DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AHHH

just saw new video of the main shelter

packed

NEESAKI ... who is In Cypress? is everything all right for you, your friends/family? praying for ya.

Oh dear ... I hope if they left that it wasn't a tremendous difficulty ... I imagine even driving anywhere would be full of obstacles to thwart an easy getaway. Prayers and hopes. Keep us posted on geevee if you hear anything more, Hope4.

Hi Spellbound! My son has a friend who lives in Cypress so I've been concerned about him, I have no family there although I do have some extended family scattered about the Houston area. This is such an unbelievably horrific situation, I think I'm having a hard time accepting it's actually happening. :(

The health dangers from Hurricane Harvey’s floods

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ricane-harveys-floods/?utm_term=.be2c4fd3d78f

Short term: Floodwater injuries

Short term: Infectious disease:

A flood contains more than rain. Sewage systems spill their guts. And the water can dredge up things more disturbing, if less infectious, than human waste. In New Orleans in 2005, the flooding from Hurricane Katrina exhumed corpses, sending coffins afloat through neighborhoods.

It is not easy to predict the nasty microbes that will strike. “We don't have enough epidemiological studies,” Hotez said. But Hurricane Katrina, which hit land at the same time of the year as Harvey, could offer some lessons. Health officials are urging people to get tetanus booster shots to protect themselves against the disease, which enters the body through cuts. Skin infections could be caused by exposure to MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant staphylococcus bacterium, as well as pathogens popularly described as “flesh-eating.” (What about more exotic germs, such as the one that causes cholera? “Certainly the conditions here could promote cholera,” Hotez said, “but you’d have to have somebody infected with cholera coming into the area.")

Stress jeopardizes immune systems, and it is difficult to maintain food hygiene in disaster zones. Katrina unleashed gut diseases triggered by E. coli and a lack of safe food and potable water. Add crowded conditions — officials are preparing a “mega-shelter” in the Dallas Convention Center to house 5,000 people — and evacuees are at higher risk of getting sick, Hotez said. During Katrina, there were respiratory infections among people in shelters, including an apparent uptick in tuberculosis.

Short term power outages:
Homeowners who rely on portable generators for temporary power should be aware of the danger of inhaling carbon monoxide.
To avoid breathing the gas, operate the generators outdoors and 20 feet from doors or windows.

A lack of power means a lack of air conditioning or other ways to keep cool, further stressing people and putting those with health issues at greater risk given the season.

Short term: Drug access
Those forced to flee flood zones can struggle to acquire medication. This is a risky scenario for people with chronic conditions. Insulin was particularly in demand in Houston, said Thomas Tighe, president and chief executive of the medical nonprofit Direct Relief. Diabetics “who don’t have insulin are going to go into crisis pretty rapidly.

Short and long term: Mosquitoes
Based on experience following Hurricane Katrina, there will be several competing effects on the population of mosquitoes and the prevalence of arboviruses, such as Zika, dengue and West Nile, that they transmit.

Long term: Mental health

Long term: Mold

Hi Spellbound! My son has a friend who lives in Cypress so I've been concerned about him, I have no family there although I do have some extended family scattered about the Houston area. This is such an unbelievably horrific situation, I think I'm having a hard time accepting it's actually happening. :(

A friend is as good as family at times like this. I hope your son's friend has been able to relocate, or is maintaining safely wherever he is.

I think unless we are actually there in the midst of this, or been through something very close to this, it is hard for all of us to completely understand what is happening and how horrific it must be. It makes me appreciate the crazy ups and downs of Michigan weather, I must admit. The pictures and stories we see and read about only give us a small piece of the stress and anxiety and fears that surely are felt by the residents in all these areas so dramatically affected by Harvey. And the feeling of utter helplessness to not be able to jump in to lend a hand or shoulder is a really crappy one ... just so grateful to the support shown here by WS.

Pardon the pun

but it blows my brain out !

this is the second one

when being interviewed he says
I came back for my firearms!!

just so weird to me

Pardon the pun

but it blows my brain out !

this is the second one

when being interviewed he says
I came back for my firearms!!

just so weird to me

Well, I don't own firearms, but if I did, I would NOT risk my life going back to retrieve them.

Horribly sad pic of a little baby floating in a plastic bin :cry:

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/ImperiooS/status/902213788077830145[/FONT]

Media

I dont understand how the media continues to be surprised by how many people that need to be evacuated.

Its a big city. He was not supposed to direct hit them.

There was no evacuation.

He hit at night.

Where do they think ( I dont know actual populations etc) 850,000 were?

WHy would they not be where they live in the middle of a hurricane?

There were no shelters open - so where else could all these people be - in their houses, so all this shock that 15, 000 people came out of their homes -- where else would they be?

in their homes.

Well, I don't own firearms, but if I did, I would NOT risk my life going back to retrieve them.

Horribly sad pic of a little baby floating in a plastic bin :cry:

[FONT=&amp]https://twitter.com/ImperiooS/status/902213788077830145[/FONT]

Me either risk drowning to death to get your firearms again pardon pun blows me away

Do police stations have beds and showers??

Me either risk drowning to death to get your firearms again pardon pun blows me away

I can't imagine risking death to get ANYTHING material--only people and fur babies. Weapons, papers, licenses, technology, clothes, they can all be replaced.

Why do they call cops constables or is that something else??

The places outlined by engineers are doing exactly what they said. If anyone is in those areas they said were going to flood -- they are going to flood.

I found it the same way with Orville they could tell you like feather river day after tomm will do this and the day after it did exaclty what they said it would do

Its math its formulas pls if anyone here is in one of those areas leave

its totally different than rain flooding- it is controlled at this point engineer people (!) can figure out x amount of gallons translates to this

During Orville there were all kinds of gauges and they did what they calculated they would do

That is there job - flood control.

Today I saw videos of areas they said will be under water and it was some of the highest I have seen .

Just passing it along

The health dangers from Hurricane Harvey’s floods

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ricane-harveys-floods/?utm_term=.be2c4fd3d78f

Short term: Floodwater injuries

Short term: Infectious disease:

A flood contains more than rain. Sewage systems spill their guts. And the water can dredge up things more disturbing, if less infectious, than human waste. In New Orleans in 2005, the flooding from Hurricane Katrina exhumed corpses, sending coffins afloat through neighborhoods.

It is not easy to predict the nasty microbes that will strike. “We don't have enough epidemiological studies,” Hotez said. But Hurricane Katrina, which hit land at the same time of the year as Harvey, could offer some lessons. Health officials are urging people to get tetanus booster shots to protect themselves against the disease, which enters the body through cuts. Skin infections could be caused by exposure to MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant staphylococcus bacterium, as well as pathogens popularly described as “flesh-eating.” (What about more exotic germs, such as the one that causes cholera? “Certainly the conditions here could promote cholera,” Hotez said, “but you’d have to have somebody infected with cholera coming into the area.")

Stress jeopardizes immune systems, and it is difficult to maintain food hygiene in disaster zones. Katrina unleashed gut diseases triggered by E. coli and a lack of safe food and potable water. Add crowded conditions — officials are preparing a “mega-shelter” in the Dallas Convention Center to house 5,000 people — and evacuees are at higher risk of getting sick, Hotez said. During Katrina, there were respiratory infections among people in shelters, including an apparent uptick in tuberculosis.

Short term power outages:
Homeowners who rely on portable generators for temporary power should be aware of the danger of inhaling carbon monoxide.
To avoid breathing the gas, operate the generators outdoors and 20 feet from doors or windows.

A lack of power means a lack of air conditioning or other ways to keep cool, further stressing people and putting those with health issues at greater risk given the season.

Short term: Drug access
Those forced to flee flood zones can struggle to acquire medication. This is a risky scenario for people with chronic conditions. Insulin was particularly in demand in Houston, said Thomas Tighe, president and chief executive of the medical nonprofit Direct Relief. Diabetics “who don’t have insulin are going to go into crisis pretty rapidly.

Short and long term: Mosquitoes
Based on experience following Hurricane Katrina, there will be several competing effects on the population of mosquitoes and the prevalence of arboviruses, such as Zika, dengue and West Nile, that they transmit.

Long term: Mental health

Long term: Mold

I was just thinking about that, the mosquitoes are going to be terrible. Not only that, that whole area is going to be nothing but one unbelievably huge, toxic mess. How long will it be at basically a stand still just until they can get it cleaned up, and rebuilt. All the commercial buildings, will they be able to restore them without just tearing them down and starting over ? I assume at least some they will, but still, it will take a long time. Not to mention the roads and bridges that have been damaged / destroyed. Mind boggling.....

New mega shelter

BIG! There was a 18 wheeler inside it (could have had 40 in there! It had cotts in it.

Pretty facility. Each cott has to be assembled

I am not being bratty but they were not what I thought they were. Really like sleeping on a floor -- hey just describing.

Tons of bottled water already there. Sorting clothes .

No vol needed tonight.

oh man

not good

first video I have seen of a community starting to flood from the DC. Totally different experience

Its actually like filling up a pool. It is moving fast, the sound behind the reporter sounds like rapids.

Its exacltly what they said -- streets are going to go first and then your stuck.

I would assume that once its all flooded it will get still like a pool but until it does that it is gonna be moving river until full.

I think boats are going to have to be powered cause of the currents until it fills up and stops filling.

Hearing it was scary, this is the first time I have heard "water" if that makes any sense.

The lead in said it was one of the ones expected drastic flooding but did not catch the name of the subdivision.

I would also think the speed of the water will get faster, they are not at 16 000 yet, they are increasing discharge rate very slowly.

It was maybe tomm that they would be up to 16 000. Dont know where they are right now in the progression.

Gonna have dangers standing water does not- cause cars are gonna be floating and moving and crashing into other cars and trees and stuff
\Just scary stuff

I guess it feels like the flooding would be more violent and rescue would be much harder cause people are gonna have to fight boat being swept away, survivors risking falling in and being swept away - I guess like flash flood more than rain fill.

Kinda like a washing machine- the water when it was hitting car wheels it was splashing up

Just so many bizarre images. Car in an open garage with all the lights on this is a different community that is filling up cause of the dam.

I kinda wish they would have gone all the way up to garage and car but they yelled really loud a couple of time s

Someone is starting the rumor again that the dam is gonna go

and you know what ... after taking my Lunesta - gonna wake up knowing that a bunch more community are going to be flooded tomm- think about it -- that is the pitts

Not sure if this has been posted-Houston Channel 2 NBC is live streaming. 24l7 w/o commercials!. Don't know how to post a link. Just google Houston channel 2 for the link. Been watching it now for a couple days.

From a long time lurker-love WS and all you wonderful posters!

Well welcome - be warned the joint can be addictive!!

oh brother new law starts sept 1.

Insurance companies fines for slow pay or no pay are cut in half on sept 1 - so they have half the incentive to help you

Go govt !

Its is called slow pay or no pay.

Not sure if this has been posted-Houston Channel 2 NBC is live streaming. 24l7 w/o commercials!. Don't know how to post a link. Just google Houston channel 2 for the link. Been watching it now for a couple days.

I have been doing the local abc outlet ABC since the beginning . I know all the reports anchors weather people -- really decent bunch of human beings.

no commericial either since Friday night

http://abc13.com/live/

If your local outfit "feels' like typical news cast go over to abc. They have been holding shots for anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes -- they take you through like a rescue for the entire duration. The yelling at the vistims , finding out if they want to go getting in the boat etc etc .. The ride on the boat back the reporters talk to the people in the boat on the boat back

Really long shots which makes it totally different experience.

If something else pops up they will take you there for 20 minutes and come back to the other one for another 20 minutes= its beeen incredible

Between Beaumont and roughly Lufkin, an extraordinary 8 to 15 inches ... In southern Louisiana,

I sure hope our absent members can check in today. praying for them to be safe and away from any dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6