Hurricane Gustav

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi y'all, I'm a newbie sortof..LOL I don't know who this Gov. Jindal is (never really heard of him much before) but he is doing a PHENOMINAL job!!!!!!!! What a world of difference in leadership compared to the lady gov back when Katrina hit. I don't know what his party affiliation is (don't matter to me as I always vote for the 'person' and not for the 'party')....but if he were on the presidential ballot I would vote for him just based on his 'proactivness' on this potentially disastrous situation alone....all prayers are lifted up to heaven from my lips to G*d"s ears...lets just hope there is a New Orleans left after Gustav gets done...I mean after K hit I dunno how much more this city can take & still be a 'city'?? And then...there's G's gf out there...Ms. Hanna....following her bf....but will she follow his exact lead? Only time (and not much of it) will tell. I'm in Austin (tx) and don't have any family out that way altho I did go to junior hs (back in the late 60's....boy am I 'dating' myself or what? LOL) in Westlake,La....which is across the bridge from Lake Charles...this is very scary but at least it's wayyyyyy much more 'organized' than when Katrina hit!

Jindal is awesome. He ran against "the lady gov" before she was elected, and I attended one of the debates. He is absolutely brilliant, she stood there with her mouth gaping open and how she got elected, I'll never know! But thankfully, he is governor now.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion, but y'all keep your eyes on Bobby Jindal. He's going to be our president one day.

kgeaux--- I see you are from La. --- I hope your loved ones and extended family are all ok?

I don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion, but y'all keep your eyes on Bobby Jindal. He's going to be our president one day.

I was just watching him give an update on CNN and I was thinking the exact same thing. He has done a remarkable job with a bad situation. I am sure the people of LA are grateful. It seems they have covered every base to keep everyone as safe as possible. I am super impressed!

kgeaux--- I see you are from La. --- I hope your loved ones and extended family are all ok?

Everyone that I've been able to reach is fine. The phone system is super busy right now, so nine times out of ten you hear "all circuits are busy right now!" and can't get through. Land line and Cell phones are working, which is a tremendous improvement over the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, but everyone here is trying at once!

All five of my boys are ok, my parents and mil are fine, my 101 year old granny is fine! Some of us have property damage, but none of us care about that too much right now---all very grateful for each other and all grateful that the loss of life was (while tragic) so very low.

Kgeaux glad to hear you made it through. I was wondering about you. That is weird to hear about your flowers, I would have thought at least the base of the plant would have held on. Sorry to hear about the tree, that must have been like losing an old friend. Still, you are safe and your home is safe. So anything else is minor, right?

We got hit pretty bad yesterday with rain and wind in S.ARK. We are still under flash flood warnings and a tornado watch. And the river is pretty high, and knowing my family's history with this particular river, I'm looking for somewhere else to go out of the river's way. Hopefully, today the rain will stop and we won't go anywhere. I am beginning to think I need to get building an ark.:eek:

just checking in to report ...im fine LOL

we went to my other uncle's house monday morning and stayed there till the worst was over, then came home. our roof has a new leak, but it needed a new coat of tar anyway haha. (yes, i am trailer trash)

our electric just came on about 20 minutes ago and as soon as the ac cools it off in here enough, im gonna sleep for a week! i havent slept since sunday night, im a bit out of it.

i understand ike and josephine are still out there, so i better get a nap LOL

my family is also ok, but one of my cousins who lives in gonzalez (south of baton rouge) had a big tree go through the middle of their house. fortunately they werent in it at the time.

o.k. here :) I THINK maybe it has stopped raining.....seemed like we were going to drown...:)

o.k. here :) I THINK maybe it has stopped raining.....seemed like we were going to drown...:)

I hear you MsPooh. It finally quit raining here at around 5, and I actually saw a bit of blue sky. Still need building plans for the ark though. :crazy:

Glad to hear you are all okay. tez, don't take chances with the river. Leave if you feel threatened.

Glad to hear you are all okay. tez, don't take chances with the river. Leave if you feel threatened.

Thanks Cali! We didn't leave, but we got a phone call late last night and a tree fell right against my in-law's trailer. So, when I went to work this morning, Mr. Tez went with me and took care of things for them. My FIL is in a wheelchair, so we let our boy who is 16 stay home and help. I guess the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been, so they will be OK. They have been through so much the last three years, I just hated to think this was one more thing they would have to bear. But, thankfully, it looks like things will be easily fixed!:eek:

Hi all! We left Sat night and it took 11 hours to reach Birmingham. We stayed with my Aunt in Calera, Alabama.

Dh went to LA yesterday, as soon as he could after they allowed re-entry and we still don't have water, power, or sewer.

Northshore was on the nasty side and we had wide spread flooding (two rivers join together close to my house) along with many bayous, marshes and of course Lake Pontrachain. There is only a 3 foot sea wall on the North side of Pontrachain. Many twisters and a lot of wind as well. Lots of trees down.

BUT, my house is fine! Thank G-d!

We left my families house after we found out my house was safe and I relaxed. We checked into a hotel and took it easy yesterday and today.

Dh is about an hour away at this point (nearly 10 am cst) and we are going home!! Told the kids it's like wilderness camping so they are excited to sleep in tents. Too hot to sleep indoors.

Last estimate is that power will take from this weekend to 3 weeks to be back on. We are under a boil order when we do get water back on. But I don't care....I'm going home!!

I do have a prayer request. My landlady lives right outside Baton Rouge and her house was totally destroyed from a tree. She's a very sweet lady and under a huge amount of stress. Please do send her prayers. Her brother, grandson and friend are all okay, thankfully she made them go to work with her (she's a nurse) and they rode out the storm at the hospital.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Please keep all those that are now recovering in you prayers.

Good to hear that all are coming out pretty much ok. Though I realize that even though structures are ok, you still have minor repairs and clean up to do. BhamMama, prayers are for your landlady and for you too. Also, Mira's cousin and Tez'a in-laws. I like the way BhamMama describes it like it is a camping trip. Don't let it get you down.

Still without power at home. Cable, internet phones are out.

At office, BR office has power and internet.

At last, I can connect to the world.

I do have a prayer request. My landlady lives right outside Baton Rouge and her house was totally destroyed from a tree. She's a very sweet lady and under a huge amount of stress. Please do send her prayers. Her brother, grandson and friend are all okay, thankfully she made them go to work with her (she's a nurse) and they rode out the storm at the hospital.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Please keep all those that are now recovering in you prayers.

Praying for you, and for your landlady. Giving thanks that you and yours are safe! Gotta say, it better not take three weeks to get your power back cuz Jindal has made it clear these utility companies better get things going MUCh faster than that!

It's cool out tonight, isn't it? Such a relief from the horrible heat we usually are surrounded by post hurricane.

Tenting is FUN! I almost wish I was out there with you!

Still without power at home. Cable, internet phones are out.

At office, BR office has power and internet.

At last, I can connect to the world.

WooHoo! It is wonderful to be able to reach out and make a connection, isn't it??? I am sorry you are without power, but you haven't mentioned damage to your home, etc.....so I'm reading that to mean your home and family are fine. Do you have a generator to help keep your fridge/freezer/fans going?

Well we made it out okay, Im in lake charles la. Nothing happened much here. Although im pretty upset my parish is the only one left out of any help from Fema. We had to evacuate and it put us in a bind.

Praying for you, and for your landlady. Giving thanks that you and yours are safe! Gotta say, it better not take three weeks to get your power back cuz Jindal has made it clear these utility companies better get things going MUCh faster than that!

It's cool out tonight, isn't it? Such a relief from the horrible heat we usually are surrounded by post hurricane.

Tenting is FUN! I almost wish I was out there with you!

Thankfully we got power not long after we arrived. My kids were not happy they were not going camping like planned.

It is cool tonight. It felt lovely. We sat out and watched the stars for a bit. I've not seen them this bright for some time.

We have cable, internet, water (though we have to boil it), power and gas. We are good to go.

I'm so grateful to all the out of state folks helping. They've done a kick *advertiser censored* job alongside our guys. Our Parish prez is a pretty cool guy too. He's been really pushing for help for those folks who really need it. Thankfully, we are not in need.

I hope that everyone's recovery is going well. We have the truck unloaded and I have my pc's up and the food out of the cooler. I did clean the fridge since it was empty but that's about all I plan on doing before crashing. I do have to heat water to bathe with, I may just boil water in my electric kettle a couple of times and take a real quick, real country like, sink bath lol.

My poor dh has been asleep for a couple of hours. He drove 1400 miles in 5 days time. He's so sore! I'm glad it's the weekend so he can rest.

Thank you so much for the good thoughts and prayers. They really did comfort me while I was so worried this past week.

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as expected, but sorry about all the troubles. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected.

We will be watching with you for Ike too. Gustav backed off at the last minute and now it seems like a lot of hoohoo over nothing but a really bad storm. But we can't forget Katrina, we must remember that with each one, this one could be the bad one.

We evacuated on Sunday, before Gustav hit. We were in contraflow traffic on I-59 for 12 hours. We finally reached Moss Point Ms at about 10 Sunday evening stayed in a hotel until Tuesday am, we were unable to get back home due to road closures so we came to family here in Alabama. Needless to say we are still here, we still have downed power poles , so no power in Lafourche Parish. So we are still in Alabama. Now we are waiting to see what Ike may do before returning.Thank you all for prayers and thoughts, also am glad others made it throught well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back