Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for Webcams. I don't know Canada, but there are a few different ones here.

Sable Island, different views:

DAWC - WxCam - Camera Player

4 here are Sable Island:

Sable Island: Sable Island Station (Sable Island, Canada)

There is a Sable Island one here too, these are the clearest right now and appear to be the most live ones. These also show the distance from camera to camera which is helpful to me at least:

West Pubnico | Royal Canadian Legion Branch 66, 668 Highway 335, West Pubnico

Last edited:
@pugmom - How's it going??

It's unusually dark and getting windy here. My husband, daughter, and I went for a nap at noon because we were just getting tired of waiting it out, and the worry was draining us. When I woke up just now, at 3:00, it's pretty spooky outside. We're down in a valley but the tops of the trees on our property are blowing around pretty hard. I heard that some of Nova Scotia has lost power, but it's still on here in Eastern Prince Edward Island for the time being. Most of the businesses on the island are closed, or are closing very shortly, and the national parks closed at 11:00 and the people camping there have had to find other accommodations. Some community halls will be opening up for emergency shelter, if need be. Sounds like we're all as prepared as we can be at this point.

It's unusually dark and getting windy here. My husband, daughter, and I went for a nap at noon because we were just getting tired of waiting it out, and the worry was draining us. When I woke up just now, at 3:00, it's pretty spooky outside. We're down in a valley but the tops of the trees on our property are blowing around pretty hard. I heard that some of Nova Scotia has lost power, but it's still on here in Eastern Prince Edward Island for the time being. Most of the businesses on the island are closed, or are closing very shortly, and the national parks closed at 11:00 and the people camping there have had to find other accommodations. Some community halls will be opening up for emergency shelter, if need be. Sounds like we're all as prepared as we can be at this point.
Thanks for checking in @pugmom. I've been thinking about you throughout the day. Best wishes to you, your family, your friends and your community.

Oh my. Has the water ever swallowed the bridge?
I just googled the height of it, and it's 60 meters high...so I guess it would be safe from the water unless there were freak waves. But it's a 8 mile long bridge and I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of it in this weather. I get weird vibes whenever I'm on it anyway, but I think that movie "Final Destination" did that to me!

So the OBX horses being okay doesn’t include them. I didn’t think those horses looked wild!

Then again some of the Sable Island ones don’t act too wild either so....
"For several years, the horses were cared for and protected by the local Ocracoke Boy Scout troop, the only mounted scout troop in the country. By 1959, the National Park Service had completed work on a soundside pen, which was large enough for the horses to roam, but protected them from the newly constructed highway.

While at one point the number of Ocracoke Wild Ponies on the island was estimated at 300, today only 17 horses remain of the original Spanish herd. But hopefully, with combined National Park Service (NPS) and local efforts, as well as a safe and protected environment, the horses will once again flourish on Ocracoke Island."

Wow. Only 17 left. That is sad. I hope they were able to find/swim to higher ground.

Ocracoke Wild Horses - OuterBanks.com

ETA: That link is full of fascinating information about the history of the Ocracoke ponies/horses.

I just googled the height of it, and it's 60 meters high...so I guess it would be safe from the water unless there were freak waves. But it's a 8 mile long bridge and I'd hate to be stuck in the middle of it in this weather. I get weird vibes whenever I'm on it anyway, but I think that movie "Final Destination" did that to me!
I worry about taller vehicles tipping over in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35