Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how anyone thinks all the aid being sent to the Bahamas is going to help.
Yes they need food and water.
However, they NEED the bodies removed and they NEED shelter.
If those two things can't be immediately provided they NEED to be evacuated until they can.
This is fairly straight forward to me. Did we learn nothing from Katrina? That was nothing compared to this!
Get a hundred people in there specifically to recover all the bodies, or get the live people off the island.
Get some sort of shelter or structure in there, or get the live people off the island.
I realize it's not simple, but it's necessary.
They need sanitation ASAP, too. The survivors are going to start getting sick soon if they don't get the bodies out of there and establish decent sanitation.

I don't understand how anyone thinks all the aid being sent to the Bahamas is going to help.
Yes they need food and water.
However, they NEED the bodies removed and they NEED shelter.
If those two things can't be immediately provided they NEED to be evacuated until they can.
This is fairly straight forward to me. Did we learn nothing from Katrina? That was nothing compared to this!
Get a hundred people in there specifically to recover all the bodies, or get the live people off the island.
Get some sort of shelter or structure in there, or get the live people off the island.
I realize it's not simple, but it's necessary.
Perfect summary! Cut to the chase already!

"The State Emergency Response Team is working with Hyde County officials to push supplies to Ocracoke to recover from #DorianNC. Items include such as generators, food, water, fuel, and portable shower, potties and laundry facilities."

Ocracoke Island

Those are all the things needed in the Bahamas, ASAP.

ETA: And please bring some hay and grain to those 17 horses!

What on earth are they going to do with all that wreckage and debris? Barge it out? To where?

This really is a godawful mess.
That’s exactly what my Aunt & I were discussing yesterday. You see these huge piles of floating debris in the ocean, and everyone assumes it’s us humans throwing trash off boats. Umm, nope, Mother Nature has her very own personal version of trash dumping. It’s called a hurricane, tsunami, etc. If they can sort the wood at least that can be burned. But they can’t burn plastics and recycling the metal would be a nightmare task.

"The State Emergency Response Team is working with Hyde County officials to push supplies to Ocracoke to recover from #DorianNC. Items include such as generators, food, water, fuel, and portable shower, potties and laundry facilities."

Ocracoke Island

Those are all the things needed in the Bahamas, ASAP.
Exactly. They can bring those 800 people that intentionally ignored a mandatory evacuation order over to mainland in a day, park their butts in a hotel for a week or two until they can regain access to the island. Just my very annoyed opinion.

That’s exactly what my Aunt & I were discussing yesterday. You see these huge piles of floating debris in the ocean, and everyone assumes it’s us humans throwing trash off boats. Umm, nope, Mother Nature has her very own personal version of trash dumping. It’s called a hurricane, tsunami, etc. If they can sort the wood at least that can be burned. But they can’t burn plastics and recycling the metal would be a nightmare task.
I hope it doesn’t become the Great Atlantic Garbage Patch. Sheesh. So much waste.

I hope this works! Here's a link to a live webcam on the Confederation Bridge...the bridge that links PEI to New Brunswick. You can see the water getting progressively rougher.
"For user safety, the Confederation Bridge has restricted certain classes of vehicles from crossing until the current high wind situation changes. Restricted classes include automobiles towing trailers, motorcycles, highsided vehicles including trucks, tractor trailers, recreational vehicles, and buses. Bridge restrictions were put into place at 16:15hrs, September 07, 2019. You will be advised when the situation changes."

Home | The Confederation Bridge

I've been watching the bridge for a while and haven't seen any traffic on it. I hope people are hunkered down.

"Only two hurricanes have had their names retired because of Canadian impacts. Hurricane Juan of 2003 took a worst-case track and hit Halifax as a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds, killing 8 and causing $200 million (2003 USD) in damage. Juan is Canada’s most expensive hurricane on record. Hurricane Igor of 2010 brought catastrophic flooding to Newfoundland, where it dumped up to ten inches of rain. Igor’s price tag was $200 million (2010 USD)."
More Landfalls This Weekend: Dorian in Canada, Lingling in North Korea, Faxai in Japan

Last edited:
Approximately 200 other people had been additionally evacuated from Abaco Friday on Bahamasair flights, in accordance to a NEMA spokesperson who declined to be named.

“Free air evacuations on Bahamasair from Abaco started (Thursday) and will continue until all Grand Bahama and Abaco residents who want to leave are off the islands,” Prime Minister Hubert Minnis stated in a tweet.

Four survivors informed Reuters on Thursday they’d been charged $75 for a seat on a Bahamasair flight from Abaco to Nassau. “I thought a relief flight would be free,” stated Anthony Thompson, 27, who stated he paid the fare for himself, his spouse and his sister.

“I thought wrong.” A Bahamasair authentic, who asked anonymity, informed Reuters the airline was once gathering its consumers whose flights have been canceled right through the storm. To the level additional seats had been to be had, it was once providing to ferry others off Abaco “at cost,”
Thousands try to flee hurricane-devastated Bahamas islands – Moose Gazette

Pan American Health Organization
World Health Organization

HIGHLIGHTS
• WASH and food security remain critical needs on the islands affected. Management of dead bodies is expected to be a rising issue and hospital morgue capacity is also needed.
• At least 2,000 people continue to be various shelters in Great Abaco and Grand Bahama islands. The 800 that were seeking shelter at the Marsh Harbour Clinic (Abaco) have been relocated to a nearby high school.
• Cleaning operations and support is being provided for Rand Memorial Hospital (Grand Bahama) and Marsh Harbour Clinic (Abaco) including providing back-up generators and rotation of medical staff
• An EMT Medical Information and Coordination Cell (CICOM) has been established at the Ministry of Health in coordination with PAHO and EMT teams are in the process of arriving and deploying to affected areas.
• Due to the floodwaters and potential sewage contamination, the risk of diarrheal and waterborne diseases remains high. Additionally, other water borne infections such as leptospirosis could be a concern in the near future.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/PAHO Sit Rep 7 Dorian Sept6.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member