Hurricane Irma

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DCT_SPECIAL24_1280x720.jpg

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...w-florida-southeast-caribbean-impacts-matthew

I'm in central Florida, about an hour north of Orlando. We're far enough inland that hurricanes shutters are not required. The vast majority of electric lines are underground, with the the huge feeder lines above. My home is new so it is built to the highest hurricane standards.

Nevertheless, people are in a panic. No gas, no bottled water and no D cell batteries.

I have a nice LED lamp, but need to get a battery radio.

I'm in Al above the FL panhandle. I went shopping this morning and got just enough supplies to get by if our power goes out. I don't usually do things like that,but this one has me worried and I wanted to avoid the crowd. I just bought a few extra groceries and enough batteries for a set for DHflashlight. I bought a 3 wick candle to go with what I have. We have a gas stove so we will be good . What happens here is , if the hurricane makes landfall near Panama City or vicinity, it's down graded to a TS by the time we get hit. Power is usually out a few days and some trees down. I'm remembering Dennis and Opal.

Henry

Have you ever watched 160 sustained ,gusts 220 with five days of 87 degree water to cruise over ?

I have not

Irma is genuinely scaring me.

My brother offered us room at his home in Orlando and we may be headed that way before the end of the week is out.

Maybe what is scaring me even more...

A recurring dream I have had for years that involved oceanside, water rising higher and higher, up the side of buildings, higher than me, drowning out everything...

I hope this is not it.

Plus the whole news about Hurricane Irma coming up so quickly is no help - my stomach got sick this morning before I left for work.

Now I am praying that Irma will be over soon, hopefully downgraded to a 3 or 2 when it reaches us.

For everyone here in FL and surrounding areas, stay safe!

Henry

Have you ever watched 160 sustained ,gusts 220 with five days of 87 degree water to cruise over ?

I have not

Cariis- neither have I....and I'm not game....running for the hills if Irma decides to vacation in Charleston...

This is a very dangerous storm! I'm not much into telling people what to do. We have to each make our own decisions. I can speak for myself. Its not worth losing my life or fighting for my life to stay in a cat3 or greater hurricane. My husband and I are extremely prepared...but even saying that, I don't plan to stay. This storm is beyond anything this country has experienced in the past!!

Be safe....

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Will the virgin islands even withstand a direct hit? That's a scary forecast if it remains accurate.

I always try to remain calm until I'm in the 3 day cone, but this beast of a storm has my stomach in knots.

Will the virgin islands even withstand a direct hit? That's a scary forecast if it remains accurate.
Yes it is. Hopefully the islands are better prepared than the last time a big one came through. Ivan put Cayman Islands off the radar because of flooding and they were already below sea level. I fear for the Virgin Islands....

OK.. Cariis and Henry and others have the technical stuff as to the storm. I'd like to take the BIG R for mapping traffic two times a day or so for folks here so folks know when the interstates are :gaah: :pullhair: time to go!

As this IS the go to place for us all :grouphug:

Right now... big map, later I'll do Florida. It shows traffic now in TX and Miami is RED areas.

attachment.php

googlemaps.com 9:50 am 9/5/2017

Good idea for the maps maps to be updated through the day/night.

But just as an FYI, for some reason when things are made as an "attachment" like you did they never show up for many of us. might be because I am usually on an iPad, but I don't know that for sure. Best to give a link, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Now ... you stay safe and dry and be extra alert and careful, please. I cannot keep worrying over y'all like this. These storms have to STOP!

Good idea for the maps maps to be updated through the day/night.

But just as an FYI, for some reason when things are made as an "attachment" like you did they never show up for many of us. might be because I am usually on an iPad, but I don't know that for sure. Best to give a link, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Now ... you stay safe and dry and be extra alert and careful, please. I cannot keep worrying over y'all like this. These storms have to STOP!

BBM

Don't I know it - Hurricane Harvey decided to smack Sarasota and Manatee Counties with its tail when it hit Texas.

Sigh. :(

Oops, negligent in my duties, but RL called!

Anywho, this is at this moment (9/5 @ 7:15 pm eastern) the google traffic in the Keys, with MANDATORY evacuation starting tomorrow at sunrise.

MapKeys9-5at715pm.jpg
googlemaps.com (with traffice)

ETA: The expert :websleuther: above says to include a link, and the link changes if you open so you'll get current time that you open it? :dunno:

I'm intrigued to show the time differences on traffic, like those above are doing comparisons with the models and how they change day to day/hour to hour

https://www.google.com/maps/@24.8819129,-81.064201,10z/data=!5m1!1e1

For my learning purposes, can I get feedback if the jpeg is showing or not now? TIA :seeya: :wave: Especially interested in you Ipad folks. Also, I have found that sometimes it doesn't show, but when someone replies to it, it does show :confused:

ETA #2: I just looked back to see that Spelz was the one who requested!!! seeya: Spelz!! lol, I was at my limit of 5 emoticons, so you don't get an emoticon, sorry giggle:

For my learning purposes, can I get feedback if the jpeg is showing or not now? TIA :seeya: :wave:[/QUOTE]

Works for me....

Austin is still out at a lot of stations, drive by a couple on Sunday out here with their pumps covered.

Looks like that vacay to the Dominican on Friday is slipping further and further away.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got lucky today after work! I found a station that only had unleaded. There are bags over most pumps and hand written signs. It would be so much easier if they just took the numbers off the big sign if they don't have gas. Hate pulling in only to see that they are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just being out at Publix today after work (they, like everyone else, is out of water) - and on the roads - reminds me of that sci-fi movie "Panic in the Year Zero" with Ray Milland. Low budget Roger Corman movie but depicts a frighteningly 100% accurate picture of human nature during a major disaster.

I'm in central Florida, about an hour north of Orlando. We're far enough inland that hurricanes shutters are not required. The vast majority of electric lines are underground, with the the huge feeder lines above. My home is new so it is built to the highest hurricane standards.

Nevertheless, people are in a panic. No gas, no bottled water and no D cell batteries.

I have a nice LED lamp, but need to get a battery radio.

Go Gators!!!!!! (Assume you live near Gainesville lol)

Amazon Prime would come in really handy right now for folks re batteries? Hmmmmm. I would think that Home Depot with the best logistics next to Walmart would get them in and restock. Order/pickup?

Not to cause confusion but only to demonstrate how hard it is the forecast this situation, see a recent GFS model that's not widely distributed yet. The models are running faster than the media....who woulda thought? :)

Rather than hitting Florida, it turns much quicker than previous models, passes by Florida on the east coast, and hits SC/NC border. Will be interesting to see if this version hangs around in the next run or moves on to oblivion...

Its all about the turn.
All southeast states are at risk.

b46e3dd0c25c64ce14d5f7474c5f4c23.jpg

Friends on Facebook visiting posted that Key West Airport is closing tomorrow at Noon; they are taking a bus to Fort Lauderdale in order to evacuate.

___

Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday suspended all tolls in Florida.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/weathe...ing-florida-with-category-4-intensity/2336263

____

Someone asked about Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands and I found their update:

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for all Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. * STORM INFORMATION: - About 420 miles east-southeast of San Juan PR or about 350 miles east-southeast of Saint Thomas VI - 17.1N 59.8W - Storm Intensity 185 mph - Movement West or 280 degrees at 15 mph SITUATION OVERVIEW ------------------ Irma is expected to continue as a major hurricane as it approaches Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands. Irma is forecast to move just northeast of the local islands Wednesday afternoon through early Thursday Morning. Irma is expected to cause dangerous winds, storm surge, rip currents and rainfall impacts across the local islands. Hurricane force wind likely across the Northern U.S. Virgin Islands, Culebra, Vieques and Northeast Puerto Rico with strong tropical force winds elsewhere. Rainfall accumulations between 4 to 8 inches with isolated amounts over 12 are likely Wednesday through Friday.

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=7f0a5b7ee8166b14&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member