Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for your kind thoughts!
We are on pins and needles waiting to find out the extent of damage to our condo- We are hoping the damage will not mean that our Condo would be a total loss: we are on the second floor of a two story building. We are concerned that the roof might have actually blown off or would be so damaged that our unit would be severely damaged. It is difficult to get information at this point. It is sad we won't be able to winter at our lovely condo in Florida this winter. To think of the level of destruction in Fort Myers just makes me very sad for so many people who have lost so much.
I hope your place is safe. I feel for the Ft. Myers community as well. I can't even find a marker of any sorts to use to find the street I tried to look for earlier.

Here’s a story about Bonita Springs:

Deaths in Florida: At least 23 storm-related deaths have been reported in Florida. The state emergency mangement director has reported 21, including 20 unconfirmed (12 in Charlotte County and eight in Collier County) and one confirmed (in Polk County). Two deaths happened in Volusia County, the sheriff's office there said. Unconfirmed death cases are being processed by local medical examiners, who decide whether they are disaster-related, state emergency management Director Kevin Guthrie said.

I find it difficult to comprehend the extent of the destruction that occurred in Fort Myers including Fort Myers Beach.
Ft Myers Beach is where I was looking for my friend's street. I'm bad to use it the two interchangeably. My better half's cousin lives in Ft Myers, so they like to correct me... It's just unbelievable. Looks like someone dropped a bomb. When Ian pulled the water out so far, I had a bad feeling.

You want us to try to help you look?
Thank you so much for the offer, but I'd not want to take time away from anyone in real need. My searching is more of a matter of the heart. My friend passed, a few years ago, and I'd do a drive by if I was in the area. Kind of a salute. If I can locate the address I have here, no luck thus far, I can cross reference with Google Maps. Just a last little part that's gone now. Silly, I know. If anyone in the area could tell me if there was surge damage, and if so, how bad, up 2nd Ave, in Naples. I'd be much appreciative. Still not a priority.

The stormchasers are all in n/s carolina. There has been at least one tornado warning. They are getting storm surges and the fresh water rivers and creeks are over flowing. For live stream go( livestormchasing.com/map ) 3 live streams at moment

Here’s a story about Bonita Springs:

Deaths in Florida: At least 23 storm-related deaths have been reported in Florida. The state emergency mangement director has reported 21, including 20 unconfirmed (12 in Charlotte County and eight in Collier County) and one confirmed (in Polk County). Two deaths happened in Volusia County, the sheriff's office there said. Unconfirmed death cases are being processed by local medical examiners, who decide whether they are disaster-related, state emergency management Director Kevin Guthrie said.

We've had a place in Florida on the Gulf coast for 7 years. Our condo has gone through a few hurricanes (never actually been present for one) and has always dodged the bullet when it came to predictions of a direct hit in the Tampa/St. Pete area. So it stands to reason, when a newbie is trying to gauge whether to stay or leave it's hard to dispel the comments from year round residents who never leave because, as they say, it's never as bad as the predictions. Tie the comments into the choices vacationers make who are only there for a week or so. They rationalize staying rather than foregoing their plans and wasting their money. You don't know whether to trust your gut or the advice from residents. It's a tough call.

The reality is, it's always a bad choice to stay for some. It's a gamble.

Ft Myers Beach is where I was looking for my friend's street. I'm bad to use it the two interchangeably. My better half's cousin lives in Ft Myers, so they like to correct me... It's just unbelievable. Looks like someone dropped a bomb. When Ian pulled the water out so far, I had a bad feeling.

It actually does look like a war zone! it makes me want to cry

Forecast models on Saturday morning vary on where Ian may make landfall on Florida's coast. The European model shows landfall near Fort Myers on Wednesday afternoon, while the American model shows landfall near the Big Bend region of the state early Friday morning.

The official hurricane center track splits the difference between the models, showing landfall near Tampa on Wednesday night.

The list includes some of the most notorious recent hurricanes, including a stretch of four straight years kicking off the new century with a retired I:
  • Ida 2021: Storm surge and rainfall flooding in Louisiana, then flash flooding in the Northeast
  • Irma 2017: Carved destructive path from the northeast Caribbean Islands to Florida
  • Ingrid (2013): Triggered deadly flooding/mudslides (in addition to eastern Pacific Manuel) in Mexico
  • Irene (2011): While proving a close call for storm surge in New York City (later smashed by Superstorm Sandy), catastrophic flooding in parts of Vermont, New York and Pennsylvania
  • Igor (2010): Most damaging hurricane in recent history for Newfoundland; also struck Bermuda
  • Ike (2008): Massive storm surge on upper Texas, Louisiana coast; high wind event well inland to Ohio Valley and beyond
  • Ivan (2004): Devastated Grand Cayman; 10- to 15-foot surge along U.S. Gulf Coast; 120 tornadoes in U.S.
  • Isabel (2003): One of most significant hurricanes to hit eastern Virginia since Hazel (1954); storm surge up Chesapeake Bay
  • Isidore (2002): Heavy damage to agricultural interests in western Cuba, Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
  • Iris (2001): Devastated southern Belize as a Category 4 hurricane
Reading back through this thread after the hurricane and looks like the European model was spot on.

Hurricane Ian made landfall in Georgetown, South Carolina, at 2:05 p.m. Friday as a category 1 storm.

This is the second landfall for the storm.

This is my neighborhood during Hurricane Florence.

View attachment 369937
That's awful. What do you do after your home is inundated like that? I can't imagine.

I live in central NC. As Florence approached, we had a planned trip to New England coming up and decided to go early. So we weren't here when Florence hit NC. Neighbors emailed us to tell us the house was OK. We are on a wooded lot so I was worried about trees and branches coming down.

The wind and rain seem to be increasing here...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717
Back