Hurricane Gustav

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are there actually people staying behind to report the news??? OMG!!!!

Yep, I'm watching CBS and they have people in Houma (sp) and NO.

Poco and anyone else who is in or near the path and wants to, I've never been in a hurricane. Want to share what you are seeing, hearing, feeling right now? Some people like to talk about it, some don't. But I am interested if you want to share.

I've been unable to pull myself away from wdsu (dtv 361) other than to switch to the weather channel (to watch mainly Jim C at Houma). They've frozen up a few times and went completely off for a spell. (the online link is http://www.wdsu.com/index.html -- their local tv station I gather).Thankfully this moster is weakening but prayers for all down that way continue...
Edited -- wrong link

I am in Florida, so out of harms way......

Have been on the internet since 5 a.m. watching, reading, etc.

Time to get busy.

Well - the prediction was "the mother of all storms" - "the storm of the century" (Nagin, I think). Fortunately for New Orleans - the storm moved far enough west so as to minimize a more major storm to that area.

Gustav was expected and/or predicted to grow to a CAT 4 - possibly even a CAT 5. Instead it has been downsized to a CAT 2 and will be stalling out sooner than later. Thank Goodness!

The devastation of Katrina, 3 yrs ago, really put the fear of *what's possible* into everyone.

Blessings to all in the Gulf Coast area. Stay safe, you guys!

Rummy :cat:

Well - the prediction was "the mother of all storms" - "the storm of the century" (Nagin, I think). Fortunately for New Orleans - the storm moved far enough west so as to minimize a more major storm to that area.

Gustav was expected and/or predicted to grow to a CAT 4 - possibly even a CAT 5. Instead it has been downsized to a CAT 2 and will be stalling out sooner than later. Thank Goodness!

The devastation of Katrina, 3 yrs ago, really put the fear of *what's possible* into everyone.

Blessings to all in the Gulf Coast area. Stay safe, you guys!

Rummy :cat:

Just goes to show prayer works.
:blowkiss:

According to CNN, one of the levees was hit by a barge and has already sprung a leak. The 9th ward is beginning to flood.

Hard to believe this is happening again--so soon after Katrina.

A good friend of mine from New Orleans and her family and neighbors are in Nashville ,Tenn. they are paid up till thursday after that if they can't go home she said , "I don't know what we';ll do"--- i told her , I do-- they are ALL , all 17 are invited here !!! My house isnt so big .. 3 bedrooms- just one being a guestroom but i can make room with pallets..etc.

She's so upset-- they just financially got their house fully done 6 months ago.( financially tie ups) and now this.........I reminded her ..things can be replaced but yet i do understand her pain.

KUDOS to the mayor - "all looters will be taken straight to the "Big House."

From what I can see, I believe the coastal areas to the west of New Orleans are more sparsely populated but, yes, I do believe they all have had a mandatory evacuation too - I believe the evacuation extends south of a certain area the whole ways over to Mobile towards the east - not sure about how far on the west.

Poco, Did you see the press conference when he actually said this? Man, he was serious and his team with him couldnt help but crack a smile.

I heard him earlier today on phone, and the reporter ask about 'looters; and he said we had one this morning..he's on bus NOW to Angola....:woohoo:..he means "bizness..no doubt!

I have been watching Anderson Cooper ( one of my hero's -I dont care which way he 'swings" i think he';s aweome:rolleyes:) live at New Orleans--
I put it on Fox for a bit and Gerlado, (drama king) got on my nerves so bad..i had to change it back to CNN! :crazy:

Praise the Lord it weakened some before landfall! It could have been much worse.

Everything is okay here in South Alabama. We continue to get tornado warnings and sudden bursts of wind and rain. No damage that we can yet see other than an limb from a huge oak on the ground.

Kentucky good to see you back and great to see you with good news! Did you get much rain?

THANK GOD!!

Still praying when they really check things out ;the damage will be only very little !

I saw some images of some significant flooding on the TV this evening, somewhere in NO. The media sort of downplayed it, but I saw water almost up to the top of street signs. Likely the lower 9th ward.

My love and prayers to all the WSers (and others) who are weathering this storm. We lost our home to Hurrican Hugo back in 1989 and I am well-versed in the type of anxiety, headache and heartache that these storms cause.

I saw some images of some significant flooding on the TV this evening, somewhere in NO. The media sort of downplayed it, but I saw water almost up to the top of street signs. Likely the lower 9th ward.

I saw that too-- thought for a second it was past pic of Katrina than realized it was Gustav (now ) I am really praying things are not bad.

Always nice to see you DK!:)

Yep, I'm watching CBS and they have people in Houma (sp) and NO.

Poco and anyone else who is in or near the path and wants to, I've never been in a hurricane. Want to share what you are seeing, hearing, feeling right now? Some people like to talk about it, some don't. But I am interested if you want to share.

After getting hit head on by Charley, I have post traumatic storm disorder so this time of year is nothing short of nerve wrenching. Fear of another landing on top of fear of anyone else getting hit and that's coming from a native Floridian that never paid much attention to the tropical tantrums until 2004. To see Gustav simmer down was awesome!

Of COURSE there were people who stayed behind! There's always those who stay behind! I am very worried today to hear about the folks in Houma and other areas who braved Gustav's fury before it toned down. Especially the ones who stayed on their shrimp boats....

I'm in Lafayette, and we stayed home. We were not under evacuation orders, and our mayor actually said he and his staff couldn't even imagine a scenario that would make them call for mandatory evacuation.....we catch the hurricanes, but we are far enough away from water to where tide surge isn't an issue. He did recommend that people in trailers, those in low-lying areas or those with trees in dangerous positions leave, and lots of them did.

We had a very interesting day yesterday. The winds were high---I can't wait to find out what it gusted to---and the rain was steady but very slow. Almost a peaceful amount of rain, if you can imagine that occuring inside of seemed like hurricane force winds! We had all been told to watch for rising water, but honestly, the rain was SO slow that the drainage system had no problems keeping up.

Now those winds......that was a sight to behold. And the sound of the wind was like a hundred jets flying overhead! Some of the plants from my garden were UPROOTED....I'm talking little things like coneflowers and blackeyed susan's.....I still can't figure out how it happened, even though I watched it with my own eyes. The plants were just torn from the ground...My neighbor had a good many of his roofing tiles fly off, but he's needed a new roof for years. (Poor guy was praying he'd have damage so insurance would buy his new roof.) Another neighbor lost two trees, one of which fell onto his home and one of which fell onto another neighbor's home, but thankfully the damage seems to be as minor as it can be with a tree on top of your home. Their trampoline wasn't anchored, and it went for a short flight into yet ANOTHER neighbor's yard.

My home stayed safe, but one of my very well cared for oak trees in my front yard bit the dust. This tree has been trimmed and cared for by professionals for years and there wasn't a speck of dead wood on it, but the trunk just suddenly burst apart. Thank God it just fell onto the lawn and didn't cause damage to anything. I cannot tell you how shocked I was to watch that tree go over.....I NEVER would have believed it. Never.

Our power was out for under three hours.

We were blessed, blessed, blessed. And our prayers are with those who suffered so much more damage than us. And so many did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScoopyC
Back