Wind Gusts to 150 mph
- Storm Surge 10 to 15 feet above normal tide levels with higher
destructive waves

These hazards will continue over Grand Bahama Island through today.

SUMMARY OF 300 AM EDT...0700 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 100 MI...165 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Berg
Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

It's not that I don't feel for these people, but they need to just be thankful that they are probably not going to bear the full force of this storm, and put not only their businesses but their homes and lives at risk.

Imagining what has happened to those in the Bahamas is far more terrifying than losing a few days of work.

I think the point of the article was to explain why some people aren’t evacuating from mandatory evacuation zones. They simply can’t afford to. I didn’t get the sense that they weren’t thankful or were complaining about losing work, but rather were explaining to the writer of the article why they have no money to evacuate, even if they need to. Many people have no savings to use as a buffer. As the article continues:

The cost of evacuation keeps many like Estrada at home — even if that home is in the danger zone. Beyond the travel costs and missed wages, every day they're not at home means they're paying for food and shelter somewhere else.

More than a million people across the Southeast are making the same calculations about getting out of town, and Hurricane Dorian's unclear trajectory and the exasperating slow place has complicated their decisions.

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.06 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued north of Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida to Altamaha Sound Georgia.

It's very true. There ARE people who legitimately do NOT have the money to evacuate. Don't have a vehicle, don't have money for gas.... that's why the buses/boats would be so helpful to get people out of there.

The guy filming from inside his house also went and drove around:

The one filming the waves hitting his windows 20 feet off the ground?

Travis C-Carroll‏ @TravisCC 20h20 hours ago
Minister of Agriculture and Marco City MP Michael Pintard, who lives on Grand Bahama, showing some utterly frightening footage of his home during the passage of Hurricane Dorian.

Travis C-Carroll on Twitter

Travis C-Carroll‏ @TravisCC
Hearing that Minister Pintard's front door flew off and officials are now trying to get to him.

Travis C-Carroll‏ @TravisCC 13h13 hours ago
I’m hearing that he was not in an evacuation zone and unfortunately the storm is so powerful and unpredictable there really aren’t that many safe places on the island.

I'm seeing some people saying that the 6 second video of the inside of a flooded house with chandeliers is also Minister Pintard. However, I see no evidence to support that right now.

So, I haven't been able to find any further updates on Minister Pintard at all.

Freeport International Airport

Dem House Leader on Twitter

There are also videos of water coming into an attic space... and several other terrifying videos.

Travis C-Carroll (@TravisCC) | Twitter

I like that hurricanes do have so much warning.... and I'd evacuate each and every time! However... I HATE THE WATER. So, I think I'll stick with good old earthquakes.

Last edited:
Levi Cowen with Tropical Tidbits
Facebook post this morning:
Tropical Tidbits

#Dorian, so sadly for the Bahamas, still isn't moving this morning.

As a result, confidence is now very high that Dorian will stay ~70 miles offshore of Florida.

Hurricane and Storm Surge Warnings remain in effect north of West Palm Beach, and life-threatening impacts to the coast remain possible despite the storm being offshore.

Dorian is expected to get closer to South Carolina and North Carolina than it will to Florida, and a landfall there is possible Thursday or early Friday.

Direct link:
Tropical Tidbits

Minister of Agriculture and Marco City MP Michael Pintard, who lives on Grand Bahama, showing some utterly frightening footage of his home during the passage of Hurricane Dorian.

Hearing that Minister Pintard's front door flew off and officials are now trying to get to him.

I’m hearing that he was not in an evacuation zone and unfortunately the storm is so powerful and unpredictable there really aren’t that many safe places on the island.

I'm seeing some people saying that the 6 second video of the inside of a flooded house with chandeliers is also Minister Pintard. However, I see no evidence to support that right now.

There are also videos of water coming into an attic space... and several other terrifying videos.

I like that hurricanes do have so much warning.... and I'd evacuate each and every time! However... I HATE THE WATER. So, I think I'll stick with good old earthquakes.

Or better yet, no hurricanes OR earthquakes. Just good old man winter and occasional tornadoes.

OBE.....we went to the Coast as newly graduated nurses.....wanted to help the medical team....but we couldn't find the streets in order to know if we were in the right place or had we gone too far? There was nothing familiar.
There were no houses.....just slabs. Ended up doing first aid and giving tetanus shots in Gulfport, I believe.
My first hurricane memory is the "Hurricane of 1947". It hit New Orleans and we were just kids. Dad had us all in the hallway. The doors were shaking and I held on to one of the door handles. Hurricane memories last for a long time...lol.

Morning Lato, and all! You are so correct those memories never fade.

At the time Camille hit ...my hubby was in the Army Reserves doing training there when it happened.

He was doing guard duty when it happened, and was in what they call the guard post or shack. He was out in the middle of it with no secure buildings around to escape to. Instead he ran to a 5 ton truck, and that's where he rode it out.

He was sure the truck was going to flip. Large trees were being uprooted all around him every where with several slamming into his truck. He said all he could do is sit there, and pray.

Once it was over when they began to search for him it took hours to just remove all of the debris that covered the truck.

When they finally were able to get him out of the truck he couldn't believe he had made it out alive because of the damage sustained to it. The truck ws destroyed except a very small area in the cab where he had hunkered down.

He knows he was very lucky to come out alive during Camille.

Their unit stayed there on the ground for weeks helping look for bodies, and rescuing others, and removing tons of debris.

The mere thought my wonderful hubby could have been killed during Camille still crosses my mind at times. :(

My heart breaks for everyone in the Bahamas. We have visited there several times, and enjoyed it immensely.

Its unbelievable how they have had this monster hurricane ravage them over, and over without let up. Its unimaginable even for hurricanes to remain chewing up one place for this long at a CAT5.

May God be with them all.

Jmho

Last edited:
That is scary! He said a shipping container floated by - I would be very concerned something large like that could crash into the house. I hope his windows hold up. He is probably in good shape, but as he said, he is IN the ocean.

How can people sleep? This is going on and on...and to handle it without sleep seems absolutely overwhelming. I suppose adults take turns.

jmo

Great video. I became very scared when he said he was 15 feet above sea level and hadn't experienced high tide yet! Yikes! I wouldn't worry about the windows busting from the wind, he mentioned they were hurricane proof (actually impact resistant from wind or debris) and very expensive. My husband and I considered investing in them for our rebuild after Sandy but decided not to invest and, if needed, we would just board up the house again.

But I am truly amazed at the height of the water and the velocity! The water was lapping his 8 feet above sea level patio and pushing further up. We raised our house 12 feet and I can't image worrying if the water was going to go higher!

He mentioned he was in Pine Bay in the Bahamas. I looked it up and that is the Grand Bahama Island that is also home to Freeport. I think we will see a lot of destruction and fatalities on Grand Bahama and Abaco.

As far as sleep, we got very little sleep the night Sandy roared through. After the water came in on the first floor we went upstairs and I put my daughter to bed and my husband was so exhausted he laid down himself. I laid down too (both my daughters bedrooms were upstairs) and maybe slept 10 minutes every hour or so, then would look out at the one window that wasn't boarded up to see what was going on outside. I couldn't wait until daylight when I could see better.

Prayers to all.

Last edited:
Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

...EYE OF DORIAN BEGINNING TO INCH NORTHWESTWARD...
...SOUTHERN EYEWALL CONTINUES TO POUND GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...27.1N 78.4W
ABOUT 40 MI...70 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 110 MI...175 KM ENE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 1 MPH...2 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...952 MB...28.11 INCHES

------------------------------

Finally! Some NW movement detected.

I hope nobody witnesses the horrible conditions we are seeing from Bahamas, but if you post a video on SM, be sure to state in your audio the date, time, and location. One, that will verify it is a legit video of the circumstances (not an old video being re-posted) and two, will help viewers assess the situation: is this before high tide or after, at the start of the storm with more to come, or near the back end? Etc.

Just a suggestion after watching Dorian videos the past few days!

I am really feeling for the people who have been under this storm for days on end. I keep thinking of the phrase, "This too shall pass" but want to scream "Now!"

jmo

I am sorry to hear the Minister's door might have blown off. Once there is a breech, I would imagine the ocean just blows right through. No way to stop it.

I worried as I watched videos of people confident in their hurricane windows. The windows might be strong enough to withstand a hurricane, but not so sure about day after day of a Cat 5 water and wind pounding on them. And I'm worried that floating debris in the ocean waters lapping at their windows could damage the house enough that it undermines the structure. I am hoping they all have upper floors they could escape to if their sturdy windows give way.

Dorian, GO AWAY.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members