Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Every one please stay safe. Question which will show you how much I know about Texas. How close is Austin to where the storm is supposed to hit?
Depending on which roads you take, about 3-4 hours to Galveston. My family is in Austin, things seem calm thus far

Every one please stay safe. Question which will show you how much I know about Texas. How close is Austin to where the storm is supposed to hit?

Austin is about 186 miles from where I live in Houston. Takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. depending on how fast one drives.

Kato did you get those ciggies? :)

Domino's is bringing us lunch. Mr. Texana asked what had I planned for lunch for everyone. :eek:

Skies clouding over here a bit now. Pictures are amazing of the water coming in, I think there are live feeds at www.khou.com

LOL Planned for lunch? I have no set menu. Just whatever.

Yeah, I got those ciggies. $50 at Walgreen's compared to $44 at Sam's.

CH. 13 talking to a guy who works at the ship channel and couldn't get away and he lost his vintage corvette that was his only means of transportation by the time he got home. Also, a house on fire across from him but engines can't get to it. Says he went through Andrew on a boat. He says it's gonna be a huge "pig" of a storm. The dude doesn't even have any shoes. He sent all his crap ahead with his GF to Webster which probably flood also.

Austin is about 186 miles from where I live in Houston. Takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. depending on how fast one drives.

I just wanted to add that we here in Austin are about the distance that you mentioned from Austin but north/northwest of Houston....we might get a bit windy here on Saturday but not much rain and we really need it soooo badly as we've been going through a drought.:mad:

This morning on the way to work I noticed traffic was more than usual and noticed alot of vehicles pulling small u-hauls with belongings tied down on top of the trailers. I figured these people must be evacuees. I wish I could offer shelter but I live in a tiny 1 br apt with 2 little toy poodles and I just don't have the room.

All I know is this is a storm not to be taken lightly! I've nicknamed him:

"Big Bad Ike".....

I grew up in Houston and came to Austin 16 years ago. But I know the devastion these storms can cause! Heck even Alecia was a tropical storm and caused massive flooding in Houston!

Everybody in Ike's path please be extra careful....nothing is more important than human life...houses and property can always be rebuilt.

I feel helpless; I just wish I could do something... I know! I've got alot of clothes that I've been meaning to get rid of and think I'll donate those clothes (& shoes) to a charity for the Ike victims as soon as things calm down.

Sending:blowkiss: to all the people in Ike's path!

Cindy:)

So many stories of people who nonchalantly decided to stay, and people who chose to ignore orders to evacuate. The warnings of certain death are almost certain to be proved out. The death toll could be enormous, if IKE holds course and strength, and almost nothing can be done to save any of them.

I just wanted to add that we here in Austin are about the distance that you mentioned from Austin but north/northwest of Houston....we might get a bit windy here on Saturday but not much rain and we really need it soooo badly as we've been going through a drought.:mad:

This morning on the way to work I noticed traffic was more than usual and noticed alot of vehicles pulling small u-hauls with belongings tied down on top of the trailers. I figured these people must be evacuees. I wish I could offer shelter but I live in a tiny 1 br apt with 2 little toy poodles and I just don't have the room.

All I know is this is a storm not to be taken lightly! I've nicknamed him:

"Big Bad Ike".....

I grew up in Houston and came to Austin 16 years ago. But I know the devastion these storms can cause! Heck even Alecia was a tropical storm and caused massive flooding in Houston!

Everybody in Ike's path please be extra careful....nothing is more important than human life...houses and property can always be rebuilt.

I feel helpless; I just wish I could do something... I know! I've got alot of clothes that I've been meaning to get rid of and think I'll donate those clothes (& shoes) to a charity for the Ike victims as soon as things calm down.

Sending:blowkiss: to all the people in Ike's path!

Cindy:)

These items will be more important than you can even imagine. When we left because of Katrina I had enough clothes to last us a week. That week turned into 10 months and it was because of donated clothing that I was able to go out and find a job asap. Hold onto that clothing, someone will certainly need it in the next week or so!!:blowkiss:

Thanks Kato You and BF stay safe please:blowkiss:

As many as 5 million people could be without power.

The rescue effort to get the tanker crew has been abandoned. They are at mercy of storm. Has had history of deficiencies.

http://www.10news.com/weather/17417...l=sand_8pm&tmi=sand_8pm_1_10000209112008&ts=H
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080911/ap_on_sc/ike_surge;_ylt=ApGUm7GLimrHzZTYjeNxsmSs0NUE

Ike is absolutely huge 70% larger than average hurricane, storm surge expected to be 20 ft. in Galveston area with possible 50 ft. waves.

Everyone on Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston Island who chose to stay will probably die. The big worry is that it will plow up the channel directly into Houston.

I can't even imagine the death toll from this monster. Sleuthers in Texas, please stay safe.

Cindy they are needing volunteers at the shelters set up at the schools if you are interested. I got emails about it. I think we're in for some good rain....how can it miss us? The storm is HUGE! We are suppose to get some good gusts tomorrow too. Nothing major but we'll bring in our balcony furniture and stuff. The traffic is horrible here in Austin!!!!

Kato be safe! Thinking about ya and everyone taking a direct hit. I think my family is starting to get nervous...they are in the path. I wish they had come here!

Kato be safe! Thinking about ya and everyone taking a direct hit. I think my family is starting to get nervous...they are in the path. I wish they had come here!

The highways are not too bad. They may still have some time.

People are at a bar yucking it up on the beach. They say those are the "certain death" people.

Greg Jarrett of FOX just talked to the bartender. She said they will stay open til the cops shut them down. He had to let her go but told her to tell the people at the bar (app. 25-30) that they are going to die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynbot
Back