Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm so glad you all are all right! It's good that your house seems to be undamaged, and the trees are still standing despite many branches on the ground. Perhaps your electrician neighbor will invite you to come have some coffee. :)
And charge the phone so PN can keep us posted on her status :)

Parts of the Sanibel Bridge are gone and probable structure damage. I can't imagine how long it will take to repair. No word yet regarding damage on the island. I keep hoping someone will make a flyover. No word on Captiva...

I have bad news for the Naples Pier fans. It is gone. Even the pilings were torn out. The storm sent waves 20 feet over the pier.

@PayrollNerd I'm happy you made it through safely!

Take care

Last edited:
I was watching the tornado chasers live streams(i am in Canada) when the eye went over alot of people came out to survey damage. So the chasers were going around warning people to take shelter...there was round 2 coming. Then listening to the police ems scanners after,
they sounded so exhausted. Wish ya'll well down there.

Earlier this year, hubby and I bought a mobile home in a 55 year old plus community below Tampa for cash with pretty much our entire savings. She's adorable, located in a fantastic neighborhood and 5 star park.
1.5 miles from the Gulf. A long time, planned dream. Hubby is 74, I am 68.
There's more to this story, but I'm tuckered out watching this horrific storm.
Right now She's still there, as the storm changed direction to the south.
But, the impacts haven't hit us yet. It's not over. This storm covers nearly the entire State of Florida.
Our neighbors were given the keys to our home before I left in May.
Thank Goodness. They've turned off our circuit breakers and stored our patio furniture and trash bins.
We're in California, watching and hoping our life savings and retirement home is not flooded or swept away.
I hope your home is safe.

My daughter has a place in Bonita Springs. Lots of damage in the area but no word yet as to the fate of her home. She expects the pool enclosure may be toast. Mostly, she's worried about mold. I have a place in Gulfport. I hate to bother the folks who live down there full time. I did get a text from a friend: Hello from L...., We were so lucky. All is well.

There are people who live on their boats in Gulfport. Some were expecting to ride it out onboard. One woman interviewed said she had a 75 pound anchor so she was confident she'd be fine...... Parts of the seawall are littering the streets of Naples. They looked like they weighed about 600 pounds.

The pizza shop is doing takeout. Everything in the fridge is a loss. I’m sure my little chest freezer food is a loss too. Usually FEMA puts an application online so you can recover your food losses. But of course we have no power.

One of my best friends just showed up at my house this morning and started picking up branches. We got most of the big branches in piles. The little pine boughs we loaded in an old trash bin. The entire 1/4 acre will need to be raked there is so much small debris.

As I was driving over here to the pizza shop, there were downed trees everywhere. The county workers started clearing roads in the wee hours.

Time to have a hot slice of pizza!

Glad to hear everyone is OK! My sister is in Tampa and greatly relieved. Her daughter lives in Canada, needless to say this past week has been a CRAZY TIME. @PayrollNerd, Mr Cantore better keep his eye out. You could be the future Weathernerd. Who needs meteorologist when we have you?? You even did a 4am report, eat your heart out Cantore!

Watching a CNN report on Sanibel. Much of the island is under water. Most of Sanibel is only 3-4 feet above sea level.

Gov Desantis did a flyover this morning and described the storm surge on Sanibel as "biblical". The bridge needs to be rebuilt (several miles long). My biggest concern is that no aerial footage is being shown. That tells me it is really bad.

Comparison of the size of Hurricane Charley (2004) and Hurricane Ian (2022).

DeSantis press conference piece on Sanibel.

So sad, take care all.:(

Last edited:
Our best and lifelong friends live in Ft. Myers chose to ride out the hurricane. They’re 7 miles from the gulf. We’ve had no communication from them since last evening.
No doubt Ft. Myers was hit hard. But, I think many of the pictures that are being broadcast are of Ft. Myers Beach. That community is south of Ft. Myers. I have watched coverage today and they say that many cell towers came down and they are working to bring mobile ones in. Your friends probably don't have either electricity or cell service right now. IMO, it might be a few days before you can make contact with them.

Take care

Last edited:
Watching a CNN report on Sanibel. Much of the island it is under water. Most of Sanibel is only 3-4 feet above sea level.

Gov Desantis did a flyover this morning and described the storm surge on Sanibel as "biblical". The bridge needs to be rebuilt (several miles long). My biggest concern is that no aerial footage is being shown. That tells me it is really bad.

Comparison of the size of Hurricane Charley (2004) and Hurricane Ian (2022).

DeSantis press conference piece on Sanibel.

So sad, take care all.:(

I think Sanibel is at the 1:30 mark in this video, or at least the southern end?

The first half is Fort Myers Beach :(

Coast Guard

Also, I'm looking for usable info on Pine Island and Captiva. Does Pine Island have a separate bridge?

Last edited:
Coast Guard

Also, I'm looking for usable info on Pine Island and Captiva. Does Pine Island have a separate bridge?

Pine Island is devastated according to this article. I saw on the news this morning that the access bridge to Matlacha was destroyed so no help has arrived yet.

I haven’t heard anything about Captiva. That island is low lying and thin I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cut off from Sanibel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back