Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanx guys for reassuring me that my friend in The Woodlands will be ok. He said that he is just sick & tired of evacuating. I can't say that I blame him. He lived in New Orleans prior to Katrina....evacuated to Houston....then had to evacuate for Rita. His home in NO was destroyed. He then moved to Lake Tahoe, CA where he then had to evacuate from wildfires (lost another home) and moved back to Texas! Thank goodness he has a sense of humor about things....calls himself a magnet for natural disasters.

So Texas has your friend to thank for Ike? LOL

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26682077/

About 130 people remained in the fishing community on the barrier island of Grand Isle after storm surge cut off the only road to the mainland, said Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Jindal said search and rescue teams would head to the island as soon as wind abated and water receded.

He told residents they could break into a state wildlife and fisheries lab that was deemed a safe structure. He called it "the most unusual piece of advice I might give."

There's nothing funny about this storm, but at least the governor of Louisiana seems to be trying to hold on to his sense of humor.

I don't think I will be able to sleep... I just want the sunrise to get here so we can find out everyone is okay down there.

Just so you all know that are affected by this monsterous storm, we're all worried about you. Keep in touch and drop us a line as soon as you're able too!

:blowkiss:
fran

Just reported that not only is Ike moving in, they have HIGH TIDE to deal with.

On CNN.........

xxxxxoooooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Ok this is driving me crazy , no cable and have been trying to ck the various websites none of which have been great w/news.. Does anyone know of a good "up to the minute" website? Prayers to ALL my fellow Texans, especially in the costal , low laying areas.. Grew up in Houston, spent my summers "playing" in Galveston, Texans are the best! Be SAFE all :)

Thanks! (Gonna have to break down and get cable again for times like this..)

I got the weirdest feeling today. I live in Ohio, not Texas. But I spent quite a bit of time today looking at links about Ike and reading here. So this evening after it quit raining, I went to run some errands and stepped outside and found myself looking at the clouds and wondering if it was safe to run uptown.

I decided that I was way too invested in the Ike info!

I got the weirdest feeling today. I live in Ohio, not Texas. But I spent quite a bit of time today looking at links about Ike and reading here. So this evening after it quit raining, I went to run some errands and stepped outside and found myself looking at the clouds and wondering if it was safe to run uptown.

I decided that I was way too invested in the Ike info!

Nah, you know you are going to get the remnants of this storm early next week, right?

Nah, you know you are going to get the remnants of this storm early next week, right?

I told you all, Ohio doesn't want it! lol.

Seriously, we could use the rain. But I really don't want to see the winds and possible tornados.

Champion Forest is northwest of Houston (suburb) between I-45 and 249. It's about a 20 minute drive from the Houston city limits. Aunt and Uncle used to live in that area. My prayers are with your family. (My family is not far from there...Spring and Lake Conroe.)
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

As Hurricane Ike pushed a swelling surge onto Galveston Island tonight, many Galveston residents who ignored a mandatory evacuation order phoned for rescues to no avail because emergency workers were called off the streets, officials said.

Help wasn't expected until after dangerous storm conditions subsided.

"We don't know what we're going to find tomorrow," said the city's mayor, Lyda Ann Thomas. "We hope we'll find that the people who didn't leave here are alive and well."

City Manager Steve LeBlanc went so far as to ask the media not to photograph "certain things" in the aftermath, referring to the possibility of dead bodies.

snip...Several hundred people on the Bolivar Peninsula ignored the call to evacuate forcing Coast Guard helicopter crews to rescue 45 people trapped on the peninsula. Others were rescued by other agencies, Chertoff said.

Helicopters were to be grounded when hurricane winds picked up, he said.

And once it hits, thousands of people will be without power and food, said FEMA Administrator David Paulison. Emergency personnel have shipped in 2.5 million MREs (meals ready to eat) in Texas, and another 3 million will be brought in, he said.

The Red Cross expects to feed 500,000 people.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5998538.html

The Chron has a whole bunch of new stories since I was there this afternoon.

Champion Forest is northwest of Houston (suburb) between I-45 and 249. It's about a 20 minute drive from the Houston city limits. Aunt and Uncle used to live in that area. My prayers are with your family. (My family is not far from there...Spring and Lake Conroe.)
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

SDkid, I have a problem with the links, computer says it can't open them. Did you post them on a pic sharing site first? We can't do a direct upload here.

As Hurricane Ike pushed a swelling surge onto Galveston Island tonight, many Galveston residents who ignored a mandatory evacuation order phoned for rescues to no avail because emergency workers were called off the streets, officials said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26643689/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/1/

snip...http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5998538.html

The Chron has a whole bunch of new stories since I was there this afternoon.

Those dumb, scared people. They were told and told to evacuate. I pray God grants them grace and safety to aid them against their stubbornness.

Picture #27 made me want to cry- dogs abandoned in their back yard. I hope they make it safely through the storm.

I saw that one, why didn't they either take them with them or turn them loose?

Did you see the waves breaking over the memorial for the victims of the hurricane in 1900? That one was moving too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back