Hurricane Gustav

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Im watching the Louisiana govenor on FOX. This is really scary. Im hundreds of miles away and Im still scared! I have to say they have done an awesome job evacuating the coastal areas. Everyone stay safe.

Hi y'all, I'm a newbie sortof..LOL I don't know who this Gov. Jindal is (never really heard of him much before) but he is doing a PHENOMINAL job!!!!!!!! What a world of difference in leadership compared to the lady gov back when Katrina hit. I don't know what his party affiliation is (don't matter to me as I always vote for the 'person' and not for the 'party')....but if he were on the presidential ballot I would vote for him just based on his 'proactivness' on this potentially disastrous situation alone....all prayers are lifted up to heaven from my lips to G*d"s ears...lets just hope there is a New Orleans left after Gustav gets done...I mean after K hit I dunno how much more this city can take & still be a 'city'?? And then...there's G's gf out there...Ms. Hanna....following her bf....but will she follow his exact lead? Only time (and not much of it) will tell. I'm in Austin (tx) and don't have any family out that way altho I did go to junior hs (back in the late 60's....boy am I 'dating' myself or what? LOL) in Westlake,La....which is across the bridge from Lake Charles...this is very scary but at least it's wayyyyyy much more 'organized' than when Katrina hit!

Gov. Jindal is on the radio now. He said we have successfully evacuated 1.9 million people from coastal La and estimated that only 10,000 people remain in the Greater New Orleans area. He also noted that he has been told that 3 critically ill patients have died during evacuation, one of whom had a Do Not Resucitate Order. He added that these deaths are not confirmed at this time, but that he believes the report.

I live in Northeast La where we expect strong winds, some flooding and power outages, and probably tornadoes from H. Gustov. All the towns around here are fully involved in helping the evacuees as we were during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We have many shelters for people and animals through The Red Cross and through many individual churches, etc.

I am very proud of Northeast La's response during times like these, and I offer my continued prayers for those who have had to leave their homes behind.

Hi y'all, I'm a newbie sortof..LOL I don't know who this Gov. Jindal is (never really heard of him much before) but he is doing a PHENOMINAL job!!!!!!!! What a world of difference in leadership compared to the lady gov back when Katrina hit. I don't know what his party affiliation is (don't matter to me as I always vote for the 'person' and not for the 'party')....but if he were on the presidential ballot I would vote for him just based on his 'proactivness' on this potentially disastrous situation alone....all prayers are lifted up to heaven from my lips to G*d"s ears...lets just hope there is a New Orleans left after Gustav gets done...I mean after K hit I dunno how much more this city can take & still be a 'city'?? And then...there's G's gf out there...Ms. Hanna....following her bf....but will she follow his exact lead? Only time (and not much of it) will tell. I'm in Austin (tx) and don't have any family out that way altho I did go to junior hs (back in the late 60's....boy am I 'dating' myself or what? LOL) in Westlake,La....which is across the bridge from Lake Charles...this is very scary but at least it's wayyyyyy much more 'organized' than when Katrina hit!

Hi Cindy, I hope you keep posting more often! I really like your style of writing.
Hoping to see you more often, montana

We were originally in Gustav's path. We're from Terrebonne Parish, right in the path of the storm. We hauled it though. I'm typing this from Arkansas. You can't see what we saw for Katrina and stay in the path of a storm like this with a right mind. We have family that stayed, though. All we can do is pray for those that chose to stay and hope that we have homes to come home to and that our family is safe.

Hi Cindy, I hope you keep posting more often! I really like your style of writing.
Hoping to see you more often, montana

Thanks! That was very sweet of you to say! :blowkiss:

i am about 80 miles north of new orleans. it is gusting wind and blowing rain already. (both minor) we will decide whether to go in the morning.

if gustav turns just a little to the west we will be fine. if not, we will go to my other uncles house. its nearby but a brick house (we live in a trailer)

we stayed through katrina, and i swore i would never do that again! was awful and scary for hours. usually storms dont hit us too bad here, but...

everybody be safe. i always feel guilty for wishing/hoping for a storm to turn. it means somebody else will get it :(

Cindy,
Without stealing this thread,I agree about Jingal. He seems to be a great govenor and was on the short list for McCain's VP.
Does anyone know how this storm is compared to Katrina at this point? I know Katrina landed as a Cat.3. also,but is the predicted storm surge the same,are the winds stronger at this point? Is it moving faster? Slower?

Mira, please reconsider and go to your uncles. A mobile home takes a lot less than 204 miles winds to be destroyed. If you stay at home, you gain nothing but risk a lot. If you leave you could gain a lot. Your memory of Katrina is reminding you of how to protect yourself, please listen.

Cindy,
Without stealing this thread,I agree about Jingal. He seems to be a great govenor and was on the short list for McCain's VP.
Does anyone know how this storm is compared to Katrina at this point? I know Katrina landed as a Cat.3. also,but is the predicted storm surge the same,are the winds stronger at this point? Is it moving faster? Slower?

I didn't know Jingal was on the vp list? Heck, I didn't even know he was rep? I don't know the answers yet to your questions....currently am glued to Fox news....this is scary regardless of the comparison to K (personally, looks to me imo to be the equivalent or slightly worse than K) but that's just a guess:confused:

Hunkered down in Baton Rouge and just waiting. A little rain, light wind and tornado warnings at the moment.

We were originally in Gustav's path. We're from Terrebonne Parish, right in the path of the storm. We hauled it though. I'm typing this from Arkansas. You can't see what we saw for Katrina and stay in the path of a storm like this with a right mind. We have family that stayed, though. All we can do is pray for those that chose to stay and hope that we have homes to come home to and that our family is safe.

I will be praying for your family.

Mira, please reconsider and go to your uncles. A mobile home takes a lot less than 204 miles winds to be destroyed. If you stay at home, you gain nothing but risk a lot. If you leave you could gain a lot. Your memory of Katrina is reminding you of how to protect yourself, please listen.

thank you for your concern. dont worry, if gustav doesnt turn, we will go. katrina took all my storm courage with her lol. even andrew, who took off all the shingles off our then house, while we listened and boarded windows as they broke on the east side of the house. it was just an adventure LOL.

not this time!

Biloxi Beach but ran home to mommy & daddy in Mobile, AL until after Gustav. Just to let everyone know about I-10 traffic....a drive that usually takes me 45 minutes took me 5 1/2 hrs!!!

My brother is staying in a hotel in Mobile, AL...right on or slightly north of Interstate 10. If I'm understanding correctly, there is now a mandatory evacuation for south of Interstate 10 in Mobile County. Stay safe!

ETA: Mobile is where he first lived, when he moved to the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScoopyC
Back