Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good god. What do papers even matter at this point? That can all be sorted out later. These people need help NOW.
Rapid DNA testing will prove who people are, just like they do at the southern border, you don't need a sheet of paper these days. It’s as if they prefer a dead body, instead of one “without papers.” Ridiculous.

Cholera would be the worst case scenario here. With the heat, dead bodies. I have a suspicion that we are not getting the complete picture from main stream media.
Cholera is a certainty. I expect to see quite a few headlines about it in the coming days. They need to get those people out of there - papers or no papers.

Article dated Jun 27:

#ALTHOUGH the Bahamas is predicted to have a "normal" hurricane season, Deputy Prime Minister K Peter Turnquest yesterday pointed out that it "only takes one storm to really cause devastation."

#He noted the major hurricanes of 2015, 2016, and 2017 cost the country approximately $820m.

#Speaking on the sidelines of the Bahamas National Disaster Preparedness Baseline Assessment (NDPBA) workshop, Mr Turnquest said "it is not a matter of 'if', but 'when' we will face a major catastrophe," as he stressed the importance of hurricane preparedness.

#Financial measures the government already has in place include a credit-line with the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and its participation in the Caribbean Catastrophic Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF), as well as a "self-funded" disaster relief fund, which the government hopes to grow to approximately $200m.

#When asked about this fund, Mr Turnquest said: "It's a part of our financial planning. When we revealed the budget, we indicated that we were going to set up a special fund for disaster relief, particularly to deal with the relief efforts that in the past has caused us to have to go and borrow. "And the traceability of it is difficult, getting it at a good rate is (difficult). So we want to see if we can help ourselves and build up this fund to an extent that we can take care of the most pressing and immediate needs in the event of an aftermath of a storm.

#"So, last year we made a $1m deposit into that fund, this year we will do the same. Eventually once we start to turn a surplus, we want to dedicate one per cent or a minimum of 0.1 per cent of our GDP to this disaster fund so that we build it up to an eventual $200m, to which then we can invest it and it can become self-sustainable. And again this is an effort, or one of the tools that we are putting into our bag, recognising that it is not a matter of if, but when we will face a major catastrophe, some natural disaster, in this country.
Turnquest: Prepare for hurricanes
$200 million? Are they serious? We are looking at billions in damage here.

Global Affairs Canada says a Canadian Armed Forces’ CC-130J Hercules aircraft was sent Friday to provide airlift support.

The large propeller-diven cargo aircraft will facilitate the deployment of the Jamaican Defence Force into the Bahamas.

A Canadian Disaster Assistance Team was sent to Nassau in the Bahamas earlier to determine how Canada can best help those affected by Hurricane Dorian along with $500,000 from the federal government
Canada sends additional military support to the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian

I took it ti mean they could not leave the Island to even go to Nassau or any other island.

The sound of silence from the government.....

Jmo
It's pathetic when all that stands between people and salvation is a piece of paper. Are governments really that divorced from actual people? My god, this world.

As a result, International Affairs Committee Chairperson on the Student’s Guild, Erwin Wills who is responsible for on-campus integration has appealed for donations in the form of money and supplies to assist them through school as their families get back on their feet.

“Hearing about the sad events that have been happening in the Bahamas has put a large dent on the morale at the campus in general as well and the Guild will not just stand by and watch our fellow CARICOM citizens suffer,” he told Barbados TODAY.

He revealed provisions had been set up on campus as part of a disaster plan in collaboration with the Barbados Youth Development Council to execute the effort.

“We have a disaster plan and we are ready to put that into effect. We are collaborating with the island associations on campus and the Barbados Youth Development Council and we are already formulating a plan in order to assist local Bahamian students on campus,” Wills said.

“So what we plan on doing is to have some barrels with donated supplies here in the guild so that students who are not able to access their funds or supplies back home for whatever reason, can come to the guild and get whatever they need until the worst of this storm passes or however long it would take disaster issues to be over.”

The initiative coincides with a huge effort being mobilised by the Government, that on Sunday will host a national telethon to raise funds.
Help sought for Bahamian students at UWI - Barbados Today

Yes- that’s what I mean! They can’t survive on Abaco- officials need to deal with documentation LATER & get them out NOW! Moo

I've kept up with this pretty well. I've not heard or seen goverment officials coming to the scene or visit the areas of destruction. They have hung these folks out to dry.

All the clips I've seen, MSM and Twitter, the folks are so grateful! They keep thanking the USand made it know the only help initially was the US Coast Guard.

I know the government said they don't own a helicopter but by George, The World Kitchen rented there own. Can't this government pay for anything? Was The PLAN all along to have the world clean up and take care of there citizens????

Jmo

"According to the UN, at least 70,000 Bahamians are in need of immediate humanitarian relief after their homes were destroyed by the hurricane. The islands have a population of about 400,000.

The PM and his government have been criticised for the speed of their response to the humanitarian crisis.

Chaotic air traffic control is said to be hampering relief and evacuations operations, the Miami Herald reports."

Hundreds flee chaos in storm-ravaged Bahamas

As a result, International Affairs Committee Chairperson on the Student’s Guild, Erwin Wills who is responsible for on-campus integration has appealed for donations in the form of money and supplies to assist them through school as their families get back on their feet.

“Hearing about the sad events that have been happening in the Bahamas has put a large dent on the morale at the campus in general as well and the Guild will not just stand by and watch our fellow CARICOM citizens suffer,” he told Barbados TODAY.

He revealed provisions had been set up on campus as part of a disaster plan in collaboration with the Barbados Youth Development Council to execute the effort.

“We have a disaster plan and we are ready to put that into effect. We are collaborating with the island associations on campus and the Barbados Youth Development Council and we are already formulating a plan in order to assist local Bahamian students on campus,” Wills said.

“So what we plan on doing is to have some barrels with donated supplies here in the guild so that students who are not able to access their funds or supplies back home for whatever reason, can come to the guild and get whatever they need until the worst of this storm passes or however long it would take disaster issues to be over.”

The initiative coincides with a huge effort being mobilised by the Government, that on Sunday will host a national telethon to raise funds.
Help sought for Bahamian students at UWI - Barbados Today

Well, that's just find and danny but rescue the folks trapped on Grand Bahama and the Island string need to be rescued before they go begging for school supplies.

They have a plan and will put into action... now its free school supplies.

What is wrong with this country????
Jmo....

I've kept up with this pretty well. I've not heard or seen goverment officials coming to the scene or visit the areas of destruction. They have hung these folks out to dry.

All the clips I've seen, MSM and Twitter, the folks are so grateful! They keep thanking the USand made it know the only help initially was the US Coast Guard.

I know the government said they don't own a helicopter but by George, The World Kitchen rented there own. Can't this government pay for anything? Was The PLAN all along to have the world clean up and take care of there citizens????

Jmo
If that was the plan, it's working. I haven't seen the Bahamian government lift a finger. They are leaving it for the rest of the world to sort out, apparently.

• Elizabeth Riley:

What has happened is that there's been significant congestion in the airspace around both Grand Bahama and Abaco, simply because persons are anxious to find out about relatives, so they're chartering private flights to go.

While this is well-intentioned, what it does do is to create a high level of congestion in the airspace. And unless this is regulated, it could potentially cause some constraints also in the relief efforts.
    The immense logistical challenges of emergency response in the Bahamas

"According to the UN, at least 70,000 Bahamians are in need of immediate humanitarian relief after their homes were destroyed by the hurricane. The islands have a population of about 400,000.

The PM and his government have been criticised for the speed of their response to the humanitarian crisis.

Chaotic air traffic control is said to be hampering relief and evacuations operations, the Miami Herald reports."

Hundreds flee chaos in storm-ravaged Bahamas

I know I have a friend that's running supplies to GB. He said, it a mess and wonder someone's not been killed. Its stupid to go into Sandy Point and wait 3 or 4 hours take off again and then go to GB.
These folks are using their personal planes and paying for their own gas.

For goodness sakes get the US in to do air traffic control.

I think the reason to go to SP first is to screen what is being delivered and they can take what they need for themselves first.

Jmo

"All of the donations are welcome, but they can also, very much, assist us by still visiting the islands of the Bahamas in the unaffected areas. They are open for business," said Ellison Thompson, the deputy director general of the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.

The Bahamas depend heavily on tourism, which supplies half their annual gross domestic product of $5.7 billion, according to the Bahamas Investment Authority. By comparison, tourism brings in 20% of Hawaii's annual GDP and less than 3% of the GDP of the United States.
Tourist-dependent Bahamas says it's still open for business

Seems like they stage in the larger city and tell the people to come get water/food/etc.
How in the heck are they supposed to get there? Although the chances of getting water and food might be better in a designated shelter. But I think people thought this was just another hurricane and hunkered down in their homes. JMO

"All of the donations are welcome, but they can also, very much, assist us by still visiting the islands of the Bahamas in the unaffected areas. They are open for business," said Ellison Thompson, the deputy director general of the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.

The Bahamas depend heavily on tourism, which supplies half their annual gross domestic product of $5.7 billion, according to the Bahamas Investment Authority. By comparison, tourism brings in 20% of Hawaii's annual GDP and less than 3% of the GDP of the United States.
Tourist-dependent Bahamas says it's still open for business
Yeah, okay. WHO on earth could go to the Bahamas right now for pleasure? That's just profane. What is she suggesting? That we all go to the Bahamas and party it up while hundreds of people are dying and thousands are in dire straits? WTH is the matter with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru