Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone heard anything about a pretty massive fire burning in Galveston?

Fox or CNN showed a building burning online. Could have been a house fire, not sure and nothing on Fox coverage right now. If I hear anything I will post.

Well, you could heat up on some water on a propane or gas stove! Although I'll take a cold shower over no a/c...

A lot of people in the coastal communities didn't want to evacuate because they went through hell with Rita. All the people from Katy to the Woodlands were hyped and hysteria-ed into evacuating by the authorities when there was no need, and the people who really need to get away were stuck for 20 hours or so crawling along the roads--not even getting out of Houston in some cases. It seems like that was handled a lot better this time but some of those people just refused to go based on that experience.

I hope that doesn't turn out be a deadly decision for some of them.

I saw some people in Kemah who thought they were on the high end, but basically everything along the coast is sea level! There's no "high end!" Houston is 50 feet above sea level but those communities are beachfront. :confused:

Texana, my neice and family live in the Woodlands, have spent all day triming back the trees. Just talked to her an hour ago and they're pretty much okay.......but possible 90 mile wind's are expected tonite!

I live in Southern CA.....I had no idea that Houston is only 50 feet above sea level! I learn something every day........so thanks for this post!

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Was it on here that I read about a jail in Galveston not being evacuated? I thought that everyone who chose to evacuate had been ev:confused:acuated

A few minutes ago it was reported there 12 fires in Galveston.
Almost makes me wonder?? are some thinking that they have fire insurance, but not flood, or natural disaster, insurance??

I heard earlier that there was a boat manufacturing place on fire that the fire department was trying to get to.

Texana, my neice and family live in the Woodlands, have spent all day triming back the trees. Just talked to her an hour ago and they're pretty much okay.......but possible 90 mile wind's are expected tonite!

I live in Southern CA.....I had no idea that Houston is only 50 feet above sea level! I learn something every day........so thanks for this post!

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

Haha, ONLY fifty feet above sea level? Love mama, it's a mountain compared to Galveston!

I think those 90p mph winds will be gusts and not sustained ones. So hopefully that will be the extent of it.

Half our neighborhood has lost power but we are still good and crossing fingers.

We're getting another band of gusts and wind. Quiet for awhile and now it's back again.

Re the fire, Local news coverage said it was a fire at the Galveston Yacht Basin, fed by the fuel in the boats. It was impressive. I believe you can view the video on khou.com if I remember which channel I was watching this afternoon! We're hunkered down in Houston, glued to the TV all day watching my town (Seabrook) become part of Galveston Bay./

Re the fire, Local news coverage said it was a fire at the Galveston Yacht Basin, fed by the fuel in the boats. It was impressive. I believe you can view the video on khou.com if I remember which channel I was watching this afternoon! We're hunkered down in Houston, glued to the TV all day watching my town (Seabrook) become part of Galveston Bay./

JanPat, my thoughts are with you and your family. :blowkiss:

Is Dallas going to be affected by this storm? Our neighbor is flying there tomorrow for her daughter's brain surgery to remove a tumor.

Just saw your post DK. Prayer's for your friends daughter. Oh my...........please this in the prayer thread if you already haven't posted this there..

Prayer's to all to get through tonite!
xxxxxxxxooooo

Thanks for the thoughts, Texana. We're watching from the west side of Houston--eerily quiet here still. We've accepted what we'll be returning to and are just fortunate that we have decent insurance and friends and family that have already offered any help needed. It's just surreal to watch it unfold on national television.

I'm trying to hold back tears here, watching the radars on Ike... I have been trying to get in contact with my childhood best friend the last day or so, with no success. She now lives south of Houston in Pearland, with her husband and 2 boys. (her, her hubby and I were school chums back in SC) I'm worried about her because not only is this hurricane pushing down on them, but also her family back in SC is going through some major health crisis'... (brother is under hospice care for cancer and heart failure... and her mother recently came out of a coma from emergency surgery) I keep checking email and calling numbers down in SC trying to get in contact with her family, but I am getting nowhere. My stomach is burning and in knots... hopefully my brother will call me soon to let me know if he found out anything on his end.

I took my sleepytimes meds. and checking out for the night. I was trying to stay up but I'm not gonna force myself. Hopefully will still have power in the a.m.

Everyone prayers and stay safe.

Haha, ONLY fifty feet above sea level? Love mama, it's a mountain compared to Galveston!

I think those 90p mph winds will be gusts and not sustained ones. So hopefully that will be the extent of it.

Half our neighborhood has lost power but we are still good and crossing fingers.

We're getting another band of gusts and wind. Quiet for awhile and now it's back again.

Hey Texana, you're right! DUH!.......I'm on steroids which do keep you awake so am staying up all nite.

Prayers for everyone in the way of this storm.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama

Thanks for the thoughts, Texana. We're watching from the west side of Houston--eerily quiet here still. We've accepted what we'll be returning to and are just fortunate that we have decent insurance and friends and family that have already offered any help needed. It's just surreal to watch it unfold on national television.

Surreal is a good word--It's weird enough just knowing the area, I can't imagine having it be my home and home town. My heart goes out to you, all you can do is just what you've done.

Is Dallas going to be affected by this storm? Our neighbor is flying there tomorrow for her daughter's brain surgery to remove a tumor.

I would think Dallas is far enough North to get no more than rain, if anything.

I'm no weathergirl though.

I will be checking in all night to see how things are.I have insomnia so read but seldom post at night.Please be creful everyone. Nore

From what I've been able to tell on the news, the danger of this hurricane is not its strength (cat 2 maybe becoming cat 3), but the breadth of it; causing a very large storm surge across the Texas coast and into Louisiana.

Galveston may be underwater, and low lying areas of Houston will flood. Even the Memorial/Buffalo Bayou area may flood; I don't know if the houses will though. Guess we'll see.

Good luck to all those in the Houston area; I believe we are supposed to get rain and winds here in Central Texas tomorrow. Tons of people are here from Houston.

Anyone here from Houston? I have a sister that lives in Champion Forrest in North Houston. I just talked with her and she has not lost power yet. She has a huge dressing room off of her bedroom and she has really stocked it! She finally had gotten my nephew over this afternoon. He was going to stay in his condo in downtown Houston until she informed him that he was going to come over and hold the winds and rain at bay for her!

Everyone in the path of Ike please stay safe and know that lots of people are thinking of you and saying prayers!

Got all of you in my thoughts, JanPat!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back