Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine being in Texas. It is amazing that a few hours of heavy rain can cause just this. The pictures from Galveston are incredible. I can't even imagine how you clean up the damage on that scale. Wow...

Small world! "On a hilltop in Missouri..." the opening lines of my high school anthem (Eureka) where I graduated in 1961. I wonder how much rain they got up there and this from Ike? Goodness gracious.

As a point of information, where we live we were on the west side of the path which is a good thing. We were spared the worst part of the storm as opposed to the east side of the storm which is referred to as the "dirty side". I just checked our rain gauge and we only received a total of 4.45 inches of rain although we live but 200 miles from Galveston. And we lost not a single tree; only a few twigs and small limbs and lots of leaves which I can chop up with the mower. Just to the immediate south and to the east they got whacked pretty hard from what I gather. I can only imagine what it might be like to be without power for weeks as they are saying. From the news channels it showed that 90% of the customers of Centerpoint Energy which services that part of Texas was without power.

At least we didn't have the large death toll of third world nations. I would hope that in the coming years these hurricanes will die down and not be a constant threat hanging over everyone's heads.

I don't think Eureka got hit hard this time, but we got hit hard with the flooding around Easter when highway 44 was, once again, threatened to flood in Valley Park (I used to live there too) and people got displaced from their homes. From what I can tell on the news, most of the flash flooding is North - Florissant, Ferguson - but also U City (waist deep), parts of Webster Groves. 4.5 to 5 inches of rain has been common in this area. It came in just a few hours of time too.

Yes -despite the severity of these natural disasters, we are lucky to live in a nation (and spot on the map) in which we can get aid to people quicker and have the resources available to soften the blow (even if just a bit). Knowing what those people are going through, I'm not even worried about coming home to a bit of water in my basement today!:)

News says they haven't even reached the west half of Galveston yet but expect to find total destruction there.

We have vacationed at Crystal Beach and Gilchrist on Bolivar since I was a baby and I am "well-seasoned". KHOU site has pictures and blogs where people are looking for their families and friends. The Bolivar peninsula was destroyed. The beach homes are gone. There has been no information until today showing what is no longer there. There are horror stories about the rescues, and these are rescues of rescuers,,,not people who refused to evacuate.

This is very very sad and devastating.

The remnants of Ike along with another system hit Ohio about an hour ago.

Sustained winds in the 30's.
Wind gusts between 51 and 74 mph.

A 13 year old hit by a falling tree, his condition is unknown but he was unconcious.
Fires in Cincinnati. And firefighters are only able to fight from the outside due to the dangers of going inside with the high winds. Embers from the fires are blowing and igniting other buildings.

Hundreds of thousands without power. And I won't be able to stay online long, because my home is one of them. I got home and just started watching the news when the power went off.

We are under wind warning until 6 pm, wind advisory until 8 pm.

Weirdly enough, no rain.... so far. I went to Walmart and started back home in the beginning of this. There were trees down and limbs down all over the place. No big ones on the road though, thank goodness.

These winds are scary enough. I don't know how the hurricane survivors stood it.

News says they haven't even reached the west half of Galveston yet but expect to find total destruction there.

Unbelievable....I also heard that from the air on the westend the only sign of life were cows.

My kids schools have evacuees there in the gyms...wonder how all that is going to go tomorrow when they head back to school?

Well, we just got back power back today at five, lost it around 2:30 a.m. Friday night during the worst of the storm. In our neighborhood, mostly downed trees and tree limbs, a few on houses but no injuries it seems. (no flood or storm surge for us here in Fort Bend County.)

We lost about the top third of a live oak tree but the rest of the tree canopy caught the bigger limbs and stopped them from coming on the house or through windows.

We had a patio table with a wooden top (the glass broke this summer and we had replaced it with fence-style wood pieces temporarily) and it was face down in the grass. Bits and pieces of grass were literally driven into the wooden slats by the wind. We had over 8 bags of yard debris and smaller tree limbs, and a pool full of debris, but we have a generator and gas cooktop and water heater, so it hasn't been too bad. Both my brothers had downed trees but neither hit the houses so we're very thankful altogether.

Yesterday as everyone came out from their houses, fired up generators and chainsaws, there was a general sense of thankfulness it was over and getting back to work cleaning up. It was amazing how many trees had fallen but how many had NOT hit houses.

The governor and mayor of Houston are making it clear they aren't accepting the "2-4 weeks power out" that Centerpoint keeps proclaiming. They need to keep demanding that for the areas not flooded or destroyed by storm surge. FEMA seems to be not much better than before, saying this morning that they had to "wait 24 hours until tropical storm winds died down." What the heck! We were out and about by mid day yesterday--ridiculous.

Entergy which services the Woodlands and Montgomery County/Conroe (north of Houston) area said they had "catastrophic failures" and it would NOT be a day or two for those people to get power back. Really awful considering that area is more than two hours from the coast!

Our schools will be closed for two more days.

Sorry if any of this was repetitive from other posters, just thankful to be getting life back to some semblance of normal and feeling so badly for those who will not have life back to normal at all.

The remnants of Ike along with another system hit Ohio about an hour ago.

Sustained winds in the 30's.
Wind gusts between 51 and 74 mph.

A 13 year old hit by a falling tree, his condition is unknown but he was unconcious.
Fires in Cincinnati. And firefighters are only able to fight from the outside due to the dangers of going inside with the high winds. Embers from the fires are blowing and igniting other buildings.

Hundreds of thousands without power. And I won't be able to stay online long, because my home is one of them. I got home and just started watching the news when the power went off.

We are under wind warning until 6 pm, wind advisory until 8 pm.

Weirdly enough, no rain.... so far. I went to Walmart and started back home in the beginning of this. There were trees down and limbs down all over the place. No big ones on the road though, thank goodness.

These winds are scary enough. I don't know how the hurricane survivors stood it.

Good grief! You are certainly right about the winds. That is what concerned me the most. All the way to Ohio and still going. Unbelievable!

We are only 200 miles from Galveston and I guess it is because we are down in a valley of sorts but we didn't have any damage and no downed trees. A lot of leaves, small branches and debris but nothing serious. I heard on the local news that where I live there are a number of homes without power so apparently it is worse on higher ground. We never even lost power. I don't think our winds got much higher than about 35 mph if that high but the trees were doing strange things. Bending toward the west on the top part of the hurricane and to the east as the south part of the hurricane passed.

Fires in a strong wind are another thing that will simply terrify a person who has never experienced them. I once set off a fire in a wooded area and I thought I would have a major forest fire on my hands but beat it back but I will never do that again. Rain, wind, fire. What a mess.

Only one family injury for us, Mr. Texana's brother (there's one in every family) was boarding up his townhouse Friday and decided to jump down from the roof, shattering his heel.

Texana I'm glad you guys are ok. Wow, sounds like you all have been through so much...hang in there! Hope your BIL feels better soon.....thankfully those falling trees didn't land on any of you or your house. That's great too that your power is back on!!! Bet you wanted more than anything a nice, long, hot bath!!!

Texana I'm glad you guys are ok. Wow, sounds like you all have been through so much...hang in there! Hope your BIL feels better soon.....thankfully those falling trees didn't land on any of you or your house. That's great too that your power is back on!!! Bet you wanted more than anything a nice, long, hot bath!!!

Thanks for the kind thoughts--We were able to take hot showers thanks to a gas powered hot water heater, but without a/c, not much sleep going on--especially with a generator running outside--We were just really, really thankful given the devastation on the coastal communities, to be able to only have some clean up and a tree to take care of. It is just shocking to see the boats driven up on the freeway and the road. The energy in the storm surge of Ike is unbelievable--for a Cat 2 storm, it was more like Camille in terms of damage--boats ten miles inland, etc.

We have two of the DDs' fellow dancers spending the night, no power at their home, fortunately a cool front has blown in and dried up the air (no more rain for the bayous!) and cooled down the temps for those without power--

Mr. Texana's brother is a Darwinian award waiting to happen. I'm so thankful we live close to my brothers--one of them passed on a good bottle of Cabernet to me and was hauling out the chainsaw to clear his backyard.

Mr. Texana's brother is a Darwinian award waiting to happen. I'm so thankful we live close to my brothers--one of them passed on a good bottle of Cabernet to me and was hauling out the chainsaw to clear his backyard.

LOL, wine and a chainsaw- not a good mix.

LOL, wine and a chainsaw- not a good mix.

Well, in all fairness, it was mid afternoon before he got the chainsaw and went to work, and he probably took a nap after we saw him. He was up all night during the storm just as we were--the only people I know who slept through it were my neighbors next door--they're a retired couple and seem to be able to sleep through anything. He used to work for the electric company and she weathered several storms on her own with the children--they boarded up a window and went to sleep.

On the other hand, it was my perfectly sober brother-in-law who thought he could jump down from a roof unharmed and then spent the night in emergency room of a hospital.

It is so great to have the power back on and amazingly, even the pool is almost clear of debris. But watching the tv and the photos of the destroyed communities is heartbreaking. I can't even comprehend the destruction.

And having experienced just the tropical storm-cat 1 winds, I can't see how ANYONE would ever want to ride out a storm at the actual landfall, unless in a secure spot as a first responder, etc. It was just nightmarish. The only sound is the howl and whine and bullet sound of rain hitting the windows, it's pitch black outside, and you are cut off from anything except a radio. If water was coming up via storm surge I can't imagine the horror.

Or do others feel that there is remarkably little footage of Galveston and what has happened to it? I have yet to see a comprehensive set of pictures or a complete flyover of the island. I spent many happy childhood weeks there and am anxious to see what may be left of those memories. If anyone can direct me to a source of pictures of Galveston since the storm, or of flyover film, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The Balinese Room destruction has been reported over and over again. I can remember being on the beach there with my father- the Balinese Room would lower a bucket on a rope to the beach. Daddy would put money in it, and a few minutes later, the bucket would descend again, with a beer, Cokes, and hamburgers in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back