Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Hurricane Ian made landfall in Georgetown, South Carolina, at 2:05 p.m. Friday as a category 1 storm.

This is the second landfall for the storm.
Second landfall for the U.S., but there were three landfalls in all. Hurricane Ian made landfall in Cuba first. Three is enough!

In this link, read the comments below where a person is asking them to rescue a couple on Sanibel. The last name links to their FB page. A family with young children. The last post was at 1:30 am on Wednesday morning. :(

IMHO I grew up in FL and have been the route with MANY hurricanes. Hurricanes are fickle and dangerous. I'm a SC native of Myrtle Beach, which is getting a much smaller dose of Ian than FL. My Dad taught me to never let my gas tank go below half tank during hurricane season. Water, flashlights, candles, lighters, cash, and phones always charged are just a few of my standards. Many years ago three dear friends chose to ride out a hurricane on Pensacola Beach. They all three died and it was weeks before they were found. I some times leave even if they say it won't be a threat. I am sorry for the loss of everything for the people in the sunshine state.

They've got some good coverage

Checking in from north Sarasota.

Some services have resumed. Some people have power but not me. The SRQ airport, some restaurants have limited hours & menus. Publix is open and gas lines are long.

My oldest, the marine scientist, is helping with the recovery efforts down south. Friends from the east coast have brought in supplies and cash so she and her friends can assist. I know FWC is assisting in rescues.

She has a friend in St Pete who can house me in her condo well into next week. That way I’ll be much closer for my cancer treatment next week. If I don’t have power by morning, I’m going up there.

My youngest had moved out of her wood rental house in Nokomis, FL on Tuesday. They went back to clean it yesterday and it’s on the verge of collapse. Today they went back down there to get the things in the shed.

Another friend in Nokomis had a pine tree fall on her outside stairs. So now there’s no way to get in/out of her upstairs unit. Fortunately she had evacuated with her cat to Sarasota.

Post in thread 'Travis' Sidebar Friends #59'
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/travis-sidebar-friends-59.636226/post-17793262

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has started to release satellite imagery of areas in southwest Florida damaged by Hurricane Ian.

In an interactive map published Friday, parts of Caya Costa, Captiva, and Sanibel Island were shown. Areas of Cape Coral and Fort Myers along the Caloosahatchee River were, too. Using satellite photos courtesy of Google Earth taken last year, these interactive sliders reveal the significant damage done.

That's awful. What do you do after your home is inundated like that? I can't imagine.

I live in central NC. As Florence approached, we had a planned trip to New England coming up and decided to go early. So we weren't here when Florence hit NC. Neighbors emailed us to tell us the house was OK. We are on a wooded lot so I was worried about trees and branches coming down.

The wind and rain seem to be increasing here...

A little while ago a friend inland from Edenton NC sent me a video taken from the door to her barn…tropical storm pouring rain with wind and her two horses were munching away in the pasture! The wild turkeys were out grazing in it too. Food apparently wins out over being wet. The barn cats, on the other hand, stayed inside with their food. No doubt the mice did too. :)

The power is on again! Yay! The A/C feels good even tho it never got above 78 inside. We were really blessed with cooler air after the hurricane. Normally, it's blazing hot and muggy after one blows thru. Of course this is late Sept too so that plays a role. The summer hurricanes are torture.

My oldest texted that she is in Cape Coral helping people scrape the mud, sewage, debris and water out of their homes. Those poor people. Looking at these photos of the devastation is heartbreaking.

Some fairly steady high winds here in SE VA. Supposedly, per the weather guessers, the winds are 20 mph. I think the weather folks need to check the bearings in their anemometer, because this is strongest 20 mph wind I've ever seen. A LOT of rain, coastal flood and tornado watches. Power has gone out once and briefly.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has started to release satellite imagery of areas in southwest Florida damaged by Hurricane Ian.

In an interactive map published Friday, parts of Caya Costa, Captiva, and Sanibel Island were shown. Areas of Cape Coral and Fort Myers along the Caloosahatchee River were, too. Using satellite photos courtesy of Google Earth taken last year, these interactive sliders reveal the significant damage done.
Thank you, the first picture shows the resort we stay (used to stay) at. The seven buildings on the right with the white roofs shaped like a horseshoe. Looks like the property lost some roofs, there is standing water and the pool house is gone. All the scrub in front is gone. I keep thinking about all off the wildlife that used to live there.

Took them about 6 months to recover from Charley, I can't imagine how long it will take to recover from Ian.

We like the Gulf coast. Anyone have ideas of where to visit next year?

Texted with my friend living on Marco Island. They live on a canal. Water came up to their home but did not enter. They came back to their home yesterday, no electric, limited cell service. The bridge to Marco must not have taken any damage.

Thoughts with those dealing with Ian up in the Carolinas.

@lonetraveler , for some reason, can't quote your messages, but I love those Brunswick County Beaches and Oak Island! Spent many summers there . I have cousins south of Leland in Southport, so I remember Florence, and also Matthew (??) I believe that was the one that wreaked such havoc most recently.
Mathew put a giant oak tree through my roof all the way to the floor.
Yes, my father bought two lots on Oak Island when I was in the 5th grade. I've lived there as well for a while. I love Southport. One of my favorite places. It's flooded right now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back