Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pine Island is devastated according to this article. I saw on the news this morning that the access bridge to Matlacha was destroyed so no help has arrived yet.

I haven’t heard anything about Captiva. That island is low lying and thin I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cut off from Sanibel.
Is Captiva connected by the Sanibel Causeway?
It is also destroyed. Pics here.

My parents, my sister and my niece live only a few miles off the SC coast.
My sister’s house backs up to a huge pond. I’m concerned for flooding of her first floor.

I know that’s practically nothing compared to what Florida just experienced. However it is still concerning, for me at least.

Last edited:
In Fort Myers, a woman named Halle B. stood outside her wrecked and flooded home and told ABC News' chief meteorologist Ginger Zee about the terrifying ordeal she and her cat, Maui Maui, endured.

"I'm the stupidest woman. I'm from Florida. I went through (hurricanes) Andrew, Irma. I decided to stay. I did not know it was going to be a (Category) 4 ... and a tidal surge," Halle B. said.

She said she and her cat initially took shelter in her bathtub for three to four hours.

"And then the water just started coming into the front door and then it just exploded," she said, adding that her refrigerator floated away in the tidal surge from the Gulf of Mexico a little over a mile from her home.

She said that as the water got higher, she and her cat fled the bathtub and got onto her sleigh bed, which started to float.
"We floated on the bed up to the ceiling," Halle B. said. "We only had a foot of air left."

My sister’s house backs up to a huge pond. I’m concerned for flooding of her first floor.

I know that’s practically nothing compared to what Florida just experienced. It is however still concerning, for me at least.
Prayers up for your family, Aspie. My daughter and family are in Florida and faired well and they back up to a canal. My youngest granddaughter was oblivious and spent the day running around the house in a ballerina costume.

This was her Hurricane Update earlier today:
For those wondering - we’re all safe and sound. Storm eye just passed right over us and it’s now downgraded to a tropical storm. Rainfall was not as significant in our area as initially expected. Minimal damage to small trees etc but everything structural in the neighborhood looks fine. No power out yet! Today will be windy as we get the back side of the storm but hopefully the worst threats are over. Hope everyone to the north of us stays safe ❤️

Last edited:
In Fort Myers, a woman named Halle B. stood outside her wrecked and flooded home and told ABC News' chief meteorologist Ginger Zee about the terrifying ordeal she and her cat, Maui Maui, endured.

"I'm the stupidest woman. I'm from Florida. I went through (hurricanes) Andrew, Irma. I decided to stay. I did not know it was going to be a (Category) 4 ... and a tidal surge," Halle B. said.

She said she and her cat initially took shelter in her bathtub for three to four hours.

"And then the water just started coming into the front door and then it just exploded," she said, adding that her refrigerator floated away in the tidal surge from the Gulf of Mexico a little over a mile from her home.

She said that as the water got higher, she and her cat fled the bathtub and got onto her sleigh bed, which started to float.
"We floated on the bed up to the ceiling," Halle B. said. "We only had a foot of air left."

You can think you’re prepared to ride out the storm but are you ready to go weeks without a single grocery store being open because the trucks with supplies can’t get there?
Limited power on a generator that needs gasoline and none of the gas markets are open? They can’t get fuel if the trucks can’t deliver.
Trying to keep the kids or animals out of the flood waters that possibly have sewage, bacteria, fire ants, etc?
It’s not over just because the storm has passed.
JMO

I know that’s practically nothing compared to what Florida just experienced. However it is still concerning, for me at least.
Hoping all are safe and they get in touch with you soon and relieve your concerns.

Darn it. Paywall. ^^^

On Thursday, Sundial Resort announced that it will be closed until further notice.

Island Inn resort’s live stream, which showed massive flooding near the area, went down on Wednesday.

As of Thursday, the lighthouse is standing tall. It’s still unknown if the historical landmark was damaged.

https://twitter.com/FOX13News/statu...94554.ampproject.net/2209072154000/frame.html

https://twitter.com/W3MSB/status/15...94554.ampproject.net/2209072154000/frame.html

Prayers up for you family, Aspie. My daughter and family are in Florida and faired well and they back up to a canal. My youngest granddaughter was oblivious and spent the day running around the house in a ballerina costume.

This was her Hurricane Update earlier today:
For those wondering - we’re all safe and sound. Storm eye just passed right over us and it’s now downgraded to a tropical storm. Rainfall was not as significant in our area as initially expected. Minimal damage to small trees etc but everything structural in the neighborhood looks fine. No power out yet! Today will be windy as we get the back side of the storm but hopefully the worst threats are over. Hope everyone to the north of us stays safe ❤️
A ballerina costume? She sounds like my kinda gal. I’m a child at heart, and surprisingly I get along well with kids and teens. Better than I do with adults. I’m sure that it’s because I really am young at heart.

That’s great to hear for your daughter and her family. They are definitely blessed!

I have another sister (and her husband) that lives in Daytona. She said, “We are good just lots of standing water and wind and no power. But the house is ok.”. So that’s good news.

My best friend lives in Brevard Co. She said some of her roof was taken. She has been in Florida for over 35 years and has ridden out all of the hurricanes since the 80s, including Andrew. She told me that she took a long nap through it. How she was so cavalier about what was happening is foreign to me. But more power to her!

I also have an aunt and uncle in Punta Gorda but I don’t have a relationship with them. Well not since they embezzled $218k from my inheritance about 10 years ago. They retired there a few years ago. I’m sure my inheritance helped them buy their home and/or their new boat.
Anyway that’s neither here nor there.

Thank you for your prayers. I don’t know how you were able to insert that heart but if I did, I’d send it back to you.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back