Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cindy, that's okay, I didn't mean any disrespect. I remember 1983's Alicia very well. We lived in Northeast Houston right outside the 610 loop near 1-45. We lived in a two-story wood house on blocks. Sometime in the middle of the night, my parents grabbed my little sisters and ran downstairs fearing the roof was going to be blown off. I looked outside my window and it was one big blur of debris, branches, etc. flying around. Miraculously, that old wooden house survived and with all the pine trees (Kato!) not one fell on the house. Seriously, the Man Upstairs was watching out for us. Some people were not as fortunate. We didn't have electricity for awhile and the generator wasn't enough so we wound up squeezing the 6 of us in a hotel room for nearly a week because it was HOT afterwards.

Hang on to your hats, my fellow Houstonians and beyond!

She's 17 and has a bit of a sarcastic streak :)

It will be awhile, but I also believe Galveston and the surrounding Bay communities will be "happy places" again.

LOL, so what she is worrying about is that she might have to help with the clean up? Lots and lots of slimy stuff to pick up, maybe some dead fish lying around. Tell her that at least she won't be bored for a while! And just think, some of the fireants are drowning.

Well, those people have been riding out a lot of hurricanes in just that way. Works for the lower cat. ones but this one again is bringing the water for a much bigger storm.

Kato, some of that is definitely hype, I have to remind myself ever so often of the actual distances involved and the way the storm lessens as it travels over land. At least this time the reporters aren't standing in one inch of water trying desperately to justify being there.

I think the amazing thing is how fast the water will come up in these coastal areas that are beach-front. I've read Isaac's Storm, which is a great book about the Great Storm of 1900, which was the devastating storm that resulted in the building of the sea wall. (the sea wall only protects the east end of the beach, which is why the west end was flooded before noon this morning.) It's unbelievable how fast water can rise as it's coming in from the Gulf.

I read that book, too.

I'm starting to get tired and it took me ten minutes to figure out what you mean. Did you find one? I'm going to make a big thermos of coffee before the storm hits. I think I've got some instant coffee from making fudge last Christmas. Coffee is an essential!

No. I drove to my regular one in Bellaire and it was closed. So, I just made a cup here at home. They have a new creamer out called Black Cherry Streusal which is ok as I usually don't like flavored creamers. Too sweet.

kato,
do you know we will be worried about you, please if your power is down for a while, get someone to post here that you are ok, just out raking pinestraw!

janpat,
i admire your attutude..... sometimes we must decide what is most important & i think you have your priorities straight.

i have a cousin in kingswood who spent all day securing pool furniture & other outdoor missles while her husband attached the hurricane shutters..... she just emailed her whole outside houston addressbook saying " they are prepared & we should enjoy having electricity & especially the a/c , as they will likely be without for a few hours or days.

Godspeed everyone!

No. I drove to my regular one in Bellaire and it was closed. So, I just made a cup here at home. They have a new creamer out called Black Cherry Streusal which is ok as I usually don't like flavored creamers. Too sweet.

Bummer!

We're getting ready to hunker down, with the prediction that the hurricane force winds will start hitting the coast. This window in my study (upstairs) gives a good rattle ever so often.

I swore I wouldn't read any hurricane books during hurricane season but I caved and started reading Breach of Faith about Katrina a couple of weeks ago.

I just don't like the fact that it's sitting out there stopped right now. I want it to come on in and not have a hint of strengthening.

Let's hope you have electricity continuously, Kato!
:blowkiss:

kato,
do you know we will be worried about you, please if your power is down for a while, get someone to post here that you are ok, just out raking pinestraw!

janpat,
i admire your attutude..... sometimes we must decide what is most important & i think you have your priorities straight.

i have a cousin in kingswood who spent all day securing pool furniture & other outdoor missles while her husband attached the hurricane shutters..... she just emailed her whole outside houston addressbook saying " they are prepared & we should enjoy having electricity & especially the a/c , as they will likely be without for a few hours or days.

Godspeed everyone!

How can I do that without power?

They're saying heavy winds around 6:30. I doubt that. Nothings stirring around here. I think I'm gonna go take a walk and check out the bayou. Take some before pics. Be back in a bit.

He (Ike) is a 2 at 110 mph - right on the brink of becoming a 3. Of course, at 110 mph, what's another 1 mph........

How can I do that without power?

They're saying heavy winds around 6:30. I doubt that. Nothings stirring around here. I think I'm gonna go take a walk and check out the bayou. Take some before pics. Be back in a bit.

Are you getting any gusts yet? We're getting some pretty good ones but just gusts so far. You should see the hedge in our backyard--it's about two feet higher than the fence and very dense--it's bowing over en masse about two feet now. We just stood outside and said good bye to it now. You can really see the direction of the wind, that hedge is bowing over and yet the one perpendicular to it is almost motionless.

Cindy, that's okay, I didn't mean any disrespect. I remember 1983's Alicia very well. We lived in Northeast Houston right outside the 610 loop near 1-45. We lived in a two-story wood house on blocks. Sometime in the middle of the night, my parents grabbed my little sisters and ran downstairs fearing the roof was going to be blown off. I looked outside my window and it was one big blur of debris, branches, etc. flying around. Miraculously, that old wooden house survived and with all the pine trees (Kato!) not one fell on the house. Seriously, the Man Upstairs was watching out for us. Some people were not as fortunate. We didn't have electricity for awhile and the generator wasn't enough so we wound up squeezing the 6 of us in a hotel room for nearly a week because it was HOT afterwards.

Hang on to your hats, my fellow Houstonians and beyond!

SD, I didn't take anything you said as being disrespectful...don't worry about (just be happy--as the song goes..LOL). :blowkiss:

Are you getting any gusts yet? We're getting some pretty good ones but just gusts so far. You should see the hedge in our backyard--it's about two feet higher than the fence and very dense--it's bowing over en masse about two feet now. We just stood outside and said good bye to it now. You can really see the direction of the wind, that hedge is bowing over and yet the one perpendicular to it is almost motionless.

Getting a little windy. Gotta find some fresh batteries and go back out. Will wear sunglasses as chit was blowing in my eyes.

AWWWWWWWWWWW Fruck it!!! I'm tired of this new technology. Digital cameras, i-pods, mp3, etc. I buy them and can't frickin, figure them out. Then I just end up chucking them. Have no kids around to help me figure this chit out and the directions they give these days aren't worth crap. I'm gonna get a good ole fashioned camera next time. Sorry, for the rant.

Should I break out the wine yet?

Have some light trash blowin' across the street at the country club. That's about it right now.

Is Dallas going to be affected by this storm? Our neighbor is flying there tomorrow for her daughter's brain surgery to remove a tumor.

Is Dallas going to be affected by this storm? Our neighbor is flying there tomorrow for her daughter's brain surgery to remove a tumor.

If anything maybe just some wind and rain. Maybe call the hospital? Prayers for her surgery.

AWWWWWWWWWWW Fruck it!!! I'm tired of this new technology. Digital cameras, i-pods, mp3, etc. I buy them and can't frickin, figure them out. Then I just end up chucking them. Have no kids around to help me figure this chit out and the directions they give these days aren't worth crap. I'm gonna get a good ole fashioned camera next time. Sorry, for the rant.

Should I break out the wine yet?

I did. :crazy:

Seriously, take care of yourself with the bayou issues.

I agree about all the tech issues, sometimes I have to get my younger daughter to help. The older one is too darn snotty about it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynbot
Back