Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximately 200 other people had been additionally evacuated from Abaco Friday on Bahamasair flights, in accordance to a NEMA spokesperson who declined to be named.

“Free air evacuations on Bahamasair from Abaco started (Thursday) and will continue until all Grand Bahama and Abaco residents who want to leave are off the islands,” Prime Minister Hubert Minnis stated in a tweet.

Four survivors informed Reuters on Thursday they’d been charged $75 for a seat on a Bahamasair flight from Abaco to Nassau. “I thought a relief flight would be free,” stated Anthony Thompson, 27, who stated he paid the fare for himself, his spouse and his sister.

“I thought wrong.” A Bahamasair authentic, who asked anonymity, informed Reuters the airline was once gathering its consumers whose flights have been canceled right through the storm. To the level additional seats had been to be had, it was once providing to ferry others off Abaco “at cost,”
Thousands try to flee hurricane-devastated Bahamas islands – Moose Gazette
hmmmm....so which is it? Free evacuation flights or $75 a seat? It's heinous if they are charging people. WTH is wrong with the government down there?

Confederation Bridge:

CURRENT WIND SPEED

Date/Time
Temp Speed Gusts Dir
09/07/2019 05:41:00 pm 12°C 68 km/h 90 km/h ENE
09/07/2019 05:35:00 pm 12°C 72 km/h 91 km/h ENE
09/07/2019 05:29:00 pm 12°C 74 km/h 90 km/h ENE
09/07/2019 05:23:00 pm 12°C 74 km/h 92 km/h ENE

ETA: I've become obsessed with this bridge for some reason. But, it gives a good idea of the winds up there.

I don't understand how anyone thinks all the aid being sent to the Bahamas is going to help.
Yes they need food and water.
However, they NEED the bodies removed and they NEED shelter.
If those two things can't be immediately provided they NEED to be evacuated until they can.
This is fairly straight forward to me. Did we learn nothing from Katrina? That was nothing compared to this!
Get a hundred people in there specifically to recover all the bodies, or get the live people off the island.
Get some sort of shelter or structure in there, or get the live people off the island.
I realize it's not simple, but it's necessary.

This is what happen when the government doesn't have A PLAN.

After Hurricane Fran, NC developed an extensive program that required all depts to work as a team. One person from every emergency management department is located in the same building to coordinate as a team. This plan worked so well, Florida hired the guy who developed this.

Working 40 plus years in medical management on the east coast, emergency plans are taken very seriously. Teams are pre established, supplies and staff are lined up and ready to roll before the storms ever touches land. Cities and counties practice, have drills, meet and constantly revise these plans. It becomes learned behavior and we don't have to even think about the steps, they are in our memory.

It is clear, the Bahamas had no plan!! No one knew what to do. From Twitter, the government is in meeting after meeting, photo shoots of dignitaries from surround Islands visiting to offer help. The US Coast guard was the first on site, thank God for these fine folks. They knew what to do, didn't have to even think about it. World Centeral Kitchen was staged, had food, volunteers and were rolling, immediately!!! Thank God for these folks or the Bahamas would have starved to death.

Yes, they need to get the bodies out, that is the least they can do and not doing that very well. Some areas the US Coast Guard is turning way relieve efforts due to violence, Where the devil is the police force???? Many Caribbean Nations have "committed" police assistance...where are they. Heck they are close than the US!!

They have no shelters, it'sclear!!!! They did not plan for any type of disaster. I just hope all the money being donated is not controlled by the Bahama government cause, I don't believe the folks will see this money spent to rebuild.

I hope these folks are able to get off the island. It does appear to be unhabitable at this point. Even if, they rebuild, I think folks will think twice about vacationing in this area. Its beautiful but, very dangerous under the current government.

This is just my opinion....

United States Attorney Aaron Weisman is warning online users of scammers targeting Hurricane Dorian disaster victims and possible donors.

“We have all seen the heartbreaking pictures and heard the heart-wrenching details of the devastation hundreds of thousands of people are experiencing in the wake of Hurricane Dorian. Sadly, there are always heartless, greedy individuals waiting to pounce on the kindness of others and victimize them,” said Weisman.

Those who believe they have been a victim are asked to file a complaint with the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center.

GoLocalProv | News | U.S. Attorney Warns of Scams Targeting Hurricane Dorian Disaster Victims & Donors

After Hurricane Fran, NC developed an extensive program that required all depts to work as a team. One person from every emergency management department is located in the same building to coordinate as a team. This plan worked so well, Florida hired the guy who developed this.

Working 40 plus years in medical management on the east coast, emergency plans are taken very seriously. Teams are pre established, supplies and staff are lined up and ready to roll before the storms ever touches land. Cities and counties practice, have drills, meet and constantly revise these plans. It becomes learned behavior and we don't have to even think about the steps, they are in our memory.

It is clear, the Bahamas had no plan!! No one knew what to do. From Twitter, the government is in meeting after meeting, photo shoots of dignitaries from surround Islands visiting to offer help. The US Coast guard was the first on site, thank God for these fine folks. They knew what to do, didn't have to even think about it. World Centeral Kitchen was staged, had food, volunteers and were rolling, immediately!!! Thank God for these folks or the Bahamas would have starved to death.

Yes, they need to get the bodies out, that is the least they can do and not doing that very well. Some areas the US Coast Guard is turning way relieve efforts due to violence, Where the devil is the police force???? Many Caribbean Nations have "committed" police assistance...where are they. Heck they are close than the US!!

They have no shelters, it clear!!!! They did not plan for any type of disaster. I just hope all the money being donated is not controlled by the Bahama government cause, I don't believe the folks will see this money spent to rebuild.

I hope these folks are able to get off the island. It does appear to be unhabitable at this point. Even if, they rebuild, I think folks will think twice about vacationing in this area. Its beautiful but, very dangerous under the current government.

I totally agree with everything you said. All I see is a lot of confusion and very little constructive activity.

hmmmm....so which is it? Free evacuation flights or $75 a seat? It's heinous if they are charging people. WTH is wrong with the government down there?
Government there...……...………..Notice how quickly many other Caribbean Islands rebuild and rebound fairly quickly after a hurricane? Grand Bahama isn't one of them. I get that this one was epic but we have seen on our past trips things had not even recovered from Hurricane Matthew. Just sayin...… Items are incredibly expensive. Especially paper products. I get that it has to be shipped in but a small jar of Instant coffee 20.00 U.S. 4 roll pack of toilet paper as high as 18.00 U.S. We always took our own coffee and stuffed as many rolls of toilet paper in our luggage, golf bags, carry on etc. Even more for us Canadians paying in U.S. dollars.

They have no shelters, it'sclear!!!! They did not plan for any type of disaster. I just hope all the money being donated is not controlled by the Bahama government cause, I don't believe the folks will see this money spent to rebuild.

I'm a veteran of 22 years active duty military, much of it on the east coast of the US. We drilled this stuff over and over to the most minute detail. For the Bahamas not to have a robust emergency plan in place is just ridiculous.

"The State Emergency Response Team is working with Hyde County officials to push supplies to Ocracoke to recover from #DorianNC. Items include such as generators, food, water, fuel, and portable shower, potties and laundry facilities."

Ocracoke Island

Those are all the things needed in the Bahamas, ASAP.

ETA: And please bring some hay and grain to those 17 horses!

The horses will be well cared for. They have many supporters!!!!friends

I love these horses and follow all the Facebook pages for years.

They are beautiful to see running on the beach. So wild and free. Everyone protects them. You can't help but love them.

The biggest threat to the horses are intoxicated tourist.

Jmho

Hey guys! Just checking in! Our power has been out for a while now. The wind is getting bad, and the rain is pretty heavy. My husband and daughter are having a Pokemon card battle by head flashlights and I'm cuddling the dogs, so we're all doing okay so far!

Half my family is in Nova Scotia. One of my cousins is posting updates on facebook - no power, her street is impassable due to trees down but she sounds quite calm - got candles going and listening to the US Open on old school radio apparently!

I'm a veteran of 22 years active duty military, much of it on the east coast of the US. We drilled this stuff over and over to the most minute detail. For the Bahamas not to have a robust emergency plan in place is just ridiculous.

I totally agree.

They are not a poor country !!! Tourism is the main revenue source. They knew they were at risk, but the government choose to ignore the risk of life for all.

Heck, the government is not even helping to get food to the Island, its all being done by private and humanitarian groups.

Jmho

Hey guys! Just checking in! Our power has been out for a while now. The wind is getting bad, and the rain is pretty heavy. My husband and daughter are having a Pokemon card battle by head flashlights and I'm cuddling the dogs, so we're all doing okay so far!
I was just about to bug you for an update @pugmom. I'm sorry things are deteriorating, but thank you so much for checking in!

I totally agree.

They are not a poor country !!! Tourism is the main revenue source. They knew they were at risk, but the government choose to ignore the risk of life for all.

Heck, the government is not even helping to get food to the Island, its all being done by private and humanitarian groups.

Jmho
There is a ton of poverty there and crime is high. Yes there is wealth but a lot of the wealth is visible by folks who build mansions for a vacay home. It once was a hot spot for the rich and famous. Those days are long gone.

I was just about to bug you for an update @pugmom. I'm sorry things are deteriorating, but thank you so much for checking in!
Oh, it wouldn't be bugging me! I appreciate the care and concern! I think of Websleuths members as part of my extended family. I have never seen so many great, supportive people in one place in my entire life. With how snarky and mean some areas of the internet can be, it's nice to know there's a welcoming place out there. You all are the best! Thanks!

I totally agree.

Jmho
You'd think they would at least have a stockpile of MREs and water stashed in a concrete bunker or something. I'm not even kidding.

There is a ton of poverty there and crime is high. Yes there is wealth but a lot of the wealth is visible by folks who build mansions for a vacay home. It once was a hot spot for the rich and famous. Those days are long gone.

I agree. When the government doesn't appreciate and take care of the resources it has.... beautiful area, people, etc. Then the risk of revenue and stability is unsecured and of great risk.

Why do we keep rebuilding the NC coast?? Because of tourism!!!

Jmho

I agree. When the government doesn't appreciate and take care of the resources it has.... beautiful area, people, etc. Then the risk of revenue and stability is unsecured and of great risk.

Why do we keep rebuilding the NC coast?? Because of tourism!!!

Jmho
I think it's fair to assume tourism revenue will be down/non-existent for the forseeable future. Years, probably. China has been actively investing in Bahamas tourism, but I don't know how interested there are in building it from scratch. I don't think the Bahamas itself has the money to rebuild all this. IF it is rebuilt, it will be foreign investors that build it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay