Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just heard rom a co worker in Dallas . They have closed DFW airport.

Ok well i wanted to let you guys know I made it through and have some amazing pictures but it was extremely scary and i never wanna do it again. Its still going on too but its not so bad anymore. I do know that several people were not as lucky as us. ONe family was so bad off they were under their mobile home.

Ok well i wanted to let you guys know I made it through and have some amazing pictures but it was extremely scary and i never wanna do it again. Its still going on too but its not so bad anymore. I do know that several people were not as lucky as us. ONe family was so bad off they were under their mobile home.

:hug:

That REALLY makes me mad. I work in animal rescue & personally believe charges should be filed against people who leave helpless animals to fend for themselves in disaster situations! :furious:

Often they have no choice - if they arent leaving in private vehicles
they wont allow them to take their pets - I am in a evacuee city our
coliseum is taking animals but its full - alot of hotels dont allow animals

The priority is saving human life - sad but reality

Glad to hear from you and so happy you made it through. Family ok? Home ok? How does it look in your area?

I have a friend in Houston hes at the VA Hospital there since he just had surgery on Wednesday. They lost power last night. Weve been txting back and forth they are telling ppl to txt instead of calling. The hospital told him it could be days if not weeks b4 power is even restored to the VA hospital (not sure why that was said I keep hearing that the hospitals will be the first to get power back) Last night he said he was looking out the window of his room and he could see all the transformers going and the sky was orange. They were told they couldnt drink the tap water as well, that could be because of what i saw on the news that the Mayor is saying to be on safe side boil water. His sons are in Pearland they faired alright but had no power as well. Again weve been txting back & forth since yesterday and had no probs yet except the battery on his phone is starting to die. Hope some of that info helps someone out there wondering or trying to get through.

edit: - Why was Dallas Airport closed? i havent heard about it

"The unfortunate truth is we're going to have to go in ... and put our people in the tough situation to save people who did not choose wisely. We'll probably do the largest search-and-rescue operation that's ever been conducted in the state of Texas," said Andrew Barlow, spokesman for Gov. Rick Perry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ike

I have a friend in Houston hes at the VA Hospital there since he just had surgery on Wednesday. They lost power last night. Weve been txting back and forth they are telling ppl to txt instead of calling. The hospital told him it could be days if not weeks b4 power is even restored to the VA hospital (not sure why that was said I keep hearing that the hospitals will be the first to get power back) Last night he said he was looking out the window of his room and he could see all the transformers going and the sky was orange. They were told they couldnt drink the tap water as well, that could be because of what i saw on the news that the Mayor is saying to be on safe side boil water. His sons are in Pearland they faired alright but had no power as well. Again weve been txting back & forth since yesterday and had no probs yet except the battery on his phone is starting to die. Hope some of that info helps someone out there wondering or trying to get through.

edit: - Why was Dallas Airport closed? i havent heard about it

Good news about your friend. The nurses will give the patients conservative estimates about the power, just in case there are problems or the power is delayed for some reason.

Glad to hear from you and so happy you made it through. Family ok? Home ok? How does it look in your area?

well we are all ok thank goodness, the area is very tore up and flooded. Our home is ok which I am very thankful for, ours made it through RIta and now Ike. We are very blessed, now I gotta focus all my prayers for everyone else who is dealing with this storm.

Last night I asked for a moment of thought and prayer for the safety people who were putting themselves in danger last night. Now I would like to ask for another.

They are running on little or no sleep. They worked at top speed yesterday, putting their lives in danger at times. Today they are physically exhausted, yet they will be facing fears and sights of what they may find. And some of their recovery efforts may still involve putting their lives at risk. So spend a moment thinking of them please.

Many may not know the status of their own homes, or may know they have lost.

Today, he said, many roads throughout the county, which was under an evacuation order, remain blocked by debris or floodwater, and county emergency responders are deluged with calls for help.

A major concern, Kubik said, is that rescue workers had not been able to make contact with the fishing communities of Oak Island and Smith Point.

``We have an unconfirmed report that there was one person in Oak Island on the second floor who said he was treading water and wasn't sure how long he could last,'' Kubik said.
http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/chambers_co_hammered_rescue_cr.html

Sedonia Owen, 75, and her son, Lindy McKissick, defied evacuation orders in Galveston because they wanted to protect their neighborhood from possible looters. She was watching floodwaters recede from her front porch Saturday morning, armed with a shotgun.

"My neighbors told me, 'You've got my permission. Anybody who goes into my house, you can shot them,'" said Owen.
http://www.galvnews.com/wire.lasso?report=/dynamic/stories/I/IKE

One guy who refused to evacuate met rescuers today, "drunk and waving"

The storm surge from Hurricane Ike flooded 1,800 homes in Cameron Parish, Louisiana, and authorities told stranded residents to stay indoors Saturday because authorities could not rescue them yet.

The residents weren't in danger, officials said.

Authorities also were urging residents who evacuated not to return until advised to do so.

"We're telling people stay where you are. Don't rush home. We're not out of the woods yet," Cameron Parish Sheriff Theos Dunhon said.

Cameron Parish was hit hard by Hurricane Rita in 2005. Watch how Ike is pounding Texas »

"We are seeing the same flood inundation as Rita, if not more," Dunhon said.

The sheriff's office has received several calls from people in trailers and homes who want to be evacuated, but deputies can't help them because of high winds, Dunhon said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/13/hurricane.ike.louisiana/?iref=mpstoryview

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back