Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In other tropical weather news:

412d7101-7d7b-483f-b310-1140da3bd7ca.png

(Seven) Tropical Depression Seven is in the Gulf of Mexico and the NHC forecasts it to turn into tropical storm tomorrow. This one will be Fernand.

(1) There's a 90% chance of a cyclone forming in the Atlantic Ocean, close to the coast of Africa, within the next 48 hours.

(2) Additionally, there's a 40% chance of another cyclone forming south of Bermuda in the next two days.

Live updates: Hurricane Dorian inches toward Florida - CNN

Here is the 11am update for Dorian:

dea4cbe0-956d-45f7-9850-5753611801ab.png

@Inthedetails I'm terribly afraid that you are absolutely right.

Travis C-Carroll‏ @TravisCC
The remains of the Haitian shantytown The Mudd and Pigeon Peas on Abaco. I did not take this video nor do I own it.

Travis C-Carroll on Twitter

Kyle Walkine‏ @KyleWalkine 21h21 hours ago
Kyle Walkine Retweeted OluwaRob B.

Heartbreaking. This was the shelter where those with special needs, pregnant women, diabetics, those on dialysis were asked to go. Thankfully, the Rand Memorial Hospital is just across the street.

Kyle Walkine‏ @KyleWalkine 5h5 hours ago
7:52am - Rescue efforts are about to recommence here on Grand Bahama, beginning with shelters and the Rand Memorial Hospital.

Kyle Walkine on Twitter

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC
RACE AGAINST TIME: Dramatic video shows group of people swimming through raging Bahamas floodwaters as the eye of Hurricane Dorian passed overhead.

ABC News on Twitter

Morning Lato, and all! You are so correct those memories never fade.

At the time Camille hit ...my hubby was in the Army Reserves doing training there when it happened.

He was doing guard duty when it happened, and was in what they call the guard post or shack. He was out in the middle of it with no secure buildings around to escape to. Instead he ran to a 5 ton truck, and that's where he rode it out.

He was sure the truck was going to flip. Large trees were being uprooted all around him every where with several slamming into his truck. He said all he could do is sit there, and pray.

Once it was over when they began to search for him it took hours to just remove all of the debris that covered the truck.

When they finally were able to get him out of the truck he couldn't believe he had made it out alive because of the damage sustained to it. The truck ws destroyed except a very small area in the cab where he had hunkered down.

He knows he was very lucky to come out alive during Camille.

Their unit stayed there on the ground for weeks helping look for bodies, and rescuing others, and removing tons of debris.

The mere thought my wonderful hubby could have been killed during Camille still crosses my mind at times. :(

My heart breaks for everyone in the Bahamas. We have visited there several times, and enjoyed it immensely.

Its unbelievable how they have had this monster hurricane ravage them over, and over without let up. Its unimaginable even for hurricanes to remain chewing up one place for this long at a CAT5.

May God be with them all.

Jmho
Wow what a horrifying experience.

Twitter is being used to coordinate search efforts and spread resources. It's amazing to watch. I've seen similar things in the wildfires in the past.

This one especially is posting the people found SAFE. So definitely search twitter before starting threads for missing people.

ℬittersweet (@KimKayaKhianKor) | Twitter

Kyle Walkine‏ @KyleWalkine 15h15 hours ago
Kyle Walkine Retweeted Joel Franco

I’m in a three story building, believed to be one of the strongest in Freeport, and it is shaking. But Dorian doesn’t want to move.

ℬittersweet ‏ @KimKayaKhianKor 16h16 hours ago
Freeport Downtown area is totally submersed, as per the Office of the Prime Minister. Several attempts have been made to rescue persons at Lady Lake, over the bridge and Fortune Bay, but were unsuccessful due to winds and stormwater.

ℬittersweet ‏ @KimKayaKhianKor
Fire engines used in the rescue attempt was submerged and its personnel had to swim back to safety. The persons in crisis have, therefore, not been rescued. The entire island is in darkness. This is beyond incredible and heart-wrenching.

Last edited:
@Inthedetails I'm terribly afraid that you are absolutely right.

Travis C-Carroll‏ @TravisCC
The remains of the Haitian shantytown The Mudd and Pigeon Peas on Abaco. I did not take this video nor do I own it.

Travis C-Carroll on Twitter

Kyle Walkine‏ @KyleWalkine 21h21 hours ago
Kyle Walkine Retweeted OluwaRob B.

Heartbreaking. This was the shelter where those with special needs, pregnant women, diabetics, those on dialysis were asked to go. Thankfully, the Rand Memorial Hospital is just across the street.

Kyle Walkine‏ @KyleWalkine 5h5 hours ago
7:52am - Rescue efforts are about to recommence here on Grand Bahama, beginning with shelters and the Rand Memorial Hospital.

Kyle Walkine on Twitter

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC
RACE AGAINST TIME: Dramatic video shows group of people swimming through raging Bahamas floodwaters as the eye of Hurricane Dorian passed overhead.

ABC News on Twitter
Thank you!

There really isn't much of anything recent coming from Abaco. I'm hoping that is because electricity, internet is out, batteries are now dead, etc. Not because people are literally holding on for life and can't get info out. Now that rescue crews are able to get there (I hope), perhaps we'll get a status update on current conditions.

jmo

11 am forecast discussion.

Recent radar and aircraft data show that Dorian has finally begun to move northwestward, but dangerous winds and life-threatening storm surge will continue over Grand Bahama Island for much of today.

The eye has become cloud filled in infrared and visible satellite
imagery. While aircraft and radar data indicate that the eye has
increased in size, it is also a bit more ragged. Recent reports
from reconnaissance aircraft and data buoys indicate that overall wind field of the hurricane is slowly expanding, while the peak winds have come down a little more.

The latest reports from the aircraft support an initial intensity of 95 kt. As Dorian moves near the east coast of Florida during the next day or two, little overall change in intensity is anticipated.

After that time, increasing shear should result in a gradual decrease in the peak wind speed while the hurricane gains latitude and grows in size. The official forecast is in good agreement with the intensity consensus models.
Hurricane Dorian Forecast Discussion

So Dorian is increasing in size but not intensity. Too late for the Bahamas but hopefully we won't see it return to category 5 when it skirts the U.S. coast. Storm surge watches and warning have been discontinued for most of south Florida along with hurricane watches.

My West Palm Beach daughter reports that at the moment her yard is a swamp and mosquitoes are everywhere. Like everyone here is saying, rain and flooding are the big problems. Higher winds should be arriving within the next 24 to 36 hours.
https://www.weather.gov/mfl/hwo

The SCDOT has suspended the collection of tolls on the Cross Island Parkway as of 9 a.m. on Monday until further notice.

Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall said, “This action supports public safety efforts in evacuation and recovery operations in Beaufort County.”

Hall added that the suspension of tolls allows for the free, uninterrupted flow of traffic on the CIP.
DORIAN NORTH CAROLINA SOUTH CAROLINA EVACUATIONS: South Carolina Governor orders mandatory evacuation of coastal counties

In less than a week, about 250 dogs and cats moved out of the shelter and in with temporary foster families called Storm Troopers. They'll take care of the pets until at least Friday once Dorian has dissipated, the shelter said.
"It just blows us away," CEO Denise Deisler told CNN. "These are people who may have to evacuate themselves, and they're taking a pet with them."
upload_2019-9-3_12-22-21.jpeg
By Monday, they'd gotten all of their animals out except for two dogs quarantined for biting, some nursing cats and their kittens and a few medical patients. They'll all ride out the storm with the shelter's skeleton crew, she said.
Hurricane Dorian: Florida shelter finds 250 animals foster homes before storm - CNN

The storm is traveling sluggishly because atmospheric conditions that dictate its movement collapsed on Sunday night. Those steering currents are driven by the other players in the atmosphere that are larger than the hurricane, including high pressure and low pressure systems, troughs and the jet stream. (It's the wind blowing in relation to all of these that steers the weather.)
You can walk faster than Hurricane Dorian. Why is the storm moving so slowly?

“With rising water, like everything else, they’re going to be heading for higher ground,” warned Kent Donahue, spokesman for the Florida Department of Health in Orange County. “If you see a snake, back away from it slowly and do not touch it.”

Donahue dispatched health advisories about snakes and other pests likely to cause problems post-Dorian, including mosquitoes.
Hurricane Dorian: Watch out for snakes! Mosquitoes, too.

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL052019
200 PM EDT Tue Sep 03 2019

...DORIAN'S CORE MOVING FINALLY MOVING AWAY FROM GRAND BAHAMA
ISLAND...
...DANGEROUS WINDS AND LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE WILL CONTINUE
ON GRAND BAHAMA THROUGH THIS EVENING...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.5N 78.7W
ABOUT 65 MI...105 KM N OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF FORT PIERCE FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110 MPH...175 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...959 MB...28.32 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The government of the Bahamas has changed the Hurricane Warning to
a Tropical Storm Warning for Grand Bahama and the Abacos Islands
in the northwestern Bahamas.

The Tropical Storm Watch for Lake Okeechobee has been discontinued.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* Jupiter Inlet FL to South Santee River SC

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for...
* North of South Santee River SC to Cape Lookout NC

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* Jupiter Inlet FL to Ponte Vedra Beach FL
* North of Edisto Beach SC to South Santee River SC

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* North of Ponte Vedra Beach FL to Edisto Beach SC
* North of South Santee River SC to Duck NC
* Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* Grand Bahama and the Abacos Islands in the northwestern Bahamas
* North of Deerfield Beach FL to Jupiter Inlet FL
* North of Ponte Vedra Beach FL to Edisto Beach SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads